Author Topic: [IC] JD40 40% boards: metal, plastic, and a celebration of smallfry's life  (Read 30833 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
not really. see: all the original PCB mounted pokers with ABS case. the PCB flexed like crazy and was a major problem point for that board.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline dante

not really. see: all the original PCB mounted pokers with ABS case. the PCB flexed like crazy and was a major problem point for that board.

The Poker Mk1 was a cheap SOB - which they corrected (somewhat) on the Pure.  That being said, Vortex product in general isn't exactly stellar quality.  Even the Cherry G80-11900 is more stable for a PCB mounted application and it is much larger.  Unfortunately PCB mount style has started dying out  and it's a shame because they do give a very unique feel and sound.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
standard pcb thickness is 1.6mm, and the material is always some variant of FR4/G10. the only way to make a pcb more rigid is to increase the tie points to something more rigid. the cherry pcb mount boards basically have a pcb flush with a large plastic plate behind it with a whole bunch of tie points. metal plates basically seal the deal. i had two pokers that i plated with aluminum plates up top and 12mm plates behind, and that was basically the only way i could get the poker pcb to stop flexing.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Razor Lotus

The Poker Mk1 was a cheap SOB - which they corrected (somewhat) on the Pure.  That being said, Vortex product in general isn't exactly stellar quality.  Even the Cherry G80-11900 is more stable for a PCB mounted application and it is much larger.  Unfortunately PCB mount style has started dying out  and it's a shame because they do give a very unique feel and sound.

I'm using a Pure now with stock ABS and I'm trying to come up with an onomatopoeia for the sound and the best i can do is that it gives a tak tak tak tak sound as I bottom out repeatedly while pressing B.

That's an "a" as in how you would pronounce "arh" in "ark", not "ay" as in "tray"

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
interested

will be an interesting keyboard to carry everywhere

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
I'd be in for caps and a Ti plate. :)

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
I got a 40% proto I loaded w/ clears w/o a plate. Keep pulling the switches apart when trying to get a cap off... Wouldn't want this w/o a plate ;)
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline feizor

I am also very interested.

Offline mooswa

Definitely in.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
I'd be in for caps and a Ti plate. :)
you'll need to find a buyer for the bottom plate if you don't want it. we will be cutting these in matched pairs.

note: check out the currently running buy in artisan services if you only want a top plate. we are about to cut a single sheet with any design you can fit on the sheet, nested for cost savings. that buy is also utilizing a cutter that has a press bender with titanium friendly tooling if you want a full bent-flange 40% one-piece case.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 May 2014, 21:03:17 by mkawa »

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
If I may ask, what exactly is going to separate the top and bottom plate?  Is there going to be another layer or spacers?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
What I read so far is quite amazing, dedicating a unique keyboard to Smallfry here.

So no one has envisioned the casing yet on what a 40% keyboard would look like?  If anyone will produce an illustration you guys need to etch or carve his name into the casing so everyone knows what it is.

Nothing more decent than seeing Smallfry's name emblazoned upon this keyboard, much like LZ-GH's is on their keyboard casings.  People need to see his name either on the top plate were the keys are situated or on the sides/back plate.

That way when someone wants to BUY a Smallfry everyone here know's what they mean (besides if it worked for Karl Benz naming his cars after his deceased daughter then it will work for Nathan) :thumb: .
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 May 2014, 03:01:22 by Elrick »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
JD has drawings for acrylic spacer layers, but i'm leaning toward spacers on the fasteners. i'm kind of tired of layered acrylic, even if they're just spacers, and spacers on the fasteners allows for building an angle into the keyboard itself.

further, the spacers could be made out of cut to length polyelastomers: sorbothane carries bushings in various lengths as stock items, and polyurethane extrusions are inexpensive as well. energy absorbing PU springs instead of rigid polycarbonate, and titanium instead of aluminum would make for the deadened feeling of a large heavy keyboard in a very tiny and light one.

Offline tbc

can youndraw a picture?  i'm really not sure what you're talking about
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
can youndraw a picture?  i'm really not sure what you're talking about

Picture from Sifo

See the pink part? The layers mkawa is talking about is that pink part which is a polycarbonate sheet sandwiched between aluminum plates. The sample picture I posted is a GON.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
This would be "spacers on the fasteners"

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
yah, so JD's picture is fasteners with some sort of spacing coupler or shaft that just surrounds the fastener and keeps the two plates at a given distance from each other.

the other option is to fully enclose the space between the plates with layers of acrylic.

the former option is cheaper and allows the front and back heights to be non-equal. acrylic is often used as a light guide though, since light tends to diffuse through the material. if you had leds on the underside of the board in JD's picture, you'd see a bunch of point light sources in the reflection, but not get the diffused glow that's in cptbadass' picture

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
yah, so JD's picture is fasteners with some sort of spacing coupler or shaft that just surrounds the fastener and keeps the two plates at a given distance from each other.

the other option is to fully enclose the space between the plates with layers of acrylic.

the former option is cheaper and allows the front and back heights to be non-equal. acrylic is often used as a light guide though, since light tends to diffuse through the material. if you had leds on the underside of the board in JD's picture, you'd see a bunch of point light sources in the reflection, but not get the diffused glow that's in cptbadass' picture
I think going for the acrylic in CPTBadAss and using feet to change the height is the best option.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
alu feet and acrylic are both going to cost money over spacers and bumpons, but hey, if people want it we make it :)

Offline nuclearsandwich

I much prefer spacers and the barebones, homebuilt aesthetic.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Just want to commend the effort here. Nice work people  :thumb:

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
another point on the acrylic is that it's going to obscure the bottom plate. in that case we might as well make the bottom plate thicker aluminum.

Offline Yslen

If this ends up looking like a 40% GON I am certainly happy with that as a result :P

On the other hand, I think there's something to be said for the home-built look and keeping the price down.

I'm good for either.

Any update on the layout yet?

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
alu feet and acrylic are both going to cost money over spacers and bumpons, but hey, if people want it we make it :)
Yeah, if it becomes to expensive then the full acrylic isn't necessary, but I think the feet are really a must have.

Offline tbc

i'm going to vote for full acrylic layer.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Is it possible to just get the PCB and plate? I want to DIY a case and then get one cut out of aluminum later

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
I'm down for this, TI to the max. I'd like the option to buy spacers and acrylic because I'd like to be able to do both depending on mood and such.

I don't remember seeing it, but would the JD40 plate allow switch housing removal? If yes then this would be a cool board to have around to swap switches or springs for experimenting since it wouldn't be as many switches as a 60-80% board to swap out.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Is it possible to just get the PCB and plate? I want to DIY a case and then get one cut out of aluminum later

I think mkawa wants to do them as kits, really. But the plate is the case here, so I don't really know what you mean by "DIY a case."

I'm down for this, TI to the max. I'd like the option to buy spacers and acrylic because I'd like to be able to do both depending on mood and such.

I don't remember seeing it, but would the JD40 plate allow switch housing removal? If yes then this would be a cool board to have around to swap switches or springs for experimenting since it wouldn't be as many switches as a 60-80% board to swap out.

My suggestion would be to make the spacers as default, and have the acrylic spacer layer available for anyone who wants to buy it as an add-on.

And yes, my drawings have the correct openings. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Yslen

This. I'd love cutouts for switch swapping on this board. It doesn't really cost more to make, right?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
the cutouts aren't going to be possible with the cutting method we're using for cost reasons.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
if you want cutouts, check out this thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58073.0

and have a top plate made _now_. this cutter can hold the tolerances needed to do notches

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
the cutouts aren't going to be possible with the cutting method we're using for cost reasons.

Oh, I didn't know we were back to WJ for cutting switch plates.

in memoriam

Offline Melvang

• * Maker

This. I'd love cutouts for switch swapping on this board. It doesn't really cost more to make, right?

It actually adds a pretty substantial amount in To due to the much slower fees rates with the cutter.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants

Oh, I didn't know we were back to WJ for cutting switch plates.
the cutting fees get "cut" in half on the WJ. i'd rather keep costs down and keep it to a single cutter for a large run

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
Full acrylic (with aluminum backplate if that's the case) would be nice - it would look something like a 40% GON.

Offline Yslen

Full acrylic (with aluminum backplate if that's the case) would be nice - it would look something like a 40% GON.

In other words, amazing :D

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
we're only going to be able to go with one of the two options. full Ti without acrylic or Ti top, alu bottom with full acrylic. the way we're going to cut the Ti involves stacking Ti sheets and using a multi-headed waterjet. it's a bit of a dance to cut, but the radio edit is that there has to be a high degree of uniformity in our cuts.

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
we're only going to be able to go with one of the two options. full Ti without acrylic or Ti top, alu bottom with full acrylic. the way we're going to cut the Ti involves stacking Ti sheets and using a multi-headed waterjet. it's a bit of a dance to cut, but the radio edit is that there has to be a high degree of uniformity in our cuts.

Awesome, thanks for the options!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
I vote full ti with no acrylic.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
mkawa, you and JD should set up a poll to keep track of people's votes and how many people legitimately buy a kit.

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
I vote full ti with no acrylic.

Well damn, my reading comprehension skills stink something awful. I originally read mkawa's post as giving us both options, not choosing one of the two.  :-[

My vote is for the acrylic and aluminum backplate.

Offline tbc

full acrylic.

look like i'm going to have to buy my titanium from the cut and bend and get my acrylic + pcb from here lol.

the kit will include diodes?

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
full acrylic.

look like i'm going to have to buy my titanium from the cut and bend and get my acrylic + pcb from here lol.

the kit will include diodes?

I thought the acrylic wasn't being produced if it doesn't win the vote? (And in the case where it does win the vote, wouldn't it be more convenient to buy it from here?)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
yah, the acrylic isn't going to be produced if it's a significant cost and/or there isn't sufficient demand. one material one cut is going to be the most cost effective, even if that material is high grade titanium.

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline Yslen

If we went full Ti, would it be possible to add an acrylic layer at a later date? A mini buy for those who wanted that option, if it turns out to be the less popular of the two.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
If we went full Ti, would it be possible to add an acrylic layer at a later date? A mini buy for those who wanted that option, if it turns out to be the less popular of the two.

Yes, you can always add the acrylic spacer layer at a later time.

BTW, for the thru-hole PCB this is based on, you would need 12mm of separation between the plates, minimum, for the Teensy's USB connector. So normally, that would mean two 6mm spacer layers.

in memoriam

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
i think that's a better plan

i'd like to keep production as simple as humanly possible right now

Offline Yslen

That's probably very wise!

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder

Nice, group buys tend to spiral out control.  This is delightful news.