Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3518440 times)

Offline dndlmx

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #1650 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 07:35:05 »
At least I haven't gone over to the other side yet. The other side meaning topre heaven (or is that topre hell? :-\)

Currently typing on my first Topre. I'm not as blown away, as I expected to be.  :-[

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1651 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 07:37:46 »
At least I haven't gone over to the other side yet. The other side meaning topre heaven (or is that topre hell? :-\)

Currently typing on my first Topre. I'm not as blown away, as I expected to be.  :-[

I will try a topre (toe-prah) board one day but am afraid I won't like it.

What don't you like about it?

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1652 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 07:37:57 »
your fingers will acclimatize to most switches, if you give it a chance.

that said, switch preference questions can't be answered by another person, just go with your gut feeling. Or, do what most people who come to GH end up doing eventually - get one of each. If you have everything and end up sticking to one board predominantly, you'd know that's the board for you.

alternatively, pray to the shark god for an answer.

lol all of this^

PS - I ALWAYS love your posts Larken :)

always glad to amuse you, Jocelyn :D

but seriously, if anyone told me that I should get one of everything a year or two ago, I'd think that they were crazy I would never do it *dejectedly stares at the cupboard I keep my boards in*. At least I haven't gone over to the other side yet. The other side meaning topre heaven (or is that topre hell? :-\)

It's different now. Now that I have seen the truth - ---- - *cue dramatic pause* don don don.

I realized that I'd already became one of the crazies. I finally found my one true board and switch. True story.

p.s. I thought leaving the striked-out parts would be more entertaining. And also true.

I can definitely appreciate the strike-through :)

Which board? Give us details; maybe I'll want to buy it :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1653 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 07:39:48 »

Maybe we should all pitch in and buy a topre board and do a tour then either auction it/sell it or if someone from the tour wants it they can settle up with everyone.  ;D

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1654 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 07:41:46 »
How come this thread isn't stickied yet?

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1655 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 07:45:22 »

Maybe we should all pitch in and buy a topre board and do a tour then either auction it/sell it or if someone from the tour wants it they can settle up with everyone.  ;D

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This^ It should be stickied in every appropriate forum too imo  :p

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #1656 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 07:48:35 »
I will try a topre (toe-prah) board one day but am afraid I won't like it.

What don't you like about it?

It's a little mushy, I dunno. Maybe I need to give it time.

HHKB, I got a decent deal. I'm gonna try it for a couple weeks. Supposedly these have a break-in period?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1657 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 07:52:04 »

And it should be on the required reading list for noobs.

Maybe captain should just offer a noob class once a week that all noobs have to go through.....keyboard boot camp if you will :p

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like the new Leopold FC660C I could have purchased it for ~$200 from EK and if we split that with 10 people thats $20 plus shipping it around the country,  I guess I could buy one and rent it to people for $20 + shipping a week to see if they like it  :-*
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 May 2013, 07:56:17 by ray4jc »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1658 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 07:54:57 »
crap...double post  :'(

Offline Larken

« Reply #1659 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 08:03:52 »

It's a little mushy, I dunno. Maybe I need to give it time.

I heard a few topre owners say the exact same thing about the mushiness (and how it somehow feels like a rubber-dome, except its' more subtle - which explains the underwhelmed response). But they all ended up loving their topres after 2-3 weeks and never came back to cherry mx.

A HHKB's a really nice board, enjoy it :)

Qn: I'm not familiar with topres at all. Does it actually require a break in period for the keyboard? Or is it the user of the keyboard that gets broken in? (Serious question. Even if it sounds like a joke).
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1660 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 08:17:36 »

I'm not sure but I'm flattered/excited that you think that it should be. I really love what this has become. ^__^

I'm doing a tour that includes a 55g Topre keychain soon. I know it's not a full board but I think it's a good start. That being said, a Topre board tour would be pretty cool. Maybe you should get an IC together ray4jc?

Lights off

Show Image

Can someone do a similar picture on a Ducky Shine 2 or other keyboard with reversed switches (LEDs at the top)? I'm wondering if putting the LED right under the keycap legend makes it readable in the dark, or if the printing just doesn't have enough contrast when backlit.

I don't have a Ducky but I think if I flip the caps upside down I can get the same effect. I don't think it will be that visible. But we'll try it later unless someone beats me to it first.

If he is just wanting a picture of the ducky shine II lit up in the dark I'm sure I can do that....but not until the boss leaves :p

Yes please!!

If you live near a MicroCenter, I recommend you trying out a full board with Blacks on it. A switch is a nice start but you won't really know until you try a full board. ^__^

I don't have anything cool like that near me.  :rolleyes:

alternatively, pray to the shark god for an answer.

Okay how's this?

Our shark, who art in geekhack,
hallowed be thy fin.
Thy Keyboard come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in the sea
Give us this day our daily keyboards.
And forgive us our money spending,
as we forgive those who use rubberdomes.
Yadda yadda...

Then I ask about the switches and stuff?

How you communicate with the GirlShark is between you, the GirlShark, and SharkPope. That being said, that was lovely rofl. Visit it's Church and marvel in it's glory.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 May 2013, 08:23:13 by CPTBadAss »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1661 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 08:22:02 »

I'm doing a tour that includes a 55g Topre keychain soon. I know it's not a full board but I think it's a good start. That being said, a Topre board tour would be pretty cool. Maybe you should get an IC together ray4jc?

I dunno I've only been here for like 7 weeks don't know if I have enough 'fame' to qualify for posting an IC  ???

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1662 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 08:23:37 »
So make your bones on this tour? ^__^

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #1663 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 08:40:58 »
I heard a few topre owners say the exact same thing about the mushiness (and how it somehow feels like a rubber-dome, except its' more subtle - which explains the underwhelmed response). But they all ended up loving their topres after 2-3 weeks and never came back to cherry mx.

I will probably still use cherry regardless, for gaming. I like LED's for playing in the dark.

Qn: I'm not familiar with topres at all. Does it actually require a break in period for the keyboard? Or is it the user of the keyboard that gets broken in? (Serious question. Even if it sounds like a joke).

Not a bad question.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1664 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 11:23:12 »
Is the HPE87 plate mounted or PCB?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1665 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 11:23:31 »
Is the HPE87 plate mounted or PCB?

Plate. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1666 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 11:31:50 »
Thanks, jd.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1667 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 11:42:00 »
Jd slow down! Everyone's gonna think we can answer questions in 18 seconds :P. Or maybe we just need to mind meld...

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #1668 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 12:17:34 »
Do you guys always clean out the flux residue from the PCB after soldering?  If so what do you guys use?

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1669 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 12:24:34 »
Do you guys always clean out the flux residue from the PCB after soldering?  If so what do you guys use?

I don't, but I don't use separate flux, just rosin core solder. If you do need to clean it, use 90%+ isopropyl alcohol and Kimwipes.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1670 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 12:28:36 »

I also don't wipe after soldering. Typically I just leave it on. I'm not picky as long as it works ^__^

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #1671 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 20:05:12 »
How you communicate with the GirlShark is between you, the GirlShark, and SharkPope. That being said, that was lovely rofl. Visit it's Church and marvel in it's glory.

Who is SharkPope??  :eek:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1672 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 20:14:44 »
Read the great book of Halverson, neophyte, and you will reach enlightenment...or just a wet fin ^__^

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1673 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 20:39:23 »
I didn't know this became Simple Questions, Simple Falsities.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1674 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 20:41:19 »

^

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1675 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 20:43:13 »

There cannot be light without the dark. We need you just as bad as we need the GirlShark, Anti-WizBro. Don't take it personally. <3

Offline eRadicatedZomBiE

• It's OK, I'm A Doctor.
« Reply #1676 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 21:11:10 »
In the market for a soldering station, which I want to continue to build on...

My question is are 2in1's or 4in1's any good? I know in other hobbies the combined pieces are looked down upon. I just wanted to know if they were any good? Get everything at one shot or should I part it out?
I also understand personal preference just didn't know if I should steer clear of the multi-systems. I'm currently looking at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/X-TRONIC-9020-XTS-SOLDERING-STATION-EXTRACTOR/dp/B00A2VQA24/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1368928624&sr=8-8&keywords=hot+air+soldering+station
CM QFR | WASD V1 | Flico MJ2 LE Blue | Ducky 78 | Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE  |Phantom |
Ergodox

My WTB Thread

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1677 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 21:30:08 »
Have you looked at the Living Soldering Thread at all? Might give you some suggestions on what you might like in addition to the 2-in-1s and 4-in-1s. I don't have an expereince with the multi-stations. I use just a soldering iron, braid, and a sponge for wiping. Nothing too fancy here.

Offline eRadicatedZomBiE

• It's OK, I'm A Doctor.
« Reply #1678 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 21:37:21 »
Have you looked at the Living Soldering Thread at all? Might give you some suggestions on what you might like in addition to the 2-in-1s and 4-in-1s. I don't have an expereince with the multi-stations. I use just a soldering iron, braid, and a sponge for wiping. Nothing too fancy here.

Thank you, will check it out.
CM QFR | WASD V1 | Flico MJ2 LE Blue | Ducky 78 | Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE  |Phantom |
Ergodox

My WTB Thread

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1679 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 21:58:24 »

Thank you, will check it out.

Also check out WhiteFireDragon's YouTube channel where he shows how the soldering process might look when you're modding your board.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1680 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:21:10 »
1. Are fully lubricated MX Blacks "easier" to type on?  In other words, is friction a factor to their stiffness or only the spring stiffness itself? (practically-speaking)

2. Do o-rings, maybe even thicker ones, help make MX Blacks easier on fingers by preventive excessive downward motion?

3. Are MX Blacks completely identical to Reds with the exception of plastic color and included springs?
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:24:49 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1681 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:26:48 »
1. Are fully lubricated MX Blacks "easier" to type on?  In other words, is friction a factor to their stiffness or only the spring stiffness itself? (practically-speaking)

2. Do o-rings, maybe even thicker ones, help make MX Blacks easier on fingers by preventive excessive downward motion?

1) I think they just make the whole acutation feel smoother. Iirc from the MMB Lube Guide, you can lube both the points in the stem that cause friction as well as the spring, which is spring stiffness like you said. I'm not sure what you mean by the term "practically speaking".

2) O-rings do not make any switch easier to press down on or actuate. They reduce the travel distance and can change the bottom out. But the actuation force will be the same with or without the o-rings.

3) Yup!

And thanks for the link to WFD's video on lubing Sisbot. That man's YouTube channel is amazing :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:35:03 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1682 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:30:11 »
I  have no idea on the o-ring question, but I'd use the video by WFD below for lubing
Also, black stems are identical to reds :)

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1683 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:32:55 »
1) Of course lubed blacks will require less force than non-lubed, but even if you lubed them perfectly the actuation force will never be close to brown or red/blue switches.

2) If you mean excessive motion rather than excessive force, then yes, the O-rings will reduce motion due to reduced travel distance. The bottom out may also result in some minor rebound since they are basically rubber.

3) Yes.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #1684 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:36:31 »
Is there an LED version of Poker 2?

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1685 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:38:35 »
Yes but it has not been released yet. Release date TBA, but definitely exists.

See the PDF manual in this thread.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1686 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:38:42 »
Thanks!

By "practically speaking", I meant that most of the effort to actuate the probably comes from compressing the spring--not so much from the switch friction, as there's no tactile resistance--no bumps to overcome.

Also I didn't say o-rings would make actuation easier to reach--that would not change.  I did say "motion" in that exact term :) My question was about the overall effect of typing on stiff linear switches where actuation takes guesswork, and one might push down farther than necessary, exerting even more force.  O-rings, and particularly thicker ones, could decrease unnecessary travel distance past actuation and take out some of the guesswork, perhaps alleviating extra finger stress.  Just guessing.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1687 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:43:33 »

If you're asking if the Poker 2 is fully backlit, it looks like it. Check out the second picture in this thread.

Thanks!

By "practically speaking", I meant that most of the effort to actuate the probably comes from compressing the spring--not so much from the switch friction, as there's no tactile resistance--no bumps to overcome.

Also I didn't say o-rings would make actuation easier to reach--that would not change.  I did say motion in that exact term :) My question was about the overall effect of typing on stiff linear switches where actuation takes guesswork, and one might push down farther than necessary, exerting even more force.  O-rings, and particularly thicker ones, could decrease unnecessary travel distance past actuation and take out some of the guesswork, perhaps alleviating extra finger stress.  Just guessing.

Gotcha. Well I think that the actuation point is pretty easy to find in Reds and Blacks. It seems to be in the middle like the other MX switches. At least it felt like it when I tried then at Microcenter. I know you can learn to not bottom out on Reds and Blacks but I don't actually own a board that has either of these switches. Also, I'm super tired so I apologize for nit-picking grammar and terms ^__^.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1688 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:44:49 »
Not bottoming out on Reds is absurd. It takes a lot of effort to do. They're so light, and combined with them being linear, fuhgedaboutit.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1689 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:45:38 »
Not bottoming out on Reds is absurd. It takes a lot of effort to do. They're so light, and combined with them being linear, fuhgedaboutit.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #1690 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:45:47 »
Agreed, I hate my Reds for that reason.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1691 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:46:09 »
Maybe it's those little girly fingers. I should get some of those.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1692 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:51:29 »
I recently removed my 40A-R o-rings from my poker after having them on for a month. You are correct in that I am using more energy to type because of the increased travel.

So why did I remove them?

The short travel keys were too reminiscent of rubber domes. Over time I began to miss the solid sound and feel of each keypress. The sensation of the MX Switch was lessened in every way by the o-rings. The biggest factor was travel.

When I had the o-rings on, I left my number row untouched [just to see which I would prefer over time] and I found myself often looking forward to hitting those keys. They used more energy, and they decreased my typing speed by a small margin but I found out over time that these trade-offs were well worth it for the feeling of a long-travel typing experience.

When you remove the o-rings it's kind of like typing with an extra layer of air beneath your keys. It may slow you down and it may cause typing to be excessively tiring over long stretches, but just being able to experience the deeper dimensions of each individual keypress gives me some kind of satisfaction.

Just one guy's opinion, of course people have had wildly different experiences with o-rings. Personal preference really.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #1693 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:51:59 »

Thanks brah.

If you're asking if the Poker 2 is fully backlit, it looks like it. Check out the second picture in this thread.

More like: will I be able to get one, with actual lit characters?
Like the Pure with ABS keycaps.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1694 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:53:53 »

It's my honest opinion that it's highly likely.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1695 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:54:22 »

Thanks brah.

I believe they come both ways, though LEDs can be added to the one that doesn't come with them. Anyway, I'm fairly sure only the non LED flavor has been released, while the LED flavor will be released soon.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1696 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:56:05 »
I am pretty sure the Poker 2 will come in both backlit and non-backlit variations, since ShakeR from mechanicalkeyboards.com has verified that his Poker 2's coming in are PBT with no backlight. So far I haven't heard any word from any vendor about stocking the backlight version. But when it comes, I will definitely be in line for it.

Edit: XD Jocelyn beat me to the punch.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1697 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 23:58:26 »

The 4th picture in that thread looks like the bottom of my Pure caps where the legends are lit. That being said, a quick glance through that thread didn't reveal anymore details. I'm unsure. According to this thread, TechKeys will be carrying the Poker 2s soon. Maybe you could ask i3oilermaker or maybe he'll pop in here.

Also it appears Jocelyn and Lastpilot beat me to the punch but I'll post anyways to keep my post count up :P

Just one guy's opinion, of course people have had wildly different experiences with o-rings. Personal preference really.

I felt the same way: o-rings reduced the travel too much for my tastes. But I currently have soft-landing pads on my FC700R and I really like it.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1698 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 00:00:03 »
I recently removed my 40A-R o-rings from my poker after having them on for a month. You are correct in that I am using more energy to type because of the increased travel.

So why did I remove them?

The short travel keys were too reminiscent of rubber domes. Over time I began to miss the solid sound and feel of each keypress. The sensation of the MX Switch was lessened in every way by the o-rings. The biggest factor was travel.

When I had the o-rings on, I left my number row untouched [just to see which I would prefer over time] and I found myself often looking forward to hitting those keys. They used more energy, and they decreased my typing speed by a small margin but I found out over time that these trade-offs were well worth it for the feeling of a long-travel typing experience.

When you remove the o-rings it's kind of like typing with an extra layer of air beneath your keys. It may slow you down and it may cause typing to be excessively tiring over long stretches, but just being able to experience the deeper dimensions of each individual keypress gives me some kind of satisfaction.

Hm, I didn't really experience this with my OEM caps on MX Browns with 50A o-rings from Amazon / McMaster-Carr.  There was a very slight augmentation in feel, but mostly just in sound.  I've got 2 types of silicone o-rings on the way from IMSTO, so maybe I'll experience a stronger augmentation in key travel with them--to be seen.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #1699 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 00:01:37 »
I am pretty sure the Poker 2 will come in both backlit and non-backlit variations [...]

Do you game on your Poker, Lastpilot? If so, how do you feel about missing the function row? No big deal?

Question for anybody too.