Author Topic: GH60 Group Buy (Salvage Mode: Enabled - Update in OP)  (Read 1624539 times)

Offline T0ken

Re: GH60 Group Buy (INVOICING)
« Reply #2050 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 10:25:45 »
^ Some traces rerouted, standoff holes and USB shifted, no more rotated switches, optional LEDs, expansion option. It's for the better.

In which case, when the new boards work, where will the files be released (since Komar has made this project Open Source Hardware)?

When it's done, there should be a link. Here is the latest, but this will be changed.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59077581/gerber-2013-05-05.zip

I hope it still fits in alis case  :eek:
i would hope they dont **** us over this bad :p

Of course not...although out of paranoia I made some quick measurements from the gerber files and compared to Ali's case - PCB is ~285mm x 94mm and the USB connector pad ~13mm from the edge - this will fit in Ali's case. If the dimensions and USB connector stay about the same then  it'll fit fine.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2051 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 11:15:31 »
Paid!

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #2052 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 20:33:56 »
Okay, i knowwwww you said no more order changes...

But... if possible, i would like to subtract assembly from my order. I don't want to change any parts or anything "crazy" like that, just a little light on funds and still not sure which layout i want to use on my universal plate, so i don't even know how you'd assemble it... unless of course all the plate-mount-able switches can be assembled, prior to the pcb-mount-required switches, allowing me to finish that part myself, once i decide which layout i want, and can find keys for.

I asked this pages ago, but i don't think anyone answered: is this a reasonable thing to attempt? Assembling all the plate-mount switches first, then adding the pcb-mount switches to the board After the plate and plate-switches are already mounted? Or is that a wicked-bad ultra-hassle thing? Is it just better to wait to mount the plate and plate-switches, until after the pcb-mount switches are mounted?

If it's not a big deal to add pcb-mounted switches in the "universal" holes, after the plate and plate-switches are already assembled, then maybe i don't need to change anything. But if it's a huge hassle to mount the pcb-mounted switches after the plate-mounted switches and plate, then i do. Or, i need to decide which layout i want, prior to assembly... which is what i hoped to avoid by going with the universal plate. :P

That's right, i'm noob, i just need to know what, if any, are my options here, and which way to proceed. Or, if there is but a single way forward, then i guess knowing that would work too. <.<

here's a tip: make changes before the group buy is in invoicing stage. don't make order changes after the fact.

Huh. That doesn't answer any of my questions!

I would like to assemble it myself, instead of having someone else do it, because my questions apparently cannot be answered, and so i cannot determine what assembly i am actually getting.

I am not asking to change which board version, which switches, or the amounts of anything i've ordered.

I am simply asking to not pay for assembly, as i initially thought i would like someone else to do for me, and instead, assemble it myself (as far as switches and plates go).

I don't know why that's a big deal. The only "change" is that it's one less thing for someone else to have to do, which i am willing to do myself.

Is that so wrong?

Since no one has answered my question yet, here it is again:

Would it be okay, or not okay, to have all the "normal" keys (switches) assembled (affixed to the board and plate), but then add the rest of the switches later (those which can be positioned differently than "standard," due to universal plate design)? Or is this a case of "you have to do it all at once or it's a huge hassle" ?

I feel these are valid questions. I attempted to ask this before invoicing began.

I am still asking.

I don't understand what would be the problem with asking to void the assembly fee (aka "change the order") and do that part myself, without changing anything else. I feel this is a reasonable request. Surely no one would be butt-hurt over being relieved from the paid obligation to assemble one more board?
Logitech G710+

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #2053 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 22:49:00 »
They said no more order changes. I believe they meant it.
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline 4LI4Z

« Reply #2054 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 12:08:54 »
Is it sure, that the design of the PCB remains the way that it fits in imstos case?
BLING BLING GOLD SPRING

ErgoClear Filco MJT2 TKL || Apple EK II || Hall Effect Keypad || Cherry G81 HAD || IBM M SSK

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #2055 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 12:51:08 »
Is it sure, that the design of the PCB remains the way that it fits in imstos case?
Yeah, I couldn't see them changing that. It would put out every other case as well.
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline 4LI4Z

« Reply #2056 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 13:26:27 »
Thought that already but wanted to make it sure.
BLING BLING GOLD SPRING

ErgoClear Filco MJT2 TKL || Apple EK II || Hall Effect Keypad || Cherry G81 HAD || IBM M SSK

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #2057 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 13:37:22 »
If there are any leftovers or someone that does not want theirs I will probably start looking for one since the new Imsto case is so damn sexy.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #2058 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 14:03:30 »
More

I would like to assemble it myself, instead of having someone else do it, because my questions apparently cannot be answered, and so i cannot determine what assembly i am actually getting.

I am not asking to change which board version, which switches, or the amounts of anything i've ordered.

I am simply asking to not pay for assembly, as i initially thought i would like someone else to do for me, and instead, assemble it myself (as far as switches and plates go).

I don't know why that's a big deal. The only "change" is that it's one less thing for someone else to have to do, which i am willing to do myself.

Is that so wrong?

Would it be okay, or not okay, to have all the "normal" keys (switches) assembled (affixed to the board and plate), but then add the rest of the switches later (those which can be positioned differently than "standard," due to universal plate design)? Or is this a case of "you have to do it all at once or it's a huge hassle" ?

I feel these are valid questions. I attempted to ask this before invoicing began.

I am still asking.

I don't understand what would be the problem with asking to void the assembly fee (aka "change the order") and do that part myself, without changing anything else. I feel this is a reasonable request. Surely no one would be butt-hurt over being relieved from the paid obligation to assemble one more board?

You may think it's just one change from one order, we should just do it, no big deal. But consider this: there are a couple hundred orders, and there are constant requests for order changes. Now if everyone reasoned it like this, it's pretty tiresome to constantly make changes for every one of these requests. Multiple spreadsheets needs update, and old invoice canceled to type out another one for you. When orders are closed, there were not suppose to be anymore changes. But we've been pretty lenient with allowing changes, even after invoices were already sent out. No other GB does this, and especially one on this magnitude. I had to send to tjcaustin a whole list of people that wanted changes and needed to be reinvoiced, and that's already done with.

If you need another invoice sent, you'll have to bug tjcaustin to see if he's up for it. Invoicing is out of my and jdcarpe's control.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2059 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 14:30:03 »
More

Is that so wrong?

I am still asking.

You may think it's just one change from one order, we should just do it, no big deal. But consider this: there are a couple hundred orders, and there are constant requests for order changes. Now if everyone reasoned it like this, it's pretty tiresome to constantly make changes for every one of these requests. Multiple spreadsheets needs update, and old invoice canceled to type out another one for you. When orders are closed, there were not suppose to be anymore changes. But we've been pretty lenient with allowing changes, even after invoices were already sent out. No other GB does this, and especially one on this magnitude. I had to send to tjcaustin a whole list of people that wanted changes and needed to be reinvoiced, and that's already done with.

If you need another invoice sent, you'll have to bug tjcaustin to see if he's up for it. Invoicing is out of my and jdcarpe's control.

Agreed. We were very lenient with changes for quite a long time. Everything is now locked in. If TJ wants to send you a new invoice, I have zero problem with him doing it in this one case, but if he doesn't want to, please don't bug him about it, and just accept that it is the way it is.

As to the other part of your question, it would be impossible to assemble the board with a universal plate, without locking in the layout options before soldering all the switches in. Simply because it would not be possible to go back and add the Cherry PCB mount stabilizers for the modifiers once the plate is mounted and covering the PCB.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline ferociousfingerings

Re: GH60 Group Buy (CLOSED)
« Reply #2060 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 17:47:50 »
More

Is that so wrong?

I am still asking.

Thank you for your response (and leniency).

More

Is that so wrong?

I am still asking.

Agreed. We were very lenient with changes for quite a long time. Everything is now locked in. If TJ wants to send you a new invoice, I have zero problem with him doing it in this one case, but if he doesn't want to, please don't bug him about it, and just accept that it is the way it is.

As to the other part of your question, it would be impossible to assemble the board with a universal plate, without locking in the layout options before soldering all the switches in. Simply because it would not be possible to go back and add the Cherry PCB mount stabilizers for the modifiers once the plate is mounted and covering the PCB.
Thank you also.

I do appreciate what you guys are doing for all of us.

Your clarification is exactly what i was looking for, when i asked a month ago.

I certainly don't want to be billed for something that is impossible, and had i known this a month ago, i would have simply changed the assembly part of my order, then. I just did not know that it would be Impossible to install the stabilizers with the plate and other switches already installed. I just didn't know, and that's why i asked. I wanted clarification on a particular thing, so i could make the right decision. I thought i had seen this issue mentioned once, somewhere in the flood of discussion, but i was not able to locate those particular comments.

I'm certainly not trying to be "difficult" or cause problems. The smoother this goes and the sooner we all get our parts, the better!

May 7th is when i asked:
Question re: assembly:

If someone orders a universal plate (and switches and assembly fee), but isn't yet sure which optional config to use (standard alphanumeric placement notwithstanding)...

What happens? Partial assembly, sans mods?

Would adding pcb-mounted switches in the 'universal' holes (requirement of universal plate), after the rest of the switches have been plate mounted, be problematic? (adding pcb-mounted switches/stabs to an already mostly plate-mounted board?)

When i realized this question was even needed, i thought "maybe i should just assemble it myself... that way i won't have to make some special arrangement or lock myself into a layout, only to change my mind later, or be unable to source non-standard caps..." or something to that effect.

But the next thing i know, changes-deadline passes and invoices get sent out, and i'm still wondering whether i need to change something. Apparently i did need to change something. And so now, the thing i wanted to avoid is occurring. Either i have to make a special arrangement, or i have to be locked into a layout.

If i didn't think this board was such a great idea, and hadn't followed it's development for the majority of a year, i'd probably be like "**** this." That's not meant to upset anyone, i'm just sayin'. I never meant to cause extra hassle. I never intended to be the one who needs special treatment or exceptions made. I just wanted a cool programmable mini-board, and here it is. So here i am.

You guys rock for doing this (and probably for other reasons too).

Assuming i'm "stuck with" my impossible assembly order, how long might i have, to choose a layout and communicate it? How many stabilizers are used in the "max keys" layout?
Logitech G710+

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #2061 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 19:09:39 »
Assuming i'm "stuck with" my impossible assembly order, how long might i have, to choose a layout and communicate it? How many stabilizers are used in the "max keys" layout?

when you ordered you choose a stabilizer type.
you should get the unused stabilizers from the stabilizer kit you ordered with the keyboard.
that way you can desolder and change the layout/plate whenever you want. If you choose pcb stabilizers you can just ditch the plate and use only the pcb.
You can also at a later time use one of the many plates that comes with some of aluminum cases.

you are never stuck. that is why we all bought the gh60. :)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2062 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 19:58:43 »
btw I get paid late tonight/early tomorrow and will be paying the invoice then. sorry for the delay.
Paid.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 June 2013, 01:14:58 by domoaligato »

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2063 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 17:52:31 »
Looking for keys for your upcoming gh60?

[GB] DSA Dolch ISO + Expansions/RGBY/Blank Sets
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44912

If you buy a base blank tenkeyless set + blank alternate modifers kit or RGBY kit you will be all set for any layout!

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #2064 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 04:39:26 »

If you buy a base blank tenkeyless set + blank alternate modifers kit or RGBY kit you will be all set for any layout!

This would be even cooler if there was a 61-key option;)
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline mauri

« Reply #2065 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 05:02:59 »
What some people here do not realize is that blank sets are dime a dozen however, finding printed ÅÄÖÜ is almost impossible, I'm not that keen on blank nor would I accept half blank - half printed set.
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #2066 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 05:07:14 »
I would actually like some blank DSAs, but if I could just buy 61 for gh60, not more. Most sets are either 104 or 87 keys, then those keys lay around useless...
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline vorn

« Reply #2067 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 05:17:16 »
I would actually like some blank DSAs, but if I could just buy 61 for gh60, not more. Most sets are either 104 or 87 keys, then those keys lay around useless...

I'm all over this DSA DOLCH set with the ISO and RGB add-ons, but would definitely be in for a blank set of PBT DSA keys!

Whenever I see someone supporting ISO I always feel the need to jump on it since it's not always offered in GB's.

Offline OddOne

« Reply #2068 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 21:04:37 »
So, I was priding myself on sticking to my guns on layout for my GH60, but now I'm thinking I would like an ANSI/ISO hybrid. So, if anyone has a Universal Iso plate available, I'd happily buy it from you!
CM Quickfire Rapid   |   Rosewill RK-9000BR  |  CM Quickfire Rapid  |

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2069 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 22:29:26 »

This would be even cooler if there was a 61-key option;)
sorry but I had to stick to the tenkeyless kit :(

I'm all over this DSA DOLCH set with the ISO and RGB add-ons, but would definitely be in for a blank set of PBT DSA keys!

Whenever I see someone supporting ISO I always feel the need to jump on it since it's not always offered in GB's.

I wanted to do PBT but it wouldn't match the primary dolch groupbuy and would be off color.
SP's ABS and PBT Colorways are very different

Offline thoere

« Reply #2070 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 09:44:08 »
Sorry for the major delay, but just paid! I'm so happy. Can't wait to assemble these boards.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #2071 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 10:54:23 »
paid!
thanks.
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline Qipz

« Reply #2072 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 14:24:30 »
Just wondering, is this GB closed or is it still possible to order?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2073 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 14:25:15 »

It's closed.

Offline Qipz

« Reply #2074 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 14:25:43 »
Thanks for the fast reply

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #2075 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 14:26:02 »

Ordering is over. You can probably get one from the classifieds, after everyone receives theirs. I expect quite a few people either bought too many or will change their mind.

Offline Qipz

« Reply #2076 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 13:49:33 »
Just wondering, will there be another GH60 group buy in the future? I'd hope so because I like the idea.
Also, is there a keypad that fits with the GH60?
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 June 2013, 13:52:14 by Qipz »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #2077 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 13:51:47 »
Just wondering, will there be another GH60 group buy in the future? I'd hope so because I like the idea.
Maybe in a year or two. If you want one you should just keep an eye on the classifieds. I'm sure there will be quite a few for sale on there soon.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Qipz

« Reply #2078 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 13:53:03 »
Maybe in a year or two. If you want one you should just keep an eye on the classifieds. I'm sure there will be quite a few for sale on there soon.
Hmm I will keep an eye there, thanks.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #2079 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 14:08:15 »
Got 55 people left to pay and a week for them to do it in.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #2080 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 14:42:00 »

Wow, that many!?!?!

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #2081 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 14:43:55 »

Wow, that many!?!?!

10% drop out seems to be the norm for GB. Some times less, some times more, but the average seems to be around 10%
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #2082 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 15:05:46 »
I'm waiting for payday this week, so hopefully many of that 55 are in a similar position.
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline oluf

• formerly olaph
« Reply #2083 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 15:06:07 »
Also, is there a keypad that fits with the GH60?

You may also be interested in..

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38847.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43450.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38963.0

Offline Qipz

« Reply #2084 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 16:54:29 »
Are those dropouts ones that have been ordered already? if so, could I swoop in when they dont pay if there is one that fits my likings?

Offline jabar

« Reply #2085 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 20:20:24 »
I'm most likely out, can't justify the expense right now.

GH60 full design plate + some switches
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2086 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 20:22:21 »
dont enter a GB without the money set aside for invoicing people!!!
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #2087 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 22:15:47 »
I don't know if this is answered, sorry in advance. Can I order in place of the ones who canceled? Though I can't imagine somebody to be the same order as mine :)
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline jalthi

« Reply #2088 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 22:27:18 »
Is there any possibility of picking up someone's order who ordered but doesn't pay?

Offline affect656

« Reply #2089 on: Sun, 23 June 2013, 22:31:45 »
Might be interested in picking up an extra pcb + plate, I have 3 cases and only bought 2 pcb/plates.
I like linear.

Offline nil

« Reply #2090 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 07:41:28 »
Same question as the last few folks.
Keyboard: On the perpetual, holy grail quest for my own GH60.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #2091 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 08:28:23 »
To anyone interested in picking up an unpaid order...

This is probably going to happen, once the deadline for payments closes. Since we aren't making any more order changes, orders likely will be listed by contents and will show an invoice price. First come, first served, and expect to pay on-the-spot. The time frame for this will be very short, as in a couple of days max.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Qipz

« Reply #2092 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 08:46:10 »
That means I'll have to keep my eyes on this thread very closely!

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #2093 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 13:25:46 »
Yeah! hopefully there are some universal iso plates there :)
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline madderoftime

« Reply #2094 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 13:49:18 »
Praying for a chance to make it into this. I'll check a couple times a day and can pay on the spot. Interested in the whole thing of course but if I could at least get the plate and PCB that would be a huge win for me. Obviously I will build myself. :)
GH60 Nevermore

Offline oluf

• formerly olaph
« Reply #2095 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 13:54:02 »
Praying for a chance to make it into this. I'll check a couple times a day and can pay on the spot. Interested in the whole thing of course but if I could at least get the plate and PCB that would be a huge win for me. Obviously I will build myself. :)

You may want to enable notifications for this thread for the sake of your refresh button! =)

Offline madderoftime

« Reply #2096 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 13:57:34 »

You may want to enable notifications for this thread for the sake of your refresh button! =)

Hence the fast reply  ;D
GH60 Nevermore

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #2097 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 15:34:33 »
Well, there are still 6 days from now until the payment deadline, so F5-ing now would seem a bit premature. :)

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2098 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 15:36:05 »
Well, there are still 6 days from now until the payment deadline, so F5-ing now would seem a bit premature. :)

But won't it boost the forum page views!! F5 FTW!! ;)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #2099 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 15:38:53 »

But won't it boost the forum page views!! F5 FTW!! ;)
Ray's new spam tactic : Spam views.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710