Author Topic: [IC] Cherry Profile Spacebars for VE.A, Golbat-40%, Clueboard, Van44, CP-SQ, etc  (Read 100797 times)

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
Any update to this? Only want black and beige tho

Offline Data

MOZ is running another GB through Originative right now, and GMK Skeletor is running there simultaneously.  Probably safe to assume MOZ will pick this back up once those GBs have run their courses.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
I'm planning on this right now, still looking for a vendor to run this. Not sure if we would hit the 150 number.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
If these are for spacebars I would choose to focus on the alpha colors of popular/recent sets:

Beige (L9) Classic Retro, GMK 9009
Light Grey (2M) Hyperfuse
Dolch alphas (CC) Dolch, Sky Dolch, etc, etc

For the colors I think you nailed it, but I would also consider:

Blue (N5) Electric Bluegaloo, SkiData accent

Just giving my opinions. 2M alphas would make me really happy. I'll probably go in for both kits regardless as my Golbat and CP-SQ have split spacebars  :thumb:

Offline shangrila500

I would be down to buy some space bars for my VE.A!

Offline shangrila500

I'm planning on this right now, still looking for a vendor to run this. Not sure if we would hit the 150 number.

I would be buying multiple sets, at least 1 of all the different colors, and I would wager a lot of people will also do the same thing so they have a space that either matches or at least goes with the vast majority of sets.

Quick question while you're paying attention. You mentioned the VE.A in the title and that you would have 1x 2.25u, 1x 2.75u, and 2x 2u keys but the VE.A takes a 1.75u spacebar and the other longer key on the bottom is a 1.5u (I think). Would there be a possibility that you'd consider adding one of each of those? I am in this mainly for the VE.A, which I will be using the GMK sets on, and would absolutely LOVE proper sized blanks to fit the space bar, at least, in multiple colors (black, Dolch greys, beige, and some bright colors like cyan and purple like you mentioned in the OP).

Also, would the beige or grey colors match, or at least come close to matching, the GMK Carbon set?

Sorry for the long post, I am somewhat new so a lot of what may be obvious to the veterans flies completely over my head!

Offline Phenix

I would also be interested in some blank spacebars for an clueboard.
For 2u at least one could use numpad 0 keys and dye them..
Winter is coming.

Offline krisst

I would be buying multiple sets, at least 1 of all the different colors, and I would wager a lot of people will also do the same thing so they have a space that either matches or at least goes with the vast majority of sets.

Quick question while you're paying attention. You mentioned the VE.A in the title and that you would have 1x 2.25u, 1x 2.75u, and 2x 2u keys but the VE.A takes a 1.75u spacebar and the other longer key on the bottom is a 1.5u (I think). Would there be a possibility that you'd consider adding one of each of those? I am in this mainly for the VE.A, which I will be using the GMK sets on, and would absolutely LOVE proper sized blanks to fit the space bar, at least, in multiple colors (black, Dolch greys, beige, and some bright colors like cyan and purple like you mentioned in the OP).

Also, would the beige or grey colors match, or at least come close to matching, the GMK Carbon set?

Sorry for the long post, I am somewhat new so a lot of what may be obvious to the veterans flies completely over my head!

VE.A spacebar sizes should be 2u for the left half spacebar, 2.75u for the right half spacebar. Which means by default, a regular keycap set should be able to fit it. Simply use the right shiftkey, and numpad 0 to use as spacebars. Of course will still have to get a 1.75u rightshift key.

Hope this helps.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
1.75U right shift key are quite commonly found in most sets now. The VE.A uses 2u and 2.75u IIRC for the spacebar positions.

Offline nyunyu

Interested in 2x Gateron white sets.

Offline ipreferpie

For some reason, I use 2x 1.75u for my JD45. Was hoping that it can be included too

Offline stoic-lemon

I'm in for a set. Moz is a reliable dude, so that's even better.

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
I am certainly interested. My first choice would be cherry profile black on black, then probably something that would work with the Overcasts.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
I could definitely use one or two sets.
SA or DSA out of preference.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
Good day Moz, just following up to see what's what w/ the spacebars b/c I'm still interested like many others!

Offline gerankle

Should do 2x 2.25 for Minorca owners ;). Would definitely purchase a set or two.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 September 2016, 12:37:01 by gerankle »

Offline jal

Good day Moz, just following up to see what's what w/ the spacebars b/c I'm still interested like many others!

Yup. Given that the VE.As are being delivered, I suspect there are approximately 102 other people who will suddenly find weird spacebar keys highly relevant to their interests.

Offline Vypr

Yup. Given that the VE.As are being delivered, I suspect there are approximately 102 other people who will suddenly find weird spacebar keys highly relevant to their interests.

* raises hand *  ;D
current keyboard: VE.A (home) WhiteFox TrueFox (home)  MD1 Infinity (Home)  Infinity Ergodox (work)
future keyboards:

Offline Asbrodeus

I'd get these just on the off chance that i was able to get a VE.A!

Offline bjvanst

I'd be interested in something neutral like black.  Would love to see 1.75U added as well.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
i'm definitely interested

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
I've been way too busy at work as of late, I will see if I can get this started with the help of MD or some other vendor.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
I've been way too busy at work as of late, I will see if I can get this started with the help of MD or some other vendor.
Thanks, I'm looking forward to this!

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
I need some 2u keys.  What about adding a couple 1u keys?  Is there any demand for those?

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
If these are for spacebars I would choose to focus on the alpha colors of popular/recent sets:

Beige (L9) Classic Retro, GMK 9009
Light Grey (2M) Hyperfuse
Dolch alphas (CC) Dolch, Sky Dolch, etc, etc

Definitely interested in these three options as well for the VE.A  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 October 2016, 16:56:12 by aaron6301 »

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
VE.A spacebar sizes should be 2u for the left half spacebar, 2.75u for the right half spacebar. Which means by default, a regular keycap set should be able to fit it. Simply use the right shiftkey, and numpad 0 to use as spacebars. Of course will still have to get a 1.75u rightshift key.

1.75U right shift key are quite commonly found in most sets now. The VE.A uses 2u and 2.75u IIRC for the spacebar positions.

I am in.  If you are going to make it, please make it spacebar profile, not just front row profile.  Here is what mine looks like.  There maybe 102 Massdrop buyers, but there are many more in South Korea.  If we include them, we may get more orders, especially if we can make it spacebar profile.

Offline Data

I'd settle for just blanks, but actual convex spacebars in 2u and 2.75u would be pretty rad.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff

I am in.  If you are going to make it, please make it spacebar profile, not just front row profile.  Here is what mine looks like.  There maybe 102 Massdrop buyers, but there are many more in South Korea.  If we include them, we may get more orders, especially if we can make it spacebar profile.

Show Image

This is going to be close to impossible becasue as far as I know, no manufacturers has 2u-2.75u in convex profile. Smallest available is 3u from Gateron.

Offline litster

SP maybe able to do a custom mold for extra cost.  IIRC, it was around a few hundred dollars. Other companies maybe able to do it for less.

Offline laughatpain

Whether its MD or another vendor, I just wanna see this happen

Offline need

SP maybe able to do a custom mold for extra cost.  IIRC, it was around a few hundred dollars. Other companies maybe able to do it for less.
It's something the community missing so badly, in my opinion the short concave spacebars should be on top of the projects priority list that we need to have next. It's such a sad scene that everyone's flipping their spacebars...
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 November 2016, 20:31:53 by need »

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
whatever happened to this? is this being pursued in another thread?

Offline litster

MOZ, would be happy to help to get this going.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Hey, anyone is welcome to take this forward as finding time out of office for anything is very hard right now.

Offline NoChance

Did this ever get off the ground?  GMK Split spacebars?

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
100% in on this if it ever gets off the ground.
keyboards.

Offline muten-roshi

i could also need some spacebars...

Offline jal

I'm still in as well.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
+1 still in

Offline menuhin

+1
In case I haven't posted yet.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline litster

Anyone has recommendation on which companies could do this?  SP, DMK, or some China company?

Offline Saiph

Anyone has recommendation on which companies could do this?  SP, DMK, or some China company?
Well SP doesn't make exactly cherry profile, they only have dcs. I'd think GMK is best

Offline litster

Has anyone recently done any "new mold" for non-standard shape, length, or size?  I would imagine that we would need to make new molds for the VE.A spacebars.  IIRC, it was very expensive to make a new mold with SP. 

Offline Saiph

Has anyone recently done any "new mold" for non-standard shape, length, or size?  I would imagine that we would need to make new molds for the VE.A spacebars.  IIRC, it was very expensive to make a new mold with SP.
The original idea wasn't to make actual spacebar molds. it was just to get blanks in those sizes, so basically the two shift keys except blank(2.25 and 2.75)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
The original idea wasn't to make actual spacebar molds. it was just to get blanks in those sizes, so basically the two shift keys except blank(2.25 and 2.75)

nah, we need a true R4 mold 2u and 2.75u. not sure what is needed for plank/other layouts

Offline litster

nah, we need a true R4 mold 2u and 2.75u. not sure what is needed for plank/other layouts

Getting front row blanks is only half way there.  I would like to see if we could go all the way and get new molds made for short spacebars that has a spacebar shape.  It could also be beneficial to other custom keyboard projects.

Offline Saiph

Re: [IC] Cherry Profile Spacebars for VE.A, Golbat-40%, Clueboard, Van44, etc
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 19:01:30 »

Profile will be the same, tooling for convex tops will be too much. From my experience, if you flip the keys, they're surprisingly comfortable to type on, specially if you are into flipped spacebars.

This was what MOZ said. That said, if someone wants to work on it it would be great.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
XDA has spacebar molds for all the sizes you'd ever need.. available right now. Just a heads up.
keyboards.

Offline Saiph

XDA has spacebar molds for all the sizes you'd ever need.. available right now. Just a heads up.
Yeah, but then the profile won't be the same :/

Offline litster

This? https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=84453.0