Author Topic: (GB) PENUMBRA SA KEYSET(shipping)  (Read 1395448 times)

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
Re: (GB) PENUMBRA SA KEYSET(lclosed)
« Reply #350 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 09:13:35 »
bunny I got an invoice but I already paid.  sending you pm...

sent you a pm

i think some people are confusing a confirmation email with an extra invoice

however if thats not the case, just send me the 2 paypal invoice numbers and ill look into it, but so far the other 2 people who said this just had a confirmation email that they were being invoiced, and then also an invoice
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #351 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 10:03:01 »
Just having the accents on the far left/right might be enough for me. What do you guys think about just getting rid of the completely vertical text altogether? I honestly think it'll look a little funny no matter what we put there.
Or even this http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/c8175e96a8519014af2341aaf7d56076
Show Image

I would be fine with that.  This is probably the smallest number of new unique keys we can get a way with.  Well we could also replace LEFT/RIGHT pair two identical ANYKEYs. Like this: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/c94e83a3a20ed0a5adce5d30031fc945
If I am counting right, that requires just 7 new key types.

The shift keys on the ergodox don't match the color scheme of the rest of the shift keys anymore. Does that bother anyone else?

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #352 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 10:03:47 »
Here's what I was working on before I passed out last night. I used the color pattern from the Hyper Fuse group buy.

« Last Edit: Mon, 16 December 2013, 10:19:08 by nuclearsandwich »

Offline jefferai

« Reply #353 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 10:22:16 »
Love it, except I'd suggest replacing Escape and |\ with something with neutral legend on it. Shifts will likely stay in the same place for most people, but I'm not sure about those two. Maybe Bunny and Lake?

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #354 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 10:48:37 »
anybody can answer this and i am sure it has already been covered.............

is the lead or production time about the same as normal GB's-- about 6-8 weeks?
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #355 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 10:53:07 »
Here's what I was working on before I passed out last night. I used the color pattern from the Hyper Fuse group buy.

Show Image

Looking good, I would replace the escape and |\ with something else, and needs legends for the remaining keys.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #356 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 11:09:01 »
Love it, except I'd suggest replacing Escape and |\ with something with neutral legend on it. Shifts will likely stay in the same place for most people, but I'm not sure about those two. Maybe Bunny and Lake?

Show Image

Looking good, I would replace the escape and |\ with something else, and needs legends for the remaining keys.

I'm not actually sure if we can get new legends, even text ones, without adding drastically to the cost of our already expensive set. So I'm not sure if I'll actually get away with LUKE, BUNNY, and LAKE keys. I did the RUN LUKE RUN thing totally on accident (I was so tired) but I now love it enough that if Bunny's okay with it I think I can pay for the legend to be cut.

Here's another mockup with F numbers on the subalpha keys. If you suggest other legends, I'll make you a mockup for them. I'm really hesitant to add legends to the remaining keys in the thumb cluster because they're going to be the most heavily remapped.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #357 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 11:11:44 »
Now i'm feeling regret that i didn't pick up a set of these.. I should have bought a set when i had the chance, I thought about it too hard.
Show Image

I ordered a second set that you can have, especially if you're gonna go ergodox with us.

Offline mooswa

« Reply #358 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 11:18:23 »
Just having the accents on the far left/right might be enough for me. What do you guys think about just getting rid of the completely vertical text altogether? I honestly think it'll look a little funny no matter what we put there.
Or even this http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/c8175e96a8519014af2341aaf7d56076
Show Image

I would be fine with that.  This is probably the smallest number of new unique keys we can get a way with.  Well we could also replace LEFT/RIGHT pair two identical ANYKEYs. Like this: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/c94e83a3a20ed0a5adce5d30031fc945

The shift keys on the ergodox don't match the color scheme of the rest of the shift keys anymore. Does that bother anyone else?

My thinking was that MD PCBs are blue, so it would much better with that blue association in mind some people, me including, have.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #359 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 11:22:25 »
Show Image

My thinking was that MD PCBs are blue, so it would much better with that blue association in mind some people, me including, have.

Gotcha, what do you think of the current mods? The ERGODOX key got displaced by BUNNY key but there is a 1x
ERGO
DOX
key. If the ERGODOX key is preferred we just need something to go on the opposite key.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #360 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 12:55:55 »
What do you guys think of this:

I tried to maintain a balance between unique keys for both sides while maintaining some symmetry as symmetry also translates to lower costs.

I like the lower one better.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #361 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 12:59:39 »
^^ But doesn't it cost quite a bit to get those custom legends??

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #362 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:04:15 »

Which legends are custom? I think maybe only Thumb, Cluster, Left, Right, Bunny, Lake, Luke. All others already exist.

I would suggest doing a fund raiser maybe if we can decide on a standard for future ErgoDox kits with slight changes depending on each GB.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #363 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:16:14 »

Which legends are custom? I think maybe only Thumb, Cluster, Left, Right, Bunny, Lake, Luke. All others already exist.

I would suggest doing a fund raiser maybe if we can decide on a standard for future ErgoDox kits with slight changes depending on each GB.

Every new legend is expensive and it's per legend per key size. (source codyeatsworld)

Plus, we can't use the 7bit shape legends and would have to cut our own. I'm down to make a couple keys (LUKE, lol) but I'd be really hesitant to use *this* group buy to create custom ergodox sets because we have so few people and a lot of us, myself included, are new ergodox users.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:18:18 by nuclearsandwich »

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #364 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:27:22 »
the buy is technically back up to buy for a couple hours to make room for jwaz, so you can now order again, this will only be open for an hour or 2 though, so if you wanted to sneak in now is the time

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #365 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:32:35 »
What do you guys think of this:

Show Image

I tried to maintain a balance between unique keys for both sides while maintaining some symmetry as symmetry also translates to lower costs.

I like the lower one better.

can we keep mockups to just the keys needed in the ergodox add on, as opposed to a complete set

just so i have an idea as to what is being added etc

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #366 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:35:39 »
I'm confused.

If this GB is almost complete how are you going to include an ergodox kit at the end?

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #367 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:37:17 »
I'm confused.

If this GB is almost complete how are you going to include an ergodox kit at the end?

there was no ergodox kit in the buy, some people wanted it, so i have agreed to do it, we will come up with a final kit, and then spend a couple of days getting a list of epople who want it once the kit is finalised, once i have that number, ill get a quote and invoice people for the dox kit

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #368 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:40:24 »

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #369 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:42:13 »
Show Image

i think we should change the bunny and lake keys, nobody wants that

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #370 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:46:34 »
I can't think of anything else, including "Ryan", I think these three keys needs to be changed, maybe just replace "Ryan" with another "Code" key, and replace Bunny and Lake with "Solarized" perhaps and keep costs low.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #371 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:47:18 »
Show Image

MOZ I'm yielding mockup/legend duty to you because I'm totally not into shelling out for so many new legends on the back of another buy. Also you're doing that ridiculously quickly.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #372 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:48:22 »
I can't think of anything else, including "Ryan", I think these three keys needs to be changed, maybe just replace "Ryan" with another "Code" key, and replace Bunny and Lake with "Solarized" perhaps and keep costs low.

Can we just put legends on the blue for accent colors and leave everything else blank?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #373 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:52:21 »
Haha, I'm just having fun here bro, I haven't even participated in the GB :P

I a however interested in developing a somewhat standard legend set for ErgoDox kits; maybe this isn't the best thread, however we do have something going here.

BTW, is there any source mentioning we can't use the 7-bit legends?

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #374 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 13:55:10 »
Haha, I'm just having fun here bro, I haven't even participated in the GB :P

I a however interested in developing a somewhat standard legend set for ErgoDox kits; maybe this isn't the best thread, however we do have something going here.

BTW, is there any source mentioning we can't use the 7-bit legends?

consider me your source

saying we will not be using 7bit legends

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #375 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 14:01:13 »
also, with the dox kit, realistically we will get somewhere between 5 and 15 orders for it total

so custom legends will really add up, a couple will split between people nicely, but when you get into a situation where its nearly 1 per person, itll become too costly for most to order

jsut something to keep in mind

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #376 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 14:04:30 »
In that case, I would suggest going with this:
Can we just put legends on the blue for accent colors and leave everything else blank?
Unless we can come up with a standard set which is crowd funded as it would cost way too much to get the new legends for this GB only.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: (GB) PENUMBRA SA KEYSET
« Reply #377 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 14:04:39 »
Wow,  I like all the ergodox kit discussion!
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 December 2013, 14:18:22 by dorkvader »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #378 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 14:07:45 »
Bunny posted exactly what I was saying. Maybe from the couple of designs posted so far, most of which are somewhat similar, you can tell us which legends are available, without the cost of new legends, if you have that information. Sorry for being so troublesome, if you want I can take this discussion to another thread.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #379 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 14:10:37 »

This set has completely re-used legends from the rest of Penumbra with the exception of RIGHT and LEFT in 1.5x. It also makes judicious use of blanks but makes sure we get the accent colors.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 December 2013, 14:17:22 by nuclearsandwich »

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #380 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 14:58:28 »
Show Image

This set has completely re-used legends from the rest of Penumbra with the exception of RIGHT and LEFT in 1.5x. It also makes judicious use of blanks but makes sure we get the accent colors.

would people not prefer blanks to f row keys?

Offline jaymatter

« Reply #381 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 15:01:55 »
Show Image

I like this set, with blanks instead of F keys and the 1x thumb keys, and no shifts on the pinkies - mine is on my left thumb. Why not "GEEK" and "HACK" instead of the shifts to keep the accent colors?
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 December 2013, 15:04:25 by jaymatter »

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #382 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 15:06:00 »
Show Image

I would but seemingly everyone else wants *something* on as many keys as possible.

Offline jaymatter

« Reply #383 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 15:09:09 »
Show Image

I would but seemingly everyone else wants *something* on as many keys as possible.

Not I. If there is an option for printed alphas and blank modifiers, I'd order that, even if it means missing the accent colors.   :thumb:

Just a thought - what if the accent colors were found in four mod keys per hand? Maybe on the outer row? So the whole key color is the accent color, and the rest of the mod keys are the blue.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #384 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 15:17:10 »
Show Image

Not I. If there is an option for printed alphas and blank modifiers, I'd order that, even if it means missing the accent colors.   :thumb:

Just a thought - what if the accent colors were found in four mod keys per hand? Maybe on the outer row? So the whole key color is the accent color, and the rest of the mod keys are the blue.

Seems like a solid suggestion

Offline jaymatter

« Last Edit: Mon, 16 December 2013, 16:21:14 by jaymatter »

Offline Lumune

« Reply #386 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 15:37:40 »
Bunny, will you be telling us what keys you are going to add to the sets or we have to wait until we receive the package to find out?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #387 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 15:42:50 »
For legend word ideas: "function", "compose", "clear", "cut", "abort", "break", "resume", "status", "call".
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #388 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 15:46:01 »
Bunny, will you be telling us what keys you are going to add to the sets or we have to wait until we receive the package to find out?

Working in the final mock ups now

Offline jaymatter

« Reply #389 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 16:16:58 »
Here's another idea:

I just love my blank keys. I'd even go for blank alphas. May just have to place a SP order later too... :D

Offline mooswa

« Reply #390 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 16:24:14 »
Show Image

I also would prefer blanks to f rows.  Bunny, isn't adding more new unique key types will make it significantly more expensive?  Any idea by how much?
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 December 2013, 16:26:54 by mooswa »

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #391 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 16:31:01 »
Here's another idea:

Show Image

I just love my blank keys. I'd even go for blank alphas. May just have to place a SP order later too... :D

i really like that

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #392 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 16:36:28 »
Seems like a solid suggestion

(Unintentional?) Pun of the year.

I didn't realize we could use the legend GB colors for the keys without costing extra $$.
Here's another idea:

Show Image

i really like that

That one looks sweet! With the one downside being we don't see the accent colors juxtaposed against the dark blue base. I'll work these into the alphaless mockup.

Offline Apexx

« Reply #393 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 16:40:28 »
Invoiced paid. Now the worst part begins!  :)

Offline jaymatter

« Reply #394 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 16:44:28 »
One more, with the magenta in on a key, and with actual hex colors pulled from the Solarized page:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/852d0596b6e551d670faa16330943ee3

Offline mooswa

« Reply #395 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 16:47:25 »
That would be too much for me.  I'd want something more subtle.

Offline zachm

« Reply #396 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 16:47:59 »
in it to win it! thanks bunny, this looks great :)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #397 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 16:53:48 »
Here's another idea:

Show Image

Neat idea!  Those are from the solarized palette:

Here's an alternative to maintain the symmetry of orange on the Geek Hack caps with the thumb cluster:

48197-0

P.S.: I like your 2nd one even more!

« Last Edit: Mon, 16 December 2013, 16:56:18 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline jaymatter

« Reply #398 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 17:01:41 »
That would be too much for me.  I'd want something more subtle.

What if every coloured key had a blue alternate. So anybody could choose what coloured keys they wanted to use, and put blues in where they wanted.

I guess I'm just trying to avoid keys with text on them, that don't mean anything to me.

Except "GEEK" and "HACK". You guys mean something to me :D

Offline mooswa

« Reply #399 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 17:03:39 »

This is about as colorful as I am willing to go :-)
Edit: of course I've screwed up the right hand home row.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 December 2013, 17:07:13 by mooswa »