Author Topic: [IC] GEECKERS TOOLING INVESTMENTS  (Read 30341 times)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
Re: GEECKERS TOOLING INVESTMENTS
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 21:46:23 »
How do hackerspaces manage to stay open? Because that's kind of what this sounds like -- sure, we might not be physically within the hackerspace, but we would be accessing the machinery in a similar way. If that's really our goal then people who want "access" would pay dues. That means making GH into some sort of profitable business. Maybe not profit so that mkawa can buy fancy clothes, but so that he can keep the lights on. Like a community bank. I don't think that's really what we want to do. Building strong relationships with manufacturers has been working very well so far, and that's a lot cheaper.

In that same vein, if creating our own hackerspace is in the cards, talk to the makerbot people and see what they have say?  They must have some advice on the subject.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 14:16:25 »
there's no question that in many ways this is a virtual hackspace, but one that actually works. hackerspaces in real life are generally filled with people who don't do anything. we make a lot of stuff here and we actually make it. hackerspaces charge for access largely because they have to pay rent. i would love to rent out an industrial space but there's no really no point in that because 90% of you couldn't walk in and use it.

geekhackers is technically a for-profit business, but the idea is and has been that it's a money aggregation mechanism so that bad things don't happen in barely organized group buys, and in theory so that next time geekhack.org needs money, i don't have to spent 3 months begging for it, because we can just take it out of geekhackers funds. group buys are the other money aggregation mechanism we have that aren't our home-grown vendors, and group buys are becoming increasingly dangerous to join, as i predicted about a year ago.

anyway, back to the for-profit-ness. if a compelling argument were worth making, california has a "for the benevolent public good" type of corporation, but the benefits of becoming one and the requirements are so hilariously vague it's clearly something that was passed in some bizarre law that will never be used by anyone. that said, geekhackers nor any of the other admin money-raising attempts have any danger of making money anytime soon. running this place is, to be frank, a money and time pit (although a very enjoyable one much of the time) for all involved.

i talk to the makerbot people regularly and for the most part they know me by name. they are aware of this place, that it has access to a makerbot that it is constantly breaking, and have comped me many parts that by all legal rights i should have had to pay for (and i have definitely paid for quite a few). i have one of the highest runtime hour makerbots in the wild, and definitely one of the most nonstandard. that said, we don't do advertisement, and they have not so far chosen to become part of the community (although they are incredibly short-handed, so it's hard to say whether this is a temporary or permanent decision).

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 14:43:26 »
running this place is, to be frank, a money and time pit (although a very enjoyable one much of the time) for all involved.

Put up a single banner ad in a place that makes logical sense and hopefully it would at least defray some of the hosting costs? That's not asking a lot. Even if the ads are not profit-generating, we could rotate ads linking to companies with whom we have (and wish to maintain) a good working relationship? I wouldn't mind an ad or two if it made the site less of a money pit.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 14:45:44 »
Put up a single banner ad in a place that makes logical sense and hopefully it would at least defray some of the hosting costs?

TeamLiquid does this and its really not that bad. The single banner ad isn't too horrible and intrusive. Or we as the die hard/active users could donate a few bucks monthly.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 14:50:40 »
Or perhaps to try and benefit geekhack and make classifieds as whole better implement some controls of buying and selling and charge a small fee for the service. Of course this may be more of a headache than not.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 14:52:54 »
Then we just have a poor version of eBay ray.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 14:58:05 »
Maybe there's a hackerspace that has the tools we need, or would be willing to house them?
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 15:00:34 »
Someone remind me on Sunday to send out an email. Something in a PM like "Hey email the machineshop lady". I might have a connection we could use.

FWIW, I went to my local hackerspace on Sunday and it was exactly like mkawa described. Liked the idea and talking about hacking more than building/hacking.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 15:16:06 »
I got to vote against powder coating as I never quite liked it. Unless done in a very clean setting you get defects and it chips easier than anodized, it increases the size of parts, dulls sharp corners, can't be used on most polymers etc

A CNC mill would be nice but I think we'd need a larger high end machine for many of our purposes. I recon a small CNC laser cutter would be more useful as there are more people who design those types of cases, it is easier to maintain and even a rather small one will quite easily fit a larger keyboard. Frankly, it also allows us to put in cardboard and make storage boxes or whatever we want where I believe a CNC mill would have fewer purposes. We could also engrave legends on caps if we align a bunch of them or whatever.

Edit: I think they are reasonably cheap up to around 80W. Above that the prices start to rocket.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 15:18:20 »
I think that if you don't want this to be a money pit, we would really need to list all the potential things it could make. For group buys, people will probably still use a shop to either make a plate or case to be produced in a reasonable amount. So probably that unless you manage to be able to produce cheap cases and/or offer cheap cutting service (for plates or cases made of stack of plates) in some volumes, then the interest would only be there if you could produce cheap prototypes versions of those (or in limited amount like < 10). Or maybe you could produce other types of parts, but I don't have any other parts in mind right now.

So I don't say it's not interesting, but those that really want to create new things right now end up finding a shop to do it. I am not sure this will change that much if you offer a service for special custom cnc/cutting because I don't think that you will manage to get the price down that much unless you spend a lot of your personal time doing it for free!

But maybe I am totally wrong and you could make some things much cheaper and then it would be interesting, but I am a little skeptical about it.

BTW, the cherry pbt keycaps was a joke ... thus the "tongue" smiley.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline JPG

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 15:21:07 »
I got to vote against powder coating as I never quite liked it. Unless done in a very clean setting you get defects and it chips easier than anodized, it increases the size of parts, dulls sharp corners, can't be used on most polymers etc

A CNC mill would be nice but I think we'd need a larger high end machine for many of our purposes. I recon a small CNC laser cutter would be more useful as there are more people who design those types of cases, it is easier to maintain and even a rather small one will quite easily fit a larger keyboard. Frankly, it also allows us to put in cardboard and make storage boxes or whatever we want where I believe a CNC mill would have fewer purposes. We could also engrave legends on caps if we align a bunch of them or whatever.

Edit: I think they are reasonably cheap up to around 80W. Above that the prices start to rocket.

I agree with the cutter. I think this would make prototyping much easier if we could get one that will enable to make prototypes at low cost. More so if it can cut metal and acrylic and other things.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 15:22:21 »
I think if we do get a milling service, we need to produce something like the KMAC, Cheat, or 356.  A PCB + case + plate that is comparable in quality.  Could be a spinoff of the next version of the Phantom.

I am just worried that if we did get this service, we wouldn't use it enough.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 19:12:08 »
Maybe you could try getting a mold for topre caps

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 20:37:42 »
running this place is, to be frank, a money and time pit (although a very enjoyable one much of the time) for all involved.

Put up a single banner ad in a place that makes logical sense and hopefully it would at least defray some of the hosting costs? That's not asking a lot. Even if the ads are not profit-generating, we could rotate ads linking to companies with whom we have (and wish to maintain) a good working relationship? I wouldn't mind an ad or two if it made the site less of a money pit.
to be clear, we will never ever ever ever ever ever have even a single banner ad or contract with any firm in such a way that would allow them to advertise on our site for a fee. geekhack.org is for geekhackers, by geekhackers, period.

polymers you really just have to shoot or set in the color you want them to be in. etching and metallization is a huge pita and basically gives you two options: nickel and chrome, and the layer depth (because it's NOT actually anodization) changes dimensions there too, so let's forget polymers. we have access to quite a few keycap houses if we want the polymers to be caps. if we want other polymer things, they are going to have to be cast thermosets or FFM-able. for the thermosets, i did consider a geeckers pressure pot before binge got one, and one of the crucial parts of building the powdercoat setup would be building a good easily transportable and use-anywhere compressor that has a lot of flexibility in terms of pressure capability and tool usage. one doesn't have to follow that with a blast cabinet. one could follow it with another pressure pot. binge and i for example played around with the idea of shipping around degassed partially cured silicone materials for home casting, but i suspect this will be quite tricky, not to ship around silicones, that's easy, but to keep them degassed.

so, other than molding thermosets and FFM (which we have i will note), there are metals. you have two options when finishing metals. you can anodize or paint. wet paint is out of the question at our scale. we have very limited access to custom color anodizing, but at the moment not enough to actually get it done. basically there is some hardware somewhere that i know of, but it was basically purchased for mimic to color a single board and it's been literally sitting since then and is inaccessible to anyone associated with geeckers or even mimic. if we anodize clear, i believe i can get that done locally for reasonable prices. there is a shop in culver that has a couple big tanks, one of which i'm guessing is on most of the time and dye-free. one-off color anodizing though is hilariously out of the question unless everyone wants to individually put the investment in hazardous materials and gigantic tubs that mimic did.

so we're back to powdering. the advantage of powdering is that it's an exceedingly simple, inexpensive process. you simple blast, clean, ground, and then shoot your charged powder. we have a couple hundred in powders already that were purchased when treble's shop was able to powdercoat, so we have a fair amount of color flexibility already, and powder is, as they say, cheap as chips. yes, it can be difficult to get a single coat job perfect, but one nice thing about powder is that you can mix, layer and depending on your charge and material, get variable thickness coatings from microns to an order over that. you can also do weird exotic materials like ceramic powder that are partially fired in a standard powder oven and then fully fired by some natural process, either a kiln, or as is most common, the part is a car exhaust component and the exhaust gases actually finish the fire (it's pretty damn cool actually if you think about it).

i agree that the more i think about it, our _own_ mill is out of the question. the size of our parts is simply too large. and our desired designs too complex. we would be much better served by channeling all our jobs to a single shop and keeping the jobs coming. the problem we have had so far is distribution. like most hackerspaces, there is definitely a certain amount of talk without action around here, and then, a lot of stepping away when the bill comes due. if we want to get reliable machining done we can't do this. we need to have regular solid designs incoming and repeated orders in the shops preferred quantities.

as far as laser cutters are concerned, we simply have access to a ton, and could not afford anything more powerful than 1/8" acrylic at our budget. what's the point in buying a not-very-cool cutter when we have access to such a variety of good ones. we have metal cutters, we have plastic cutters, we have film cutters, all we need are designs and money and to keep the jobs coming to our contacts so that they can justify doing business with us. i simply don't see a need for us to buy a cutter. i see a need for us to make our current cutters happier with our business. one thing you may not know about btw damorgue, is that IMS, a local metal supplier, actually has a 6-axis laser that can be used for prototyping or production. however, be prepared to pony up. if you don't _absolutely need_ six axes, the_beast's cutter is much better for metal.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 21:13:46 »
"Geekhack.org is for GHers by GHers, period."

Best line I've read today kawa.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 21:46:43 »
thank hashbaz and a marketing buddy of mine for it. the marketing buddy came up with it as a way to characterize what i was describing to him on the plane back from keycon. hashbaz independently came up with it last night. i like as much as fnf

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 22:32:15 »
Nah I'll just give you credit bro =P

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 06:39:44 »
to be clear, we will never ever ever ever ever ever have even a single banner ad or contract with any firm in such a way that would allow them to advertise on our site for a fee. geekhack.org is for geekhackers, by geekhackers, period.

I don't see how geekhack would stop being for geekhackers and by geekhackers if even a single advertising banner were to appear. Why should the website be a money pit? A pit for enthusiasm and time, sure, but why money? If it at least paid for its own hosting, I don't see how that would undermine who we are as a community. I don't see the connection, but, whatever.

More

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 06:49:03 »

I don't see how geekhack would stop being for geekhackers and by geekhackers if even a single advertising banner were to appear. Why should the website be a money pit? A pit for enthusiasm and time, sure, but why money? If it at least paid for its own hosting, I don't see how that would undermine who we are as a community. I don't see the connection, but, whatever.

I have no problem with an advert at the base of the page, aslong as its not eye-blinding. i.e. It is black or dark colours, or maybe the adverts leave when you sign up? Stops lurking, and you make monies of people coming here and plundering our wealth of knowledge, without giving anything back?
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 07:37:44 »
I have no problem with an advert at the base of the page, aslong as its not eye-blinding. i.e. It is black or dark colours, or maybe the adverts leave when you sign up? Stops lurking, and you make monies of people coming here and plundering our wealth of knowledge, without giving anything back?

Grandfather in everyone who is currently a registered member so that they have Control Panel Access that allows turning off "the ad". Lurkers without an account see the ad, and new members who make a $20 donation to GeekHack would have the option enabled. This way the people who are constitutionally unable to withstand the sight of a single, tasteful advertisement can rest easy, and the lurkers can help defray the cost of keeping the lights on.
More

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 08:28:35 »
While I'm all for supporting geekhack, I'd rather not make it one of those sites where there's really obnoxious ads and it's constantly bugging you to pay to turn them off. That's just my opinion though.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 08:30:26 »
While I'm all for supporting geekhack, I'd rather not make it one of those sites where there's really obnoxious ads and it's constantly bugging you to pay to turn them off. That's just my opinion though.
I don't think anyone wants that, and I don't think the admins even considered doing anything like that for a single second.

Banner ad at the bottom would be totally fine. I just wouldn't want clutter along the sides or anything getting in my face.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 08:31:56 »
I don't think anyone wants that, and I don't think the admins even considered doing anything like that for a single second.

Banner ad at the bottom would be totally fine. I just wouldn't want clutter along the sides or anything getting in my face.

QFT
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 11:12:10 »
ANYWAYS, on topic, kawa, what if you invested in like an car/auto paint spray gun so you could do plastic and metal? Not as cool as powdercoating but maybe much more versatile and perhaps useable for everyone.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 12:01:20 »
the problem with wet painting methods is that you have tons of overspray so you need a huge booth and then you have to bake under light at low temp for like 24 hours. it's much harder to wet paint than it is to dry paint. the middle ground is krylon acrylic-based paints, and you guys can do that at home (and i encourage you to! photoelectric has been dropping huge knowledge bombs on how to get incredible results with that process)

we won't ever be ad supported. in practice, what i've found is that when you let people put targeted banner ads on the site, they expect more than jjust an ad (and pageviews don't pay, it's clickthrough and purchase that pays out). the other thing is that every single marketer i've talked to has told me point blank that banner ads are dying if not dead. they have no faith in what are now the SOP methods for determining ROI from banners, and their feeling is that it will just be an annoying graphic that is useless to everyone within months (i have to correct them and say that if they discover that it's useless months from now, that is not the temporal point at which they become useless. they are useless right now and people just haven't caught up with this reality).

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 12:04:00 »
Hm. Maybe hand tools then? I know Photoelectric's mind bombs have been great.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 12:07:59 »
if you can find a useful handtool i don't already own i'll just buy it out of my own personal budget ;) (EXCEPT for a high quality bearing puller, i don't have one of those because the last time i needed one i bought a cheap one and i haven't pulled the strut off the fiat yet. only a matter of time though! anyway, that isn't geeckers related. geeckers DOES NOT PAY FOR MY FIAT). but if you're in the la area i'll give you rides in it fo' free ;)

ask nubs how scared i can make you in my tiny little girly car ;)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 12:54:37 »
Remember earlier when I said you're only there to break my heart? STILL HAPPENING. And Im not asking anyone, IM EXPERIENCING THE SCARE FOR MYSELF.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 18:48:00 »
you know, one thing to note is that we don't have to look at only big ideas. a lot of people have been shocked at the fact that their superlube can't be contained by my ad-hoc packaging mechanisms. one thing i could spend the money on is an industrial quality vacuum sealer and roll of poly tunnel. these things are so expensive that i was more-than-toying-with building one myself, but hakko, for example, has a really nice line of sealers that are made in japan and will basically solve this problem completely. basically no one will get leaky 1506 again. cost would be in the 3-500$ range (ideally it will accept vacuum and just do the cutting and impulse sealing), including the roll of high grade thick poly bags that will hold up to any kind of postal abuse you can think of.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 10:27:02 »
Just caught wind of this thread, and I'd like to say vacuum and pressure casting equipment is a serious asset.  People have known me for making keycaps, but recently I've been doing all kinds of small-scale prototyping and to have finished products come out in a few albeit time consuming steps is pretty rad.  I know kawa has a big brain and lots of ideas floating around, so given the right prototyping equipment to make molds or positives it would be very easy to make small production in a small space with this equipment.  The small production of which I speak would need a bigger pressure container and a nicer compressor, but you can get chemical/flame resistance and tensile strength from a lot of the thermosets on the market.  Silicone/urethane molds are not as expensive as say an alum mold, and even if a mold breaks in production it would be easy to cast a new mold from the master.

I've spoken with kawa about assisting him in making production of any sort of positive (eg shapeways construct), and I welcome the idea with open arms.  Keycaps are seriously cool, but like I mentioned earlier it is nice knowing I can do so much more with this.  We often don't turn to plastic cases for keyboards unless we're talking about acrylic, but wouldn't it be nice just to cast something and make it whatever color you want?
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 10:57:16 »
multiple colors even, as you've been playing around with binge.

the nice thing also, as we discussed, is that one incrementally reaches all point via the initial investment and future investment. compressed air is a must for pressure and vacuum pots, but also for spraying and blasting. ultrasonic cleaners (which i've spent the morning looking at) are excellent for cleaning up molds and also necessarily to get really spotless metal parts that can be grounded and then charge for excellent adhesion of powder paint.

otoh the sky is the limit here. we can do whatever we want -- geekhackers are smart and resourceful folk -- but we have to tier how we get there. it takes hard work, experimentation and incremental outlays with small project milestones to get to where we're doing big projects successfully

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 12:00:37 »
We often don't turn to plastic cases for keyboards unless we're talking about acrylic, but wouldn't it be nice just to cast something and make it whatever color you want?

Wow, Binge, you and I have been thinking exactly the same thing. I would be much more excited about having a cast ABS plastic case for the SmallFry keyboard than a layered acrylic case. Did you notice I asked regack to include some mounting holes in the PCB? A 40% keyboard just makes much more sense with a compact, lightweight housing than something either heavy, or bulky, or both. A keyboard that fits in your pocket would make much more sense housed in a tray-style ABS case.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 12:09:06 »
We often don't turn to plastic cases for keyboards unless we're talking about acrylic, but wouldn't it be nice just to cast something and make it whatever color you want?

Wow, Binge, you and I have been thinking exactly the same thing. I would be much more excited about having a cast ABS plastic case for the SmallFry keyboard than a layered acrylic case. Did you notice I asked regack to include some mounting holes in the PCB? A 40% keyboard just makes much more sense with a compact, lightweight housing than something either heavy, or bulky, or both. A keyboard that fits in your pocket would make much more sense housed in a tray-style ABS case.

Agreed, and it would allow some of us others that don't have access to pressure pots to try and make our own caps as well!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 12:11:50 »
abs is a thermoplastic. can't cast it. i can FFM cases, but my build plate needs most designs to be cut up.

what binge and i were talking about yesterday is getting a compressor and pressure pot setup that can built thermoSET molds that are as big as keyboard cases. so your keyboard case would be the same material (and have cool arbitrary details) as binge caps. they could also have cool mottled coloring and weird flexibility properties. the price of this is not cheap, but a lot cheaper than a small run of aluminum cases, because once you make the mold the marginal cost of casting another case is relatively small.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 12:14:51 »

Agreed, and it would allow some of us others that don't have access to pressure pots to try and make our own caps as well!
exactly. the idea is that you would give me a potentially multi-part solid, which i would ffm print and then smooth (i have a small experimental smoother in the works using acetone vapor, but want to attach this problem from the ultrasonic side as well) and i could try to build a cast for you based on my cleaned up FFM positive. it takes advantage of modern polymer technology much better than trying to mill metals, and gives us a path to go metal, because when i do things like build up air compressors, my aim is to do it _right_, and the idea would be to have something that could pressurize or vacuum out a pot, a bead blasting head or a powder sprayer.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 22:56:21 »
total wildcard: second makerbot or other ffm printer.

i know bots. i know the MBI design like the back of my hand and have enough spare parts to built another rep2x given only a metal frame. heck, my power supply is so overprovisioned that i could run two bots off the single supply.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 09:18:44 »
i have found a pressure vessel that will allow us to cast entire keyboards, friends.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#41665k74/=oqdweq

Offline JPG

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 09:20:29 »
Sounds like your on a quest kawa!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 09:22:57 »
always questing. dragon quest irl

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 09:23:15 »
kawa, you keep using it, so I'll ask: what's "FFM"? I googled it and the results were not helpful.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 09:24:27 »
i have found a pressure vessel that will allow us to cast entire keyboards, friends.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#41665k74/=oqdweq

Do eet! :))
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 09:27:28 »
Step up your 3D print game with this beast kawa :P

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 10:47:02 »
also referred to as FDM (fused deposition modeling) or fused filament modeling or fused filament fabrication. basically, all the printers we have take a polymer filter, extrude it and then layer that to create solids. i've been calling it FFM, *shrug* but ymmv. the basic idea is that we within reason we can create prototypes of arbitrary solids from computer solid models. +/- a pretty major tolerance obviously, but that can be worked around by hand, chemically, mechanically, etc. all we need to do is create solids, then shimmy around with the print button :D

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 10:48:10 »
Step up your 3D print game with this beast kawa :P
:|

the gigantic pressure vessel is pretty insane but also something we don't have the money for.

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:16:15 »
Is anodizing equipment a possibility?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:17:28 »
Is anodizing equipment a possibility?

We'd run into the same issue as the powdercoating equipment. It's possible to get it but are people going to use it?

Kawa, I think, has already voiced the opinion that he's not sure we'd be constantly using the powdercoating equipment.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:18:58 »
I think anodizing would be used more than powdercoating, what with aluminum cases and such.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:23:54 »
But you can powdercoat aluminum? And you can powdercoat other materials. You can only anodize metals.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:29:24 »
But you can powdercoat aluminum? And you can powdercoat other materials. You can only anodize metals.

I'm pretty sure you can powder coat anything that conducts electricity.

You can only anodize aluminum. If you anodized steel, it would turn to rust.

#yusonew?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:31:55 »
Its *possible* to anodize zinc. We might be able to figure that out and then anodize caps from say feng.

#getonmylevel

PS: I think you're right and you can powdercoat anything that conducts electricity. But I'm sure mkawa would've looked into this and can let us know.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:33:48 by CPTBadAss »