Author Topic: QuickFire TK with MX Blues  (Read 7717 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
QuickFire TK with MX Blues
« on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 06:54:26 »

A CoolerMaster QuickFire TK with MX Blues

First and foremost, I want to thank Missalaire for letting me borrow this board. I’ve been a horrible friend and kept the board for way way longer than I should have; to the tune of three months. And worse, it’s taken me two months just to write it when I promised her she’d have it back inside three weeks. Regardless, she’s awesome and I got to try out this board.

What drew me to this board is that I really need a number-pad at work but I wanted a smaller form factor keyboard. I wast testing this keyboard to see if it would be a good office board and I think it would be.

Aesthetics
I like the size of the board. It’s not exactly a full size so it’s not too big. And the bezel isn’t ridiculous. It’s only slightly larger length-wise (from left-to-right in the top picture) than my KMAC. In the top right, the Num/Caps/Scroll Locks are placed very oddly though. And the font is horrific. However, I do like their little flame logo and the CM Storm logo on the front edge.

Only two logos on the board besides the sticker on the bottom

One of the best surprises about this board: THEY GOT RID OF THE RUBBERIZED COATING. That was by far my least favorite thing about the QFR. My mice/boards can get REALLY dirty and I’ve had rubberized mice in the past that just trapped the dirt. Don’t want the board to get dirty.  I understand that there are QFR tops that aren’t rubberized though. Regardless, the TK doesn’t have it and I’m happy.

My primary complaint is WHY IS THIS THING SO BRIGHT?? My eyes are still recovering from the brightest mode. That’s one of my biggest complaints about this board; most of the LED modes are far too bright and silly.

This was bright enough to help guide ships at sea. Why??

I seriously couldn’t handle the board at anything but the two lowest settings. Also pulse mode? Dumbest thing ever, it doesn’t look cool and is just annoying. It’s like the keyboard is needy and wants my attention. At the lower settings, the LEDs looked nice when they show through the caps.

The plate is blue and the caps have a bit of spacing around them; it’s a nice touch.

Oh, and the caps have the horrible QFR/CM font. It hurts my eyes just to look at it.

Caps removed so you can see the plate

Keyboard Macro Details
Pretty sure this board has a nice thick plate in it like the QFR does. It’s got some decent weight to it. And the board is very stable when I type on it. The keyboard suffers from the same cable placement as the QFR, it’s underneath and cut into the body instead of on the edge like the KMAC or Pure. The cutout on this board was fortunate to be deep enough so that it wasn’t awkward to plug the USB cord in but I still am wary of cutouts. Also, the cable that came with this board was a very nice black paracord material.

There are pretty standard flip out feet which are very crisp and sturdy. And the front rubber feet anchor the board pretty well. I would venture the weight is around a pound. It’s not as hefty as say the Leopold FC700R but it’s not too light like my stock Pure was.

Cutout and Feet

Since I am borrowing this keyboard, I cannot take it apart. However, if the QFR is anything to go by, I suspect that the TK has a very nice thick plate and a lesser quality PCB. Not that It detracts from the usage or the board, but if you’re into modding, that might be an issue.

Typing on this keyboard
I really love how the Blues feel on this board. In fact, this is probably my second favorite Blues board that I’ve tried in terms of switch feel. In other words, Blues (and other switches) feel different on each keyboard you try. I still think that my Filco has the best feeling Blues. Regardless, the Blues feel medium-light to the touch with a nice actuation force and bottom out. In comparison my Leopold’s blues feel like they have a very long travel and the bottom out is a bit hard. Even with the dampening, it’s still a bit harsh but definitely not terrible now.

The stock keycaps on this are coated with what CM Storm calls “anti-slip coating”. I don’t have a clue as to what it is but I think it’s rubber and it feels horrible to me. It makes the caps a little sticky and grippy; it just feels bad and I hate it.

The shifted navigation cluster (page up, page down, delete, etc) are placed into a function layer in the tenkeypad. If you toggle the number lock off, the nav cluster works. Toggle it on, the number pad works. It’s very intuitive and I like it. The media keys are also very nice. I think I’m actually going to program my KMAC to have some. I really like them.

Number pad/Nav pad

Typing on the mod row actually felt less awkward that I thought it would. But the issue is that I really like replacing keycaps and the bottom row is:
    1.25x – 1x – 1.25x – 6.5x – 1.2x – 1x – 1x – 1.25x.
Short of buying another TK that is white, you don’t have very many options for swapping since the spacebar is off; which I’m not a fan of.

Edit: kmiller8 verified the modifier row dimensions here.

I also did not understand the 6KRO and NKRO swap. I think I read that Apple products can’t handle NKRO so you need to switch to 6KRO to get the board to work.

Final Thoughts

I really really enjoy this keyboard. It has one of the most unique and functional layouts I’ve ever tried. And it was very natural for me to get used to it. I like the blue LEDs, switches, and plate. It looks great in terms of the change in the branding.

I wasn’t really into the keycaps or the font OR HOW BRIGHT THE LEDs WERE, but I think I might be able to overlook that. I would say this is a fine board to use in an office environment. It still has a number pad but has a slightly smaller form factor which brings my hands closer together, which feel nice.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 December 2013, 12:51:45 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Altis

Re: QuickFire TK with MX Blues
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 16:37:19 »
............... In other words, Blues (and other switches) feel different on each keyboard you try.........

Very good point.  In fact, I've found that even similar/sister models can feel and sound different from one another.  I was just looking at this keyboard with Cherry Reds and the standard CM QFR with Reds as well, and I found this one typed noticably smoother (small hint of plastic rubbing sound on the QFR).  I've even experienced a notably different feel between different builds of the same keyboard.

Thanks for the review.  Can you talk about how you felt about the numbpad+arrows combination?
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 16:38:12 »
The plate is so beautiful
I love Elzy

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 09:11:41 »
Thanks for the review.  Can you talk about how you felt about the numbpad+arrows combination?

It felt pretty natural to me once I figured out the num lock toggle. The learning curve really wasn't bad at all.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 09:28:59 »

It felt pretty natural to me once I figured out the num lock toggle. The learning curve really wasn't bad at all.

Have your read kmiller's thoughts on this board?? Just wondering if you had any similar complaints with the numberpad setup.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45033.0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 09:31:10 »
No, I don't share his complaints. I didn't have any issues with that.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 10:37:55 »
No, I don't share his complaints. I didn't have any issues with that.

I was just wondering because I like the layout and there is supposed to be a new version out with fixed firmware.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 11:23:13 »
Blue plate. *drool*

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 11:32:33 »
I was just wondering because I like the layout and there is supposed to be a new version out with fixed firmware.

OOo, maybe I got one of the new firmware keyboards? I can ask missalaire when she got the board.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 11:37:34 »

OOo, maybe I got one of the new firmware keyboards? I can ask missalaire when she got the board.

Well I'm thinking maybe so since the plate is also blue....I think that's a new thing they just started as well.