Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3525327 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #4950 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 10:51:39 »
And white diffused are 20mA.  They should be 20mA LEDs. 

Offline stancato9

« Reply #4951 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 10:53:08 »
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline stancato9

« Reply #4952 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 11:30:56 »
How many ohms are the resistors already on the Poker 2 pcb?

Will they support 20mA and 30mA LEDs?
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 November 2013, 11:38:42 by stancato9 »
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4953 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 11:41:29 »

Will they support 20mA and 30mA LEDs?
I will have to check, but I think they are 800-1000 ohms or so.

They will be compatible with 20 mA LEDs as they will limit the current through the LED to 5 mA at the very most. (the value is likely much less.)

Edit: hmm, WFD's picture (link below) shows either 561 or 195 on the top of the resistor. SMD resistors use a specific code for the value
http://i.imgur.com/XuFi8So.jpg

561 would mean 56*10^1 ohms (560 Ohms)and 195 would mean 19*10^5 ohms (1.9 MegaOhms)

So it looks like they are 560 Ohms.

That means a
3.2Vf LED will flow about 3.5 mA (200 mA total)
1.6Vf LED will flow about 6.5 mA (400 mA total)

I would recommend higher Vf LEDs (green, white, blue), though if the controller only needs 100 mA to run (entirely possible) then red/orange may work.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 November 2013, 11:50:35 by dorkvader »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4954 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 11:42:14 »
Does anyone know if the keyboard rooftops for the ten keyless keyboards fit the CoolerMaster keyboards? Elitekeyboards sells them and i was thinking of picking one up. Thanks.  :D

Ok I spent a bit of time looking at this but I can't actually figure out what EK is trying to tell me. So I'll leave you some info and hopefully you can figure it out.

- EK Roof Dimensions
- QFR dimensions under "Specifications"
- Bezel size on the QFR from my own measurements: 4 mm thick above function row, 6mm thick below modifier row, 2 mm thick on the edges.

What type of resistors are needed for LEDs with:
Forward Voltage (V) : 3.0 ~ 3.2

Assuming 30mA, a 68 Ohm resistor.  If it's 20mA, 120 Ohm.  USB is 5v, so that's the voltage you're dropping down from.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.  Those are the numbers I've worked off of when doing my own non-keyboard LED stuff, so I just calculated it on the voltage USB provides.

Your math seems fine. nubbinator is just using Ohm's law for those who don't know.

From WFD's Poker 2 review

The resistors are on the left side next to the reddish SMDs. They say "195" on them so the resistance is 1.9 Ohms. This site explains how to rest the 3 digit resistance code on the surface mount resistors.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #4955 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 11:48:17 »
Thanks for all the info guys but, I am still extremely confused I am seeing a ton of different numbers here.

Could I use 30mA LEDs for the mods and 20mA LEDs for the rest of the keys on a poker 2 with the default resistors?
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #4956 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 11:48:19 »
The resistors are on the left side next to the reddish SMDs. They say "195" on them so the resistance is 1.9 Ohms. This site explains how to rest the 3 digit resistance code on the surface mount resistors.

are you sure they don't say 561 for a resistance of 560 ohms, your 195 is a resistance of 1.9 MEGAohms which seems a bit much.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4957 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 11:51:22 »

are you sure they don't say 561 for a resistance of 560 ohms, your 195 is a resistance of 1.9 MEGAohms which seems a bit much.

Yeah 560 Ohms makes much more sense. I'm definitely a *mechanical* engineer lol.

Thanks for all the info guys but, I am still extremely confused I am seeing a ton of different numbers here.

Could I use 30mA LEDs for the mods and 20mA LEDs for the rest of the keys on a poker 2 with the default resistors?

Short answer is I think so. Long answer is, you won't be drawing that much amperage through the LEDs anyways. Probably draw 5mA and peak at 7mA tops. Circuit draws 5V, you can use the resistance Kmiller8 corrected me with and the 5V voltage to figure out how much amperage you'll get and verify my answer with Ohm's law.

Kmiller8 just gave me a crash course in circuits 101 and I believe he's studying that in school.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 November 2013, 12:05:34 by CPTBadAss »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #4958 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 11:52:13 »
I'm resposting part of my edit here

That means a

I would recommend higher Vf LEDs (green, white, blue), though if the controller only needs 100 mA to run (entirely possible) then red/orange may work.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #4959 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 11:56:06 »

That means a

Okay so will both of these work?

White: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-2x3x4mm-Rectangle-White-Water-Clear-LED-Light-Leds-/320999089508?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Pink: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-2x3x4mm-Pink-Water-Clear-LED-Lamp-With-12V-Free-Resistors-234P-td-/390631308376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af370bc58

Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4960 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 11:56:50 »

That means a

Okay so will both of these work?

White: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-2x3x4mm-Rectangle-White-Water-Clear-LED-Light-Leds-/320999089508?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Pink: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-2x3x4mm-Pink-Water-Clear-LED-Lamp-With-12V-Free-Resistors-234P-td-/390631308376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af370bc58

Yes, I used the pink LEDs myself.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #4961 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 12:00:26 »
Awesome. Thanks a lot guys. Sorry for all the question I would just rather be safe. I ordered both of those so hopefully they will be fine with my Poker 2.

Just one more quick question. Can you add LEDs to a QFR assuming you buy your own resistors? Or is it just not possible.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4962 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 12:01:45 »
Can you add LEDs to a QFR assuming you buy your own resistors? Or is it just not possible.

I don't think so. The PCB doesn't have the holes or traces for the LEDs. I'm not sure if you could rig it though though.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #4963 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 12:07:51 »
Can you add LEDs to a QFR assuming you buy your own resistors? Or is it just not possible.

I don't think so. The PCB doesn't have the holes or traces for the LEDs. I'm not sure if you could rig it though though.

Yeah I didn't think the pcb supported it. Thanks for everything.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #4964 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 12:15:18 »
How much different are mx blacks w/ 59g or 62g springs than stock mx blacks? I tried mx blacks a long time ago and didn't really like them.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4965 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 12:16:11 »
How much different are mx blacks w/ 59g or 62g springs than stock mx blacks? I tried mx blacks a long time ago and didn't really like them.

62g blacks are essentially MX reds.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #4966 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 12:17:48 »
Thanks Comrade, is there anything different internally in the black vs. the reds or is it pretty much just the spring?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4967 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 12:18:12 »

You can find my personal thoughts on spring swaps here. I think that 59g would be too light for me.

Thanks Comrade, is there anything different internally in the black vs. the reds or is it pretty much just the spring?

You're correct, it's the spring that's different.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #4968 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 12:20:50 »

You can find my personal thoughts on spring swaps here. I think that 59g would be too light for me.

You're correct, it's the spring that's different.

wow, nice write-up! Thanks!

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #4969 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 17:21:30 »
Where do you get gold springs from?  :-[

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #4970 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 17:36:43 »
Where do you get gold springs from?  :-[

I think they came form OTD a while ago. I don't know any vendors that stock any.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #4971 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 21:11:44 »
Do you need a special pcb for capacitive switches like the model F switches or can you build a regular matrix (or let's say lowpoly method) and use a modern controller with them?
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4972 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 21:30:43 »
Do you need a special pcb for capacitive switches like the model F switches or can you build a regular matrix (or let's say lowpoly method) and use a modern controller with them?

To my knowledge you do need a special plate.  Plus they are not individual switch modules.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4973 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 21:56:44 »

There's also not a controller that works on Model Fs at the moment. If you want to get some insight into how modding a Model F might be like, check out Wcass' XTant project.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #4974 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 23:40:25 »
Capacitive controllers are odd things. I think hasu has a replacement hhkb controller? Also, DFJ had posted some details on the current F controller on GH a while ago. Finally, xwhatsit's Beam spring controller is capacitive.

For all these cases, a normal cherry / alps pcb won't work.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #4975 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 09:55:38 »
I just discovered this, maybe you'd want to add it to the OP: http://www.mrinterface.com/

Some great sims to play with

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4976 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 11:00:37 »
Well I have decided to at least desolder the switches in my Das3.  Going to lube the switches with some lube I got from mkawa.  So I am typing this on the keyboard I bought as a gift.  Just for the record the solder they used in that board is HELL on your tips.  It is a pain to desolder as well.  I had to add solder to every pad just so my radio shack Solda-a-pult look a like would pick it up.  Now for my question.  I bought a Filco Majestouch-2 for my wife and it has blacks but she wanted reds.  I have a set of springs out of browns I could swap in there plus I would then have black springs for either panda clears or ghetto greens.  Is the solder in the Filco just as bad to work with as what is in my Das?  I know the pads on the Filco are through hole similar to the Phantom since both are dual layer PCBs and the Das in only a single layer.

Plus outside the dual layer holes is there anything else I need to pay attention to when either desoldering or cracking open the Filco?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline JayG30

« Reply #4977 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 12:36:21 »
On the Poker II, I think I read a post somewhere that said you can press "FN+spacebar" to lock the FN layer so that the arrow keys are accessible without having to hold the FN key down. Is this true?

Thanks.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #4978 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 12:42:07 »
On the Poker II, I think I read a post somewhere that said you can press "FN+spacebar" to lock the FN layer so that the arrow keys are accessible without having to hold the FN key down. Is this true?

Thanks.

Sounds about right, the Pure has the same function.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4979 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 12:47:32 »
Is the solder in the Filco just as bad to work with as what is in my Das?  I know the pads on the Filco are through hole similar to the Phantom since both are dual layer PCBs and the Das in only a single layer.

Plus outside the dual layer holes is there anything else I need to pay attention to when either desoldering or cracking open the Filco?

I don't know that much about the DAS keyboard so I can't comment on that but Photoelectric has talked about some of her experience here. The Filco also has an integral cable, which is different from many other keyboards that have a detachable cable. That's all I got though. Hopefully someone else can comment too :D.

Thanks.

The manual can be found here. Looks like if you hit FN+Spacebar, it changes the WASD cluster to arrows. So I would say you're correct.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2013, 12:50:33 by CPTBadAss »

Offline JayG30

« Reply #4980 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 13:29:28 »
The manual can be found here. Looks like if you hit FN+Spacebar, it changes the WASD cluster to arrows. So I would say you're correct.

Every time I try to download and open the manual Adobe Reader complains that it "could not open because it is either not a supported file type or because the file is damaged". No idea why this is happening, but that is why I asked.

Also, is the Poker II still not available in the backlit version yet? Don't see it available anywhere. Have to resort to desoldering and soldering in LED's.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4981 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 13:33:28 »

1) Every time I try to download and open the manual Adobe Reader complains that it "could not open because it is either not a supported file type or because the file is damaged". No idea why this is happening, but that is why I asked.

2) Also, is the Poker II still not available in the backlit version yet? Don't see it available anywhere. Have to resort to desoldering and soldering in LED's.

1) Does this help?

2) Not that I've seen.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #4982 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 13:35:00 »
I just discovered this, maybe you'd want to add it to the OP: http://www.mrinterface.com/

Quoting myself, just in case this got lost.

Offline JayG30

« Reply #4983 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 13:41:41 »
1) Does this help?
2) Not that I've seen.

Yes, very helpful, I think I can live with that as a substitute for arrow keys.
Still not sure how I feel about backlit, kinda wish I could get one already with the LED's.
Thanks!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4984 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 13:45:43 »

What question does this fulfill?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #4985 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 13:50:32 »
"How do different switches sound?"

"Do the same switches sound different on different keyboards?"

"Does the keycap material and construction make a difference to how a keyboard sounds?"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4986 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 14:15:56 »

What question does this fulfill?

"How do different switches sound?"

"Do the same switches sound different on different keyboards?"

"Does the keycap material and construction make a difference to how a keyboard sounds?"

Mk, does this look ok to you?.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #4987 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 14:19:08 »
Looks excellent! Those sims are dope, how a keyboard sounds is very important to me and thus the affinity to it.

Thanks Cap'n!

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #4988 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 01:22:09 »
where can i get function row/caps lock keycap that have LED-Window?
edit: cherry profile

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #4989 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 02:48:54 »
where can i get function row/caps lock keycap that have LED-Window?
edit: cherry profile

Classifieds, Ivan also has a GB running right now which includes some, so maybe somebody doesn't need these and would sell them to you.

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #4990 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 13:21:45 »
My GMK Dolch set just arrived today from Originative, and everything looks great (except that I'm missing an up arrow, but am following up with sherry on that).   Only question I have is: does anyone know why the spacebar it came with gives a really terribly mushy/crunchy sound when I bottom out with it, like the stabilizer is crunching against something?

I should mention, I'm using the set on my Filco.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 November 2013, 13:28:06 by goobus »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #4991 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 13:24:41 »
My GMK Dolch set just arrived today from Originative, and everything looks great (except that I'm missing an up arrow, but am following up with sherry on that).   Only question I have is: does anyone know why the spacebar it came with gives a really terribly mushy/crunchy sound when I bottom out with it, like the stabilizer is crunching against something?
What keyboard are you using? :D
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #4992 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 13:28:28 »
Haha just edited as you replied :P

Also I've tried changing the stabilizer wire, the inserts, and everything.  Even other spacebars don't give me this problem!
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 November 2013, 13:30:07 by goobus »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #4993 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 13:31:02 »
 :)) You most likely have the white stem inserts the wrong way round. The longer side should face the F-row

edit: darn, you edited again :)) it's quite strange that it's 'crunching'... you could try lubricating the wires with grease, but i'm not sure it'd help..
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #4994 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 16:28:01 »
I think if you had the inserts in upside down it would be stuck in the down position. I've done that a lot on mine.

I would think it's just a fitment issue with the costar stabilizers. If you don't mind the warranty, take the case off and inspect it closely from the side as you press the spacebar down. Then lube it just to make sure.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4995 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 20:11:46 »
what's the stiffest readily available spring? clears?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4996 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 20:15:47 »

Easily available? Black or Korean weight springs from Sherry in 67g or 80g

Clears can take some finding. You can also grab 80g springs from Sherry which should work great.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #4997 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 20:16:30 »
Does anybody know if the topre caps on EK for red ESC and WASD are of good quality? I'm considering getting some, but I don't want cheap ABS caps :P
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #4998 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 20:18:12 »

Clears can take some finding. You can also grab 80g springs from Sherry which should work great.

According to deskauthority, greens have a heavier actuation force than blacks. Is this just because greens are tactile? Or do they use a different spring?
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4999 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 20:21:56 »

already got clear springs thanks to ekw, and got offered some from mk and WFD :D

just wanted to know which is the heaviest and easiest to get. ill ask sherry for a 80g sample
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.