Author Topic: GH60 rev. B betatesting!  (Read 42323 times)

Offline regack

Re: GH60 rev. B betatesting!
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 18:45:51 »
We did mentioned it previously here.

Using the RN-42 I think we are okay with software UART (I don't know about the WT giga - mine never went home, sniff)

... On the other hand, I think I'm going to use atmega8a for the backlight module for example, and this means I'll have just one pin left for communication ...
This guy does not have support for USB, we will have to use some firmware-only usb driver ...
The tmk firmware works on it? Your firmware will work on it?

IMHO, it's not a good moment to change the uC.
-1 atmega8a, sry.

Would not be easier to add one shift register like the mcp23017 or mcp23018??

Doesn't really need usb to drive the LEDs, he could use 1wire prototcol to tell it to change modes or whatever, and program the LED module separately with ISP.  Offloading the LED driving duties somewhere else is something I was also toying with, but I'm using an Attiny85 and an led driver

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 19:20:24 »
Okay, understood now - he will add another uC to drive the leds/ligths/fancy stuff. ;D
I got it totally wrong - sorry.
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline pix3l_fodder

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 16:05:45 »
out of interest, how would the LED module work? Will I require a case that has the available space for an expansion module, and if not will installing a module be done after the fact: installing the switches and LED's ready for such a module.

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 16:16:11 »
Yes, it will require a case with enough space, for example the poker case.
The module will have to be installed after everything else, but the pin header will have to be installed before the plate.
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline tlt

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 18:08:01 »
Found some problems when I tried to set up a ISO GH60 rev.C in Windows:

• ukbdc_gui crashed when I tried to program a layout. I have put up a pull request on GitHub with a fix.
  • mnemonics.py is missing: 100: "europe_2" which is needed on ISO layouts for the key right to left shift "<"
  • shift is not working together with the key right to left shift and the key right to enter. Feels like a problem with modifiers in firmware.
  • Space bar is not working, could be a hardware problem with my board, have to check

Now I need some sleep :p

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 12:26:44 »
Found some problems when I tried to set up a ISO GH60 rev.C in Windows:

• ukbdc_gui crashed when I tried to program a layout. I have put up a pull request on GitHub with a fix.
  • mnemonics.py is missing: 100: "europe_2" which is needed on ISO layouts for the key right to left shift "<"
  • shift is not working together with the key right to left shift and the key right to enter. Feels like a problem with modifiers in firmware.
  • Space bar is not working, could be a hardware problem with my board, have to check

Now I need some sleep :p

Thanks!
1. I added your commit to upstream
2. added europe_2
3. I don't really understand, what is not working? Is it a layout problem or the keys just won't register at all?
4. this looks like a hardware problem, yes;)

Offline tlt

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 15:56:49 »
Great!

For example if I hold down shift and press "<" (right to left shift on ISO) and that should give ">" but instead nothing happens. The sa me happens with the key left to enter that has the same scan code as "\" on ANSI but is in a different position on the PCB.

Space still does not work, I have checked the soldering and take the PCB out of the case to make sure it was  not a short against it. 

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 16:17:36 »
Strange. I programmed my z key to be europe_2 and it behaves correctly with shift... Maybe it's a problem with just this ISO key position. Does it work alone?

Offline tlt

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 16:22:56 »
Yes it works alone and I found a workaround! When I removed the layer shifting configuration from the shift keys they started working. But it's still fishy thought. Space is still not working, if I could get that working I could start using the board!   

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 16:47:52 »
Did you build the layout from scratch or did you use some existing one?
Maybe there's something wrong with the layout, the software isn't very stable yet...

Offline tlt

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 16:58:08 »
I based it on the one that came with the software and edited the .xml file to get the keys visible in the GUI .

I tried Hasu's firmware to see if I could get space going and now space is repeating as soon as I connect the keyboard until I press another key and space is still not working. I think I get the same behavior with a old version if your firmware. Any ideas what it could be?

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 17:08:27 »
If space is not working in hasu's firmware, then it can only be faulty board, faulty mcu pin or faulty switch. The last one is the easiest to check.

As for layout, if you edited xml file, the layouts created earlier might be invalid, so I'd create a layout from scratch which has only a couple keys to see if the key works with shift. If it does, you'll have to re-create the layout because your current one is broken.

Why did you edit the xml file in the first place? What was missing?

Offline tlt

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 17:18:07 »
Ok, it's working now but maybe I should recreate the whole mapping just to be sure. I think I only needed to change the size of the keys to make the  missing ISO keys visible in the GUI.

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 17:25:20 »
I thought the newest version had all the necessary keys on the sides of the layout (maybe those should be put into their places...)
Did you use the latest revision from github?

Offline tlt

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 17:50:14 »
I used the one linked to in this OP.

It's strange, I have measured the switch and the diode and they are ok. I have also tested to bypass all that and short the pins on the atmega directly and that does not work for space but for other keys on the same column and row as space in the matrix. Feels like this test rules out the switch, diode and the pins as they both work in combination with other pins. 
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 August 2015, 01:46:00 by tlt »

Offline tlt

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 03:25:37 »
I think I found the problem. I measured PB6, the pin connected to the column and it appear to be floating so I temporarily added an external pull up resistor and than space started to work! I'm going to test some more and than maybe add a patch, a real physical one that is ;-)

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 04:00:47 »
I think I found the problem. I measured PB6, the pin connected to the column and it appear to be floating so I temporarily added an external pull up resistor and than space started to work! I'm going to test some more and than maybe add a patch, a real physical one that is ;-)

Interesting. I've never had a broken pull-up on an atmega... Shame this happened on a board from our group-buy (or was it a different source?)...:/

Offline tlt

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 05:20:40 »
No it's the pre-soldered one that came with the PCB. It might have worked when I first got the board, I'm not sure. Don't know how I would have broken it thought. :-(
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 August 2015, 08:03:40 by tlt »

Offline tlt

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 13:46:10 »
I replaced the MCU and got space working. I nearly destroyed the PCB when de soldering it but it ended up ok in the end. Can't recommend doing it if it's not absolutely necessary or your very skilled at SMD soldering.