Author Topic: [IC] GMK Vaporwave R2  (Read 88659 times)

Offline falzm

Re: [IC] GMK Vaporwave R2
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 01:43:42 »
Happy to see this set return and I'd join, but please run the second round identical to the first round: this way there is no color matching to do with GMK thus a faster turnaround – or else consider renaming into "GMK Vaporwave 2" or "Vaporwave++" if you change colors.

Offline elisyan

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 02:49:54 »
My favorite thing about this set has always been the combination of the in-your-face pink alpha legends and the muted alpha color.

That said, I always felt like the mod purple and teal are tones that are a bit too cold.

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 06:25:07 »
I love seeing alice support in base. Just gimme some good 40's and I'm yours, even if it's just 3 key support.

Offline whezil

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 08:07:19 »
No matter how many times I see this set it always looks so trippy. I feel like the new colors pop even more, if that's even possible. 
I'm really glad R2 is coming around, I wish I never missed the first one, so just another long wait lol.

Offline P103

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 10:40:09 »
I personally prefer the brighter and more saturated colors on R2, also definitely in for a katakana.

Offline Arithmetics

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 11:37:17 »
Rama has been refusing to rerun anything previously run before. Hopefully that isnt the case for the Vaporwave X as i want it lol

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 12:22:33 »
Happy to see this set return and I'd join, but please run the second round identical to the first round: this way there is no color matching to do with GMK thus a faster turnaround – or else consider renaming into "GMK Vaporwave 2" or "Vaporwave++" if you change colors.

Will definitely consider a round two specific name, if we end up in that territory.

And I hear you on the fast turn around. Will be doing my best to make things as efficient as possible.

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 12:39:33 »
My favorite thing about this set has always been the combination of the in-your-face pink alpha legends and the muted alpha color.

That said, I always felt like the mod purple and teal are tones that are a bit too cold.

I feel you

Yeah the mod purple ended up on the cooler side to give that teal/cyan a good seat.

I tried GMK's stock purple a while back (to reduce cost and turnaround), but things got a little funky.

I'll continue experimenting though and if a warmer mod option plays out, I'll be sure to get everyone's thoughts and potentially slap it onto another round of vw.

Thanks for your feedback

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 12:43:02 »
I love seeing alice support in base. Just gimme some good 40's and I'm yours, even if it's just 3 key support.

What keys do you need buddy?  :)

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 12:46:19 »
Rama has been refusing to rerun anything previously run before. Hopefully that isnt the case for the Vaporwave X as i want it lol

I'm sure we could work something out for r2 even if it's not the r1 X.  :thumb:

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 12:46:51 »
Will you consider running 2 base kits, one with latin alphas only and the other with sublegends? I joined this hobby in 2020 and missed the first round. I don't want to pay for a second round with subs since I prefer the clean look of mono latin.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 13:09:13 »
Will you consider running 2 base kits, one with latin alphas only and the other with sublegends? I joined this hobby in 2020 and missed the first round. I don't want to pay for a second round with subs since I prefer the clean look of mono latin.
No, that's probably not the best idea, 2 base kits will mess with MOQ/drive prices up. The best thing to do it just add the question to the IC form to survey what people want as the the base kit alphas.
You will probably get what you want. The majority of people seem to have bad taste, and prefer mono-legends for some absurd reason... :p (I kid)

(And again, just add the sunset novelty, it belong to the Vaporwave theme more then Laser.)
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 April 2021, 13:10:47 by Havattack »

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 13:28:53 »
I'd say it depends.
If the poll is close to 50/50 I'd say running 2 base kit is much better. If the split is over 70/30 then running only 1 base kit with alternate alphas makes sense.
Popular sets can still target 120$/130$ base kit while running 2 base kits.

I think a base latin only and a base katakana sub would be nice and if I had to guess would be fairly close in sales.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 01:39:15 »
I'd say it depends.
If the poll is close to 50/50 I'd say running 2 base kit is much better. If the split is over 70/30 then running only 1 base kit with alternate alphas makes sense.
Popular sets can still target 120$/130$ base kit while running 2 base kits.

I think a base latin only and a base katakana sub would be nice and if I had to guess would be fairly close in sales.

You make a very good point.

Offline AlfredK

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 06:14:19 »
This looks amazing in my opinion, I own the R1 and i really love them but only minor complaint for me is the alpha legends is not bright enough under a brighter light.

This R2 pretty much fixes all of my minor complaints with the R1. Definitely Sold on this one. <3

Offline leexy

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 12:31:49 »
the cyan accents not so contrast irl

Offline Ciantha

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 15:08:37 »

3-key support for 40s is adding the 3 keys below to the base kit:
  • R2 1.75 backspace
  • R3 1.25 tab
  • R3 1.5 enter

The nice thing about adding these to base is that one doesn't have to worry about MOQ for a 40s kit and can still physically support a great chunk of staggered 40s.

If you're aiming for a MOQ around 1000 it might be worth making a dedicated 40s kit. A good starting point for that would be GMK Seafarer's 40s kit. You could also stop by the keycap designer discord 40s channel where some great 40s kitting people will be able to help you out.

Offline chowder266

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 18:41:36 »

They could possibly do a different but similar colorway!

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 20:42:14 »
the wait is finally over!

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 12:12:17 »
the wait is finally over!

Sorry about the long wait buddy

Offline Crazy Designers

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 21:17:01 »
instant buy for me  ;D ;D
Future Art Community.

Offline futurekatsu

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 22:54:49 »
Excited! It's a buy for me

Offline OmoideAeternum

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 23:45:01 »
Definitely keeping my eye on this.

Anyone know of any good artisan deskmats that go well with this?

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 19:48:19 »
Definitely keeping my eye on this.

Anyone know of any good artisan deskmats that go well with this?

I realize this is only a half answer to your question, but I'm aiming for deskmats this time around. If you don't find one by the time of the GB, hopefully there will be one for you there  :thumb:

Offline gminso

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 21:25:40 »
these renders are with deeper colors right? looks good :thumb: and would like to see katakana since I see too many hiragana.

Offline Whale_algorithm

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 09:02:33 »
I am so in let's gooo!

Edit: would you consider doing icon + text on the mods like the original?
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 April 2021, 10:12:43 by Whale_algorithm »

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 11:41:17 »
these renders are with deeper colors right? looks good :thumb: and would like to see katakana since I see too many hiragana.

Yes, two of the colors in these renders are more "definite" compared to round one.

I'll chalk up another for katakana.

Thanks for your feedback

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 11:44:13 »
I am so in let's gooo!

Edit: would you consider doing icon + text on the mods like the original?

Icon + text is certainly not out of the picture completely, but truthfully it looks like we're heading towards icon mods unless we get a tsunami of people that demand otherwise.  :)

Offline Gamelon

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 12:30:02 »
Weeb alphas in base kit pretty please :D

Offline Havattack

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 16:23:22 »
Weeb alphas in base kit pretty please :D
NP added that as a question to the surrey form, SO EVERYBODY, ATTENTION: if you all ready filled out the IC, and want sublegends on the base kit, FILL OUT THE IC AGAIN please! (and if you don't want sub-legends in the base kit... don't worry about.. I'm sure you have better things to do then fill out some silly IC form....)
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 April 2021, 16:25:05 by Havattack »

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 17:42:51 »
personally id rather see hiragana return over katakana. on the icon mod vs text/icon mod debate i dont have real preference that said if the r1 mods make a return please consider a single line backspace legend for the 1.5u backspace key. the double line backspace is the only thing that kind of irks me from my r1 set.

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 12:37:16 »
personally id rather see hiragana return over katakana. on the icon mod vs text/icon mod debate i dont have real preference that said if the r1 mods make a return please consider a single line backspace legend for the 1.5u backspace key. the double line backspace is the only thing that kind of irks me from my r1 set.

Hiragana does look a bit cleaner as sub legends. Kata gets a little crazy, but we'll have to see what the people want

Are you talking about:

Back
Space

v.s.

Backspace

?

Offline krikun98

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 16:19:11 »
HOLY HELL YES YES YES FINALLY

Vaporwave ran just before I started out in the hobby, and I just love it. A couple suggestions:
More 1U R3/R4 novelties. I know ortho is a niche, but I basically only use splits, and they can use a lot of these. Even cyan blanks would be great. R1 wasn't bad for this, but the suns were, I think, R1 only? I don't even own a board with R1.

Would definitely like to see side by side renders, but the alpha color has to be the most "rip your eyes out" available.

Is MT3 a possibility? Probably not, with Drop's approach to kitting, but I just thought I'd ask.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 22:42:02 »

Vaporwave ran just before I started out in the hobby, and I just love it. A couple suggestions:
More 1U R3/R4 novelties. I know ortho is a niche, but I basically only use splits, and they can use a lot of these. Even cyan blanks would be great. R1 wasn't bad for this, but the suns were, I think, R1 only? I don't even own a board with R1.

Would definitely like to see side by side renders, but the alpha color has to be the most "rip your eyes out" available.

Is MT3 a possibility? Probably not, with Drop's approach to kitting, but I just thought I'd ask.

"MG" seems to be close match to MT3, with the added bonus of not dealing with Drop..
But I'm down for any high profile over cherry. MG,MT3, SA, whatever.

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 00:13:43 »

3-key support for 40s is adding the 3 keys below to the base kit:
  • R2 1.75 backspace
  • R3 1.25 tab
  • R3 1.5 enter

The nice thing about adding these to base is that one doesn't have to worry about MOQ for a 40s kit and can still physically support a great chunk of staggered 40s.

If you're aiming for a MOQ around 1000 it might be worth making a dedicated 40s kit. A good starting point for that would be GMK Seafarer's 40s kit. You could also stop by the keycap designer discord 40s channel where some great 40s kitting people will be able to help you out.
Everything this guy said.

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 20:29:34 »

Thanks for the feedback buddy.

Little bit of history:
I actually tried to get this made in MT3 before settling on GMK, but back then they had their hands full with just trying to get the profile manufacturing worked out.

I also tried to get MT3 going right after R1 of GMK, but slots were filled up the wazoo haha

We'll see in the future. I'm an MT3 fan. Just have to wait until they've completed all of the classic and high volume sets I guess.

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 20:30:30 »

"MG" seems to be close match to MT3, with the added bonus of not dealing with Drop..

You guys know who deals with MG?

Offline acitrin

• https://acitrin.design/
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 21:09:47 »

Melgeek does. @muni_chang handles it these days

Offline krikun98

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 05:01:57 »
MG also doesn't seem as restricted with novelties as MT3. And I don't have it yet, so it'd be perfect for me!

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 12:07:17 »

Melgeek does. @muni_chang handles it these days

Thank you

Offline Havattack

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 14:10:17 »
Something i completely forgot about: The thing with MG is,  at least when the MG Ghost was in IC a couple months ago, they did not yet have ISO enter molds, or sub-legend capabilities. Which REALLY sucks. So if that is still the case, they probably are not an option. sigh.. 

Offline Viriid

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 20:18:31 »
I loved R1, but wasn't in the hobby when it came out. Would 100% buy this if it went to GB.

Offline mindcomputing

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 22 April 2021, 04:49:15 »
Would love a offcentered spacebar 6u for my 1800 keyboard

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:56:34 »

Hiragana does look a bit cleaner as sub legends. Kata gets a little crazy, but we'll have to see what the people want

Are you talking about:

Back
Space

v.s.

Backspace

?

correct single line Backspace just looks cleaner when the rest of the text/icon mods are all single line as well.

Offline Muenti

Re: GMK Vaporwave R2
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 00:54:08 »
Please, God, Norde for this one.

Yes, please!

Offline NaturalPack

• NaturalPack's Website
Re: GMK Vaporwave R2
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 20:52:36 »
Please, God, Norde for this one.

Yes, please!

The Norde struggles man haha

Can't make any promises, but it's on the list at the very least.

Offline BioOrpheus

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 12:15:04 »
Heres an idea for an alternative Alpha set. It goes really well 

Offline Havattack

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 18:59:59 »
meh. Hard pass. Much rather have some pink or cyan colored alphas, if there HAS to be alternate alphas, but i really just prefer the regular ones..

Offline peaceperfection

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 08:50:47 »
Interested, didn't get it during R1. I will not miss R2 this time round.

Offline dibkib

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 12:09:19 »
Can we please please please have a deskmat to go with it? I love my R1 but it'd look so much cooler with a Vaporwave deskmat!

I plopped it back on my keyboard last month and I still love how it looks. The neon pink is what I was expecting 8008 to be like (god that was an unpleasant surprise when it turned out the way it did...) and it just looks awesome.