Author Topic: I made a key cap.  (Read 12415 times)

Offline daftendire

I made a key cap.
« on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 19:26:54 »
After lurking around here for a bit, I became obsessed with custom key caps. But since I never seem to be online when an artisan key cap sale goes live, I've decided to try my hand as creating some myself. My only issue starting out was that everyone seems a bit elusive with their molding process. There were some decent nuggets of information in sub forum however... enough to get me started in the right direction. Maybe.

Beware of over sized potato pics.

My starting key cap was a signature plastics DSA cap, since that's what I've become accustomed too. I wanted it a slightly smaller profile than what I've seen so far so I chose that over the OEM cap on the Poker II.

My sculpting material of choice is Apoxie Sculpt. After failing with carving wax I had to break down and buy this two part epoxy. The only down side for me was its' very long cure time... 24 hours. Since the design I was going after called for clean, hard lines, I had to wait for it to cure after each application... which was many. Creating my original this way took me forever.
It was inspired by a spartan helmet.

Next step was to create a two part silicone mold. I used Alumilite Quick Set silicone. I'm still experimenting with my mold techniques and sprue locations.
Currently using 5 sprues located on the bottom mold. One in each corner and the fifth one on the cherry mx stem. I can get a better pic of this if someone's interested. I have no idea if this is over kill, since this is the only bit of information I can't find disclosed throughout this forum.

Next is the resin. I used Alumilite white casting resin since it was the lowest viscosity, besides the translucent options. Since I have no pressure pot, clear resins aren't an option at this point. I also used Alumilite florescent Green as the pigment.

By using a 6 cc syringe I injected my resin into one of the sprue holes untill it flowed out of the remaining 4 sprues.  My silicone mold was also preheated under a ceramic heat lamp(originally used for reptiles) before and after injecting the resin to assist in proper curing. You could use an oven but I thought that would be kind of wasteful for my small key cap.

This picture gives a better explanation of my sprue placement. The 5th sprue is not present. It broke off.

All of my efforts rewarded me with this. A flawless specimen. *excitement intensifies*

But then I was cursed with a streak of failure.

Reasons varied from incorrect resin mixture ratios to mixing resin too vigorously and introducing too much air into the mixture. Also my sprue locations and technique is suspect since I have no idea what I'm doing in that department. So far I have one perfect cast from one of my first attempts, no air bubbles or defects. I have since created several others with some very miniscule defects such as tiny bubbles on the underside of the key cap. These are acceptable for my Poker but I have yet to create another perfect specimen.

Money shot.

All in all I have about 60 dollars sunk into this little project. I'm continuing to experiment but this is where I'm at for the time being. I need to figure out some proper techniques and most likely lurk more threads covering the same topic.

As far as materials go, I am satisfied with the alumilite products that I've tried so far. Quality stuff. One material that I might need to swap out though is the white resin which seems to be a bit soft. It might be user error ratio wise, but I can't seem to get the casts as hard as the original abs keys. They're not quite gummy but they're definitely not rock hard either. 

I will update upon further experimentation.

Bonus picture!

Thanks for the support guys.

Someone inboxed me for a more detailed explanation of my process. So I took more potato quality pictures.

I start off with my measuring cup and syringe. I dab some dye into the bottom of the empty cup. Then try my best to pour 2 CC of part A of the 2 part resin mix into the cup and stir *carefully*.
Then I pour in 2 CC of part B and stir. As soon as part B hits, the mixture is chemically activated and you need to stir swiftly but introduce as little air as possible. I can't stress that last part enough since I'm not working with a pressure pot.

Before I mix the resin together I collect the mold from my makeshift oven. When the mixture is complete, I take it into the syringe and inject it into the corner sprue of the preheated mold until excess resin flows from the 4 other sprues. The mold is held together with electrical tape. It then goes back under the heat lamp for 5 minutes.

In this picture you can see clearly where the sprues are located. I drilled these holes from the other side(the inside out) after I created the 2 part silicone mold because this was easier for me than trying to attach 5 tooth picks to my original and then silicone mold that.

When it's ready, it looks like this. I trim off the top excess puddle before separating the mold which lets the material in the sprues pull though the silicone easily, if cured correctly.

This was a 99.5% successful cast of a minty green spartan. There's a miniscule bubble in one of the bottom corners. :thumb:

I'm updating again with news that I've worn out my silicone mold. Bits of it has broken off inside one of the cast resin caps. They only have a small amount of uses, it seems. Too bad silicone takes so long to cure :(

One thing I wish I had to improve my success rate would be a sensitive gram scale to measure my resin mixture with. At the moment I'm trying to eyeball 50-50 volume ratios which is tricky when your total volume only needs to be like 4 CC's.... when I add more dye to the mixture it gets even more tricky. More than 50% of my casts turn out way too soft due to inaccurate measuring.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 June 2014, 19:14:05 by daftendire »

Offline daftendire

Re: I made a key cap.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 19:27:46 »
Reserved for updates and things.

Offline D01

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 19:31:05 »
That's hella cool.

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 19:31:51 »
These look cool, really nice and simple design.

I'm intrigued.

Offline feizor

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 19:32:16 »
Awesome dude!

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 19:56:37 »
Great looking cap! The spartan design looks awesome!

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 20:27:40 »
I would buy your keycap, depending on how it looks next to cherry profile caps.

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 20:35:19 »
Nice job, I really dig the design and clean lines.
Put me down for one at least!

Offline daftendire

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 20:56:46 »

Here's a perspective shot for those interested. It's only about 1 or 2 mm higher than the DSA cap. Compared to the OEM cap it's quite short (not pictured). I started this project as a whim and didn't even think about how it would look compared with regular cherry height caps.

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 21:12:05 »
I'm glad you took the plunge, this board could really use another artisan cap crafter. You should keep writing about your trial and error, and processes/techniques. Might help others try it out as well.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 23:09:07 »
A crafter after my own heart!

Awesome work man.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 00:20:36 »
This is pretty inspiring. Really cool design and great work man.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 01:24:10 »
This is clean and I ****ing love it.
;)

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 08:06:43 »
Is there any way for others to get a hold of one these that you're planning on?
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 June 2014, 08:15:24 by Frenir »

Offline D01

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 10:14:16 »
.....You should keep writing about your trial and error, and processes/techniques. Might help others try it out as well.

This.

Offline BliTzKiN

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 11:20:26 »
Those are really great results! Really interesting to read about how the caps we own go from start to finish

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 11:29:50 »
awesome hand work man!
red and black would remember 300 ...
just came to my mind
wanna sell a few?
8-))
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 11:44:55 »
Whoa looks very clean man, it's like an iron warrior mask. Very cool :)

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 12:45:05 »
Awesome work. I myself am working on creating as well and the more threads that help the better in my opinion.

I'd also love to support your work so if/when you put these up for sale I'd be down for a few.

Offline tgujay

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 13:13:55 »
You've got plenty of comments telling you how awesome these are but I'm throwing mine in as well, these are so clean and sexy.  Looking forward to see your progress!
Gotta collect them all

Offline daftendire

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 17:14:41 »
I appreciate all the positive comments :D I updated the post with some more in depth info on my casting procedures. Any criticism and advice would be appreciated as well.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 06:38:07 »
During your initial sculpting process, how did you get the sides so flat? Also, how did you manage to avoid finger prints? The original looks very solid and clean :D Also, have you considered making thicker walls under the cap for durability and possibly adding some kind of inscription underneith the cap as a way of kind of signing your design?
;)

Offline D01

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 08:59:05 »
They remind me of the Moai heads on Easter Island.  I want a green one and like a rusty brown one.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 June 2014, 09:01:35 by D01 »

Offline daftendire

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 10:30:23 »
During your initial sculpting process, how did you get the sides so flat? Also, how did you manage to avoid finger prints? The original looks very solid and clean :D Also, have you considered making thicker walls under the cap for durability and possibly adding some kind of inscription underneith the cap as a way of kind of signing your design?

Once the apoxie sculp cures it's very hard. I give it a rough sculpting before it fully cures to get a general shape. After it hardens I use a razorblade to cut in my hard corners and flat angles. I then finish off the piece with 400 grit sand paper to even out the angles and give it the desired finish. Its not perfect but close.

The side walls are about twice as thick as the original keycap. I made sure to build them up. I may be able to make them thicker but its difficult working inside the cap. I ran into clearance issues around the switch mounted led originally so that's why there is a cut out section inside .

As for an inscription inside... I ran out of patience and decided to mold it with out one. Its also not as clean on the underside so I wasn't going to sign an uncompleted cap.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 11:27:01 »
I thought the walls looked thicker, although I wasn't 100% sure. It really sounds like you know what you're doing! Hopefully maybe you can get an little inscription in your next design if all goes well :)
;)

Offline daftendire

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 18:09:14 »
I thought the walls looked thicker, although I wasn't 100% sure. It really sounds like you know what you're doing! Hopefully maybe you can get an little inscription in your next design if all goes well :)

I wish I knew what I was doing! My success rate is abysmal at the moment and I keep wearing out silicone molds due to all the duds I've been creating. Progress is slow.

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 18:14:46 »
Wow, these are quite cool looking!
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 18:15:18 »
Very pretty. I'm impressed :)
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 18:15:53 »
Really cool. :thumb:

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 18:28:12 »
I wish I knew what I was doing! My success rate is abysmal at the moment and I keep wearing out silicone molds due to all the duds I've been creating. Progress is slow.

You have a much higher grasp on this than most people start with.  Keep it up and please realize that we ALL have duds.

A 100% yield comes maybe once in a few months.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline daftendire

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 18:49:07 »

You have a much higher grasp on this than most people start with.  Keep it up and please realize that we ALL have duds.

A 100% yield comes maybe once in a few months.

Thanks for the pep talk. I need to rethink some of my steps because recently I just had a terrible run and wore out a mold without any usable caps. :mad: Might have to look into a different silicone after I run out of Alumilite Quick-set. I don't think its durable enough for my application.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 18:58:04 »
Wear out mold? I've never had that happen with mine. Only time a mold started cracking was because it was wrongly mixed to start with

Offline daftendire

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 19:04:30 »
Wear out mold? I've never had that happen with mine. Only time a mold started cracking was because it was wrongly mixed to start with

They don't develop cracks... but tiny bits of the mold break off close to the hard corners inside the mold. They're not huge but it definitely distorts the clean lines on the cast piece enough to notice.
Thinking these might be caused by micro air bubbles since I'm not using a vacuum on the silicone

Just read that the tear strength of my silicone is very low @ 20 ppi. Pretty sure this is the root of my problems.
 Does anyone have a recommendation on what silicone product works well for them?
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 June 2014, 20:21:16 by daftendire »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 21:34:15 »
Any nicer stuff will require a degassing chamber, which can get pricey.  If you stick with the Alumilite, use a mold release, cure the mold, find the sweet spot timewise for demolding (too long and it can tear, too short and it deforms the cap, just right and it minimalizes both), and think about your master, if it has too many fine details that might tear.  Those help the Alumilite molds last longer.  Otherwise, plan on plopping down $150+ for a proper pump and chamber.

Offline daftendire

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 10:06:58 »
Thanks for the insight. I'll have to experiment further with this silicone until I run out of it. Maybe I'll rig together a diy vacuum chamber

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 10:13:54 »
I love love love the spartan helmet idea.

If you took a Cherry/GMK top row keycap, filled in the cylindrical part at the top, and cut out your "face opening" lines in the helmet, I think you would have a winner. To me, the DSA profile cap you used as a base is too low, and I don't really love the sides of the helmet being sculpted over the cap sides. But with just a tiny bit of refinement, I think you would have a cap that would be every bit as popular as a Clack skull or V2 Bro.

:thumb:
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 10:34:27 »
Thanks for the insight. I'll have to experiment further with this silicone until I run out of it. Maybe I'll rig together a diy vacuum chamber

DIY vacuum chambers can work like pipe bombs.  Contact mkawa via pm for some more information.

Offline luisbg

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 11:17:19 »

If you took a Cherry/GMK top row keycap, filled in the cylindrical part at the top, and cut out your "face opening" lines in the helmet, I think you would have a winner. To me, the DSA profile cap you used as a base is too low, and I don't really love the sides of the helmet being sculpted over the cap sides. But with just a tiny bit of refinement, I think you would have a cap that would be every bit as popular as a Clack skull or V2 Bro.

+1. I agree and want one of those.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline daftendire

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 11:55:56 »

Thanks for the advice! From your description, I'm picturing a cherry profile key cap with just the face area inset into it? Interesting. I didn't follow the bit about the cylindrical part though. And not having the helmet extend over the sides would help me prolong the life of my molds, but i really like the way it turned out on the dsa cap. Ill have to get my hands on a spare number row keycap and do some sculpting

DIY vacuum chambers can work like pipe bombs.  Contact mkawa via pm for some more information.

That sounds unpleasant. Maybe I'll hold off on that

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 12:07:45 »
I didn't follow the bit about the cylindrical part though.

Just meaning that you would flatten out the top. The "cylindrical" part is the area that is contoured for the fingers.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline daftendire

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 12:13:44 »
I see now. Thanks for clarifying.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 13:59:41 »
That sounds unpleasant. Maybe I'll hold off on that

I'm not going to say "stop pursuing casting equipment," directly but I would avoid DIY solutions like the plague.  If you do not have the background in engineering please let someone source materials for you from reputable sources.  mkawa offers such services with little overhead.  There are a number of us crafters who have great peace of mind using equipment he has sourced and assembled for safe use.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 18:53:47 »
These are pretty awesome, reminds me of  "Molon Labe"

I'd be interested if you ever do one in a standard F row size

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 21:14:42 »

+1
black, red or both.
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 21:20:35 »
If it were matched to a higher profile top row, I'd be all over these.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Coreda

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 21:36:00 »
Very nice work daftendire. Soon to give Bro Caps some competition, hehe. Your photos of the process were great, too.

Offline daftendire

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:06:14 »
Very nice work daftendire. Soon to give Bro Caps some competition, hehe. Your photos of the process were great, too.

Thanks for the kind words. My goal is to shine some light on the process since it seems like threads on the subject are few and far between.

I don't wish to step on anyone's toes by creating competition. I know there are competent DIY'ers that would love to start making their own caps for their own enjoyment.

Offline vinzlr

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 20:36:36 »
Dude these are awesome! As someone else who is going be purchasing apoxie sculpt in the next few weeks for a summer project, could you point me in the right direction for some good sculpting tools to use with it? Great job man!

Offline daftendire

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 21:04:14 »
The main tool I used was a fresh razor blade since I wasn't sculpting it while it was still soft. Due to the flat angles and sides, that was the only thing I needed.

Soo to answer your question there are a number of good tools to sculpt with. I'm partial to the aluminum handled tools that kind of resemble dentist picks. I'm not sure of the best place to find these since I had a number of them in my tool collection already. If you're crafty enough you can use almost anything to sculpt with though such as tooth picks or bent pieces of wire.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 21:06:39 »
The main tool I used was a fresh razor blade since I wasn't sculpting it while it was still soft. Due to the flat angles and sides, that was the only thing I needed.

Soo to answer your question there are a number of good tools to sculpt with. I'm partial to the aluminum handled tools that kind of resemble dentist picks. I'm not sure of the best place to find these since I had a number of them in my tool collection already. If you're crafty enough you can use almost anything to sculpt with though such as tooth picks or bent pieces of wire.

If you happen to live near a surplus store, they sometimes have things that match that description. At least the one near my university does.