Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3515530 times)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #15350 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 13:56:07 »
There's not much to lose IMO. Converting it will allow you to use either Easy AVR or TMK/QMK. One is extremely easy to use and doesn't require you to compile anything, and with the latest version, no need to use FLIP separately, you can upload the firmware directly from within Easy AVR or you can use TMK/QMK which is super flexible and allows you to do pretty much whatever you want, but you have to setup the AVR toolchain.

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #15351 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 14:17:18 »
Anyone if you can buy switch top removal tools in Europe (like these: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1363)? I would buy em off mk.com, but the shipping is ridiculous...
I think they can probably ship cheaper if you contact them and ask.

If they can't I'm sure I could proxy some for you.
I've contacted them and bought 20 :p Will be selling them here once I get them :p
pls gief bbv2

Offline joey

« Reply #15352 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 16:55:08 »
I have some blue alps that aren't working. Can I replace their leafs with either Matias QC or dampened cream alps? (Without changing the feel)

Offline emdude

« Reply #15353 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 17:08:51 »
I have some blue alps that aren't working. Can I replace their leafs with either Matias QC or dampened cream alps? (Without changing the feel)

Could you elaborate on how they aren't working?  Do you mean the click leaf or the switchplate?  Regardless, short answer is no. 

EDIT: Well, if it's the switchplate that's damaged, switching it out with one from a cream damped Alps switch will work, but I imagine it will affect the feel/sound.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 July 2016, 17:15:35 by emdude »
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline joey

« Reply #15354 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 17:15:24 »

Could you elaborate on how they aren't working?  Do you mean the click leaf or the switchplate?  Regardless, short answer is no.
I mean they don't register a key press and the leaf.

Offline emdude

« Reply #15355 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 17:23:10 »

I mean they don't register a key press and the leaf.

Ah, well, I'm pretty certain that the leaf has no bearing on whether the switch works (you can remove it outright to make the switch linear, after all), so it might be an issue with the switchplate or how the switch has been soldered (if you're testing it on an actual keyboard).

The leaves from the cream damped Alps and Matias QC are of the tactile kind, so those won't work.  You'll want to get a leaf from a clicky SKCM, preferably another blue Alps switch.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 July 2016, 17:27:40 by emdude »
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline joey

« Reply #15356 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 17:28:14 »
Ah. So maybe I can desolder the switch, and replace the black plastic part and the 'switch plate' (Assuming that's the other metallic part that sits in the switch)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15357 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 17:33:02 »
Ah. So maybe I can desolder the switch, and replace the black plastic part and the 'switch plate' (Assuming that's the other metallic part that sits in the switch)

If you do decide to open the switch up be careful, they're called complicated Alps for a reason. I'd check to see if the solder joint is good. If not, take it apart carefully and soak it in isopropyl. Hopefully it's just dirt and grime making it feel weird and not say a bent click leaf.

Offline joey

« Reply #15358 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 17:36:22 »

If you do decide to open the switch up be careful, they're called complicated Alps for a reason. I'd check to see if the solder joint is good. If not, take it apart carefully and soak it in isopropyl. Hopefully it's just dirt and grime making it feel weird and not say a bent click leaf.
I have already taken some apart, to much frustration! (I have checked with tweezers, touching the solder causes the switch to register)

Offline joey

« Reply #15359 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 18:07:32 »
Working switchplate:

Non working:

Can't tell if the working one is protruding inwards more?

Is the switch base the same for all alps? If so I can just de-solder these and replace them with some damped alps bases.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15360 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 18:08:33 »
Working switchplate:
Show Image

Non working:
Show Image

Can't tell if the working one is protruding inwards more?

Is the switch base the same for all alps? If so I can just de-solder these and replace them with some damped alps bases.

I don't see anything that would lead me to believe that the switch isn't working. And yes like Cherry MX, the bases are the same.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15361 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 18:47:35 »
There's not much to lose IMO. Converting it will allow you to use either Easy AVR or TMK/QMK. One is extremely easy to use and doesn't require you to compile anything, and with the latest version, no need to use FLIP separately, you can upload the firmware directly from within Easy AVR or you can use TMK/QMK which is super flexible and allows you to do pretty much whatever you want, but you have to setup the AVR toolchain.

The warning on bricking the Nerd does not sound encouraging, though, I'd better live with TouchCursor.

Offline CD-ROMantic

« Reply #15362 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 17:26:31 »
I hope this is the correct place to ask, I didn't see my exact question answered in the OP so here goes-
So I recently picked up one of those zhuque+ hot swappable keyboards, because I wanted to check out various keyswitches that weren't my standard Cherry Reds. While I was putting my Gateron Whites in I noticed something- the stabilizers that it has are weird. They're not the Cherry stabs that I've seen in my other two keyboards... taking my shift key from my K65 it fits fine (but doesn't offer as much stability). So my question is- can I remove the stabs in this thing and replace them with Cherry stabs? I'd rather know before I go dumping any money into parts.
this is the stabilizer in question.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15363 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 17:57:10 »
I hope this is the correct place to ask, I didn't see my exact question answered in the OP so here goes-
So I recently picked up one of those zhuque+ hot swappable keyboards, because I wanted to check out various keyswitches that weren't my standard Cherry Reds. While I was putting my Gateron Whites in I noticed something- the stabilizers that it has are weird. They're not the Cherry stabs that I've seen in my other two keyboards... taking my shift key from my K65 it fits fine (but doesn't offer as much stability). So my question is- can I remove the stabs in this thing and replace them with Cherry stabs? I'd rather know before I go dumping any money into parts.
Show Image
this is the stabilizer in question.

If it has dip sockets, which is what how swappable means, you could get all the switches off, separate the plate from the PCB and check if an standard Cherry stab fits on the PCB and though the plate, the second seems feasible, but the PCB should have the appropriated holes to allow the plastic bases of the stabs to fit in.

Edit: You may also try to fit some Cherry plate mounted stabs instead, the notches seems to be close in size to plate mounted Cherry stabs.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 July 2016, 17:58:47 by ideus »

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15364 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 04:38:16 »
Yeah, those plate stabs look like they are plug-in-replaceable with Cherry plate ones. But why would anyone put WORSE plate stabs in? Patent infringement on the Cherry stabs?

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #15365 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 09:44:55 »
Has anyone used the zinc modifiers from Massdrop/zinc keys in general? What weight is the minimum you would recommend using them on?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15366 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 09:46:12 »
Has anyone used the zinc modifiers from Massdrop/zinc keys in general? What weight is the minimum you would recommend using them on?

They're kinda heavy so I'd go with like 67g minimum I think. Also they're rather cold to the touch and take a while to warm up.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15367 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 09:52:29 »
Is there any reference that reports on how Gateron greens compare to stock Cherry clears, greens and ergo-clears?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15368 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 10:19:51 »
Is there any reference that reports on how Gateron greens compare to stock Cherry clears, greens and ergo-clears?

KeyChatter thinks they're the Gateron version of Cherry MX Greens. So they wouldn't feel like Clears/Ergo-Clears since the comparison implies that they're clicky.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15369 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 10:23:47 »

KeyChatter thinks they're the Gateron version of Cherry MX Greens. So they wouldn't feel like Clears/Ergo-Clears since the comparison implies that they're clicky.

That is a good starting point; but, then, what do you think that, it is the Gateron's stem closer to Cherry's clear one? Not including Zealios, that I think now are a bit over-rated and over-priced.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15370 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 10:39:05 »
That is a good starting point; but, then, what do you think that, it is the Gateron's stem closer to Cherry's clear one? Not including Zealios, that I think now are a bit over-rated and over-priced.

I don't know what you mean by being closer to Clear. I will say I prefer Gaterons to Cherry. However, the Gateron Browns don't feel enough like Cherry MX Clears. I like the Zealios as they feel like Ergo-Clears without the extra hassle but they are really pricey.

I've personally written two reviews on Gateron switches: Zealio vs Cherry Clear and Blacks. I think Gaterons are cheap enough that it's pretty easy to get a hold of some and try them for yourself.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 July 2016, 10:40:54 by CPTBadAss »

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15371 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 10:42:06 »
Yeah, I wish zealios was at that price...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15372 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 11:16:57 »

I don't know what you mean by being closer to Clear. I will say I prefer Gaterons to Cherry. However, the Gateron Browns don't feel enough like Cherry MX Clears. I like the Zealios as they feel like Ergo-Clears without the extra hassle but they are really pricey.

I've personally written two reviews on Gateron switches: Zealio vs Cherry Clear and Blacks. I think Gaterons are cheap enough that it's pretty easy to get a hold of some and try them for yourself.

I have read your reviews previously; actually, that was the main reason I bought R1 Zealios; however, my experience differ from yours; because, I found the Zealios to feel quite different to Ergo Clears. I am typing right now on my GON with Zealios that I use at work, and I am missing my GON with Ergo clears that is at home, but I do not want to commute with the last from home to work and back, every day. That is why I wonder if the new Green Gateron come closer to Clears; but, as you said, they may not at all, meaning that there is no replacement for Ergo clears, at least, for my personal taste.

The two keyboards are very close to each other, both are plate mounted, both are based on a GON Nerd60 and have OG Cherry sets pretty much of the same age, ~ early 90s, they even have both Gateron's switch translucent PCB mounted bottoms with Gateron's clear tops, same module gold springs, the only difference being the stems, factory Zealios and authentic Cherry clear stems inside Gateron housings, but the feeling is noticeable different, the Ergo are snappy, firm and feel a bit heavier, while the Zealios feel mushier, wobblier and lighter.

Thank you very much for the information and for keeping this nice thread running.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #15373 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 15:12:14 »

They're kinda heavy so I'd go with like 67g minimum I think. Also they're rather cold to the touch and take a while to warm up.

Damn, OK. No good weight then :( I was hoping to put them on regular Ergo clears, but oh well...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #15374 on: Sat, 09 July 2016, 01:17:55 »

I have read your reviews previously; actually, that was the main reason I bought R1 Zealios; however, my experience differ from yours; because, I found the Zealios to feel quite different to Ergo Clears. I am typing right now on my GON with Zealios that I use at work, and I am missing my GON with Ergo clears that is at home, but I do not want to commute with the last from home to work and back, every day. That is why I wonder if the new Green Gateron come closer to Clears; but, as you said, they may not at all, meaning that there is no replacement for Ergo clears, at least, for my personal taste.

The two keyboards are very close to each other, both are plate mounted, both are based on a GON Nerd60 and have OG Cherry sets pretty much of the same age, ~ early 90s, they even have both Gateron's switch translucent PCB mounted bottoms with Gateron's clear tops, same module gold springs, the only difference being the stems, factory Zealios and authentic Cherry clear stems inside Gateron housings, but the feeling is noticeable different, the Ergo are snappy, firm and feel a bit heavier, while the Zealios feel mushier, wobblier and lighter.

Thank you very much for the information and for keeping this nice thread running.

There literally cannot be a 1:1 gateron to cherry clear because the bottom housing/leaf is different.

Put a cherry clear stem in a gateron bottom housing and solder it. The actuation will be completely messed up. I can't speak for zeal's switches, maybe it's corrected or maybe it's just a work around.

Ergo clear 4 lyf
I love Elzy

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15375 on: Sat, 09 July 2016, 17:33:11 »

There literally cannot be a 1:1 gateron to cherry clear because the bottom housing/leaf is different.

Put a cherry clear stem in a gateron bottom housing and solder it. The actuation will be completely messed up. I can't speak for zeal's switches, maybe it's corrected or maybe it's just a work around.

Ergo clear 4 lyf

Just for the record, I am typing on clear Cherry stems installed inside Gateron bottoms and they feel great, they do not show any alteration in their actuation point.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #15376 on: Sat, 09 July 2016, 20:45:07 »
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15377 on: Sat, 09 July 2016, 23:22:38 »

Ergo clear 4 lyf

Just for the record, I am typing on clear Cherry stems installed inside Gateron bottoms and they feel great, they do not show any alteration in their actuation point.

Which gateron bottoms are you using?

When I put cherry mx clear stems in milky gateron bottoms some worked and some didn't they were unusable. I read others have had the same experience.

Offline Celcius

« Reply #15378 on: Sun, 10 July 2016, 07:45:36 »
I ended up getting a ducky one but could not stand the way the stabilized keys felt and sounded so returned it. I may just get another corsair k70 instead (but the newer rgb version this time).

Offline BobBobFSGG

« Reply #15379 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 04:30:40 »
Have there been any development on the custom keyboards/PCBs with RGB in-switch lighting support (i.e like Cherry's MX RGB switches)?

Are the Input Club's K-Type is the only such keyboard on the horizon?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15380 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 09:21:32 »
Have there been any development on the custom keyboards/PCBs with RGB in-switch lighting support (i.e like Cherry's MX RGB switches)?

I thought Ducky had an RGB board out right now. And I also thought that GMK's new keyboard supported it.

Offline BobBobFSGG

« Reply #15381 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 09:30:58 »

I thought Ducky had an RGB board out right now. And I also thought that GMK's new keyboard supported it.

I meant the customs. The Koreans, Chinese, other Asian or Western keyboards. Need a specially designed PCB to actually support full RGB in-switch lightning.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15382 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 09:31:58 »
Are there chips available for that?

Offline BobBobFSGG

« Reply #15383 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 13:56:47 »
I'm guessing yeS? How else regular RGB keyboards and K-Type are functioning? From what i've been told the hardest part about designing keyboard with RGB in-switch lightning is actually that you need to design the PCB from scratch with enough traces for each switch's LED with all other electronics in mind.

So i'm guessing there's still nothing out there.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15384 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 14:03:00 »
And I also thought that GMK's new keyboard supported it.

Are you referring to the uniqey board? It doesn't have any backlighting options looking at the order page.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15385 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 15:09:48 »
I'm guessing yeS? How else regular RGB keyboards and K-Type are functioning? From what i've been told the hardest part about designing keyboard with RGB in-switch lightning is actually that you need to design the PCB from scratch with enough traces for each switch's LED with all other electronics in mind.

So i'm guessing there's still nothing out there.

What I meant was "are there chips available for cheap?"

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #15386 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 15:31:42 »
Has GMK done a white on red modifier set? Looking for some red mods but can only find the sp red alert ones.
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15387 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 15:34:05 »
Has GMK done a white on red modifier set? Looking for some red mods but can only find the sp red alert ones.

http://www.kbdist.com/ceresia?mc_cid=e4375482d5&mc_eid=e0614fdb1f

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #15388 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 15:36:19 »

Wow this is perfect :)) Thanks for the link!
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline Aliens

« Reply #15389 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 22:10:51 »
Is there much difference between the Smart68 and the Red Scarf 68? How hard is it to get a hold of the RS68? Is there an easier/cheaper way to get a programmable keyboard in that layout? I assume that custom PCB and plates would be more expensive than an established board. I want Zealio 65s, I like the rimless pok3r style and I would love Rgb LEDs.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15390 on: Sat, 16 July 2016, 06:54:29 »
So here's a new one! I have an Alps64 board which used to work (as far as I remember), but I put it away because I needed one fewer keyboard than previously. Now that I've picked it back up, it has this kind of odd problem:

It starts out in layer 1 instead of 0! If I have FN keys available in layer1, they work fine, so I can access layer 2 and so on, and probably even layer 0, though I haven't tried making a new keymap just to test that.

So now I'm really confused. I've tried plain.c from TMK and my own keymap, and both start up in layer1.

I supposed I can just push all layers up one number and see if that works, but this is still really weird!!!

Cross-posting to Alps64 thread.

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #15391 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 17:55:41 »
Is there any difference between the leopold FC750 vs FC750R ? (I tried google first )

For instance FC750 is only $114 vs FC750R is $184 on ebay.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=171

On leopold's website I didn't even see the mention of FC750

Thanks
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15392 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 17:58:27 »

$75 USD? Well, you should invest thirty bucks more for a full set, unless the color be that important for you.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15393 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 19:58:04 »
Does someone know where 6u wires for Cherry stabs can be sourced?

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15394 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 07:44:19 »
Is this possible? If so, it might be my endgame...

HHKB2 Silent with Hasu controller and SpaceFN, MX sliders and SA keys.

Seems like it would be possible, but I wonder what topre with SA would feel like, and if the Hasu controller works with silent boards.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15395 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 08:10:37 »

Seems like it would be possible, but I wonder what topre with SA would feel like, and if the Hasu controller works with silent boards.

Should all be possible. So long as you have the correct size caps for whatever SA set you want to put on it.

Some people think SA is too heavy for topre then others think SA and topre are glorious. Quite a few people have done similar mods here and on r/mk.

The pro2 and type-s are identical as far as the controller is concerned.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15396 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 09:14:19 »
Excellent, thanks.
I can see what you mean with the SA weight. I guess I should try it first, if I find a way to do so...
It's a huge cost for a single keyboard, after all.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15397 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 09:39:27 »

Definitely possible. Nothing there would lead me to believe it couldn't work.

IIRC MK.com had accidently ordered a bunch of 6u stabilizers a while back. They might still have them. Otherwise, I'd try and find an old Cherry board with that stabilizer setup as I don't think the other sources will have 6u. I think Mouser had 8u at one point.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15398 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 10:24:04 »

While I was planning to bend some wires myself, Sir Infinity came to the rescue an offered an authentic Cherry 6u wire sample that will make my own bending reliable. In case some one wonders, the DT Wiki has very good information on many of the different space bars and their holding positions, it was what I was planning to use as a reference, but now with the sample it would be far easier.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15399 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 13:08:19 »
What I need to do is rent a Type-S with MX sliders to test the feel...

Is that something one does? Like if I pay full price to someone, and then when I send it back, they pay me back all minus a fee?