Author Topic: [IC] Custom MX/ALPS mini Keyboard (07-16 Update)  (Read 32977 times)

Offline bazemk1979

Re: [IC] Custom MX/ALPS mini Keyboard (06-19 Update)
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 11:00:30 »
all of this talk and no talk about alps ds keycaps....
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 11:07:26 »
jdcarpe is currently talking to SP about Alps caps. Apparently SP is having issue with the larger sized caps though. I know the Kingsaver required the owner to buy a specific board to harvest caps/stabs from. I'm not really sure what Calavera is planning here but the TKL Alps projects might go to the harvest plan if we can't get anyone to make caps.

Offline calavera

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 11:25:31 »
I emailed SP for a quote for just the odd key caps that are harder to source but haven't got a response. But based on the small run I'm doing, I don't think its affordable.

Right now I'm trying to get the PCB and plate finished first though. Unfortunately the guy that designed the MX/Alps backed out but agodinhost offered to help so everything is still on track so far.

GON has also agreed to make alps cases for the people that are on the list despite the low volume for his current prices. Colors will have to be narrowed down to one or two to streamline the process.

Offline Kayliss

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 12:43:38 »
GON has also agreed to make alps cases for the people that are on the list despite the low volume for his current prices. Colors will have to be narrowed down to one or two to streamline the process.

GON is a good guy.  :) Thanks for your work Calavera/Agodinghost and others involved. This is a very interesting project!

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 14:01:40 »
jdcarpe is currently talking to SP about Alps caps. Apparently SP is having issue with the larger sized caps though. I know the Kingsaver required the owner to buy a specific board to harvest caps/stabs from. I'm not really sure what Calavera is planning here but the TKL Alps projects might go to the harvest plan if we can't get anyone to make caps.

Ok lets be realistic about this one, no keycap GB's no good sales for that particular keyboard, right? not fault of the people that are trying to make the TKL and mini factor happen with alps, but having a keyboard without options for caps is practically nothing.

Take the best looking Korean KB, with the nice looking casing bottom design such the MX mini SE or the Trixk, and then decorate it with old, used, yellowed keycaps. Some keycaps fit, then some don't, so you end up with mix of 2 boards.....

I actually was excited about the TKL project, though well don't have to be full aluminum casing, just the bottom would look cool or if price is not way too high then I might get the top casing too, but now knowing that I have to be getting keycaps as leftovers.... I rather spend the money on next small factor LZ keyboard, at least it will look good with new keycaps on it, and we have so many options for keycaps these days, GMK, BSP, DSA....

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 14:12:34 »
I don't understand what you're complaining about. I just said that we're exploring options to get new keycap sets. I'm just telling you that *might* be the backup plan.

You know you can get rid of the yellowing right? Retr0brite still works last I checked...

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 14:26:58 »
Nobody said being a keyboard enthusiast would be easy. Especially if you like an old school, nearly-dead switch like Alps!

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 15:50:19 »
I don't understand what you're complaining about. I just said that we're exploring options to get new keycap sets. I'm just telling you that *might* be the backup plan.

You know you can get rid of the yellowing right? Retr0brite still works last I checked...

I'm not complaining bud, all I'm saying you can retrobrite the heck out of them but at the end your left with mix and match from old boards that only color choice is white and beige, and if you have to mix and match you might end up with DS and lasered keycaps mix.

Pretty much that's the end of the road for that board, its a dead end board in the long run if we cant have GB's for keycaps.

Your looking into production that cant have keycaps compatible from GB maeby 10-15 boards max, and keycaps compatible 30+ boards maeby?

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 15:53:27 »
Nobody said being a keyboard enthusiast would be easy. Especially if you like an old school, nearly-dead switch like Alps!

you said it near dead switch!!! IC for alps board are half way there, the other half is the keycaps GB's. I would not want to spend 300 for a board that will look mediocre at best and at the end it end up in the closet.

Any ways props to people trying to make this happen.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 16:05:34 »
1) I'm not complaining bud, all I'm saying you can retrobrite the heck out of them but at the end your left with mix and match from old boards that only color choice is white and beige, and if you have to mix and match you might end up with DS and lasered keycaps mix.

2) Pretty much that's the end of the road for that board, its a dead end board in the long run if we cant have GB's for keycaps.

3) Your looking into production that cant have keycaps compatible from GB maeby 10-15 boards max, and keycaps compatible 30+ boards maeby?

1) Why do you have to mix and match? If we're going by the Kingsaver example, you buy a Wang 724, then take the caps and stabs and put them on the Kingsaver. If we have to do the backup plan, we'd do that. Buy one board and use all the caps, no mix and match.

2) Most people seem to buy one set to match their board and not swap caps/sets.

3) Seems like it and it seems like you're complaining that you're not getting to swap sets.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 17:09:14 »
1) I'm not complaining bud, all I'm saying you can retrobrite the heck out of them but at the end your left with mix and match from old boards that only color choice is white and beige, and if you have to mix and match you might end up with DS and lasered keycaps mix.

2) Pretty much that's the end of the road for that board, its a dead end board in the long run if we cant have GB's for keycaps.

3) Your looking into production that cant have keycaps compatible from GB maeby 10-15 boards max, and keycaps compatible 30+ boards maeby?

1) Why do you have to mix and match? If we're going by the Kingsaver example, you buy a Wang 724, then take the caps and stabs and put them on the Kingsaver. If we have to do the backup plan, we'd do that. Buy one board and use all the caps, no mix and match.

2) Most people seem to buy one set to match their board and not swap caps/sets.

3) Seems like it and it seems like you're complaining that you're not getting to swap sets.

badass I have only 1 thing to say, 90% of the GB's here are for keycaps.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 17:47:56 »
Blah blah blah..akimbro wants an awesome mini alps board and calavera is gonna make it happen like a bawse.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline pasph

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 17:50:10 »

Wang 724 hasn't a 1,75 shift
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline calavera

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 03:27:30 »
Wang 724 has an unusually long right shift, enter, backspace, and \ key hat won't fit any other keyboard for that matter.

I sent out an email to SP again. Hopefully they'll respond this time. But not gonna hold my breath.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 15:07:18 »
whats the problem with the alps keys that SP produce? is it not having good fit with the stabilizires, or the stems?

EDIT: My bad going hot headed on this thread regarding keycaps compatability, caffeine shortage yesterday..... Big props to Calavera and the group of peeps that try to run the TKL alps project, huge props!
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 July 2013, 15:17:54 by bazemk1979 »

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 01:59:12 »
Wang 724 has an unusually long right shift, enter, backspace, and \ key hat won't fit any other keyboard for that matter.

I sent out an email to SP again. Hopefully they'll respond this time. But not gonna hold my breath.

I think there may be multiple boards known as Wang 724s.

The one that seemed to be widely bought had:

* Dyesub keys
* Unusual legends on function keys (F17/F1 or the like, IIRC)
* Possibly a 1.1x Escape.
* Shorter than normal control/alt keys
* Unusual editing block
* Unusual numpad

Now the latter two may not matter for a 60% design, but
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline calavera

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 20:18:57 »
Major update coming. Well, sort of.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 20:37:25 »
Major update coming. Well, sort of.

I'm excited.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline calavera

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 02:37:00 »
Here it is:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45879.new#new

Going to try to have key caps to go with it!

Offline pasph

Re: [IC] Custom MX/ALPS mini Keyboard (07-16 Update)
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 06:48:40 »
in that set there will be also a 1,75 shift?
the stabs will be Costar?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline calavera

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 08:47:24 »
in that set there will be also a 1,75 shift?
the stabs will be Costar?

Yes. 1.75 shift is in the tsangan kit.
The stabs has not been decided yet.

Offline ___q

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 10:47:34 »
If this GB and the associated keycap GB both happen, and we make MOQ for the GON boards, I would be in for a kit 2 and the caps (probably all three sets of the caps just for future-proofness).

(though I am not interested if I can't get both the keycaps and the case).

I hope this goes through!

Offline calavera

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 11:07:46 »
These will happen. It's just a matter of time.

GON has agreed to make the cases regardless of MOQ as long as there's more than a few orders for it. This is because he has to make samples and test for fitment and quality so it's up to his standards. Pricing is the same as his MX Mini case which is $160. Which also means you're all free to chose whatever color you guys want.

Offline ___q

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 11:15:16 »
These will happen. It's just a matter of time.

GON has agreed to make the cases regardless of MOQ as long as there's more than a few orders for it. This is because he has to make samples and test for fitment and quality so it's up to his standards. Pricing is the same as his MX Mini case which is $160. Which also means you're all free to chose whatever color you guys want.

Awesome! Super exited for this one, then!

Offline pasph

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 15:27:55 »
There are some PCB details?

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 14:22:10 »
There are some PCB details?
Not yet - I'm waiting for calavera's plate in order to check the positions of the switches before I do it's design.
You know - just to avoid mistakes regarding machine cuts ...
As soon as he gets the plate we will do the checking then I'll draw the PCB ...
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline pasph

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 16:49:09 »
Isn't the plate a GON's design?

Offline calavera

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 19:28:01 »
GON isn't designing anything. Once the plate and pcb is done he gets the file and sample pcb so he can make his cases based on that.

But right now I'm trying to sort out the stabilizer problem with the key caps first. A lot on my plate right now.

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 13:18:28 »
Calavera, any news regarding the plate?
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline calavera

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 17:56:11 »
Need to finalize the keycap modifier stem situation with SP first. Then the plates. Then the PCB in that order.

Offline simkev

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 09:20:11 »
What controller is used on the board?
Is it programmable?
Does it support a fn-layer?
JAG ÄR LIVRÄDD FÖR ATT LEVA & JAG ÄR DÖDSRÄDD FÖR ATT DÖ

| Poker X - Ergo Clears & Red Alert 2.0 | Majestouch 2 TKL - Browns & Blue Cream Cheese |

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 09:50:36 »
Interested in a Kit 2. Especially if the ALPS key GB includes the correct profile right-side caps (Home, PgUp, PgDn, End).

Offline calavera

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 12:43:36 »
What controller is used on the board?
Is it programmable?
Does it support a fn-layer?

It will be the same as the GH60.

Interested in a Kit 2. Especially if the ALPS key GB includes the correct profile right-side caps (Home, PgUp, PgDn, End).

Thats the plan.

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 15:09:48 »
Need to finalize the keycap modifier stem situation with SP first. Then the plates. Then the PCB in that order.
Okay.
Please, could you note me when you get the plate done?
I'm kinda off in these last days ...

Offline simkev

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 18:26:52 »
Is it possible to get only the pcb, no plate?
JAG ÄR LIVRÄDD FÖR ATT LEVA & JAG ÄR DÖDSRÄDD FÖR ATT DÖ

| Poker X - Ergo Clears & Red Alert 2.0 | Majestouch 2 TKL - Browns & Blue Cream Cheese |

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 09:44:10 »
Is it possible to get only the pcb, no plate?
I'll work in the PCB - however the PCB is affected by the switches position that's affected by the stabs position I suppose.

We decided to wait until all switches / stabs positioning issues are resolved in order to design the PCB  - it's a way to save time.

I already started the PCB to see the board size and to try the switches position against the Plate.
I can work into the PCB but I will have to review it in case of changes in the Plate.
Make sense?

Offline Nick Lee

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 03:40:08 »
INTERESTED!

Offline Nask

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 07:50:01 »
Also interested as well ;)
I definitely need to try ALPS on a new keyboard.
Keyboards: IBM SSK | Noppoo Choc Mini MX-Blue | PLU ML-87 MX-Brown | CM QFR Mx-Red | CM Novatouch

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 15:26:58 »
very interested in this!!!

I would love to throw some old alps whites and blues into a mini keyboard
heck, I would probably have to buy two and make one of each!

Offline TDub

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 02:34:36 »
Interessted!

Offline aj-kun

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 07:30:19 »
is this project still alive calavera?

Offline calavera

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 07:56:57 »
Yes it is but it might take awhile. Keycaps will happen first.

Offline bahamot

• bistropolis - dine with style
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 09:58:47 »
Any possibilities on offering full assembled unit?

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline calavera

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 00:23:07 »
Not from me. But you could have your set shipped to one of the reputable builders here yo assemble and then ship to you. :)

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 09:25:53 »
Any news?
ZZZzzzz...

Offline calavera

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 15:13:53 »
Waiting on WFD to come back.

Offline r3n_uneducated

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 14:55:23 »
very interesting KB :))
Look for any news ))
Own: Rosewill 9000 Vintage Black

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 19:12:42 »
sort of interested

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 19:13:45 »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 17 December 2013, 19:16:50 »