Author Topic: [GB] Pearl 40% R1 Complete - www.pearlboards.com - Thank you!  (Read 200473 times)

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
[GB] Pearl 40% R1 Complete - www.pearlboards.com - Thank you!
« on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 00:57:41 »
146 Total R1's made

Current Orders Form
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1trW8PJpHkyteALfXAiS5D8cX3kRTD3I15ippUzGAb20/edit?usp=sharing

Introducing Pearl 40%

Streamer Content

Full Photo Album
https://imgur.com/a/rsh4z https://imgur.com/a/mNt1k

GB December 1, 2017 10AM EST FCFS @ https://pearlboards.net
Hello I'm Koobaczech, this boards sole designer, and I'm here to tell you the modern day 40% board has arrived! I've loved 40% boards and decided to fuse my three favorites together into one. Mechminis RGB, Mininvans Cherry/Alps compatibility and JD45s thick case and blocked style. I then added some modern features like side indicators, usb-c and a better layout. Initially it was just a project for myself, but the community received it well so I'm going to decide if i can sell it to you all! Hope you enjoy the board and support this project!
Interest Check - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107373.0

About Pearl 40%
Free shipping within CONUS. Respective international shipping prices added at checkout
A single purchase comes with (Case (top/bot), Weight, PCB, Diffuser, Plate, 10ft cable, Screws, Plastic feet) and costs $280 USD
Each extra PCB costs $35 USD
Each extra Plate in either brass or aluminum costs $35 USD
Each extra Diffuser costs $15 USD
Expected to be shipped TO YOU during March

Collaborations
Komatoz+BoomSnapCaps - Custom Treasure Chest Artisans

Case Options
6 degree typing angle
Top Mount system
Sandblasted brass weight with custom engraving
Anodized Alu 6061 - Black/Gray/Silver/Cyan/Blue/Red/Pink/Purple/Yellow/Green/Rose Gold/Orange
Slightly sunken in design so keys hide more
Tight fit design, inner bezels hug keycaps
Diamond engraving in rear corner
Triple locking indicator leds on case top
RGB Underglow
EVA Foam dampening available for PCB
Full bodied RGB diffuser

PCB Options
Split lshift, rshift, backspace and split spacebar
Bootmapper Client or QMK
USB C left mounted
RGB under-glow/NON-RGB top led support
Plate mounted or screw in stab support
Cherry or ALPS support
Offset stagger layout (no need for 40% modifier keyset kits)

Plate Options
Aluminum, Brass, Acrylic
Many colors for Acrylic or Aluminum
Brass is polished

Special Thanks
Dave from mechkeys.ca, support, advice, mentoring and help planning
William_S_Jones, forcing me to do split spacebar layout
Homerow Co. (Keebs), helping me get started with CAD
R0b0tical, helping me try on a ton of 1337 GMK keysets
pabloescobyte, Komatoz, Chachal, Jolimon, Mito, Phatskin, support and any kit addons

Contact
Discord - Koobaczech#0001
Youtube -
https://www.youtube.com/c/Pearlboards
Website - https://pearlboards.net
Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/user/Koobaczech/
Email - pearlboards@gmail.com
Join the Pearlboards Discord and discuss Pearl in the #pearl channel! Pearlboards Discord

Signature
(Please add this to your profile to support Pearl 40%)
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92259.0][img width=267 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/f39Jnm3.jpg[/img][/url]

« Last Edit: Mon, 27 September 2021, 13:23:26 by Koobaczech »

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
FAQ

What's with the diamond vs. the name Pearl?
The Diamond is my logo, and Pearl is the series/name of this board. A future 60% could also be named Pearl, but it would be referred to as the Pearl 60% for example. Logo vs. board name.

Do prices differ if you choose an ALU or BRASS plate?
No, prices are the same :)

Does this come assembled or what?
You get all the parts to assemble it yourself, switches and keycaps not included. If you want it assembled I suggest TURBOKEYS.US

What is the weight of the Pearl, and can it be built without the brass weight?
A fully built Pearl with caps is 2.6lbs (POUNDS). The weight alone is about 1lbs. Building without the weight does not affect functionality at all and brings the total weight down to 1.6lbs.

Does a brass plate affect feel/sound?
Very much so. Its sturdier, less flex, heavier, and "clicks" sound more pingy. Its a deeper richer sound and a firmer feel. But the ALU looks brilliant when it shines through the caps, and acrylic is the quietest and softest.

Do you have any proxies set up?
None, unfortunately. You need to understand this isn't a GMK set that comes prepackaged in a tray and just gets sent out via the individual proxies. I need to inspect every board, package it, throw in my business cards and extras and be responsible for each board. Especially on my first ever GB.

Why are the indicator lights in a corner vs. the top, and what's with the positioning?
I'm a big SA fan. Putting the indicator lights on the top left or right corners would have blocked them due to SA caps being so tall. I then decided to move them down to a blocker, and positioned them in the lower 2/3'ds of the right blocker.

What stabs work, and do holtites work?
Any cherry PCB mounted stabs work, including Zeal's screw in stabs. And holtites should work. Costar stabs work too.

What options do you recommend for the Pearl?
My endgame build would be a CYAN Pearl + brass plate with SA Pulse mods, SA Calm Depths alphas, 2u Backspace, split R-Shift and 6.25u Spacebar. Then id throw blue leds all over the board, and red leds for the indicator lights. Probably box whites.

Other cool builds are lubed linears with acrylic playes. That to me is incredible.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 February 2018, 15:06:27 by Koobaczech »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
glwgb
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline lordgiblite

I'm excited...(insert heavy breathing)

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
glwgb
Puddsy, thank you so much. Do also please forgive me for not getting back to that pm. Been running around like a headless horse!

I'm excited...(insert heavy breathing)
Woot me too my friend. Way more scared than excited but nonetheless happy to think about getting a pretty board in peoples hands.

Offline Jedi

Excited for you and definitely wanting in on this.  :thumb:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
glwgb
Puddsy, thank you so much. Do also please forgive me for not getting back to that pm. Been running around like a headless horse!

no worries

i know how it gets with GBs
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
Going to be a difficult decision picking a color. Cyan and yellow look awesome but black, gray, or silver would be more compatible with stuff.
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Silver most compatible IMO.  Any set with light alphas works wonderfully.  Black second most, as any set with dark mods or dark alphas looks nice.  Gray I have mixed feelings about.  I know it's probably the most popular case color, but I think it really particular sets to work with.. I think my gripe is that gray mods (like half the sets around?) that  don't contrast enough or aren't well color matched irks me :D

Am I brave enough to do a yellow case with Nautilus? (only one single key will be off profile with nautilus due to it's good 40% support.. either caps or enter).  Or maybe blue. 

keyboards.

Offline vladko95

Love the case, im debating whether I should get the orange case for GMK yuri. Do you think it will match with the blue and fiery orange? or is a lighter orange?

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Love the case, im debating whether I should get the orange case for GMK yuri. Do you think it will match with the blue and fiery orange? or is a lighter orange?

I suspect it will be a lighter orange than Yuri.
keyboards.

Offline foxlive

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
Can’t wait to join this groupbuy! I am deeply confused about which color to pick since I will soon receive two keyaet: Budapest SA and Dasher SA..
it would be rose gold for Budapest SA, cyan or orange for Dasher SA!! Life dilemma  :p

Offline Kalopsia

Can’t wait to join this groupbuy! I am deeply confused about which color to pick since I will soon receive two keyaet: Budapest SA and Dasher SA..
it would be rose gold for Budapest SA, cyan or orange for Dasher SA!! Life dilemma  :p

Im in the same boat, althugh I already got Budapest and Dasher so im most likely getting the rose gold and blue  for those :D Im thinking calm depths with cyan!
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 October 2017, 10:39:44 by Kalopsia »

Offline Perfex

Hmm... trying to decide what color would suit Jukebox aka Futurama best.

I don’t think I’ve seen a group buy with so many anodizing choices.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 October 2017, 17:42:42 by Perfex »

Offline captainish

I've had my eye on this for a while. Hope I can find a spot  :thumb:

Offline mattgrimes

If I wanted to do a  1.25U right shft and a 1U Fn to the right of it (Rather than having the 1U on the left and the 1.25U to the right) would it work, or would it be offset?

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
If I wanted to do a  1.25U right shft and a 1U Fn to the right of it (Rather than having the 1U on the left and the 1.25U to the right) would it work, or would it be offset?

The plate would support it, but the PCB does not.  You wouldn't be able to fit a 1.25U cap on the left.

keyboards.

Offline SuperBo

Some question. Following FAQ, I need PCB-mounted stab to build this keyboard, what about switch. I guess switch is plate mounted.
Therefore PCB-mounted stab and plate-mounted switch, is this right?

Does these stab work? https://zealpc.net/collections/halloween-trick-or-treat-sale/products/zealstabilizers

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
Great seeing you guys mentally prep for a good color scheme! There are so many options i honestly had a hard time choosing for my 4 prototypes. Was so conflicted!!

Thanks tameone for answering his question! On a split right shift only 1u-1.25u works.

Some question. Following FAQ, I need PCB-mounted stab to build this keyboard, what about switch. I guess switch is plate mounted.
Therefore PCB-mounted stab and plate-mounted switch, is this right?

Does these stab work? https://zealpc.net/collections/halloween-trick-or-treat-sale/products/zealstabilizers
Yes those will work and yes you are right! On a side note, PCB mounted switches will work just as fine if not better, since they also mount to the plate and PCB. PCB mounted switches are the same as plate mounted but they have little legs that poke into the PCB. So you are getting double the tightness per switch if you go with those.

Also getting some small physical color samples today after work. Will post those up when i get them!
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 October 2017, 09:34:25 by Koobaczech »

Offline lordgiblite

Also getting some small physical color samples today after work. Will post those up when i get them!

OH YEAAH! Let's see them colors koob! Thankfully I at least know what set I'm using with the pearl so it only comes down to how the cases look themselves! (I only wish I could get more than one)

Offline eyedrop

Honest question, what would you do for a return key?  Just thinking if you have to go to a layer for a return key, it would be annoying since that is used quite often.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
Honest question, what would you do for a return key?  Just thinking if you have to go to a layer for a return key, it would be annoying since that is used quite often.

just because it doesn't say return on it, doesn't make it not a return key

that |\ would make a nice one

Offline Calza

What is the weight of this fully manufactured?

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
2.6lbs fully built with keycaps. Brass weight is 1lb alone.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
You are awesome for offering so many colors (especially green), but god damn it'll be hard to choose.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
Haha thanks! Im actually losing money by doing so. So many extra colors up the charge. Anodizing follows the same principles of economies of scale as all the other parts. Its like if you buy a gallon of milk but only pour a glass. Im paying for the whole gallon just to be able to offer you all something nice and extra. Fingers are crossed that it all goes well, and if all said and done i can ship you all some pretty boards, that will put a smile on my face

Offline mattgrimes

The plate would support it, but the PCB does not.  You wouldn't be able to fit a 1.25U cap on the left.

Show Image

Thanks! If I wanted to throw a JD40 PCB in there, would the case/plate support it?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker

Show Image

Thanks! If I wanted to throw a JD40 PCB in there, would the case/plate support it?

This uses USB-C so I doubt it.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards

Show Image

Hey buddy, the JD40 PCB has one less column than Pearl. Its a 4x12 matrix vs. my 4x13 matrix. Not only that, the bottom row is centered on Pearl (about 1mm to the right more).  And Row 2 is staggered differently than any 40% in existence as well (few mm's to the right). So in no way would any other 40% pcb fit. I could design a plate for the JD45 pcb, but I have to see that the usb clears and also i you might have some tiny gaps on the sides of the bottom rows..Ill check tonight how it looks!

I wrote a super interesting article on Pearls layout if you would like to read up on it here - https://www.pearlboards.com/blogs/news/pearls-unique-key-layout
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 October 2017, 17:09:24 by Koobaczech »

Offline SuperBo

Show Image

Hey buddy, the JD40 PCB has one less column than Pearl. Its a 4x12 matrix vs. my 4x13 matrix. Not only that, the bottom row is centered on Pearl (about 1mm to the right more).  And Row 2 is staggered differently than any 40% in existence as well (few mm's to the right). So in no way would any other 40% pcb fit. I could design a plate for the JD45 pcb, but I have to see that the usb clears and also i you might have some tiny gaps on the sides of the bottom rows..Ill check tonight how it looks!

I wrote a super interesting article on Pearls layout if you would like to read up on it here - https://www.pearlboards.com/blogs/news/pearls-unique-key-layout
Great article. Decided to go with spilt spacebar. Still considering about right shift and backspace. Cause the split spacebar give me backspace at the bottom position. Do I need additional keys at right position by splitting right shift and backspace.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline lordgiblite

Haha thanks! Im actually losing money by doing so. So many extra colors up the charge. Anodizing follows the same principles of economies of scale as all the other parts. Its like if you buy a gallon of milk but only pour a glass. Im paying for the whole gallon just to be able to offer you all something nice and extra. Fingers are crossed that it all goes well, and if all said and done i can ship you all some pretty boards, that will put a smile on my face

Koob, you seriously rock! This makes me want to purchase just that much more!!!
I'm glad it looks like everything's coming together well, also that website is pretty nice, and I wasn't expecting stickers! (You must have talked to my wife and found out I love stickers ;) because now I have to buy some)

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
Great article. Decided to go with spilt spacebar. Still considering about right shift and backspace. Cause the split spacebar give me backspace at the bottom position. Do I need additional keys at right position by splitting right shift and backspace.
Thank you, and not sure what you are asking my friend!

Koob, you seriously rock! This makes me want to purchase just that much more!!!
I'm glad it looks like everything's coming together well, also that website is pretty nice, and I wasn't expecting stickers! (You must have talked to my wife and found out I love stickers ;) because now I have to buy some)
Awesome man!!! I'm so happy haha :] I'll get some your way for sure!

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
Alright fellas, big update. Sample time. These are physical color samples. Now please listen, these colors change drastically based on time of day, lighting camera pics, monitors and what not. Take them with a pinch of salt. And the actual Pearls could come out totally different unfortunately.
Pictured here are green, pink, blue, silver, orange and yellow (kinda gold)

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
Re: [GB] Pearl 40% - LIVE until December 1st at www.pearlboards.com
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 23:06:35 »
Gb is live fellas. Best luck to all and any questions feel free to ask! Thanks to everyone who helped and supported this project!

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 23:35:58 »
In for a red and brass! Such a beautiful board, very nice job!
-Dana

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 23:43:20 »
My wallet has died today, and it will be resurrected in the keyboard master race form that it knows it will be! Got myself that beautiful purple Pearl!

Now what kind of switches should I get.....RIP wallet 2.0 :thumb:

Offline Captain Shwah

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 23:45:57 »
Doing my part to help with that moq :rolleyes:
Went with yellow and a brass plate.

Cheers Kooba! This is gonna be so great.

Offline SuperBo

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 00:20:22 »
Gb is live fellas. Best luck to all and any questions feel free to ask! Thanks to everyone who helped and supported this project!
Waiting for new month salary to make an order LOL :v

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 04:03:07 »
I love the design but without having read into it, $280 for this small a board seems really expensive to me.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 November 2017, 04:10:00 by GreyAmbience »

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 06:52:07 »
Holding out to see if MOQ will allow for a bare alu case (sans anodization)
keyboards.

Offline donut_sauce

Re: [GB] Pearl 40% - Opens November 1st until December 1st at www.pearlboards.com
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 08:25:58 »
Going to be a difficult decision picking a color. Cyan and yellow look awesome but black, gray, or silver would be more compatible with stuff.
exactly how i feel. cyan and yellow seem more fun but i think what's really cool about this design is how flexible it is with keysets so while I want a fun color I also want to take advantage of it's compatibility which means choosing something neutral

Offline donut_sauce

Re: [GB] Pearl 40% - Opens November 1st until December 1st at www.pearlboards.com
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 08:30:05 »
Silver most compatible IMO.  Any set with light alphas works wonderfully.  Black second most, as any set with dark mods or dark alphas looks nice.  Gray I have mixed feelings about.  I know it's probably the most popular case color, but I think it really particular sets to work with.. I think my gripe is that gray mods (like half the sets around?) that  don't contrast enough or aren't well color matched irks me :D

Am I brave enough to do a yellow case with Nautilus? (only one single key will be off profile with nautilus due to it's good 40% support.. either caps or enter).  Or maybe blue.
yup. this is probably what I'm gonna do. Was also thinking grey but like you mention it's really only compatible with certain sets.

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 09:55:49 »
How does the PCB fair as far as holtite compatibility? It looks like 1 of the 2 switch holes would be fine but some solder tacking would be needed for the larger hole. I would love to have my spare pcb a switch testing one :)

(I'm also a holtite noob so go easy on me if I'm completely wrong)

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:18:19 »

yup. this is probably what I'm gonna do. Was also thinking grey but like you mention it's really only compatible with certain sets.

and purchased. might pair it with a Rama M6???

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:22:08 »
In for a red and brass! Such a beautiful board, very nice job!
Great choice! Red looks very bold and solid, thanks for joining!

Doing my part to help with that moq :rolleyes:
Went with yellow and a brass plate.

Cheers Kooba! This is gonna be so great.
Damn my dude, your contribution might have saved the GB from imminent doom! Thanks a mil :)!

Waiting for new month salary to make an order LOL :v
Ha, that's pretty much me every month

I love the design but without having read into it, $280 for this small a board seems really expensive to me.
Appreciate it, cost is high due to all the extras and custom work. Considering a blocked JD45 is $250, but you cant buy them anymore and has half the parts, id say price isn't so bad!

Holding out to see if MOQ will allow for a bare alu case (sans anodization)
Haven't forgotten about you bud, I will definitely keep you in the loop on this.

So many options guys. Don't pick the wrong color ;] Ahh silver? Heck yea! Great color

How does the PCB fair as far as holtite compatibility? It looks like 1 of the 2 switch holes would be fine but some solder tacking would be needed for the larger hole. I would love to have my spare pcb a switch testing one :)
Lord, got your note and order, and it warmed my heart! You've got this dude, and ill pm you soon with some info for you!! Thanks for everything man!

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 10:39:20 »
Thanks. I'm going to buy in regardless and I don't want to be a hassle. Only if it's super easy for you.
keyboards.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 13:09:17 »
Never a hassle! You've been commenting since the day I posted my Interest Check, and I appreciate you sticking with it. I think joining in is the best route, and then I can always manually take care of your order if we hit MOQ! That way there's not all these "what if" orders floating around. Pm me what you'd like exactly, such as RAW plate+case etc. so I can keep track of it! And if it entails any price changes I can take care of those as well :]

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 15:37:12 »
Lord, got your note and order, and it warmed my heart! You've got this dude, and ill pm you soon with some info for you!! Thanks for everything man!

You're very welcome! I'll keep an eye out for a PM  :thumb:

Offline Tre3Cycl3S

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 16:47:41 »
Snag an adorable purple Pearl to add to my growing collection of 40%, looking forward to getting it in March!
QFR           HHKB Pro-2     JD45         VE.A                    XMIT 61-Key       JD40 Mk.II                    Realforce 87U     M65-A                 Custom:Annie      NightFox      Pearl                  E6-V2 R2                          Norbaforce
MX Blue     45g Topre        MX Blue     R5 67g Zealios     50g Hall Effect     Modded Gateron Red     55g Topre           R5 78g Zealios     62g Ergo Grey     Hako True     R9 62g Zilent     Lubed Holy Trash Panda     OG Sony BKE Domes

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 19:54:42 »
Woohoo! Already at 70% to MOQ by day 1