Author Topic: The Geekhack Calendar (an idea)  (Read 7800 times)

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
The Geekhack Calendar (an idea)
« on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 00:44:03 »
I have an idea for a geekhack calendar. 12 high quality photos of unique keyboards. I have no interest in going any further than this hahaha. As the thread title say, it's just an idea. Run with it. I give you my idea, whoever you are! All I ask is we feature one of my keyboards in July!
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: The Geekhack Calendar (an idea)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 00:54:58 »
I have an idea for a geekhack calendar. 12 high quality photos of unique keyboards. I have no interest in going any further than this hahaha. As the thread title say, it's just an idea. Run with it. I give you my idea, whoever you are! All I ask is we feature one of my keyboards in July!

I think this ties in with the "Keyboard of the month" idea that floated around a few weeks ago. It should definitely happen.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 00:55:48 »
I'd be in

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 01:03:51 »
This is a fairly neat idea!
If this ever gets started, I would need to up my keyboard game.
Would love to see my own name in a calendar  ;D
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 01:11:43 »
I retract my keyboard for July and make this just an open thing.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 01:22:10 »
Like Kat said, this definitely ties in with the "keyboard of the month" idea and we run into the same questions of how we go about choosing the actual keyboards.  Do we just throw them all into one huge category and pick the top 12 with the most votes?  Do we make sure that each form factor is represented equally?  Etc. etc. yadda yadda.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 01:32:31 »
Like Kat said, this definitely ties in with the "keyboard of the month" idea and we run into the same questions of how we go about choosing the actual keyboards.  Do we just throw them all into one huge category and pick the top 12 with the most votes?  Do we make sure that each form factor is represented equally?  Etc. etc. yadda yadda.

Maybe we should nominate an adjudicator(s) and then they will tell people to post keyboards that fit a certain theme from which they will pick from.
I nominate sent for adjudicator so that we can have an article of the month as well  :p
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 01:45:44 »
Nominating someone is hard.  I mean, a large part of the grumblings going on with GH right now is the issue with mods and power and what not.  I feel like whoever gets nominated would just get crucified, lol.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 08:49:22 »
Hmm.  Like an electronic thing only - desktop wallpaper or site thread?  Or a physical thing, printed on 4 color 80lb semi gloss paper for hanging in the office?  Geekhack Calendar 2015!

Edit : Maybe make it an official annual deal, where some of the proceeds help fund the site?
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 08:52:32 »
I vote for a different shot Lastpilot's keyboard for each month.

That board is so friggen dreamy.
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 08:54:59 »
Amazing! I'd buy one in physical format and would also want to participate sending pictures  ;)

« Last Edit: Wed, 17 December 2014, 09:11:58 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 09:07:03 »
I like the idea and I think we should keep it simple:
1. Have a date up until which people can submit photographs for the contest, anything to do with keyboards (Full keyboard, PCB, switch, keycaps, anything goes)
2. After that have a date until which people can vote for the photos. The photos with the 12 most votes get selected.
3. Get LastPilot to make a desk calendar and a wall calendar using these 12 photos as he sees fit.
4. GB for calendars (Hopefully mkawa/[CTRL]ALT can run this), with free calendars for LastPilot and the 12 photo oweners
5. If mkawa/[CTRL]ALT wants, he/they can stock the calendars and sell them on their store

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 12:22:57 »
I like this idea a lot.  Going forward, it would be fun to use the winners of the Keyboard of the Month as the keyboard for that respective month in next year's calendar.   :cool:  Obviously that wouldn't work for this year though. 

I can offer to help in whatever way I can, though it seems we don't want this spearheaded by a mod?  Hopefully someone else steps up and offers.   :thumb:

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 16:48:30 »
I would be in for a calander as well as a submission possibly.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 17:07:52 »
This sounds like a good idea!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 17:29:52 »

This sounds like a good idea!
Im full of great ideas Rowdy, you should know that!

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 17:35:28 »
I like this idea a lot.  Going forward, it would be fun to use the winners of the Keyboard of the Month as the keyboard for that respective month in next year's calendar.   :cool:  Obviously that wouldn't work for this year though. 

I can offer to help in whatever way I can, though it seems we don't want this spearheaded by a mod?  Hopefully someone else steps up and offers.   :thumb:

Regardless of what I said in my last post in this thread, I'll offer to spearhead this.  If it pleases the masses, I wouldn't mind featuring each keyboard of the month in an entry on the [CTRL]ALT blog.  However, I can't speak for Bunny.  Still, I don't think he'd mind being involved in something like this, too.  That's IF people are cool with it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 December 2014, 17:40:42 by Sent »

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 17:36:19 »
I love this idea. Aside from the obvious pictures, what about marking keyboard specific dates? Like introduction of specific switch types, founding of geekhack. Stuff like that. Given this will most likely release in more than one country it might be hard to go with a country specific holiday format.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 17:40:43 »
I love this idea. Aside from the obvious pictures, what about marking keyboard specific dates? Like introduction of specific switch types, founding of geekhack. Stuff like that. Given this will most likely release in more than one country it might be hard to go with a country specific holiday format.

Good point about holidays.  I would support omitting holidays entirely and letting people write their own in.  There are plenty of holidays on my calendar that, for all intents and purposes, I ignore anyway.  :P

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 17:52:13 »
I can only hope that the voting on keyboards doesn't turn into a boring all beige or grey circle jerk for 12 months straight. It really should showcase the many different directions people on GH go in. Including what a majority of people don't like, like the very colorful and flashy and novelty boards as well as the vintage stuff. A voting system is going to wind up being a bunch of vintage stuff and topre boards. Not that there's anything wrong those types of boards but this thing should represent the whole of the community and all of its craziness.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 18:03:49 »
There should be a panel of people who vote on the pictures, not everyone, and commit to making damn sure that there is plenty of variety. And no one else knows what makes it until the things are made and sent out. Then we have some mystery to look foreword to.

Hell, you can add 2 pages in the back with smaller pictures of runner up photos.

There should be a good mix of vintage, modern, colorful, topre, ergo dox etc. and I don't think a normal voting system will yield those results. Unless of course you vote by category. Best ergo dox, best vomit board, best topre, best novelty type board (full metal pokers etc.), best model M, best Korean custom, and so on

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 18:04:48 »
I can only hope that the voting on keyboards doesn't turn into a boring all beige or grey circle jerk for 12 months straight. It really should showcase the many different directions people on GH go in. Including what a majority of people don't like, like the very colorful and flashy and novelty boards as well as the vintage stuff. A voting system is going to wind up being a bunch of vintage stuff and topre boards. Not that there's anything wrong those types of boards but this thing should represent the whole of the community and all of its craziness.

Agreed.  IMO, a reasonable solution would be to have a poll to vote for boards, and then a panel of selected users to select/mediate said poll.  But then we get back to the issue of people having power.

OR, since this is an unofficial thing anyway, someone / a small team could just do it and if you aren't happy with the results you don't buy it.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 18:06:32 »

Agreed.  IMO, a reasonable solution would be to have a poll to vote for boards, and then a panel of selected users to select/mediate said poll.  But then we get back to the issue of people having power.

OR, since this is an unofficial thing anyway, someone / a small team could just do it and if you aren't happy with the results you don't buy it.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Exactly! This doesn't have to have an "everyone wins" pre-school type arrangement haha

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 18:19:15 »
There should be a panel of people who vote on the pictures, not everyone, and commit to making damn sure that there is plenty of variety. And no one else knows what makes it until the things are made and sent out. Then we have some mystery to look foreword to.

Hell, you can add 2 pages in the back with smaller pictures of runner up photos.

There should be a good mix of vintage, modern, colorful, topre, ergo dox etc. and I don't think a normal voting system will yield those results. Unless of course you vote by category. Best ergo dox, best vomit board, best topre, best novelty type board (full metal pokers etc.), best model M, best Korean custom, and so on

I don't know if there are that many different categories but if we could come up with 12, then we'd just have one for each month.  I like the runner up photos idea, as well.  We definitely need to represent the whole spectrum otherwise this just seems kind of meh to me, honestly.

Yup.  Don't like it.  Don't buy it.  Pretty easy.  Whatever way we do it, I think we're going to have some people in charge or selection and streamlining the whole process so it doesn't get bogged down in one way or another.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 18:20:19 »
We don't have a whole lot of time either

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 18:21:19 »

Were you trying to get something done for 2014?  I was thinking we set something up for 2015.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 18:22:41 »

Were you trying to get something done for 2014?  I was thinking we set something up for 2015.
For the 2015 calendar year. Which is in less than a month.

EDIT: Even if we miss January, it should be for the 2015 year.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 December 2014, 18:24:32 by YoungMichael88 »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 18:24:31 »
I don't know if there are that many different categories but if we could come up with 12, then we'd just have one for each month.

• MX 60%
  • MX 75%
  • MX TKL
  • MX Fullsize
  • Topre 60%
  • Topre TKL
  • BS 60%
  • BS TKL
  • BS Fullsize
  • Alps TKL
  • Alps Fullsize
  • Keyboard of the Year

Just an idea to get started.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 18:27:08 »

Ahh, gotcha.  Yeah, we're a bit short on time.  Some more input from others would probably be beneficial.

• MX 60%
  • MX 75%
  • MX TKL
  • MX Fullsize
  • Topre 60%
  • Topre TKL
  • BS 60%
  • BS TKL
  • BS Fullsize
  • Alps TKL
  • Alps Fullsize
  • Keyboard of the Year

Damn, that was quick, Hoff.  Nice list.  Not saying this is way we should do it, btw.  Just throwing out ideas.  I feel like having broader categories would raise too many issues.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 18:30:29 »
  • MX 60%
  • MX 75%
  • MX TKL
  • MX Fullsize
  • Topre 60%
  • Topre TKL
  • BS 60%
  • BS TKL
  • BS Fullsize
  • Alps TKL
  • Alps Fullsize
  • Keyboard of the Year

Damn, that was quick, Hoff.  Nice list.  Not saying this is way we should do it, btw.  Just throwing out ideas.  I feel like having broader categories would raise too many issues.

Yep, I didn't mean for it to be a definitive list, just a starting point.  :)  And it does omit all the unique and obscure switch types, which could maybe be remedied.  I'm thinking Hi-Tek Space Invaders, Hall Effect, and everything else that extends in that direction.  It would be very difficult to systematically include them, though.  :|

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 18:32:28 »

Ahh, gotcha.  Yeah, we're a bit short on time.  Some more input from others would probably be beneficial.

• MX 60%
  • MX 75%
  • MX TKL
  • MX Fullsize
  • Topre 60%
  • Topre TKL
  • BS 60%
  • BS TKL
  • BS Fullsize
  • Alps TKL
  • Alps Fullsize
  • Keyboard of the Year

I think you could do the categories a bit differently. I think definitely MX category, Topre Category and Alps category. But vintage, modern, flashy etc should be in there. I dunno.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 18:36:21 »
  • MX 60%
  • MX 75%
  • MX TKL
  • MX Fullsize
  • Topre 60%
  • Topre TKL
  • BS 60%
  • BS TKL
  • BS Fullsize
  • Alps TKL
  • Alps Fullsize
  • Keyboard of the Year

Better list:
  • MX/Alps/Topre with dyesub keycaps
  • MX/Alps/Topre with doubleshot keycaps
  • unicorn vomit board
  • some kind of Model F
  • beam spring
  • hall effect
  • picture of a switch mechanism at work
  • DIY ergo keyboard
  • Commercially produced ergo keyboard
  • CNC machining porn
  • crazy thing from HaaTa’s collection #1
  • crazy thing from HaaTa’s collection #2

Or better yet, scrap the categories. Categories are dumb. Just get the panel of judges to pick the best 12, aiming for variety.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 December 2014, 18:38:55 by jacobolus »

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 18:38:24 »
Also, themed keyboards for Halloween and Xmas should be considered for their respective months. Maybe a valentines board, summer colors, fall colors, winter colors. I think that's the way to go. Not necessarily the "best" 12 boards

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 18:42:11 »
Also, themed keyboards for Halloween and Xmas should be considered for their respective months.
February: tp4tissue clutching his Ergodox on valentines day
July: Geekhacker typing at the beach
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 December 2014, 19:12:57 by jacobolus »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 19:29:57 »
I don't know if there are that many different categories but if we could come up with 12, then we'd just have one for each month.

• MX 60%
  • MX 75%
  • MX TKL
  • MX Fullsize
  • Topre 60%
  • Topre TKL
  • BS 60%
  • BS TKL
  • BS Fullsize
  • Alps TKL
  • Alps Fullsize
  • Keyboard of the Year

A good list, as is the second one that was posted, but it might be better to mix them up a bit, otherwise Topre fans will need to wait until May to see their favourite keyboard, and then nothing until next year.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 19:37:46 »
KOTM is coming.

It's happening. Soon TM.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 December 2014, 19:42:16 by katushkin »

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 19:44:22 »
This sounds like a great idea, may I suggest that you run this like a photography contest where everyone submits their photos, a panel of mods review them, and instead of just picking one, say pick the top three so that you can include more submissions. We could also consider for especially popular months doing a 4 paneled page so that we can include more people's boards.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 19:48:26 »

• MX 60%
  • MX 75%
  • MX TKL
  • MX Fullsize
  • Topre 60%
  • Topre TKL
  • BS 60%
  • BS TKL
  • BS Fullsize
  • Alps TKL
  • Alps Fullsize
  • Keyboard of the Year

A good list, as is the second one that was posted, but it might be better to mix them up a bit, otherwise Topre fans will need to wait until May to see their favourite keyboard, and then nothing until next year.

My list wasn't intended to be the actual order (except maybe number 12), but simply a list of possible categories.  :)  I completely agree that we should mix it up.

This sounds like a great idea, may I suggest that you run this like a photography contest where everyone submits their photos, a panel of mods review them, and instead of just picking one, say pick the top three so that you can include more submissions. We could also consider for especially popular months doing a 4 paneled page so that we can include more people's boards.

When you say pick the top three, do you mean pick them to be included in the calendar or pick them to be voted on further?
And I like the idea of a multi-panel page, perhaps a clean collage of similar keyboards fitting a theme would work for that. 

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 19:50:30 »
I thought the idea was to choose a keyboard of the month which would be in the following years calendar, instead I'm saying pick a top three, so while only the number one gets into the calendar, three are "winners" otherwise people won't get to see some great photos that just didn't make the top spot.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 19:55:45 »
I thought the idea was to choose a keyboard of the month which would be in the following years calendar, instead I'm saying pick a top three, so while only the number one gets into the calendar, three are "winners" otherwise people won't get to see some great photos that just didn't make the top spot.

But one board for a 12 month calendar? I think that kind of defeats the point of a fan generated calendar doesn't it?

I will post a picture tomorrow of the calendar I got from my Mk2 Golf owner's club which has one large picture at the top and a few at the bottom. The bottom ones could be the runners up from each month.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 19:57:13 »

But one board for a 12 month calendar? I think that kind of defeats the point of a fan generated calendar doesn't it?

I will post a picture tomorrow of the calendar I got from my Mk2 Golf owner's club which has one large picture at the top and a few at the bottom. The bottom ones could be the runners up from each month.

I think what I'm saying is only confusing everyone :)) I think that the runners up at the bottom would be a great idea!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 20:31:43 »

I think this is a great idea.  Also, in one of the corners we could include a bit of text such as owner, switch type, mods, possibly a quote from the owner as well.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 20:47:56 »
I think this is a great idea.  Also, in one of the corners we could include a bit of text such as owner, switch type, mods, possibly a quote from the owner as well.

Yeah, it has the names of the cars owners on there as well. It's really well made actually.

Also: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66796.0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 20:52:37 »

Yeah, it has the names of the cars owners on there as well. It's really well made actually.

Also: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66796.0

Also congratulations katushkin on passing 1000 posts!

Will you be requesting a star?

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 20:56:25 »
Agree on the descriptive text about the board / owner / origin / etc.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 17:53:14 »

Sooo, this is the calendar I got from my Mk2 Golf Owners club

As you can see, top left you have the name of the users responsible for the awesome vehicles you see. We could use one large picture or a little montage with one large one on the left and a couple on the right, while at the bottom you could have the runners up from the months, or just pictures of all three of them, the winner flanked by the runners up.

Then at the bottom there is an advert which could be replaced with details about the board or just tech specs or whatever.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 17:57:04 »

Show Image

As you can see, top left you have the name of the users responsible for the awesome vehicles you see. We could use one large picture or a little montage with one large one on the left and a couple on the right, while at the bottom you could have the runners up from the months, or just pictures of all three of them, the winner flanked by the runners up.

Then at the bottom there is an advert which could be replaced with details about the board or just tech specs or whatever.

I like it!  Also, this made me realize another thing to consider: will the week in this calendar begin with Monday or Sunday?   :confused:

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 18:26:08 »

Show Image

I like it!  Also, this made me realize another thing to consider: will the week in this calendar begin with Monday or Sunday?   :confused:
hmmm I would say Sunday. Most that I've seen start Sunday.

EDIT: Really makes no difference

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 18:30:04 »

Show Image

Yeah its regional though. We start on Sunday, but I know France and apparently UK at the least start on Monday. So we might alienate some members one way or the other.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 18:32:08 »

Show Image

Yeah its regional though. We start on Sunday, but I know France and apparently UK at the least start on Monday. So we might alienate some members one way or the other.
The functionality remains the same. It's still days set on a grid. Anyone can use it in either orientation.