Author Topic: [GB] Pandora - The 1 Percent 60% - pearlboards.net - IN FULFILLMENT  (Read 61159 times)

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
[GB] Pandora - The 1 Percent 60% - pearlboards.net - IN FULFILLMENT
« on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 14:01:18 »
Latest update TLDR

January 11, 2022
Pandora Orders are being fulfilled on a FCFS basis and are now shipping!

Introducing Pandora 60% - For the 1%

Streamer Content
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/731585083
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/731792759

Full Photo Album
https://imgur.com/a/RopW514

GB September 12, 2020 10AM EST FCFS @ https://pearlboards.net
Hello everyone! Pandora is a premium, 60% full-isolation gasket mounted keyboard which uses USB-C, has a dedicated USB pass-through and a rear mounted rotary encoder. It features laser engraving, exotic PVD coated metals or polycarbonate, a hefty weight, and a beautiful curved side profile. The sides feature hollow winglets to shine RGB down onto your desk, and the 9.5° typing angle gives you a very unique typing experience. There are many different plate options to ensure you get the sound and feel you want. As a final touch, each board will come with a large micro-fiber cleaning cloth, and a premium USB-C cable. After a long interest check and 3 prototypes, the Pandora 60% GB is here.
150-300 units, 50 Special Edition units, unlimited extras, FCFS

Read my Disclaimers and FAQ please - https://pearlboards.net/pages/faq
Interest Check - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107373.0

Disclaimer
I want to extend a kind note to any newcomers that this is not a beginner friendly board. It requires patience, knowledge, and proper handling to ensure its proper function. I say this in regard to things such as but not limited to, aligning plates with gasket systems, not over-tightening polycarbonate parts, understanding which plates are best for you, properly using a hotswap pcb with the right switches, picking the right materials and combinations, and understanding how to build/program a custom board.

Collaborations
Bear Cable Co - Making premium cables for EVERY order
Latrialum - Casting limited resin badges

Case Options
9.5 degree typing angle
"Full Isolation" Poron Gasket mounting system
MX HHKB, ANSI, WKL tops
Big bottom weight
USB 2.0 HUB
Rear mounted rotary encoder for push/rotate functions to adjust things like volume
Laser engraved accent pieces
Alu 6063 or Dyed Polycarbonate case options
Caps indicator led on case top
RGB Underglow
EVA Foam dampening available for case and PCB/plate
Gold plated mounting hardware
Bear_Cable_Co cables for every order
Full bodied RGB diffuser

PCB Options
ANSI, ISO, TSANGAN layouts
Split lshift, rshift, backspace and stepped caps on solder PCB
Hotswap PCB available in TSANGAN layout w/ normal backspace
10u spacebar support
Latest USB C Daughterboard tech
Flex cuts across pcb center

Plate Options
Alu, Brass, Stainless Steel, Pom, Polycarbonate, Fr4, Titanium, Carbon Fiber
Ansi or Iso plates
Halfplate or Fullplate
Relief "meme" cuts on all halfplates

Special Thanks
Evy (formerly MaartenWut) - Taught me PCB design
Dingusxmcgee_, All rendering work
JordiJolimon(StrataKb), prototype laser cutting
Robotical, Shadohhh, Kaazzeerr, Mangoes, IRL support
Bear Cable Co, Latrialum, collab support
Jetpacktuxedo, Olivia, MechMerlin, Taylor, QMK support
Mr. Keebs, Gondolindrim, r4wromg, Nixytheria, Lulzthax, design support
Exclusive, Riotonthebay, Walletburner, design inspirations

Contact
Discord - Koobaczech#0001
Youtube -
https://www.youtube.com/c/Pearlboards
Website - https://pearlboards.net
Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/user/Koobaczech/
Email - pearlboards@gmail.com
Join the Pearlboards Discord and discuss Pandora in the #pandora channel! Pearlboards Discord

Signature
(Please add this to your profile to support Pandora 60%)
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108524.0][img width=267 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/5CYazwC.jpg[/img][/url]

« Last Edit: Thu, 13 January 2022, 09:45:14 by Koobaczech »

Offline PikaJoyce

YES!!!!!!! ITS HAPPENINNGGGGGGG

Offline beekey

Oh boy, the one board I want to get this year!

Offline Shadohhh

Good Luck everyone!  :thumb:

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
Hell yeah dude, glwgb!

Offline AidenHero

me: I want a keycult
mom: we have a keycult at home

keycult at home: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108524.0

Offline jayiskuhl

Almost game time, can't wait!
Rukia (?) | gaff. 60 | Pandora | Praxis | Bauer 2

Offline Dubsadan

I want to extend a kind note to any newcomers that this is not a beginner friendly board. It requires patience, knowledge, and proper handling to ensure its proper function. I say this in regard to things such as but not limited to, aligning plates with gasket systems, not over-tightening polycarbonate parts, understanding which plates are best for you, properly using a hotswap pcb with the right switches, picking the right materials and combinations, and understanding how to build/program a custom board.

This is...condescending at best.

But glwgb.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 September 2020, 15:57:16 by Dubsadan »

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
10x Space bar ftw. I want it but my 60% boards see almost no use. Maybe an Alice layout with 10x space bar support is next.

Damnit I might get one anyways.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
Thanks for the cheers fellas! Appreciate you all sticking through it till now :thumb:

I would also like to ask anyone to please keep the negative/snarky comments to yourself!

To address the disclaimer, I've heard many say this will be their first custom board. That makes me really happy, but I want everyone to understand that they need to be careful with this board because its complicated, limited, and not cheap. Its not a Taobao board you can just mess around with until it breaks and buy a replacement part off mech market. This is a limited preorder.

If anyone here truly thought that disclaimer was condescending, you absolutely missed the point of it, and I invite you to hop on the #help channel of many mechanical discords and see the questions first time builders are asking. Thats why the disclaimer was written. This board is available to everyone, and as such, its complexity needs to be addressed.

Offline DukeEsquire

Sorry if I'm being an idiot, but what is the difference between the special editions and the regular editions?

There are the 2 party paint boards and there are "Mix and Match". For mix and match, are you choosing from the same colors as the regular GB, but you have the opportunity to mix and match the top, bottom, knob, weight...etc.? Does Special Edition open up any new colors or materials?

Are the special edition and regular edition boards all going on sale at the same time?
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 September 2020, 17:32:02 by DukeEsquire »

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
Don't be sorry dude, glad you asked. Special edition lets you mix all available parts, not just top and bottom, plus allows you to pick a few more options and customize your badge. I will send you a google form after purchase where you can pick everything, and you get a hotswap pcb too. And they go on sale at the same time yes.

Party Paint is limited to 2 boards, and is a hand finish i do myself, seen here

Offline DukeEsquire

Don't be sorry dude, glad you asked. Special edition lets you mix all available parts, not just top and bottom, plus allows you to pick a few more options and customize your badge. I will send you a google form after purchase where you can pick everything, and you get a hotswap pcb too. And they go on sale at the same time yes.

Party Paint is limited to 2 boards, and is a hand finish i do myself, seen here
Show Image

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

I'm going to shoot for the party paint. Fingers crossed.

Edit: What kind of paint do you use for that?

Offline Diamagisk

Awesome to see we've reached this stage, I'll be camping out a few hours before the website opens to make sure I get in there quickly! Goodluck to Koob and everyone else.

I know this might be a bit annoying Koob but is it possible to get a bit of weight breakdown of things like the SS plate by themselves/Cases by themselves ect  so we can see what each config would be like in terms of how heavy the board would be?

Sorry if this is a bit too much hassle.

Offline darthcapn

Have been watching this board for quite some time, made up my mind on several colors and after a lot of discussion with Koob, I can say that I am ready for this tsunami to hit me wherever it wishes to. You the man!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline zedbraxmen

• Sheesh
Hey Koob, glad this made it to the GB list! In light of script kiddies using bots ruining the fun of GBs, would you consider only posting the product link for the actual purchase like at the time of the GB? This way the URL page is not stashed and prepped for bot.  Or do you already have a plan to mitigate that?
Cheers! GLWGB. I hope the board goes out to people who wants it, and not aftermarket sellers.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 September 2020, 18:58:42 by zedbraxmen »

HHKB Kei | Constellation

Offline Dubsadan

Thanks for the cheers fellas! Appreciate you all sticking through it till now :thumb:

I would also like to ask anyone to please keep the negative/snarky comments to yourself!

To address the disclaimer, I've heard many say this will be their first custom board. That makes me really happy, but I want everyone to understand that they need to be careful with this board because its complicated, limited, and not cheap. Its not a Taobao board you can just mess around with until it breaks and buy a replacement part off mech market. This is a limited preorder.

If anyone here truly thought that disclaimer was condescending, you absolutely missed the point of it, and I invite you to hop on the #help channel of many mechanical discords and see the questions first time builders are asking. Thats why the disclaimer was written. This board is available to everyone, and as such, its complexity needs to be addressed.

Alright friend. To be fair, you describe your board in unambiguously elitist terms, so I find it a bit troubling that you're also taking the mantle of protector and educator of newcomers for yourself.  I spend lots of time on various discords answering questions where I feel I can help, and being just a couple years into this world myself I think I have a good sense what parts of this hobby are confusing to newcomers. What stands out most for me among newcomers is that they are often intimidated by things that are not (or should not be) intimidating. I don't doubt that you've also done lots of educating of newcomers in your time, but this GB is not one of those times.

The trouble with your "disclaimer" is that in an effort to reinforce the explicitly elitist marketing narrative, you are trying to give those same newcomers the impression that there is something unusually difficult and complex about this board. There isn't. Instead you're just contributing to the intimidation factor faced by newcomers.

Following your logic, the NK65 Entry should also have some kind of disclaimer for beginners, because it involves understanding how to "program a custom board" (is that what we're calling using VIA now?), "properly using a hotswap PCB" (does the hotswap on your PCB require some special pushing technique?), and "not over-tightening polycarbonate parts" (just in case beginners aren't sufficiently intimidated, they should be scared when using a screwdriver). Don't even get me started on "picking the right materials and combinations", as if there are wrong combinations for beginners to avoid. If there are actual unique complexities about this board then I stand to be corrected, but nothing apparent from the GB or IC.

It's all well and good to market your board with a particular "luxury" angle - I actually think it's well done in your case and I have no doubt your board will be well received. But you can do so without reinforcing silly myths about how certain aspects of this hobby are beyond the reach of mere beginners.  I stand by the condescending description - it's condescending not just to the intelligence of the average beginner, but also to all the other boards out there with basically the same features and no "disclaimers" warning about their special complexity. Now that I think about it, it may be intentional, sort of like how the salesperson at Saks asks me if I'm lost when I go in to browse the shoe selection.

Anyway, I won't clog up your GB any further. I wish you all the best and I genuinely look forward to your next board!

Offline Shadohhh

Alright friend. To be fair, you describe your board in unambiguously elitist terms, so I find it a bit troubling that you're also taking the mantle of protector and educator of newcomers for yourself.  I spend lots of time on various discords answering questions where I feel I can help, and being just a couple years into this world myself I think I have a good sense what parts of this hobby are confusing to newcomers. What stands out most for me among newcomers is that they are often intimidated by things that are not (or should not be) intimidating. I don't doubt that you've also done lots of educating of newcomers in your time, but this GB is not one of those times.

The trouble with your "disclaimer" is that in an effort to reinforce the explicitly elitist marketing narrative, you are trying to give those same newcomers the impression that there is something unusually difficult and complex about this board. There isn't. Instead you're just contributing to the intimidation factor faced by newcomers.

Following your logic, the NK65 Entry should also have some kind of disclaimer for beginners, because it involves understanding how to "program a custom board" (is that what we're calling using VIA now?), "properly using a hotswap PCB" (does the hotswap on your PCB require some special pushing technique?), and "not over-tightening polycarbonate parts" (just in case beginners aren't sufficiently intimidated, they should be scared when using a screwdriver). Don't even get me started on "picking the right materials and combinations", as if there are wrong combinations for beginners to avoid. If there are actual unique complexities about this board then I stand to be corrected, but nothing apparent from the GB or IC.

It's all well and good to market your board with a particular "luxury" angle - I actually think it's well done in your case and I have no doubt your board will be well received. But you can do so without reinforcing silly myths about how certain aspects of this hobby are beyond the reach of mere beginners.  I stand by the condescending description - it's condescending not just to the intelligence of the average beginner, but also to all the other boards out there with basically the same features and no "disclaimers" warning about their special complexity. Now that I think about it, it may be intentional, sort of like how the salesperson at Saks asks me if I'm lost when I go in to browse the shoe selection.

Anyway, I won't clog up your GB any further. I wish you all the best and I genuinely look forward to your next board!

I would define this as slightly more complex than a normal keyboard being sold. I agree that plugging in 4 JST connectors is easy but then again it may be a surprise for some. It is just a disclaimer to encourage anyone wanting to purchase the board that there are some unique components and to do your research before buying.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
My body is ready.

Offline tnsw

Is it possible to add extra parts to the cart beforehand?  I'm afraid the keyboards may sell out while I put them in my cart.

Offline KingOfMemes

Is it possible to add extra parts to the cart beforehand?  I'm afraid the keyboards may sell out while I put them in my cart.
I'm sleeping on the extras on this one. I don't want to get cart jacked

Offline nathanchere

But glwgb.

100% disagree. There would be far fewer frustrated group buy customers if people took the time to give people a realistic impression of the challenges they're buying into, and I [edit]can't[/edit] imagine it being phrased any more politely than has been done already without becoming condescending in the process.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 September 2020, 09:02:17 by nathanchere »

Offline KingOfMemes

But glwgb.

100% disagree. There would be far fewer frustrated group buy customers if people took the time to give people a realistic impression of the challenges they're buying into, and I imagine it being phrased any more politely than has been done already without becoming condescending in the process.
This thing is "The 1 percent of 60%'s". I thought we were all here to be elitist and condescending. I thought that was the point

Offline jacky

I am fan of Exclusive , nice e6v2:thumb:

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
I see you're a fan of the TGR Alice as well :thumb:

Offline lush_bunny

I'm sleeping on the extras on this one. I don't want to get cart jacked

I share your concern. I want the damn White POM plate so bad, but I feel I'll get the rug pulled out under me at the last second. :(

Offline lanyusea

I am fan of Exclusive , nice e6v2:thumb:

Show Image

then I realized why it looks such familiar at my first sight.

especially the nameplate and middle pieces

:blank: :blank: :blank:
HHKB Type-s / 4x KMAC Happy / 3x Duck Viper v1 / 2x Duck Viper v2 / 4x Duck Viper Duck TCV3 / Red Scarf 77 / 2x Infinity 60 / 2x ALF HHKB / LZ-CE / FJELL / Canoe / Canoe PC / Canoe FE / ARES Prototype / 2x Ares / LC-CLSh / TX60 / YODA2 / E6-V2 / E6-V2 FE / CAMP LC60 / 2x EM 7 / 4x Leaf 60 / UHK / Project F / Polaris / 4x Duck Viper v3 / TX60 v2 / Thermal / Matrix Falcon / TX60 v3 / 2x TMO50 / 2x Dolice / Dolphin 65 / Dolphin 60 / Plenty of keycaps

Offline Shadohhh

Groupbuy starts in 2 days!

Offline Diamagisk

Any chance that if we quickly get a board to secure our position, that we can have extra plate/PCB merged into our original order and not have to pay shipping twice?

Offline ninjacore

Any chance that if we quickly get a board to secure our position, that we can have extra plate/PCB merged into our original order and not have to pay shipping twice?

+1

Offline nihonjam

Looking forward to this and have my alarm set.

Offline zedbraxmen

• Sheesh

+1 on this.
I don't know if this is going to be a hassle, but maybe Koob can consider to email folks that has secured a spot and ask if they want to buy extras (in a google form or something).

HHKB Kei | Constellation

Offline foo4542

Any estimated timeline?
Edit: nvm, found in the listing on the website - 4-8 Months.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 September 2020, 08:28:30 by foo4542 »

Offline m1raz

The price seems not right in each kits if I choose different plate materials, steel+$30 and brass+$20, should be like that.

Offline Olaipai

Waaait, what happened on your website? I could add the Pandora and check out? I pressed confirmed and suddenly it was sold out? I thought the GB didn't launch yet?  :eek:

Offline Diamagisk

Waaait, what happened on your website? I could add the Pandora and check out? I pressed confirmed and suddenly it was sold out? I thought the GB didn't launch yet?  :eek:

Most likely just setting things up like allowing people to add PCBs/Plates before the buy.

Offline Olaipai

Most likely just setting things up like allowing people to add PCBs/Plates before the buy.

That does make sense. I noticed it just went live again. Hopefully this goes smooth.

Any idea if the shipping price we see on checkout is the actual pricing off it? Over 90$ in shipping is very expensive (but, I am located across the world I guess).

Offline RexKorp

That does make sense. I noticed it just went live again. Hopefully this goes smooth.

Any idea if the shipping price we see on checkout is the actual pricing off it? Over 90$ in shipping is very expensive (but, I am located across the world I guess).

Also got ~95 USD in shipping (Sweden). Really hoping it's not correct. Shipping + customs is going to be close to (if not over) 300 USD, price of a decent mid-tier board :confused:

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
Hey fellas! Couple of things. If you are more comfortable buying a kit first and then adding the stuff second, be my guest. But it will make it very hard for me to organize orders that way!

Sites been taking a tiny amount of orders for friends and family ~10. Shopify has a reserve feature but apparently it doesn't work if you can check out. But I password protected the site for now lol.

As for shipping, imagine an 8lb large box, and then tack on insurance up to $800 for each order. It adds up a lot.

I'll add more info soon tonight, thank you all!

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
Everyone. Here are some tips for tomorrow, and for the coming days.

Site will be password protected hours before buy. The password will be on the landing page, next to the password box.

PayPal is disabled. No one wants this buy to be locked up because of funds, so it's a smart move.

There will be a random captcha on entering your required phone number during checkout. Have your phone on you.

Making an account on my site will help you checkout fast.

I don't expect Party Paint Edition to last at all, or Mix and Match Editions to last long either, I'm sorry.

As for the other kits, goodluck and have fun!

I will be using a Shopify app to limit maximum order quantities. I've tested it a little but I pray it works well. If it doesn't work well and bots or whatever spiral out of control, it will be a scary outcome for the buy or extend fulfillment time.

All extras are unlimited. If I have to combine your order I will take a cut refunding your extra shipping as refunding incurs charges on my end.

Give me lots of time to answer emails, dms, pms and thread messages please. I imagine there will be kit changes, refunds, and things coming.

Thanks all,
Koob

Offline zedbraxmen

• Sheesh
Everyone. Here are some tips for tomorrow, and for the coming days.

Site will be password protected hours before buy. The password will be on the landing page, next to the password box.

PayPal is disabled. No one wants this buy to be locked up because of funds, so it's a smart move.

There will be a random captcha on entering your required phone number during checkout. Have your phone on you.

Making an account on my site will help you checkout fast.

I don't expect Party Paint Edition to last at all, or Mix and Match Editions to last long either, I'm sorry.

As for the other kits, goodluck and have fun!

I will be using a Shopify app to limit maximum order quantities. I've tested it a little but I pray it works well. If it doesn't work well and bots or whatever spiral out of control, it will be a scary outcome for the buy or extend fulfillment time.

All extras are unlimited. If I have to combine your order I will take a cut refunding your extra shipping as refunding incurs charges on my end.

Give me lots of time to answer emails, dms, pms and thread messages please. I imagine there will be kit changes, refunds, and things coming.

Thanks all,
Koob

Great bot-bash preventive measure! Wish ya'll good luck w/ the GB!

HHKB Kei | Constellation

Offline RexKorp

Can you remove the password for now so that we can create an account?

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
Yes sir, open for you again. Thank you for your patience

Offline DomAndretti

That Poly-carbonate is so beautiful  :-*. I wish I had the funds because the FOMO is going to haunt me for a while.

Offline lush_bunny

Dumb questions:

• This password is separate from your account password? Do you have to input this password and then log in with your account?
  • Dumber question... PayPal disabled, so we can straight up use credit cards yes?

Fingers crossed for this baby.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
1. Yes, its a site password.
2. Yes! Or Apple Pay, etc etc
 :thumb:

Offline neoCobweb

Hey Koob! Quick question: So the time for the buy is 10AM EST, but most EST places are EDT right now(including florida) so I just want to confirm that it is 10AM EST and not 10AM EDT :)

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
EST :p For reference its 11:13 right now here

Offline RexKorp

I really hope I can snag one!

Is it possible to add an additional name badge? It'd be nice to get custom engraving but honestly, I'd be fine with a blank one so that I can get it engraved.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
I'm sure you will be able to get one Rex! Also I'm sorry about Sweden shipping that's rough x! And sure man. I guess I wouldn't mind doing that. But you'd need to message me a lot and be on top of me so I don't forget pleaseee!