Author Topic: [IC] Penumbra Key Set (formerly Solarized)  (Read 736972 times)

Offline sprit

•  Post Editing Timeout
  • Location: The Geek Symphosion :::::: Mechanical Engineering ::: Alta Magna Uniforma :::::: 哀吾生之須臾羨長江之無窮 ::
Re: [IC] [VOTE] Solarized Set Key Caps
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 23:16:13 »
     I Do I Do I Do!   Love It  All    :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 October 2013, 23:34:34 by sprit »

Offline Ryu

• GitHub
« Reply #151 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 03:09:05 »
Why not some mods for HHKB-like layout?  :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #152 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 03:56:37 »
Why not some mods for HHKB?  :)

Welcome to Geekhack!

And ... FTFY :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mtl

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 12:04:05 »
Smooth for wear uniformity?

One problem with the smooth finish I have noticed after a hot summer with Round 4 sphericals and no air conditioning is they feel sticky in high humidity, as they cup your fingertips. FWIW I haven't had any problems with the matte Round 3 DSAs wearing smooth, but maybe I don't type enough.
MX13 SpaceSaver | Phantom | Tactoblack Filco -10 | Realforce 103U-UW | Variable Clicky Deck 82 | Deck Legend

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 12:47:02 »
Like this color, but I am not a fans of SA profile  :-[

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 17:10:06 »
To give my input on the GMK vs SP discussion:
One big reason to go with GMK over SP is their thickness of caps - SP caps are much thinner than GMK caps.
However, SA profile caps are super thick.  I don't have a full set, just a few from a crap bag, but the caps I have are quite thick and wouldn't feel "cheap" like some people think DCS SP keycaps feel.  So since the general consensus here is to go with a retro looking style, I think it'd be best to stick with SA profile from SP since it gives us that profile, centered big alphas, and still is thick.
Just my two cents.

Offline Ryan Uber

Re: [IC] Penumbra Key Set (formerly Solarized)
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 23:25:23 »
Updated OP with new mock-ups and the new name, Penumbra! (Thanks Photoelectric for the name)

ErgoDox
Currently there is no ErgoDox kit in the images because of the small amount of requests for it so far - but it can be added back if enough people are interested. Register your interest for it here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/13thmqfAdDN25T2RJvtbPeRSpx5l3AYisgzDaL1aGOG4/viewform

Gathering some various pricing data from SP.

Let me know if you miss the graphic legend modifiers - To me they don't look right with the retro everything-else but if everyone is outraged then they can go back.

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 23:27:50 »
Why not some mods for HHKB?  :)

Welcome to Geekhack!

And ... FTFY :p

Why not some mods for HHKB-like layout?  :)

What keys would need to be added? Don't know HHKB layout, its just not my thing.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 23:32:43 »
Updated OP with new mock-ups and the new name, Penumbra! (Thanks Photoelectric for the name)

ErgoDox
Currently there is no ErgoDox kit in the images because of the small amount of requests for it so far - but it can be added back if enough people are interested. Register your interest for it here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/13thmqfAdDN25T2RJvtbPeRSpx5l3AYisgzDaL1aGOG4/viewform

Let me know if you miss the graphic legend modifiers - To me they don't look right with the retro everything-else but if everyone is outraged then they can go back.

Yeah I'm in the graphic mods camp, much prefer them.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 23:37:07 »
I could go either way with the mods--just want the set to happen beyond the mock ups.  I think modifiers look more natural / symmetric as lettering, personally.  There's already a lot happening with the set, in terms of all the random colors and contrasts.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 23:39:22 »

ErgoDox

Yeah I'm in the graphic mods camp, much prefer them.

Also started wondering when I was looking at them earlier - does the 10-key pad normally have some kind of graphical legends on them as well?  Like the enter key?

And while we are on that subject - I noticed that near the alphas, the enter key is labeled "RETURN" which I like better, but on the 10-key pad I have "ENTER". So..?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #161 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 23:42:35 »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #162 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 23:44:47 »
Actually looking over the previous SA sets and I think the thing that's throwing me off with the mock up is the differing font sizes for the mods. Check out the photo below for an example. If the legends on the mods are all going to be the same size then I'm happy to lose the graphic legends.

It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #163 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 23:48:51 »
Actually looking over the previous SA sets and I think the thing that's throwing me off with the mock up is the differing font sizes for the mods. Check out the photo below for an example. If the legends on the mods are all going to be the same size then I'm happy to lose the graphic legends.

Show Image

Yeah of course - I didn't spend enough time perfecting things in the mock-ups so its my fail. They would definitely be uniform.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #164 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 23:50:31 »

Show Image

Yeah of course - I didn't spend enough time perfecting things in the mock-ups so its my fail. They would definitely be uniform.

Haha most people probably wouldn't have even noticed, I'm just totally picky about these sorts of things :)

Offline moogle

_
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 00:20:38 »
_
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 August 2017, 05:19:32 by moogle »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 00:24:22 »
They are quite different colors.

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 00:25:38 »
why GTL and GPA instead of a single gray?

Mainly because GPA wouldn't really show up on BED.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 00:27:32 »
GH Esc Keys? In grey? Not a dealbreaker but pink is probably my least favourite colour hahaha

Offline moogle

_
« Reply #169 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 00:28:51 »
_
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 August 2017, 05:19:47 by moogle »

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #170 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 00:30:02 »
GH Esc Keys? In grey? Not a dealbreaker but pink is probably my least favourite colour hahaha

Actually I think we do need alternate ESC. I personally don't like RCR very much either. Good idea.

EDIT: Have not asked SP about that yet - I am assuming they do have a "GEEK HACK" key cap in SA row 1?

Like this but in SA + row 1
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 October 2013, 00:33:36 by Ryan Uber »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #171 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 00:32:52 »
I believe geek hack design needs a permission from the admins.  I *think* that's the case.

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #172 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 01:01:35 »
I believe geek hack design needs a permission from the admins.  I *think* that's the case.

So, perhaps a regular ESCAPE in the gray color then to keep this rolling.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #173 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 01:16:59 »
Down with the mock up for the base kit on the 1st page.
Just wanna ask, when will you plan to run the GB tho ?
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #174 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 01:28:22 »

Once I've ironed out all of the details - as you can tell there are still a few little things being tweaked. I won't put a hard date on when the GB will begin, but "soon" is probably a safe assumption for when it will begin. I want to give any ergodox people a chance to register their interest, if there are only a few or so then this set will probably not run ergodox sets.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #175 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 01:30:20 »

Once I've ironed out all of the details - as you can tell there are still a few little things being tweaked. I won't put a hard date on when the GB will begin, but "soon" is probably a safe assumption for when it will begin. I want to give any ergodox people a chance to register their interest, if there are only a few or so then this set will probably not run ergodox sets.

Can I assume it won't be this month ?
Cause I'm hella broke  :))
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #176 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 01:44:36 »
Can I assume it won't be this month ?
Cause I'm hella broke  :))

Probably still taking orders in a month - Pretty sure we will need to give it a month or so to hit the MOQ's for the prices we want. Let's imagine wrapping up orders and getting into production at the end of November, if things go well. Most people here (myself included) want them faster but I am guessing realistically it will be a month-ish.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #177 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 02:07:07 »
Wait, when did this get renamed? Not that I was in, anyway, as if I were to buy a new keycap set I'd go for the mocha thing MOZ is trotting around. But with the solarized set, at least I could sing about the sins of the solar empire while typing. Which would be cool.

Cool is how I feel about this color combination. Not hot, not cold. Good luck anyway.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #178 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 02:15:12 »
Probably still taking orders in a month - Pretty sure we will need to give it a month or so to hit the MOQ's for the prices we want. Let's imagine wrapping up orders and getting into production at the end of November, if things go well. Most people here (myself included) want them faster but I am guessing realistically it will be a month-ish.

Smart thing to do.  Even some of us can pay up immediately you need to think about the others you can't front up with the money now.  A month is a decent amount of time I should think, but I could be wrong, due to some may wanting it to go on longer (just my own understanding when involved with GB's thus far).

Besides you can fine tune the "Penumbra" (if you want) to give that extra appeal for some wanting a little more.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #179 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 02:16:53 »

Actually I think we do need alternate ESC. I personally don't like RCR very much either. Good idea.

EDIT: Have not asked SP about that yet - I am assuming they do have a "GEEK HACK" key cap in SA row 1?

Like this but in SA + row 1
Show Image

Ask them for a quote on getting one made, IIRC it's about $45 for DCS caps so we could probably get one made and distribute the cost throughout the set.

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #180 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 02:32:06 »
Anyone think bright red might look better on ESCAPE ? Like "RR"?

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #181 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 02:34:52 »
Anyone think bright red might look better on ESCAPE ? Like "RR"?

Yep, RA or RR.

Offline GMC

• Shiny.
« Reply #182 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 02:37:36 »
Am late to this party and liking this in SA, but not so ken on the multicoloured mod legend text. Would be better with one colour for that.  Also would the ISO kit be cheaper if the return key had no legend? If so I'd be happy with that...
WASD V1 - waiting on R4... - MX Brown
KBT Pure - Zinc caps - MX Brown
Cherry G80-1800 ISO WKL - SkiData caps - MX Clear

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #183 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 02:50:59 »
Am late to this party and liking this in SA, but not so ken on the multicoloured mod legend text. Would be better with one colour for that.  Also would the ISO kit be cheaper if the return key had no legend? If so I'd be happy with that...

First ISO suggestion, so we could remove the legend from the ISO kit. Might be a little cheaper.

Offline Ryan Uber

« Reply #184 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 03:11:07 »
No one has mentioned deep dish or nubs yet for f/j/5 keys. I added both, I like nubs but I know a lot of people like deep dish.
Also tried replacing RCR with RR - both RR and RA look about the same, RR a little lighter which might give it more contrast against the base color. Let me know if you liked RCR better (pink).
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 October 2013, 03:14:42 by Ryan Uber »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #185 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 03:17:47 »
No one has mentioned deep dish or nubs yet for f/j/5 keys. I added both, I like nubs but I know a lot of people like deep dish.
Also tried replacing RCR with RR - both RR and RA look about the same, RR a little lighter which might give it more contrast against the base color. Let me know if you liked RCR better (pink).

Good man, I'm in the deep dish camp :)

Offline AlexJP

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 04:13:44 »
nice set. I'm in..
 ;)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 04:31:06 »
Deep dish
Legend mods
ErgoDox
RR for Escape with Geek Hack (In two rows)

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #188 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 05:03:40 »

I kinda like the multi coloured mods actually. :-x

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 05:29:07 »
Do you think enough people will notice the ergodox voting link?
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 October 2013, 05:47:26 by Latin00032 »

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 05:53:12 »
Yeah, the multi-coloured mods look great. I haven't looked at the first page in a while and the mock ups look fantastic. Surely this set will have no shortage of fans.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 06:25:12 »
Love the new name. I would be in for a set.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 10:11:57 »
Since things went for the more yellowy appearance for the alphas, I'm out.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #193 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 12:48:35 »

I'm afraid I have to agree. I much prefer the original colorway on the alphas. Lovin' the mods though.

Offline GMC

• Shiny.
« Reply #194 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 12:59:05 »
Any chance of adding a blank 1.75 mod in the base kit?

To use as right shift on an 1800 or pure board, or as a replacement for caps lock if anyone has an hhkb style gh60...
WASD V1 - waiting on R4... - MX Brown
KBT Pure - Zinc caps - MX Brown
Cherry G80-1800 ISO WKL - SkiData caps - MX Clear

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #195 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 13:17:05 »
It's part of the Tsangan.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #196 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 13:20:20 »

I'm afraid I have to agree. I much prefer the original colorway on the alphas. Lovin' the mods though.

The yellow-beige was the original for the mock ups.  Then someone noted that Solarized uses a different beige, and the lighter alphas were introduced for a time.  More people voted for the "original" darker beige "semi-solarized" alphas, and the set got renamed.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #197 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 13:31:17 »
Any chance we could get blanks for this? Just single units in YCC or the Dark Blue?
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #198 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 13:43:25 »
Last I saw, the google docs poll had things fairly even, with the darker semisolar being just a percent or two ahead. What was the final results?

I do really love the blue from the mods though.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 13:47:56 »
It was more like 60% to 40% last I looked.