Author Topic: Plate feedback  (Read 1755 times)

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
Plate feedback
« on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 06:04:33 »
So, I'm dragging Rhino out for the first time in ages and putting together a custom plate, and eventually a case, for the 22-mini RGB by Kaliet, specifically the third layout shown here: http://22kbd.com/145.

Any of you fine folks who've designed plates before, mind casting your eyes over the design I have, and identifying any mistakes I've made? I've added an 8mm gap around the keys for fasteners etc.

Edit: Bearing in mind what was said about the 'universal' cutouts, here's an updated image with the other cutouts. Have updated the attached dwg too.

« Last Edit: Thu, 18 December 2014, 15:40:14 by twiddle »

Offline Moralless

Re: Plate feedback
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 06:27:35 »
I currently don't have the time to download the plate and look at the plate properly, but by just taking a quick look it seems like the spacing between the switch holes might be a little bit too close (probably wrong on this) and the alignment of the switches seem fine though. If you want to double check, I suggest using the plate component file found in the GH CAD resource thread and remake the plate using the cutouts from those files where the outer box of the switch holes should join together to make 1 line when placing them next to each other.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 09:47:17 »
The patterns for the stabilised keys look a little weird. Your plate design would support multiple different layouts. Especially the left Shift and Enter keys. If those two keys are only going to have 2.25 keys, ever, then the cutouts for those keys don't need to be that wide.

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 12:59:05 »
As for the overall spacing being a bit off, I've double checked by superimposing the cutouts from the GH reference file over the top of mine - I also have outer boxes around my cutouts, but they are on another layer because they aren't actually part of the plate itself, just reference.

I actually used the GH CAD thread for the stabilised keys, specifically the universal cutouts, which is why they are as wide as they are. The spacebar isn't universal unfortunately though - the only universal one in that file is a 7x for a winkeyless I believe.

Anything/Anybody else? :)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 13:12:24 »
For all those smaller than space bar stabilized keys you will be forced into PCB mount stabs for those plate cutouts.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 13:33:10 »
For all those smaller than space bar stabilized keys you will be forced into PCB mount stabs for those plate cutouts.

Ack! Will have to change that then - but it does make me wonder why those cutouts are listed as 'universal' in the GH reference drawing if they really aren't. Or did I misunderstand what those cutouts were 'universal' for?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 13:37:24 »

Ack! Will have to change that then - but it does make me wonder why those cutouts are listed as 'universal' in the GH reference drawing if they really aren't. Or did I misunderstand what those cutouts were 'universal' for?

it is listed as universal because it will support a 2 unit or a pair of 1 unit keys in that location
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 13:40:43 »
I should probably mention that in the file.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 December 2014, 13:45:39 by MOZ »

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 15:41:18 »
it is listed as universal because it will support a 2 unit or a pair of 1 unit keys in that location

Thanks for clearing that up, Melvang. I'm presuming the other cutouts in that file are the correct ones to use, then?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 15:49:58 »
Yes they are.