Author Topic: [GB] The Galaxy Class set (Ordering CLOSED)  (Read 108522 times)

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
Re: [GB] The Galaxy Class set (Ordering CLOSED)
« Reply #300 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 05:10:02 »
You should be proud, you started this and with all the work norbauer put into this set it turned out amazing  :thumb:
Last night I watched an episode on TNG , I was looking at the LCARS interface and was feeling really happy I will have that on my keyboard, and this morning saw the pictures norbauer took and it just made my day :) Those pictures were the first thing I saw today  :thumb:
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #301 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 06:46:40 »
They look fantastic and I'm sure will be worth the wait.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #302 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 07:50:23 »
Looks beautiful -- definitely evokes Star Trek O/S.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #303 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 14:57:03 »
Thanks for the the kind words of encouragement everyone. I'm really glad you're all as pleased as I am. :D

We're definitely in the home stretch at this point. SP should be sending out an update soon regarding the num pad issue and then we should be into actual production.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #304 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 14:59:15 »
So I got the first sample of the Core Set, and I have to say, things are looking amazing. The color-matching has truly exceeded my wildest hopes, and I'm incredibly pleased with the overall color scheme (both the individual matches, and how the colors look together).

(Attachment Link)

Sorry that the pics I have were hastily taken on my dining room table. I figured everyone would want to see them sooner rather than wait for my light tent to arrive next week. ;)

The legends using this screen-print process are like nothing I've seen in PBT before. Here is a capture from an image with my 58mm lens at 100% zoom (i.e., ultra close-up)

(Attachment Link)

Here is a high-res of the full set. I tried to massage this one a bit in Photoshop to give the best possible sense of what the colors look like in person (the camera tends to over-saturate them compared to how they look IRL).

(Attachment Link)

UGH, please someone rerun this in SA or DCS. Those look insanely good.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #305 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 00:26:08 »
Pardon my language but HOLY **** THESE LOOK ****ING AWESOME.
I am so ****ing hyped.
Oh god, what keyboard do I put them on, oh god.  :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :-\ :-\ :-\ ;D ;D ;D ;D

WUT KEYBOARD O GOD

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #306 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 18:33:41 »
Man now I really wish they had offered blanks in the teal and purple. I haven't watched a single episode of Star Trek but hot damn this combination of colors and legends are superb. Easily one of the most unique keysets created, can't wait to get mine :)

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #307 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 01:02:57 »
Man now I really wish they had offered blanks in the teal and purple. I haven't watched a single episode of Star Trek but hot damn this combination of colors and legends are superb. Easily one of the most unique keysets created, can't wait to get mine :)
You should watch TNG, as a matter of fact you should watch any of the Star Trek series and movies, it is worth doing that. They are amazing really cool stuff  :thumb:

Offline libraryatnight

« Reply #308 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 18:41:03 »
wow, this is gorgeous. Triple the excitement, now.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #309 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 19:05:12 »
I didn't feel like my prior pics quite did justice to the crispness of the legends, so I decided to bust out the Zeiss macro lens. :)

75752-0

75754-1

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #310 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 00:45:03 »
It's just as good as double-shot.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #311 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 01:08:03 »
This I was thinking too ! Maybe even better :)
This is one special set :D

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #312 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 11:24:06 »
I want that lens ! :P Love T* coating, one of my favorite lenses is a 35mm f/2 Distagon.

Impatiently waiting for some num-pad shots... ;)
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline mer

• Purple Ghost Software, Inc.
« Reply #313 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 14:41:42 »
Just got this in my inbox from Melissa:

Quick update on the Galaxy Group Buy, but first let me thank you for your patience! My supplier sent samples of the custom color sublimation paper last week and I was able to get a test sample off to Key Collective, with my reservations. While the color of the print was good, the saturation of the ink on the paper and thus transferred to the keycap was well below my expectations. In turn I contacted my supplier and was just updated that the ink manufacturer is re-formulating the ink and sending it out next week. I HOPE to have some test paper by the 2nd week of September. I realize this is taking FOREVER and I apologize, but we want to get it right!!
Please let me know if you have any questions - if your delivery address has changed since you ordered, let me know and we can get it updated in our system.
Thanks again!!
WASD V2 87-Key MX Greens
Profile pic is "Geek Hack" in Gallifreyan

Offline norbauer

« Reply #314 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 15:23:00 »
I want that lens ! :P Love T* coating, one of my favorite lenses is a 35mm f/2 Distagon.

I really like it a lot, though the lack of auto-focus is somewhat irritating for everyday photography, so I tend to keep this lens around for specialty macro shots from a tripod like these. Not a common occurrence, frankly. =\ Here are a few other photos I (mostly) took with this lens, FWIW.

(Apologies for the digression from the thread topic.)

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #315 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 16:48:07 »
Good to see an update, by the way is it too late to change FOR to FORE? I know we went through this before but after actually seeing it printed I don't think symmetry is enough to warrant the misspelling

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #316 on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 17:32:55 »
I really like it a lot, though the lack of auto-focus is somewhat irritating for everyday photography, so I tend to keep this lens around for specialty macro shots from a tripod like these. Not a common occurrence, frankly. =\ Here are a few other photos I (mostly) took with this lens, FWIW.

Thanks for sharing, I really like your work ! Now I wish I had more time to work on my photo-skills :( What I miss w/ the manual focus is a decent focusing screen, unfortunately swapping screens isn't part of my current camera body's design :/ As a result I use the 2/35 less than I would like to. These were taken w/ it, so was this (test) shot -

(Alright, back on topic ;))
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline norbauer

« Reply #317 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 00:23:25 »
Good to see an update, by the way is it too late to change FOR to FORE? I know we went through this before but after actually seeing it printed I don't think symmetry is enough to warrant the misspelling

It's admittedly a subjective choice between the two values, but I don't think it's right to call it a misspelling any more than, say, our having used "STBD" for "starboard."

And in any case: "for" is short for "forward," not "fore." The torpedo bays were, for example, always identified by "forward" and "aft."  http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Torpedo_bay
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 August 2014, 00:28:55 by norbauer »

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #318 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 07:59:56 »
Yea it's just subjective, I'm use to nautical terms where fore and aft reign supreme. STBD is a standard abbreviation but forward tends to be abbreviated "FWD". Certainly for isn't the end of the world but I think it would fit better with stbd/port/aft. Honestly I'm just being picky and you should probably ignore me  ;D

Offline slickeddie

« Reply #319 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 10:17:59 »
I need this set in my life but missed out. If anyone has any extra that they are willing to sell me please PM me!

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #320 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 10:23:47 »
I need this set in my life but missed out. If anyone has any extra that they are willing to sell me please PM me!
TechKeys will be carrying the set - subscribe to the newsletter if you want to be notified when it is available for purchase.

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #321 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 07:57:13 »
Any updates?

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #322 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 08:37:59 »
Any updates?
I think there is still some work to be done on the Numpad kit, the rest I think is ready, and is amazing  :cool:

Offline norbauer

« Reply #323 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 15:39:07 »
Any updates?

I haven't heard any updates since the last one, but Melissa did say that there would be some delay going back and forth with their paper supplier and their ink vendor in Europe, so I'm not concerned. At this point, I think all that is required of us is patience. :) Though  I am super excited to see the final product, given the encouraging sample set results.

Offline chrisq

« Reply #324 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 15:52:11 »
Any updates?

I haven't heard any updates since the last one, but Melissa did say that there would be some delay going back and forth with their paper supplier and their ink vendor in Europe, so I'm not concerned. At this point, I think all that is required of us is patience. :) Though  I am super excited to see the final product, given the encouraging sample set results.

Even with Nuclear, Granite and GMK Dolch incoming I suspect this will be my special set.  :D
Can't wait!

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #325 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 08:15:30 »
Any day now? :(

Offline norbauer

« Reply #326 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 13:13:20 »
Any day now? :(

I just got a notification yesterday that SP sent me another parcel. I'm betting this is a sample of the numpad set, which is good news as it was the last remaining unresolved production issue. As usual, I promise to post here as soon as I have anything.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #327 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 15:06:23 »
Can't wait to see the numpad :cool:

Offline norbauer

« Reply #328 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 21:54:56 »
I saw some samples today and we're making progress. Some final production tweaks are happening on Monday, so I should have an update early next week. Sorry that things are taking a while. It's all in the spirit of quality and fidelity.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #329 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 01:59:42 »
I saw some samples today and we're making progress. Some final production tweaks are happening on Monday, so I should have an update early next week. Sorry that things are taking a while. It's all in the spirit of quality and fidelity.

Exactly!

I'd rather wait until 2015 instead of getting a flawed set  :thumb:

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #330 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 05:05:50 »
Oh yes, I want a perfect set too :cool: I have almost all the keycaps I need so this one is a special one for me :)

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #331 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 14:02:24 »
Pumped for this set - thanks for getting it right!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #332 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 02:46:47 »
Hi all,

So I need a bit of feedback/advice. They have diligently tried everything they can to get the blue color to saturate fully into the plastic on the numpad set but haven't had any luck. Currently it looks about 90% of the way there, but there are some spots on the keys where the entire surface is covered in dye where the saturation of the dye into the plastic is a bit lighter than in others.

This is most visible on the bottom key in the image above. (Note that the registration is off a little, so don't judge these samples on the basis of how the legend lines up with the edge of the face.)

SP have gone back and forth a number of times with their paper and dye suppliers on this and their vendors tell them that this is "as good as it gets," so there is only so much they can do on their end with their tooling to improve the saturation.

We have some options. We could switch the numpad nav wheel color to black, which should look as good as all the other legends, though it would make the set slightly less visually interesting (in my opinion). We could also switch to gray. These two options would be fast and easy and would almost certainly yield better results from a technical perspective. We could also try for a darker color of blue that might saturate better, but this would mean a delay of yet another few weeks and there is no guarantee that we won't still end up having the same problem. Another option is simply to stick with the current blue that matches the other blue color in the set and simply be OK with the slightly uneven saturation. All of these options are slightly sub-optimal, but I'm sure they'll all still make for an overall awesome set. So I'm conflicted as to what the best course of action is.

I would be interested in thoughts anyone may have.

Offline chrisq

« Reply #333 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 02:51:57 »
If it is positioned right I'd say what you have now is fine.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #334 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 02:58:24 »
I would like to see the whole numpad, only 3-4 keys don't give a good overall picture.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #335 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 03:01:41 »
I would like to see the whole numpad, only 3-4 keys don't give a good overall picture.

Unfortunately, that is all that they sent me. It should be somewhat representative, however, as the other legends in the nav wheel are just rotations of the same image.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #336 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 03:08:51 »
For me is OK, I'm sure that in reality it looks way better. It doesn't look that bad, I think choosing another color would just not be the same.
So for me is OK :)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #337 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 03:48:39 »
I would vote for going with the current color. However, it is essential that the legends line with the edges, even off by a bit and it would look considerably bad.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #338 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 06:23:12 »
Let's just be OK and have the set that matches the original vision.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #339 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 07:09:01 »
I would vote for going with the current color. However, it is essential that the legends line with the edges, even off by a bit and it would look considerably bad.

I totally agree. If the numpad ends up mediocre, I will never use it. This would be really unfortunate because I think this set looks best on a fullsize board!

After waiting for so long we shouldn't take any shortcuts and settle for the second best solution just to get the set a little earlier.

If it doesn't work with blue let's go for black so it's at least consistent with the rest of the alphas.

Offline mer

• Purple Ghost Software, Inc.
« Reply #340 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 07:40:54 »
I'd vote to change it to black. We know the saturation would be good and it'd match the rest of the alpha keys. And, I personally think black may be a better choice any ways as I think LCARS on ST:TNG seemed to always have black legends on all the controls.

One other thing though: I thought the center/5 key was supposed to be a circle legend. From the samples it seems they are making it a square (covers complete key top).
WASD V2 87-Key MX Greens
Profile pic is "Geek Hack" in Gallifreyan

Offline animaliaparadoxa

« Reply #341 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 07:51:19 »
I would keep the blue we already have. I don't think it looks so bad.

Though It is square-ish instead of a circle as in the renderings. That bothers be more than the saturation.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #342 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 08:05:33 »
I think one of the problems is having the "printing" go to the edges of the  top of the keycap, as even the slightest mis-alignment is very discernable. I don't know difficulties in the manufacturing process related to this alignment, so I won't presume to demand that everything perfectly aligned, but it is definitely an issue.
The color seems fine to me.

Offline chrisq

« Reply #343 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 09:46:21 »

I totally agree. If the numpad ends up mediocre, I will never use it. This would be really unfortunate because I think this set looks best on a fullsize board!

After waiting for so long we shouldn't take any shortcuts and settle for the second best solution just to get the set a little earlier.

If it doesn't work with blue let's go for black so it's at least consistent with the rest of the alphas.

I'd love to see the full set on a LightSaver!  :eek:

Offline delete_this

« Reply #344 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 10:53:12 »
Would you be able to provide a side-by-side photo of the "blue" keycaps (arrow keys or F1-F4 keys) with these? I would prefer the blue, even if it's 90% so long as it didn't look totally off from the other blue keycaps.

Thanks for all of your hard work on this - these are looking great!

Offline D01

« Reply #345 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 12:45:11 »
Bummer about the number pad.  I'd rather wait to ensure that the colors of the number pad match the colors on the other keys.  It would be retarded if the colors don't match.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #346 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 13:02:05 »
Would you be able to provide a side-by-side photo of the "blue" keycaps (arrow keys or F1-F4 keys) with these? I would prefer the blue, even if it's 90% so long as it didn't look totally off from the other blue keycaps.

Thanks for all of your hard work on this - these are looking great!

I'm currently traveling in San Francisco but will be back in Cambridge on Sunday and provide a photo of this then.

Interesting, if generally contradictory, opinions from everyone else. Please keep them coming though. It would be nice if we could form a consensus.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #347 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 13:13:49 »
I still prefer the blue even if not saturated, as long it is centered and well done. I feel black would be too much. Maybe we could do a pool, a simple voting would solve this.
The numpad is important, this is maybe one of the most emblematic elements of this set.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #348 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 13:19:14 »

I still prefer the blue even if not saturated, as long it is centered and well done. I feel black would be too much. Maybe we could do a pool, a simple voting would solve this.
The numpad is important, this is maybe one of the most emblematic elements of this set.

My concern with the numpad is not that it's just under-saturated but that it's unevenly saturated. It's admittedly subtle variations in the saturation, but I want this set to look as professional and high-quality as possible, and the uneven saturation looks a little cheap to me. This is why I think I'm leaning slightly toward switching to black dye. I think artistically it's less interesting and a bit of a disappointment, but is our best bet technically--and as another user pointed out, it actually probably more consistent with LCARS graphics.

However, I'm open to persuasion. ;) Maybe we should try to go with a darker blue and if they still have the saturation problems, then just switch to black? It would mean a further delay and we may very well still end up with black, but at least it would give us the sense that we had explored all our options? I'm personally in no rush.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 September 2014, 13:21:54 by norbauer »

Offline chrisq

« Reply #349 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 13:24:29 »

My concern with the numpad is not that it's just under-saturated but that it's unevenly saturated. It's admittedly subtle variations in the saturation, but I want this set to look as professional and high-quality as possible, and the uneven saturation looks a little cheap to me. This is why I think I'm leaning slightly toward switching to black dye. I think artistically it's less interesting and a bit of a disappointment, but is our best bet technically--and as another user pointed out, it actually probably more consistent with LCARS graphics.

However, I'm open to persuasion. ;) Maybe we should try to go with a darker blue and if they still have the saturation problems, then just switch to black? It would mean a further delay and we may very well still end up with black, but at least it would give us the sense that we had explored all our options? I'm personally in no rush.

My 2 numpad votes go in favour of you deciding what is better of the current blue and black, any of the 2 is okay for me, but please no more waiting. ;)