Author Topic: Tacticalstache's Keyboard customization adventures! [(un)Cancelled]  (Read 10596 times)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Hello GHers!

Kawa said we "must post pictures and write about what you make and post it on geekhack", so this is what I'm doing. I plan on writing this in a blog type format, with updates as they come. If this is not OK, please tell me, and I'll change my format.

I just ordered more than 2 cases, but I'll only be using 2 for the contest. I'll probably rope my buddy in, as he's more knowledgeable about spray-painting and stuff like that (and his dad will buy us spraypaint because we're under 18). I figure I'll post a pic of my base QFR (which will have new caps put on for the contest), so you guys have something to start with.

(It's already in all the applicable threads, please don't link the unicorn vomit keyboard thread)

I'm very excited to enter this contest, and I don't really care if I win. I just want to make my QFR look pretty(er). My plan is to spraypaint one of the cases to look like a classic BMW bkie, and do some other things I'll keep secret for now.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 October 2013, 18:33:33 by TacticalStache »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Re: Tacticalstache's Keyboard customization adventures!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 17:34:44 »
Minors can't buy spray paint in the US?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 17:38:57 »

I think so. It might just be a state thing, though. I don't actually know.

The place where we're gonna buy it keeps it in a cage that says you have to be over 18.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:01:37 »
1) imav is quite partial to bmw cruisers

2) for spraypainting abs, you either need krylon fusion (plastic specific) if you're going with one coat or you need to sand and primer with something plastic friendly then spray your color over the primer. talk to photoelectric and binge. they are quite the experts on this. especially for detail work.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:06:07 »
1) imav is quite partial to bmw cruisers

2) for spraypainting abs, you either need krylon fusion (plastic specific) if you're going with one coat or you need to sand and primer with something plastic friendly then spray your color over the primer. talk to photoelectric and binge. they are quite the experts on this. especially for detail work.

Thanks kawa! I'll probably have to send photoelectric a PM or 2.

Offline Topre

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:10:43 »

I think so. It might just be a state thing, though. I don't actually know.

The place where we're gonna buy it keeps it in a cage that says you have to be over 18.

Where is this? In NYC, it should be 21. Not sure about outside of the city though. Home Depot in NYC is 21 for sure. A few other paint shops also refused to sell it to me, because there was a requirement of being 21.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:12:26 »
I recommend avoiding Krylon Fusion.  I dislike it for multiple reasons.  There are nice acrylic lacquers, such as Montana Gold or some by PlastiKote.  You can also spray some oil enamels on plastic without any primer: Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch is made with a primer and can adhere to plastic.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 21:54:20 »
you still have to sand the rubberized coating off first right?

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 21:59:22 »
Yeah.  So basically in personal experience, I find that the silver cover has a somewhat thicker coating and it's easier to fully and partially sand off.  It sands smoothly, so where you do leave some, the transition between the coating and the plastic is smooth and there's no peeling.  The black covers have a thinner coating, and it's sort of film-like.  In other words, if you scratch any off... you basically have to remove it all.  Because the film just keeps peeling off the edges where it ends, and you can't smooth it out by sanding.  Only by removing completely.  So more work to sand.  And on the inner crevice parts, like where the openings to the keycaps are for the F-row, if you just sand the top surface, you will see the coating continue to peel off down the vertical sides.  I can sometimes roll it off with my finger.  It's a fair amount of careful work to sand it all away, but I'd recommend getting most of it off, as seeing this coating peel off so easily does not inspire confidence in long term durability.

Although... a thick enough coat of enamel + clear coat is durable enough in itself, and most keyboards just sit on tables, but I have OCD about that sort of thing, so I'm always nervous about the long-term durability.

I'll add comparison photos to my painting thread in a bit.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 August 2013, 22:03:01 by Photoelectric »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 00:08:31 »
Mind linking that painting thread for me?

And thanks for all this help. I really appreciate it.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 00:15:08 »
It's in my signature :)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 00:20:34 »
It's in my signature :)

I am good at reading things thoroughly. Thanks.

This bodes well for my ACT scores.

Offline tgujay

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 13:32:53 »
Topre and TacticalStache are in High School... this explains so much.
Gotta collect them all

Offline Topre

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 15:56:33 »

Haha, I have been out of High School. I was just wondering where he can get paint over 18, so I can get some by myself instead of asking my friends or dad to come with me. I would actually be willing to go with TacticalStache and get paint for him if he isn't too far.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 16:30:01 »

Haha, I have been out of High School. I was just wondering where he can get paint over 18, so I can get some by myself instead of asking my friends or dad to come with me. I would actually be willing to go with TacticalStache and get paint for him if he isn't too far.

It's alright. I've already got it.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 12:59:12 »
I got mail!

The planning begins! I've got to buy primer n stuff.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 13:38:37 »
Woot!!! Some fun times ahead :D

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 18:03:46 »
Tried painting this past weekend, spent a few days deciding if I wanted to put up pics.

I messed it up pretty bad, but I'll probably try again this weekend.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
Re: Tacticalstache's Keyboard customization adventures! [Cancelled]
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 16:04:35 »
Had to cancel. Everything I did kinda fell apart at the last moment. Please do not count my entry.

Further info: The tape I used kept pulling the paint up, even after 3-4 days. My other plan (glue newspaper to a case) failed mostly because I wasn't sure what kind of glue to use.

Grats to the winner(s).

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 01:32:56 »
no contest! just get more cases if you need more! don't give up! photoelectric's thread is a master class on getting stiction from paint without heat. if the paint is coming up with the tape, it is likely because the surface was not prepped and primered fully. paint is a difficult thing to get right, the only way to get it right from scratch is trial and error. thankfully, paint is generally easy to get off, to give you more chances with the same unit, and because we have arranged to have these items sold at cost, it is very cheap to get more if you need a fresh one!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 07:34:07 »
Tried painting this past weekend, spent a few days deciding if I wanted to put up pics.

I messed it up pretty bad, but I'll probably try again this weekend.

Don't cancel! My first attempt completely sucked as well -- I'm posting my pictures. It's our solemn duty to become cautionary tales. C'mon man, post those pictures. I'll bet mine are far worse.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 07:37:16 »
Yeah I ruined my first top but I'm not giving up!

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 08:02:09 »
Guys - just wanted to ask you before I start painting my covers - what is happening with those covers, so many of you said you ruined it at first try.
What exactly is happening? What is the problem? Painting or getting rid of that rubber layer?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 10:26:30 »
Had to cancel. Everything I did kinda fell apart at the last moment. Please do not count my entry.

Further info: The tape I used kept pulling the paint up, even after 3-4 days. My other plan (glue newspaper to a case) failed mostly because I wasn't sure what kind of glue to use.

Grats to the winner(s).

Hrm :(  Which tape did you use?  Sounds like very strong tape :(  I just use normal thin blue tape--I've found that the "delicate" kind leaves residue on painted drywall and is more of a pain to peel off (found this when painting my new apartment a couple years ago).

I'd also remove the tape as soon as possible after what you've painted is dry enough to avoid messing it up.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 15:00:52 »
Guys - just wanted to ask you before I start painting my covers - what is happening with those covers, so many of you said you ruined it at first try.
What exactly is happening? What is the problem? Painting or getting rid of that rubber layer?

My tape is too strong. The adhesive in the tape is pulling up paint with it. I sanded the rubber off.

-snip-

Hrm :(  Which tape did you use?  Sounds like very strong tape :(  I just use normal thin blue tape--I've found that the "delicate" kind leaves residue on painted drywall and is more of a pain to peel off (found this when painting my new apartment a couple years ago).

I'd also remove the tape as soon as possible after what you've painted is dry enough to avoid messing it up.

I used blue tape as well. It's not a residue, the paint is coming right off.

----

I'm cancelling not because I'm demotivated, but because I haven't got time. I'm a high school student. I've got tests to study for, and homework to do. I have little free time (even if I say otherwise). That and I managed to ruin all 4 cases I ordered.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 15:05:11 »
Doh...  it sound perhaps like the paint was not adhering well?  If so, what did you use?  And did you remove the tape soon after painting?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 15:09:08 »
Doh...  it sound perhaps like the paint was not adhering well?  If so, what did you use?  And did you remove the tape soon after painting?

I used the same stuff Jixr used, albeit in black/white, not blue (primed first). I waited 24 hours to remove the tape.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 15:14:02 »
24 hours is a long time.  The blue tape is not very well compatible with oil paints, and I've seen other tapes recommended instead (like masking tape, I *think*).  I'd remove the blue tape much sooner.  You don't strictly need new paint to be 100% dry--just enough so you can handle the cover from underneath and get some grip on it to peel the tape off and leave the cover to dry further.  That could be as short as an hour or two.

I used the same stuff Jixr used, albeit in black/white, not blue (primed first).

He has not listed what he used, unless I've missed it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 September 2013, 15:16:21 by Photoelectric »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 16:20:56 »
24 hours is a long time.  The blue tape is not very well compatible with oil paints, and I've seen other tapes recommended instead (like masking tape, I *think*).  I'd remove the blue tape much sooner.  You don't strictly need new paint to be 100% dry--just enough so you can handle the cover from underneath and get some grip on it to peel the tape off and leave the cover to dry further.  That could be as short as an hour or two.

I used the same stuff Jixr used, albeit in black/white, not blue (primed first).

He has not listed what he used, unless I've missed it.

Well, it may not have been him, but I saw it somewhere in this subforum. I used rust-oleum painter's touch 2X paint/primer.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 16:28:23 »
Ah okay, that's good :)  Well, I guess the only thing I would advise to do differently would be to not leave the tape on for long--as little time as you can get away with.  When you put it on, you can also fix it lightly, without pressing it in.  The edges are the relevant parts, where paint shouldn't go under the paint.

If you decide to restart this project, you should definitely post about it ;)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 16:55:59 »
Ah okay, that's good :)  Well, I guess the only thing I would advise to do differently would be to not leave the tape on for long--as little time as you can get away with.  When you put it on, you can also fix it lightly, without pressing it in.  The edges are the relevant parts, where paint shouldn't go under the paint.

If you decide to restart this project, you should definitely post about it ;)

I may salvage it, but don't expect anything.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
Re: Tacticalstache's Keyboard customization adventures! [(un)Cancelled]
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 18:34:59 »
Uncancelling due to more free time.

My friend forked over his extra 2 cases. Probably gonna glue a bunch of keycaps to one. I'll keep you posted.

Offline jawwwwsh

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 02:41:59 »
Hey TC, loads of people say "I ruined my first cases" but no one elaborates as to what they did wrong? I'm going to begin spraying my first cases this weekend/next, and would love to find out what everyone is doing wrong so I can TRY to avoid it!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 07:29:21 »
Hey TC, loads of people say "I ruined my first cases" but no one elaborates as to what they did wrong? I'm going to begin spraying my first cases this weekend/next, and would love to find out what everyone is doing wrong so I can TRY to avoid it!

Check my thread, I completely screwed up my first paint job (I still have to strip off the paint). My mistake was to put it on too thickly. Just spatter the case very lightly, let it dry, sand, and then lightly spray again. Don't become a cautionary tale like I did. If you do fail, be a man and post those potatoes.

EDIT: View my horrific failure here! LOL!
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 October 2013, 07:31:27 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 09:20:15 »

Make multiple samples before you paint your case cover.  Then you will know what to avoid :)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 14:17:32 »

Just don't buy gaff tape. No matter how much I love the stuff (it's literally magic), it pulled up the paint under it, and my cases looked like crap because of it.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 14:24:38 »
Oh that's what I've been forgetting to mention--I saw special masking/painting tape at my nearby automotive supplies store (AutoZone).  I think it's made specifically for lacquers/enamels.  I'd check auto supply stores that sell rattle cans of paint.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 15:59:00 »
I just used what I had lying around, haha. Painters tape can be had at any hardware store.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 16:01:00 »
I just used what I had lying around, haha. Painters tape can be had at any hardware store.

I've not had problems with using regular painter's tape, but I've read that some people have (outside of GH too).  So I figured I'd bring those up--perhaps they are more gentle.