Author Topic: Making keycaps out of polyamide? -looking for 3d models!  (Read 1812 times)

Offline adhoc

Making keycaps out of polyamide? -looking for 3d models!
« on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 15:34:05 »
So it has come to my attention I have an old friend of mine who can do practically anything from polyamide. All he needs is 3D model, the rest is done by a machine with a laser melting dust layer by layer. Colours are not a problem and from what he tells me colours do not wash away with time.

Now my question is - anybody has any experience with polyamide keycaps?

If anybody has 3d models of keycaps I'm inviting you to send me them, so I can print a few keys from this plastic and test out the durability on them! Can be topre or MX!
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 December 2013, 15:50:25 by adhoc »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: Making keycaps out of polyamide? -looking for 3d models!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 22:34:41 »
i'm not a polymer chemist, but "polyamide" isn't very specific. all this really means is that he has access to an SLS polymer printer. we mostly deal with extrusion printing in the living 3d printing thread, but i think we're all perfectly happy to talk about sintering as well (except of course for a couple people.. ;)).

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline adhoc

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 01:39:37 »
I'm honestly not that good when it comes to plastics, I'm into calculations professionally. If my modeling capabilities are not too rusted I should be able to produce a 3d model of a keycap and try this out, just for the hell of it.

I'll ask if he can be more specific regarding the material.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 12:41:03 »
Have you tried to look at Thingiverse my friend?
I saw a few simple keycaps there.
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline adhoc

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 14:56:57 »
Have you tried to look at Thingiverse my friend?
I saw a few simple keycaps there.

Very nice!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31995

It's there! Thank you! I will definitely try to make one now that it's almost zero work just to try it out. Will report back!

EDIT:

i'm not a polymer chemist, but "polyamide" isn't very specific. all this really means is that he has access to an SLS polymer printer. we mostly deal with extrusion printing in the living 3d printing thread, but i think we're all perfectly happy to talk about sintering as well (except of course for a couple people.. ;)).
This is the plastic he will be using (PA2200 from EOS or Duraform PA from 3d Systems - same powder);

He got the 3D model and will create a few keycaps and high polish them. Will update this thread once I get my hands on them. Thank you all for now!
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 December 2013, 15:10:33 by adhoc »

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 18:38:03 »
He got the 3D model and will create a few keycaps and high polish them. Will update this thread once I get my hands on them. Thank you all for now!
Polish?? Nahhh
Take a look into this video:
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB