Author Topic: GB reformation?  (Read 3338 times)

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
GB reformation?
« on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 19:03:25 »
So there have been a lot of "issues" lately on Geekhack with regards to Group Buys and I am well aware of the fact these are independent from the site but I think something still could be done to help out. Anyway my thought is not the regular "plus1" system but more a "Group Buy Count" Similar to the post count system, but it is community moderated (No Mod/website blame)

// This count would be on the person's profile so as not to clutter the side-bar anymore

Anyway after a successful GB is complete the host has the option to post a poll on their thread in which people vote if they are happy with the outcome or not. Above a certain percent their GB count increases by 1 if it is below they lose a point.

There should also be a link to the GB thread so people can evaluate the running.

My main reason behind this is new members being afraid to get involved because of what they may have read about things going tits up.

The feedback system gives piece of mind to some GB's involving large amounts of money and encourages people to run smaller practise GB's before they take on huge responsibilitys they cannot cope with

Anyway I would like to see your input please, improvements welcomed.

Cheers.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: GB reformation?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 20:09:46 »
It would be nice if something could be done!

Offline UniClown

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 20:38:18 »
What about past GB's? Are we really going to poll every person from ones in the past? I don't think that is possible for the most part. Just something to consider.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 20:38:34 »
I think that it's a good idea. I also think that some "rules" should be clarified. I just saw a discussion between Feng and Moose, and basically Moose says that Feng does profit out of his GB, and Feng answer that for him it's normal since there is work involved. Truth is, I am ok with the fact that someone does profit out of a group buy since it involves a lot of job that I would prefer not do. But I also think that it should be mentioned clearly, since it would then prevent any debate on it. I don't even think that the amount of profit should be mentioned (could be optional), but at least it should be clear.

For me, a group buy does not mean that no one does profit out of it. I participated in a few group buys on massdrop, and I have been very happy out of it even if they are a company making money. As long as the main purpose of the group buy is to provide something at a significantly better price for everyone and that the group buy is run properly, that's good for me.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 21:37:52 »
Is this topic because of the acrylic GB that is going down hill?

I'm getting screwed, too!

Sucks!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 21:44:56 »
Should it be handled differently if a group buy is ran buy a vendor or just a member?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 21:53:56 »
Not that many people run multiple GBs, at least not in any way consecutively. Although a good idea, it might be limited.

When I joined, it took me a while to join my first GB (Toxic, I think). That one is still going :)) but by then I had a reasonable idea who was who in the GB arena.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 08:25:02 »
Not that many people run multiple GBs, at least not in any way consecutively. Although a good idea, it might be limited.

MOZ?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 08:46:24 »

MOZ?

Someone call?

I'm running multiple ICs. Although the timing on them might overlap  a bit once they get into GB phase.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 09:31:41 »
To me, my understanding was Group Buys were our way of obtaining the cheapest price possible, and that the people who decided to run them were of the same feeling and wanted to help the community out. When I talked with the people about running a GB for the Spongebob caps, and they offered me to make some profit, I didn't want it. I wanted the community to get the cheapest price, and I was willing to offer my time and effort to do that.

Now, I know some GBs aren't exactly small, and they take a lot of work, but this isn't a job either. It's something you wanted to do. And I know people's arguments are that they don't make a lot of money from it, but it's still there.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 09:36:28 »
To me, my understanding was Group Buys were our way of obtaining the cheapest price possible, and that the people who decided to run them were of the same feeling and wanted to help the community out. When I talked with the people about running a GB for the Spongebob caps, and they offered me to make some profit, I didn't want it. I wanted the community to get the cheapest price, and I was willing to offer my time and effort to do that.

Now, I know some GBs aren't exactly small, and they take a lot of work, but this isn't a job either. It's something you wanted to do. And I know people's arguments are that they don't make a lot of money from it, but it's still there.

Your point is legit, but at the same time if someone is only willing to make a GB if there is some profit that can be made and no one else wants to organize this group buy and the organizer is explicit about the fact that he's making some money out of it, I don't see any problem with it. Maybe we could add a status or special category to these GB, but I think that mentioning it clearly in the GB description is enough.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 15:17:13 »
MOZ has yet to prove himself in the GB arena.  He has not gotten off to a good start with his earlier episode, for which he has apologised, but for me it has left a seed of doubt.

And about what moose said, a group buy is basically a group of people buying something in bulk to get a cheaper price.  There is generally not much, if any, profit making, usually only to cover the GBer's time or out of pocket expenses.

Where there is some suspicion of greater profit, the community usually starts a witch hunt with a few nasty threads and word gets around.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 15:23:15 »
MOZ has yet to prove himself in the GB arena.  He has not gotten off to a good start with his earlier episode, for which he has apologised, but for me it has left a seed of doubt.

And about what moose said, a group buy is basically a group of people buying something in bulk to get a cheaper price.  There is generally not much, if any, profit making, usually only to cover the GBer's time or out of pocket expenses.

Where there is some suspicion of greater profit, the community usually starts a witch hunt with a few nasty threads and word gets around.

Yes sir, I know I embarrassed myself greatly, and this is not just about you but anyone would have doubts, myself included if I were on the other side.

And I agree about the GB definition from moose. It is pretty easy for anyone to sell anything here on GH, I don't see why members would list sellinng stuff for profit as group buy and if they do, why not mention it.

As for my own GB, I know I most likely will be able to handle everything on my end, however I am only worried about the package reaching the end-user safely and in time.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 15:26:27 »
Most GB's I'm pretty sure the organizer adds a small fee to each order to pay for sets for himself/herself or any other things.  I believe tj did this for klaxon but he ended up spending any money he earned from the GB on postage and ink (correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't have a problem with it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:08:45 »

Yes sir, I know I embarrassed myself greatly, and this is not just about you but anyone would have doubts, myself included if I were on the other side.

And I agree about the GB definition from moose. It is pretty easy for anyone to sell anything here on GH, I don't see why members would list sellinng stuff for profit as group buy and if they do, why not mention it.

As for my own GB, I know I most likely will be able to handle everything on my end, however I am only worried about the package reaching the end-user safely and in time.

You also might find yourself in an awkward situation of having stuff made in US or EU, shipped to India, then shipped back out to US and EU.  I don't know what the Indian postal system is like in that regard.

This is probably the reason why no-one in Australia is likely to run a GB, at least not without a serious US or EU proxy, as postage costs would kill the idea before it got started, and there are not really enough Aussie members to warrant a local GB.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 17:32:07 »
Thus I am interested in doing GB only for stuff which can be produced locally in India, and is thus generally something that has not been done or done as cheaply.

If ever I do a GB for something made in the US or from an American vendor, it would involve a partner doing all the sorting-sending and me handling the online.