Author Topic: Describe your typing style...  (Read 13011 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Describe your typing style...
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 15:37:05 »
After giving this more thought and paying attention a good bit of my typing is done entering commands etc primarily with my left hand as I tend to keep my right hand on the mouse.

Although some things I do require a good bit of data entry with the number pad and in those situations I just keep my left hand on tab and enter with the right going back and forth between the number pad and mouse.

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 01:11:57 »
I'm trying to follow proper traditional technique. When I do unproductive mistakes (and notice it) I try to correct them.

However, the fastest typist in the world (around 235WPM I think) (uses a Das Keyboard by they way) said that he uses dynamically the 'closest' finger sometimes instead of the 'proper' one.

So, it's not that bad to do dynamic switches on the fly.

Though if you're a novice (like myself) it's hard to figure out sometimes if the "mistake" is 'dynamic and productive' or just a mistake.

Offline Poom

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 08:05:16 »
I think using different layouts mutates my typing.... for once I was normal using only ANSI, then started using ISO (after i moved to Germany) then switching between mac and windows.
first stage of mutation was that the lefft shift keys got smaller on ISO, so i had to pay so much attention to hit it as in to reach further, enter need further reach also, so i ended up only using left shift, that makes shift+a difficult.
then comes the command and control, there were a point where I only use mac, and so my left thumb is concentrated on the left command key, i lost the ability to press the spacebar with that thumb and because my right thumb always presses the spacebar, i cant use the right comman key.

anyone else feels the same that switching between different layout makes your typing weirder? or say less-standard.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 21:11:56 »
the only thing i took away from junior high school, was proper typing technique, pretty sure it was on an apple 2 that i learned on. Kept it ever since.

A lot of ppl in my generation are 2 types of typers.

hunt and peckers or

chatroom/aol ppl.

Heck i still remember my wife saying "HeLlO, HoW R YoU" in aol speak, man that really worked your pinkies.

Offline Zustiur

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 08:38:35 »
I use all the 'correct' fingers for method zero... except apparently for 6 which I always thought was supposed to be right index finger. I also do freaky cross-overs at times. If it's easier in the moment to press a right hand key with my left hand I will (particularly when mousing). I think I use both thumbs for the space bar, but the right thumb is definitely dominant.
At rest I'm either on the home row, or just scattered wherever my hands fall. As long as I can feel the nubs under my index fingers, I'm in the right place. I doesn't matter where the tips of my other fingers rest. They just move to wherever feels comfortable at the time. And it changes a lot.

-edit- actually, looking back at the diagram provided by InternetLad, most of my numbers are wrong.
Pinky for 1
Ring for 2
Tall man for 3
Index for 4 and 5
Index for 6 and 7
Tall man for 8
Ring for 9 and sometimes 0
Pinky for 0, -, = , backspace

Poor right pinky, does so much work... yet it's my left one that hurts.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 July 2013, 08:41:29 by Zustiur »

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 09:02:49 »
I use method two.
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline germy

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 09:09:57 »
I'm a pecker.

Offline aj-kun

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 17:01:47 »
Touch type newb, only 55wpm, no flow whatsoever.
Bad habits: sometimes I press, y h n 6 with my left pointer.
Other than that all fingers in the correct places.

I only started using the right shift so most of the left hand Caps are typed with left pinky on shift + letter.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 21:52:31 »
I have been typing "untamed" a long time. With some very few exceptions, I am a four-finger typist.
The left Pinky is planted above the left Shift key (ISO, far left) and the left Ring finger is almost always over the letter 'A' when not used for Control (Caps Lock).

I think that my brain translates words into typing by breaking down the words into smaller combinations that can be typed faster. At the lowest level, these combinations are bigrams. I have noticed that I tend to type bigrams with keys next to each in fast combinations of an Index and Middle finger on the same hand. Then there are lots of bigrams with 'A'. (left Ring and Index finger). The most common of these for the English language must be {ER} and {RT}.
Example. The word "OPERATION" is typed as {OP} {ER} {AT} {IO} N, but {NO} is also a common bigram and I find that my right Middle finger lingers over 'O' as I press 'N' so it would be just as true to say that I type it as {OP} {ER} {AT} I {ON}.
I am not too consistent. How I type depends on the word. The keys in the middle of the keyboard (Y, G, B) are typed with different hands depending on the word. I sometimes type bigrams {TY} and {GH} as Index/Middle finger combos, but not always.

Some keys on the far right of the keyboard are typed mostly with the right Ring finger. I press Enter and Backspace with the Ring finger.
I use the right Shift for shifting keys on the far right and for that I use the right Pinky.
Many times I press large keys on the far right with two fingers together. Sometimes the Pinky is there to reinforce the Ring finger when pressing Return and sometimes the Ring finger is there to reinforce the Pinky when pressing Shift. The Ring finger can sometimes be reinforce with the Middle finger when pressing Backspace, but never with the Pinky.

Gah.. All this analysing of my typing style muddles up my typing of this post... Heisenberg's principle definitely applies here.. :P
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 July 2013, 21:57:25 by Findecanor »

Offline TheUnknownZ

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 03:08:09 »
I can't recall if I used right Shift at all.

So that's where the right shift is for, I just never realized it's for the capitals on the left hand.

I can touch type QWERTY fine I guess but over the years the speed is decreasing I caught myself personalizing/using other fingers.
I took type lessons and to finish it and get a certificate you had to get 100WPM or more, but these days I'm at about 70-80.
For my password I have a weird habit of typing it so that I can type it very quickly with 2 or 3 fingers.

I'm going to try to make the right shift usable for me :D

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 10:06:05 »
Here's my typing style:

Right hand:
Pointer finger: QWERTYUIOP[]\ASDFGHJKL;'ZXCVBNM,./`1234567890-=\

Left hand:
Pointer finger: Shift key

Right fist:
Backspace key & Enter key
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 03 August 2013, 10:32:26 »
Here's my typing style:

Right hand:

Left hand:

Right fist:

What about the number pad :eek:

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 13:26:23 »
Here's my typing style:

Right hand:

Left hand:

Right fist:

This much trolling overdrive made me lol so hard everybody in the office is looking at me right now.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 14:29:12 »
Compulsive.... Extremely fast if I've got the sentence in my head already.

Also a bad part of my style is my left pinky gets little "proper" use besides shift / control. And the right shift is NEVER touched.

Again, just very impulsive / compulsive (I tend to edit my posts a lot... lol...)

Bit of an update to this. (this time touching on form of typing, rather than actual output)

I've lowered my keyboard, and raised my arm rests on my chair. Let me tell you, this has improved my accuracy and comfort exponentially. (before, in the quote above, my wrists were literally resting on the table in front of the keyboard, with my long fingers just reaching up to tap the keys. I believe this led to a lot of fatigue, leading to mistakes and typos.)

Now, I strike down from above. My hands stay almost stationary, while my fingers strike down into the keys. This is how I'll be typing from now on. No more sporadic typing either - I have a rhythm to my typing now. Constant taps, then a pause to think and reflect. It's like i'm more relaxed now.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 09:24:45 »
I do use my palm face to tab the space bar, is that normal?

Sometimes I do punch the keyboard too but this is talk for bar, another time.
8-)
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 11:38:44 »
Here's my typing style :

I'm pretty much only using the 60% main surface area. I don't really like numpads myself but i use them from times to times when i have heavy maths to do.

I usually starts my words with my middle finger and then it always depend what finger is closer to the letter to click it. i use my fourth finger for the accent module on the right and for my left i use it only for the QAZ row. Middle fingers is used for Backspace caps tab enter shift control esc (Both 60% side columns i mean) and both thumbs are on spacebar and also used for alt and win keys. Sometimes spacebar is clicked by the Index.

Pinky is a little flyish when i typing very long words.

Numrow is divided at digit 6 for left/right hands.

I very rarely use caps, i leave a finger on shift instead. **** caps i hate this ****key, only good for worthless 12 years old losing arguments over the internet.

I don't really use function keys on my fullsize 7G, but at job i mostly use them on the Poker II which they are fairly easy to use (FN + the key looking for).

I guess that is all.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline divito

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 11:39:12 »
I think I have one of the strangest typing styles that probably isn't all that efficient. When I get time, I will try and make a video to showcase my weirdness.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 12:46:27 »
I think I'm a standard ANSI touch typist except for the fact that I never use the the right shift or control.

This is me.  For whatever reason, I don't ever use the right side modifiers.  The only exception to that is the "Menu" key.  I use the hell out of the "Menu" key, but then again, I like to avoid using the mouse for as much as possible.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline Topre

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 13:04:33 »
I have a weird typing style. I type with my left ring finger on the F key, and my left hand types all the letters. My right hand takes care of the modifiers, spacebar, numbers, and symbols. Believe it or not, I get over 100 WPM using this style of typing.

When messing around, I just like to roll my face on the keyboard.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 16:27:40 »
Here's my typing style:

Right hand:

Left hand:

Right fist:

What about the number pad :eek:

I press the numbers there with my right pointer finger too. I prefer the number keys above the QWERTY pad though.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 16:29:28 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 August 2013, 16:48:43 by microsoft windows »