Author Topic: Project: Nox  (Read 4515 times)

Offline Khuya

Project: Nox
« on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 16:21:23 »
Some background info:  I have a mechanical keyboard (ducky horse edition) for over 2 years now.  Not really into the whole thing until last december with the pre-order of the white fox.  Code, then shortly the ergodox infinity, then the planck 2x (not sure why).  The ducky has cherry mx linear red, which makes typing really boring.  The code has cherry mx clear, which i found too tough. 

Then the ergodox came, my first custom build keyboard, I love it.  The whole processing of building it.  I used gateron blue and also swap it with 35g springs for the pinky row.  The click and the smooth, the feeling is just too awesome to describe.  But after a week or so, I realized that I don't even use the thumb cluster.  It was too far. 

I really wanted to build my own, but was debating back and fourth because I don't know where to get the parts and have never done hand wiring before.  After seeing Climbalima's split planck, I decided to go for it.
 (A big thanks to him, this project would have taking a lot more time if I didn't have his help)

I started playing around with different designs using http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/.   I wanted something similar to the ergodox, excluding the thumb clusters.  Finally end up with these t layouts that I can fit in a size 3 using ponoko.

I started my first build with the split planck layout, because it looks easy than the rest.  Since swaping the 35g spring into gateron blue, I really liked it, figured I would enjoy the gateron clear as well.  So here it is.

Building the matrix is easy, but time consuming, I ended up just using the left over from the diodes to build the columns, with hot glue in between columns and rows to prevent shorts.

The controller was also easy to soldered into, then use hot glue to hold it to the plate

To be continue...

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
Re: Project: Nox
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 17:18:39 »
:D Looks great!

Offline Khuya

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 23:36:55 »
Led is also easy to soldered, and also hot glued to the switches :thumb:

Finished product

Review:  Gateron clear is too light! DO NOT get it  :-[  It makes typing very hard and because it's light, some how I tend to move the whole keyboard when i try to type fast.  Also to hit the thumb button (space bar), would required either move my hand out of the home row, or curve my hand into a fist, not very natural.  Missing the number rows is also a pain as I used them quite often (you don't know what you are missing until you lose it! so true! ;)).

Hand for size comparision

Offline Khuya

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 00:00:19 »
Building the 2nd layout for a friend.  The different with this one is the two thumb button, they are supposed to be 1.25u vertical.  Also decided to throw twice the leds in.

This time I precut the row wires and soldered the diodes onto it before soldering them to the switch, this take a bit more time, but make it easier to soldered and less chance of a bad soldered.

I tried the 30 guage copper wire, it's a bit too small and hard to soldered.  I will probably try to find a 26 or 28 next time.  But did end up with a much nicer and neater layout compared to previous planck.

Taste the rainbow baby  ;D - much brighter and better looking

to be continue...

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 03:32:28 »
Dem colors!

Offline Khuya

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 02:56:36 »
some pic of the 2nd finished board

Quick review: I really like this second board, the pink jelly pom goes really well with RGB colors.  The 1.25u thumb keys also a big plus, the extra space allow the thumb to be used without moving the whole hand.  The brown switch also somehow made the board more sturdy.

My TRRS breakout boards are sitting at USPS for the past 10 days, not sure what's going on, since the previous board was for a friend, I decided to continue with my third build while waiting for the TRRS parts to arrive.

My third board has the same layout as the ergodox minus the thumb clustered and the 4th button for the bottom row.  I also decided to do it a bit different this time, by soldered all the diodes to the switch first.

what it looked like after all are in:

then use the 30G wire to wrapped each diodes once, since the wire is small, it's very flexible, and by wrapping it once, I can guarantee solid connection once soldered.  I also leave a bit of length at the end to connect to the controller, this reduced the numbered of joins needed to be soldered, as it's once wire per row to the controller.

For the columns, I used a 22G copper wired to prevent it from flexing and touching the rows.  Also left a bit of hot glue at the row intersection to prevent shorts.

The leds also goes under the columns, with a bit of hot glue, it is hold into place.

Repeat for the other side, turned it over and   :eek: :'(

Pretend you didn't see anything wrong with the above picture, but at this point, the switches are glued and soldered, it's too late to undo...

pic with all 3 boards together

Due to better organization of the wires, you can see how short the 3rd board is compared to the other two, only 6mm gap and still have some space  :thumb: Will post review on the 3rd board later, waiting for the TRRS parts to arrived...

« Last Edit: Thu, 30 June 2016, 03:08:52 by Khuya »

Offline rrrsss

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 18:04:41 »
really nice  :cool:

What firmware are you using? and how do you connect the leds in the firmware? currently building a split planck too and really wants led in my build!

Offline daftendire

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 21:09:18 »
really nice  :cool:

What firmware are you using? and how do you connect the leds in the firmware? currently building a split planck too and really wants led in my build!

I'm interested too! Just ordered some WS2812B led's and I don't even know how to wire them up yet. These boards look great.

Offline Khuya

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 16:20:51 »
instruction for led wiring is here https://github.com/jackhumbert/qmk_firmware scroll to the bottom.

Offline Khuya

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 10:58:31 »
Just canceled my whitefox due to the caps issue.  I have been patiencely waiting for it  with no complains but seeing the end result is really sad.  How is it acceptable to sent caps like that? :(

Offline Khuya

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 09 July 2016, 01:42:44 »
finally the TRRS breakout board arrived!

Despite being 2 left board, i got used to it pretty quickly..

Review: The milky blue gateron is very nice, in the beginning.  The click is tighter.  However, after a week sitting in an office with this switch, it starting to get on my nerve.  It's too loud!  This 60% board is also feel more firm and sturdy.  When typing on the split 40%, the board was too light, it often moved when typing.  But with this 60%, it's a lot more firm.  The dedicate number row is also a plus, as I used it quite a lot.  Also switch from blank caps to real caps.  With the blank caps, something just feel missing all the time.  I do find that it's a bit hard to use the enter key, keep trying to use it with left hand.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 July 2016, 01:46:10 by Khuya »