Author Topic: KiCad - How to Physically Layout Components  (Read 3221 times)

Offline clickclack123

KiCad - How to Physically Layout Components
« on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 20:17:55 »
I had a bit of a go with KiCad over the weekend...

Anyway, I think I'm ok with designing a schematic and assigning footprints, etc.

It's just the physical location of the switches. I want to line them up exactly with a plate that I've designed in Draftsight (dwg file).

Is there any way I can import the dwg to line the switches up exactly? How does one do that (ie like the ErgoDox).
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 March 2014, 20:26:23 by clickclack123 »

Offline skrsh3r

Re: KiCad - How to Physically Layout Components
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 02:12:16 »
Start by placing top left switch at Y 0, X 0 then you just measure distance between switches, for 1x keys it's 0.75 inches and when you want to place a switch just hit E over module that you want to place and enter enter coordinates, let's say you want to place next switch in same row and you have first switch placed at Y 0, X 0 you just add 0.75 inches to X and you get a position for your next switch that's how i do it at last, i hope that was helpful.

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 02:25:35 »
Start by placing top left switch at Y 0, X 0 then you just measure distance between switches, for 1x keys it's 0.75 inches and when you want to place a switch just hit E over module that you want to place and enter enter coordinates, let's say you want to place next switch in same row and you have first switch placed at Y 0, X 0 you just add 0.75 inches to X and you get a position for your next switch that's how i do it at last, i hope that was helpful.

That does sound helpful, how do I rotate by an arbitrary angle though? ie like ErgoDox thumbswitches.

Offline skrsh3r

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 02:33:21 »
In module properties you got orientation settings to just set user and type in at how much degrees you want to rotate it, btw i can place everything for you and send you those kicad files you just need to route traces after that, i just need dwg or dxf file of your plate.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 March 2014, 02:35:28 by skrsh3r »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 02:39:26 »
For things like this,  I find it useful to edit the file directly using a text editor. If you are a programmer,  you can easily write a script to do it as well by calculating coordinates or reading off an array/table.

Offline skrsh3r

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 02:53:32 »
Or you can do it like moz said, the way i do it i always design pcb first and as i do that i get plate as well cause you can plot dxf from kicad.

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 03:09:06 »
For things like this,  I find it useful to edit the file directly using a text editor. If you are a programmer,  you can easily write a script to do it as well by calculating coordinates or reading off an array/table.

Yes that sounds like what I'll do. I'm ok at java, actually used it to generate the matrix file for TMK firmware, saved me about an hour of typing. So these computers can be useful for more than just timewasting...

In module properties you got orientation settings to just set user and type in at how much degrees you want to rotate it, btw i can place everything for you and send you those kicad files you just need to route traces after that, i just need dwg or dxf file of your plate.

Thanks a lot for the offer skrsh3r! I'll have a go at it for myself but I'll keep that in mind.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 05 March 2014, 23:49:01 »
I wish I could just get to that point.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich