Author Topic: [IC] Keychron Q1  (Read 110973 times)

Offline cheswick

• https://cheswick.dev/
    • cheswick.dev
[IC] Keychron Q1
« on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 09:44:32 »
Q1
by Keychron

Full Alu body, VIA, Gasket mount, ANSI/ISO, Hotswap, 75%, foamed, 169USD fully assembled.

Official website: https://www.keychron.com/pages/qmk-prelaunch
Discord for discussion and talks: https://discord.gg/HAYbRrTsjN

In July 2021, this board will be available for purchase on Keychrons' official website.
We're doing this IC to get some final feedback and interest on the board before it goes into production.

Keychron aspires to provide a high-quality typing experience for Windows/Mac with the new Q-series at an affordable price, allowing high-quality boards to reach a wider audience.

Features
  • VIA support from day one out of the box
  • Gasket Mount Design
  • ANSI/ISO PCB options
  • Hot-Swappable PCB for 5-pin mechanical switches
  • Foaming
  • Full CNC Aluminium Body
  • Screw-In Stabilizers
  • South-Facing RGB
  • Windows/Mac switch
  • Additional rotary encoder, brass weight option

Options

Board options
  • Fully assembled: 169USD(without brass weight, knob or plate options(Alu will be default)) Switches will be gateron g pros(phantom)
  • Barebone: 149USD
  • Brass weight: TBA
  • Knob: TBA

Case colors
  • Black
  • White
  • Grey
  • Blue
  • Navy Blue
  • Yellow (depending on interest)

PCB/Plate
  • Pre-solderd rotary encoder
  • Badge/normal switch
  • Aluminium plate
  • PC plate
  • FR4 plate

Size
  • Width: 145mm
  • Lenght: 327.5mm
  • Front Height: 21.6mm
  • Back Height: 34.8mm
  • Feet Height: 2.4mm
  • Angle: 5.2 degree

Informations
The first prototypes have arrived and are fully functional; this will be an unlimited run of the board, and real-life photos of the boards will be available later.
Because we want to change the size of the board on a regular basis (the next board will be a 65% board), this will be time-limited, but if more specific information becomes available, I will update this post.

Edit1 on Q1:
We postponed the pre-order release date to the end of July, and the shipping date to late August to implement all changes.
Pre-Order will be available at the end of July. Shipment is set for late August to match all the feedback we got!

!!!PRICE ANNOUNCEMENT & CHANGE!!!
Barebone 149USD
Fully assembled with double shot ABS keycaps and switches 169USD

That's entirely my fault; I simply messed up the exchange rate and just put 150€ as 150USD. We've now agreed to reduce the price Keychron originally requested for the fully assembled from 179USD to 169USD bringing the fully assembled price closer to the original price I called out.
I'm really sorry for that and I know when people are angry about it but it was a honest mistake.

New Details:
  • 8 Gaskets are pre installed, 8 extra gaskets will come for you to install on your own for your personal needs.
  • Plates got updated to: Alu, PC, FR4
  • Badges will be available in matching colors of the board.
  • Switches will be pre lubed by Gateron.
  • Doublshot ABS Keycaps
  • PCB Stabs that are similar to GMK stabs.
  • USB part of the board is separated from the normal pcb so it won’t be affected by the flex.
  • Dark/Navy blue added as color
  • Chips: Atmega32U4
  • 2x 1.5u will be not available at launch, maybe later.

« Last Edit: Tue, 15 February 2022, 11:07:33 by cheswick »

Offline Bushhawk

Re: [IC] Keychron Q1
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 09:59:09 »
Nice
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 June 2021, 10:02:55 by Bushhawk »

Offline ♾Ḋḯṩⱥṩẗḝṟ

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 10:01:56 »
Looks good, looking forward to a build stream or sound test at least ;)

Offline P103

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 10:02:31 »
Mother of gaskets.

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 10:03:11 »
Looks good, looking forward to a build stream or sound test at least ;)

Build streams and reviews of others will be out some weeks before the launch. I will link them in the IC asap.

Offline CbR4

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 10:11:07 »
I've seen updates for this project coming through on social media. I'm pretty keen to get my hands on one of these.

By "normal gaterons", assuming that's Red/Brown/Blue? If so, any consideration to Yellow?

Offline P103

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 10:24:22 »
I've seen updates for this project coming through on social media. I'm pretty keen to get my hands on one of these.

By "normal gaterons", assuming that's Red/Brown/Blue? If so, any consideration to Yellow?

If you are interested in the hobby then you're better off saving that money and buying an actual custom from well known members of the community whom have actual reputation to uphold.

Offline ZavaZ86

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 10:41:54 »
Sorry, the gates are closed, please come back again when you got something that isn't oem, thank you  :)

Offline Soppro

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 10:43:49 »
Looks good, excited to see reviews and sound tests of the board  :thumb:

Offline doggo1dance

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 10:50:18 »
looking forward to this board!

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 10:51:01 »
How is this an interest check if you already know when you're selling it?

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 10:54:15 »
Hopefully, you guys don't make the same mistake as glorious did and take actual feedback before selling anything.

Apart from that GLWIC.

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 11:04:16 »
i love foam

Offline Oggi

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 11:05:12 »
> foamed

Offline Robert.Lussier5

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 11:05:38 »
- Poly and fr4 plate option would be nice.

- For sure barebone kits

- Make sure a variety of screw in stab brands work, so modification isn’t needed.

- more colors than black/white/grey.

- instantly buying and review one when available.

Austin R3 - Green // Austin R3 - Purple // Custom Acrylic Austin - Clear // Rekt1800 - Blue // Cypher r4 - Black // Boston - Sparkle Black // Balance - White // Glitch - Green // Shelby80 - Navy // Odin - Silver // Zoom65  Red // QK65 - Black // Link65 - Lilac

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 11:17:18 »

If you are interested in the hobby then you're better off saving that money and buying an actual custom from well known members of the community whom have actual reputation to uphold.

Its backed from Keychron, they already released 10 and more boards and have the most backed board on crowdfunding ever. So this is a save project

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 11:19:37 »
How is this an interest check if you already know when you're selling it?
IDK what could describe it better, I just wanted feedback to improve it before GB

Offline Cosmizu

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 13:14:12 »
holy moly this sounds good

Offline goonstrangler

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 14:02:21 »
if you add a polycarbonate plate option I'm instantly hooked

Offline ngud

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 14:31:43 »

As if there aren't any failed projects or others with huge shortcomings from runners in the community

looks at sets and boards pending fulfilment for 2+ years
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 June 2021, 14:36:08 by ngud »

Offline L4ll1g470r

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 14:36:18 »
Definitely will get one if barebones blue’s available, also would be interested in a(n ISO) polycarb plate as it’s an rgb board and I don’t exactly run pudding caps or similar  :D

Offline ダbruh

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 15:03:55 »
another 75 YEP, hope this is good

Sent from my smart gater ron using Tapatalk

Offline SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 15:11:50 »
I dont like the badge design or the way its protruding out. It would have looked way better if it was flush with the case. I dont think its too hard to achieve though.

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 15:21:35 »
I dont like the badge design or the way its protruding out. It would have looked way better if it was flush with the case. I dont think its too hard to achieve though.
Its just a place holder cause u can take it out and insert a switch in the hotswap socket underneath the badge or use the other pcb option with a pre solderd knob.

Offline Necrolegion

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 15:32:49 »
WHAT??? This is an insta for me! Love the knob and badge versions.

Offline herfalerf

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 15:49:53 »
Looks like another big company releasing a "spec sheet" product.  Good on you for trying to release something more premium for a reasonable price, just hope you do a bit more research before you actually try to produce this.

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 15:52:38 »
Looks like another big company releasing a "spec sheet" product.  Good on you for trying to release something more premium for a reasonable price, just hope you do a bit more research before you actually try to produce this.
Why more research in what directions?

Offline Xanira

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 15:56:59 »
When it comes to acoustics and plate mounting design glorious didn't exactly do their homework so im assuming that's what they mean

Offline Jefff

• jlabs.co
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 16:10:11 »
That's a lotta foam

Offline bball2

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 17:50:15 »
Two things I would suggest (mostly from my experience with the GMMK):

- go with 2x 1.5U keys on the bottom right instead of 3x 1U keys - much better compatability
- make sure most popular stabilizer brands work; gmk screw-in / durock

Offline RicWatt

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 18:33:23 »
Yeah I will be getting one for sure, I would suggest a barebones kit for sure as a lot of the hobbyists have their own switches and keycaps. I would get a barebones lol so I am biased here. Other than that, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Offline keebees

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 18:37:42 »
Watching this for sure. Was slightly disappointed that the GMMK Pro had a uhh mount with gaskets and bungled QMK support. Via out of the box is huge! K2 was my gateway into this world so I’m excited for this project!

Offline rurouni572

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 18:40:04 »
Are those regular poron gaskets? They look really compressible, but I'm concerned that it will at some point remain permanently compressed without any spring back after using it for a while, or just the natural weight of the plate.

Offline cheswick

• cheswick.dev
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 18:59:13 »
Yeah I will be getting one for sure, I would suggest a barebones kit for sure as a lot of the hobbyists have their own switches and keycaps. I would get a barebones lol so I am biased here. Other than that, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Barebone will be available from the beginning

Offline exactrevenge

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 19:05:14 »
Would love the board in a darker blue like Navy or Midnight blue.

Offline Suds

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 19:07:02 »
Since this is available so soon I'm not sure if you want this kind of feedback, but:

This has the same layout as the GMMK Pro, but with one fewer key. So I can have a Home, but not an End. I don't see the point in this. It might be worth it if this was a notably different layout, but as it is I'm just left without an End key for no reason.

One positive over the GMMK: no side lighting. Not a huge thing, since you can just turn the side lighting off, but the cleaner look is nice.

I agree with the person above who says you should go with two 1.5u mods on the right, rather than three 1u mods. It's nice to maintain keycap compatibility. (This is not contradiction to my first point, the mods are redundant.)

Otherwise, this is really nice. Especially if the VIA support isn't half-assed. (I'm sure it won't be, that's a dig at Glorious.)

Offline CbR4

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 19:22:30 »
Watching this for sure. Was slightly disappointed that the GMMK Pro had a uhh mount with gaskets and bungled QMK support. Via out of the box is huge! K2 was my gateway into this world so I’m excited for this project!

The K2 was my entry point too. I still use it almost daily even though I have bought others. I think recently other budget brands had caught up and in some cases, overtaken Keychron in this market. I like that they’re trying to innovate and get into the higher end of budget boards.

Offline Xifi.1923

• Learning the ways of the keeb.
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 19:36:05 »
K6 was my second mechanical keyboard and while I loved it, it eventually had to sell it because I got deeper into the hobby but I was able to customize it to my hearts content. You can say it was my first ever hobbyist board. Cant wait for a better 65% coming from you guys. GLWIC

Offline watchsasquatch

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 20:27:26 »
This looks good so far! K6 was my entry into the hobby, and while I've certainly tried many other (and significantly more expensive) boards, would love to see Keychron attempt a more premium board.

I also agree though that 1.5u on the right side of the bottom row would be better for compatibility and would be curious to hear what materials the gaskets are.

Offline elisyan

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 20:37:25 »
I'm not the type of audience to buy this board but I have friends/family/coworkers who have purchased similar keyboards to gain entry into the hobby.

I hope to see gateron yellows offered as an option since they are a pretty popular pick amongst the community out of the more common gateron switches.

I am a bit concerned about how firm the typing experience will be with so much foam and so many gaskets. Kind of seems like it defeats the purpose. It is probably a good idea to test if those side gaskets are even needed. In my experience smaller keyboards with side gaskets just makes everything too stiff. Perhaps having a no foam option with no side gaskets could bring the cost down even more, and the foam can be an add-on for those who want the foam stack typing sound or the stiffness that comes with it.

Offline AloeVee

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 21:02:24 »
Rose gold option would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline herfalerf

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 22:23:40 »

C'mon dude, your gasket design is bad and your board is basically just a greatest hits of what has been popular in the last year or two.  This feels like a low effort cash grab.

Offline Suds

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 22:28:01 »
C'mon dude, your gasket design is bad and your board is basically just a greatest hits of what has been popular in the last year or two.  This feels like a low effort cash grab.

This is not reasonable at all. I like the design quite a bit, and the innovation is in the price point. There's only one other board competing with this one.

Offline chiefmatex

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 22:35:57 »
keychron k6 (well, couple of them) were also my entry into the hobby… i would get one of these, for one of my bros who wants an entry level board but don’t want to go down the rabbit hole

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 22:37:26 »
I hope this can be an amazing value proposition, but I will have to see proto streams before I can truly judge it.

Offline Arcoril

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 22:43:30 »

I don't get this at all. This board implements a ton of the community's most requested features and offers it at at price point that makes it accessible to more people.

Offline herfalerf

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 22:43:31 »

This is not reasonable at all. I like the design quite a bit, and the innovation is in the price point. There's only one other board competing with this one.

None of the things wrong with the design would require increasing the price.  In my opinion we should have higher expectations for an actual OEM.

Offline whirlwind

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 22:47:22 »
Sir, this is Geekhack and not a newspaper

Offline CbR4

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 22:48:42 »

I don't get this at all. This board implements a ton of the community's most requested features and offers it at at price point that makes it accessible to more people.

That's my feel as well. If done right this could be a really great gateway into the more custom scene. As long as the build quality is alright and people aren't being straight up ripped off, surely this kind of board at a budget price could only be a positive? Accessibility options into a community like this is a great thing.

Offline vienarr

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 23:00:48 »
It has a lot of good feature, definitely will get barebone
Some feedback maybe add more colour option