Author Topic: [IC] KAT Miami  (Read 19956 times)

Offline NovaRMK

[IC] KAT Miami
« on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 11:53:32 »

WELCOME TO MIAMI!
A keycap set inspired by that one show all the 80s kids watched.

Before I continue, I'd like to address a few things first:

-As many of you know, no, this is not my original design. This set is based on the GMK Miami and GMK Miami Nights colorways. I decided to run this set after I and another designer, KucherenkoZZZ were both told on separate occasions by Originative Co and GMK that we would not be able to re-run Miami Nights, even though Originative is not the original designer of the colorway. But I still wanted to bring it back into the community because these colorways haven't been ran in years. So, if GMK won't let you run it, then what do you do? You switch profiles/manufacturers.

-Why KAT? Well, because... why not? One of the main reasons I'm choosing to run with KAT is due to the way Keyreative does their MOQ system, where a certain amount of total keys has to be ordered rather than a certain amount of kits. This favors sets with a larger number of kits, which allows for wider compatability across different layouts and regions.

-The timeline. Yes, I know, it is notoriously difficult to communicate with Keyreative. I don't even have a vague timeline as of now, especially not without input from Vendors, but my goal is to have this set in groupbuy before the start of Q2 2022.

Groupbuy Date:
TBD

Vendors:
US - TBD
Canada - TBD
EU - TBD
UK - TBD
Oceania - TBD
China - TBD
SEA - TBD
Any other region vendors are welcome!

Pricing:
TBD

Colors:
GMK TU2
GMK MG1
GMK GE1
GMK CR

IC FORM
https://forms.gle/QyYoo2yJdD7F2piP7

(Renders have been compressed to comply with Imgur's size requirements, please excuse any quality issues)

D60-Lite by KBDFans

Ikki68 Aurora by Wuque Studio

Whimsy by prkns

Paragon by Artemis

Iron 165 by Smith + Rune

KBD8X by KBDFans

M60-A by Rama Works

Portico by The Key Company

[Disclaimer]
Please keep in mind that renders are only an approximation of what the final product will look like. Different lighting conditions will affect the way colors are displayed in the renders.

MIAMI
More

Miami - Latin Alphas

Miami - Katakana Alphas

Miami - Hangul Alphas

Miami - Colemak Alphas

Miami  - Text Mods

Miami - Icon Mods

Miami - 40s Mods

Miami - Ergo

Miami - Numpad

Miami - Novelties

Miami - Spacebars (forgot to add size labels, will add soon)

Miami - Iso

MIAMI NIGHTS
More

Miami Nights- Latin Alphas

Miami Nights - Katakana Alphas

Miami Nights - Hangul Alphas

Miami Nights - Colemak Alphas

Miami Nights - Text Mods

Miami Nights - Icon Mods

Miami Nights - 40s Mods

Miami Nights - Ergo

Miami Nights - Numpad

Miami Nights - Novelties

Miami Nights - Spacebars (forgot to add size labels, will add soon)

Miami Nights - Iso

COMING SOON

COMING SOON

SIGNATURE

Please consider adding the signature if you want to support this set. Thank you!

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114846.0][img height=120]https://i.imgur.com/lAoEawj.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 October 2021, 11:02:22 by NovaRMK »

Offline NovaRMK

Re: [IC] KAT Miami
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 11:55:03 »
Oct. 4
  • Initial IC Posted

Oct. 5
  • Added missing R2 ム in the Miami Nights Katakana kit
  • Fixed the ン key (was previously ソ) in both Katakana kits
  • Added R4 ー key in both Katakana kits
Small thank you to kidviddy for pointing out the errors in the Katakana kits

« Last Edit: Tue, 05 October 2021, 18:01:36 by NovaRMK »

Offline Laur

• Formerly dudeship
  • gmk retro runic
    • wip
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 12:01:12 »
interesting, nice spin on a classic.

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 12:16:57 »
Nice! Couple of comments about the katakana kitting:

• You have a ソ legend in place of the ン (on what would be the "Y" key). These two characters are very similar-looking, but the ン is more "horizontal" as opposed to ソ being "vertical". Both the Miami and Miami Nights version of the kit have the same issue.
  • The Miami version of the kit has an R2 ム, but the Miami Nights version does not. Please consider adding this key to the Miami Nights version as well.
  • Both Miami and Miami Nights versions are missing the R4 chōonpu key: "ー". This goes to the very right of the top row on a Japanese keyboard, taking the left half of a split backspace key.

Thanks for taking these issues into consideration!

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 13:14:25 »
  • You have a ソ legend in place of the ン (on what would be the "Y" key). These two characters are very similar-looking, but the ン is more "horizontal" as opposed to ソ being "vertical". Both the Miami and Miami Nights version of the kit have the same issue.
  • The Miami version of the kit has an R2 ム, but the Miami Nights version does not. Please consider adding this key to the Miami Nights version as well.

Thanks for the input! Not sure how I missed these, I'll be sure to fix it soon  :thumb:

Offline joshuarubin

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 13:23:24 »
Looks great. Anything with keyreative makes me cringe (to be fair, so do gmk lead times) though. I'm still waiting on Atlantis, which was unilaterally switched to doubleshot. For the light set, I don't really know if regular dye sub or reverse would be needed, can't really tell which is the "light" and which is the "dark" color. For the dark set it seems like it would have to be either reverse dyesub or doubleshot.

Do you have a feel for which process you'd like to see for this set?

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 13:32:06 »
Looks great. Anything with keyreative makes me cringe (to be fair, so do gmk lead times) though. I'm still waiting on Atlantis, which was unilaterally switched to doubleshot. For the light set, I don't really know if regular dye sub or reverse would be needed, can't really tell which is the "light" and which is the "dark" color. For the dark set it seems like it would have to be either reverse dyesub or doubleshot.

Do you have a feel for which process you'd like to see for this set?

I think the deciding factor is going to come down to Keyreative and their timelines. I'd like the set to be doubleshot, but I totally agree that the condition Keyreative is in can be rather... unappealing. I'd also like to see the quality of the doubleshots before making a decision. It's likely that, as with most KAT/KAM sets, Miami take a while before it reaches groupbuy, so I'm hoping that Atlantis or Mizu will be finished before I have to make a decision.

tl;dr doubleshots are preferred, but it all comes down to Keyreative's timeline and their quality

Offline Hawkenfreude

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 13:39:43 »
I feel you completely on Keyreative double-shot. However, if you are going to run alt-language kits, it will likely be pretty expensive to create all new molds.

Unless you've been told otherwise, I imagine that their newness in the double-shot world means that they likely only have Latin molds, and maybe some icons (something I've actually been trying to find out for the last couple of months). Just something to keep in mind if you opt for double-shot instead of dye sub.

Offline Ella

• Why is it called an oven
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 13:40:56 »
nice looking set, but running with keyreative is just irresponsible

Offline KucherenkoZZZ

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 13:42:17 »
Insta buy if it was in cherry profile, maybe JTK for example, just for the sake of F you to Oco
GLWIC

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 13:43:08 »
missing text 1800 keys

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 13:44:25 »
I feel you completely on Keyreative double-shot. However, if you are going to run alt-language kits, it will likely be pretty expensive to create all new molds.

Unless you've been told otherwise, I imagine that their newness in the double-shot world means that they likely only have Latin molds, and maybe some icons (something I've actually been trying to find out for the last couple of months). Just something to keep in mind if you opt for double-shot instead of dye sub.

KAT Atlantis also had Hangul and Katakana alpha kits and they're running doubleshot, so I think on that front I should be in the clear. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else would need new molds. I think it's possible to get quotes for both Doubleshot and Dye-Sub, and if there's a significant price difference I'll likely just run dye-sub.

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 13:46:21 »
missing text 1800 keys
Didn't realize that, will add in the next update  :thumb:

Offline Synergist

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 13:59:57 »
Love KAT profile, love Miami Nights, 100% joining this GB.

Offline Hawkenfreude

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 14:01:30 »

KAT Atlantis also had Hangul and Katakana alpha kits and they're running doubleshot, so I think on that front I should be in the clear. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else would need new molds. I think it's possible to get quotes for both Doubleshot and Dye-Sub, and if there's a significant price difference I'll likely just run dye-sub.

Ah. I was unaware. Cannot keep track of which sets Keyreative switched. That's good to hear.

Offline Evasive

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 15:06:11 »
I'll definitely be in, GWIC!

Offline WillyWortel

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 17:04:27 »
Yezz finally a KAT Miami

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 18:38:14 »
Appreciate the 40's support. 

1 request for an additional key in the 40's kit is a 1.25 R2 CTRL/FN

Some of us don't run tab in that spot lol.   :))
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline question Mark

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 03:22:29 »
I love Miami and Miami Nights, but I'll never join another Keyreative GB again...There are so many other keycap manufacturers, so I don't know why you would voluntarily take the risk with them.

Nonetheless I like to be proven wrong and wish you all the best for the IC and GB!

Offline Krastoff

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 03:48:11 »
I'm in because I've been eyeing Miami Nights for years. I don't mind waiting to see if Keyreative steps up their game and finds success with their new machines, but if they disappoint further (hope not because KAT looks great), I'll be happy too if this GB switches to another manufacturer.

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 09:12:15 »
I'm in because I've been eyeing Miami Nights for years. I don't mind waiting to see if Keyreative steps up their game and finds success with their new machines, but if they disappoint further (hope not because KAT looks great), I'll be happy too if this GB switches to another manufacturer.

Yes, I'm really hoping that Keyreative is able to pull themselves together. It is entirely possible that in the event that Keyreative fails to reduce their timelines, I'll probably just switch manus/profiles.

Offline HairyBob

• but my name isn't Robert
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 09:48:31 »
V nice, time to replace my knockoff miami keys

Offline nordhelle

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 16:45:40 »
Cool to see the classic colors in a new profile! Good luck with the IC buddy!  :D

Offline Zanhana

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 17:57:13 »
if it's at all possible, please make text 40s happen

I filled out the IC form asking for Icon 40s but I'm a dumb dumb and meant to say text 40s

anyway text 40s please
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 October 2021, 17:59:42 by Zanhana »

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 19:09:36 »
Anyway for KAM profile instead or at least for rd 2???

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 06 October 2021, 09:58:46 »

Maybe in the future :thumb:

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 06 October 2021, 10:01:33 »

Maybe in the future :thumb:
Thanks, appreciate you, & will be in line for it once it happens!

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 06 October 2021, 11:31:36 »
If this ends up being dyesub perhaps consider a different font that fits the Miami theme better? If KAT Refined works out then this shouldn't be a problem.

Offline Zanhana

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 06 October 2021, 12:13:18 »
If this ends up being dyesub perhaps consider a different font that fits the Miami theme better? If KAT Refined works out then this shouldn't be a problem.

absolutely not, do you even realize that the OG Miami was made by SP, not GMK? so the idea that a different font would "fit" Miami better is frankly just stupid, the SP-style legends are part of the original 2013 Miami look

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 06 October 2021, 14:29:55 »
absolutely not, do you even realize that the OG Miami was made by SP, not GMK? so the idea that a different font would "fit" Miami better is frankly just stupid, the SP-style legends are part of the original 2013 Miami look

Yeah ok, because there sure were a ton of options in 2013 for keycap manus and the idea was clearly perfect for SP. :rolleyes:

To expand on why I think it doesn't fit, the retro SP-look works best on retro-themed sets. Show me a single computer from the 70s through to the 90s that had anything as bright as this colourway. This set wants a different font, that's all I'm suggesting. Just look at the Windows flag next to the macOS-style option glyph. What the **** is that? It doesn't match at all.

that a different font would "fit" Miami better is frankly just stupid

You can't honestly sit there with a dead serious straight face and tell me that the Miami enter novelty matches the alpha legends. Nope, no way. Ever heard of "font pairing"?

And besides, OP seems intent on doubleshot, and that's fine. Doing that would render the whole font conversation moot for obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 October 2021, 14:32:58 by jagger27 »

Offline Zanhana

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 11:40:38 »

Yeah ok, because there sure were a ton of options in 2013 for keycap manus and the idea was clearly perfect for SP. :rolleyes:

the fact remains that, whether a product of design or an accident of circumstance, SP legends *are* the classic Miami legends. (and personally I think the large centered legends fit the bold Miami colors much better than GMK corner legends)

You can't honestly sit there with a dead serious straight face and tell me that the Miami enter novelty matches the alpha legends. Nope, no way. Ever heard of "font pairing"?

it wouldn't fit any better with GMK legends or text mods

but yes, all moot if the set is doubleshot. hoping Keyreative gets their process dialed in well

Offline Zanhana

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 11:42:02 »
P.S. speaking of KAT doubleshot, is the plan to get samples before GB? (if not, that should be the plan  :thumb:)

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 07 October 2021, 12:13:04 »
P.S. speaking of KAT doubleshot, is the plan to get samples before GB? (if not, that should be the plan  :thumb:)
Yes, I am planning to get samples before groupbuy starts

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 00:19:08 »
It's great that Miami and Miami Nights both have Colemak alpha kits!  I do have a couple suggestions:

• Colemak replaces Caps Lock with Backspace, so add KAT R2 1.75u Backspace.
  • Add Colemak DH & DHm support, as show in the table below.
  • Add Dvorak add-on kits to use in conjunction with Colemak kits.
  • Please clarify if alpha kits support non-homing, or have two types of homing (maybe bar and dish?).

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 October 2021, 10:24:50 by dvorcol »

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 17:40:48 »
It's great that Miami and Miami Nights both have Colemak alpha kits!  I do have a couple suggestions:

• Please clarify if alpha kits support non-homing, or have two types of homing (maybe bar and dish?).

Show Image

Show Image

I didn't know about some of these, will definitely be implementing them. And yes, the homing keys are bar and dish, sorry for any confusion, I'll be sure to label those soon.

Thanks, Dvorcol  :thumb:

Offline gleneston

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 21:52:29 »
I'd love to see some renders of Miami Nights mixed with Standard Miami.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 19 October 2021, 00:15:21 »

Show Image

Show Image

I didn't know about some of these, will definitely be implementing them. And yes, the homing keys are bar and dish, sorry for any confusion, I'll be sure to label those soon.

Thanks, Dvorcol  :thumb:

I was thinking about it some more.  Looking at Colemak, Colemak DH, and Dvorak layouts in the table below, there are only nine QWERTY keycaps that aren't used by any of the three:
     E, T, I, O, F, J, L, N, and ;:

So using a Colevrak+ kit in combination with the QWERTY Alphas kit might be a better way to cover more alternate layouts.

On the other hand, if Dvorak users are in the minority, then the majority would be stuck with at least 15 Dvorak-only keycaps.  If only there were a way to figure out the relative popularity of alternative layouts among those purchasing this set...

« Last Edit: Tue, 19 October 2021, 01:16:47 by dvorcol »

Offline Zanhana

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 19 October 2021, 17:43:31 »
So using a Colevrak+ kit in combination with the QWERTY Alphas kit might be a better way to cover more alternate layouts.

yes, Colevrak+ kitting is pretty common—no need to reinvent the wheel here. and yes, with the way Keyreative's MOQ works, it makes way more sense to have a Colevrak+ child kit rather than a standalone Colevrak-only alphas kit.

Offline alan1216221973

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 31 December 2021, 00:09:20 »
any updates on this?

Offline Krastoff

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 05 January 2022, 12:41:42 »
Probably waiting to see how the new KAT sets turn out to be, especially the double-shot ones.

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 16:46:05 »
any updates on this?
Work has been slow, hoping to update the IC within the next month  :thumb:

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 11 January 2022, 19:59:23 »
kitting and theme is good (my favorite color scheme actually) but the manufacturer... well let's say they didn't earn my respect.
hope for a manu/profile switch.

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 04 February 2022, 11:30:40 »
I am still rocking my DCS Original Miami set! I love seeing how the Miami design is constantly being updated/iterated and put into new profiles! I have never used KAT but would be interested in this. Love the Yellow accents!
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 05 February 2022, 17:32:55 »
I line this a lot.

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 13:45:13 »
Very interested. I love icon mods and the Miami Nights colorway, but I'm hesitant because of the obvious reasons with Keyreative. Would be great if we could see how Atlantis and other KAT sets come out before this moves forward.

Offline involuntarysoul

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 22 April 2022, 14:11:42 »
cannot wait for this set to go live, KAT is by far the most comfortable profile to type on, it sounds great too,

Offline Das

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 22:04:05 »
100% will buy

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 09:03:06 »
any updates on this?
Work has been slow, hoping to update the IC within the next month  :thumb:

Just bumping this since KAT Atlantis looks pretty solid so far from the doubleshot side. 
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline Zanhana

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 18 July 2022, 11:15:19 »

Just bumping this since KAT Atlantis looks pretty solid so far from the doubleshot side.

pretty solid tactile legends  :))