Author Topic: Anybody know about Arduino converter thinggy that is cheaper than teensy?  (Read 7264 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Hi Everyone who knows stuff

I have been hearing that there is an arduino chip thing that is supposed to be much cheaper than a teensy and which can be used to replace the teensy.

Is it anything like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FT232RL-USB-TO-232-Arduino-download-cable-USB-to-Serial-adapter-module-US5-/190910871629?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

I would like to hear any information or advice anyone has!
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline jadow

Re: Anybody know about Arduino converter thinggy that is cheaper than teensy?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 11:58:00 »
https://www.google.com/search?q=FT232RL

when in doubt. Google for its datasheet. This seems to lack a micro-controller at 1st glance. Something you will most definitely need.

I think you are looking for the raspberry pi.

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Raspberry-Pi-Arduino-Connection/

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 12:57:18 »
This nice thread at DT have quite a few teensy alternative, perhaps what you are thinking about is one of those
http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/teensy-2-0-alternatives-atmega32u4-t4253.html

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 13:41:59 »
I think you are looking for this guy.

Just do a search in ebay for "atmega32u4" and you will find more alternatives.
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 14:08:14 »
I've seen this linked as well, if small size is needed:
http://digistump.com/products/1
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 01:03:44 »
Um everyone who replied...

I appreciate your replies! But I am a techno peasant. I can understand how to fix them up physically like a teensy, but what about the programming part? Surely Soarer's code won't work with different converter? (I understand that some technically trained people will know what to do, but I don't, so I am only inquiring so that next time I want a teensy-like thing that is cheaper than teensy, at least I have options.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline jadow

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 03:31:17 »
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensyduino.html

well. as long as the pin mappings are similar it should work. Since the code is in HEX.

U just need to find something to flash the prog in. I don't quite rmb what to use.

Offline regack

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 08:32:52 »
Are you trying to replace a teensy pin-for-pin or just some kind of alternative?

Offline Soarer

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 08:56:19 »
Pro Micro works. Use ArduinoBuilder to load the hex, selecting Leonardo as the target (I think).

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 12:11:00 »
In layman's term, can I use this

Just do a search in ebay for "atmega32u4" and you will find more alternatives.

In layman's term, does that work exactly as teensy? or there is a necessary step needed? Sorry I'm new to this.

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 14:37:59 »
Pro Micro works. Use ArduinoBuilder to load the hex, selecting Leonardo as the target (I think).

It's $4 more expensive than a Teensy 2.0... ;)

Wow, now that one is CHEAP (4.99 for the same board mentioned above.) Wonder what the catch is...
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 December 2013, 14:43:08 by Grendel »
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 14:40:04 »

It's $4 more expensive than a Teensy 2.0... ;)

From the thread linked by Soarer "I got 5 for $42 delivered" = $8.40 => $7.60 less than a $16 Teensy

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 14:45:51 »
Edited my post while you posted -- agodinhost's link lets you get it for 4.99 shipped in single quantities. Both cheaper versions are chinese clones tho.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 December 2013, 14:49:17 by Grendel »
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline Soarer

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 18:07:34 »
I have no idea how they can sell those Pro Micros so cheaply - they're even cheaper now than when BCG bought them - but they appear to work just fine, and the soldering looks OK. Even just buying the ATmega32U4 chip, you'd have to buy a lot to get them at that price! The design is open source, so it's not fair to call the direct-from-China ones knock-offs or clones :)

Offline bcg

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 10:13:58 »
Um everyone who replied...

I appreciate your replies! But I am a techno peasant. I can understand how to fix them up physically like a teensy, but what about the programming part? Surely Soarer's code won't work with different converter? (I understand that some technically trained people will know what to do, but I don't, so I am only inquiring so that next time I want a teensy-like thing that is cheaper than teensy, at least I have options.

Teensyduino won't work unless you install the halfKay bootloader onto the chip - and if you're able to install a new bootloader you might as well just load the hex directly onto the chip without a bootloader at all.

Not sure about ArduinoBuilder - never tried that.

Here are instructions about how to load a hex onto a Pro Micro (or any board with the Leonardo bootloader) directly with avrdude:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48650.msg1060586#msg1060586

:wq!

Offline bcg

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 10:59:36 »
Also... on about half of the Pro Micro boards that I've purchased... the micro USB has broken off very easily.  Even SparkFun has complaints on their product page about that on the genuine article.  They attributed it to a tendency of the solder around that connector to not reflow properly.

Given that, I have had good results reinforcing the connector with superglue.  First test the board by carefully inserting a micro USB cable.  An LED should light up.  If it does your board is probably working ok.  You can also check if its recognized by your computer.

If its working, CAREFULLY apply superglue across the 5 pins behind the connector, and at the corners of the connector and any other place that you could get good contact between glue, connector, and board.  Let dry for a while and should be good to go.  I've not had any break after that is done.  I say CAREFULLY apply the glue because you don't want any to get inside the connector and it is riddled with little openings.  If you get too much glue in there you won't be able to insert a cable.  Or you could just put a cable or adapter in before applying glue and glue the thing in place.  Whatever makes you smile.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 18:39:52 »
Thanks for this. I just got mine in the mail today, but I won't be able to mess with it for a week or 2.

I love pjrc and the Teensy, but $6 delivered in 3 weeks vs $22 delivered in 72 hours is something to consider.

edited
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 December 2013, 08:33:20 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline bcg

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 01:49:45 »
Mine has a mini-USB plug, not a micro, but I guess that is irrelevant.

If you get a chance can you post a picture?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 08:32:59 »
If you get a chance can you post a picture?

Wait, no, you're right. I am an old man and did not have on my reading glasses when I opened it at the PO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121199913346?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline bcg

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 13:34:19 »
Wait, no, you're right. I am an old man and did not have on my reading glasses when I opened it at the PO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121199913346?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Oh, too bad... BTW here is the pins for soarer's converter on the Pro Micro:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 19:09:14 »
Oh, too bad.

Why is that too bad? I am irritated with mini-USB and figure that micro is certainly no worse, and maybe significantly better. Attachment to the board is one thing, long-term serviceability is another. I figure to install it once and forget it.

Thanks for the pinout!

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 19:56:12 »

Oh, too bad... BTW here is the pins for soarer's converter on the Pro Micro:

Show Image

Sweet. So we can use this $10 thing instead of a $20 dollar teensy

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 22:18:22 »

So we can use this $10 thing instead of a $20 dollar teensy

The price differential is greater, but shipping and service from pjrc is infinitely better. And you get it in hours instead of weeks.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 22:28:35 »

The price differential is greater, but shipping and service from pjrc is infinitely better. And you get it in hours instead of weeks.

I plan to get my teensy from jdcarpe's GB so time isn't an issue. These two work the same and won't be any slower right?

Offline bcg

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 12:58:05 »

I plan to get my teensy from jdcarpe's GB so time isn't an issue. These two work the same and won't be any slower right?

If you are a beginner or looking for something to hack around with I would suggest just spending the extra money on a teensy.  It will be MUCH easier to use, these things don't even have a reset button on them.   Also these don't have enough IO pins to be useful for driving a keyboard matrix, they have a flimsy connector, and are harder to program because if their inferior bootloader.  That said if you are looking for something small and cheap to leave inside your project and you don't mind these differences it is a great option.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 15:14:59 »
If you are a beginner or looking for something to hack around with I would suggest just spending the extra money on a teensy. 

Every time I have ordered Teensys from pjrc, I have been astonished that they are delivered in literally 3 days, occasionally 4, from the West Coast to Georgia.

Besides that, they have lots of hardware for sale and and the firmware is free on the site, as well as complete and easy-to-understand instructions.

Paul even took back a warranty Teensy that, truth be told, I probably screwed up myself.

They are a great and highly recommended.

http://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy_pins.html

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 05:53:14 »

If you are a beginner or looking for something to hack around with I would suggest just spending the extra money on a teensy.  It will be MUCH easier to use, these things don't even have a reset button on them.   Also these don't have enough IO pins to be useful for driving a keyboard matrix, they have a flimsy connector, and are harder to program because if their inferior bootloader.  That said if you are looking for something small and cheap to leave inside your project and you don't mind these differences it is a great option.

I agree, Teensy's are easy to use, shipped fast and have lots of nice features, so they're well worth the money IMHO.

On the other hand, I do have quite a few projects that these cheaper units would be perfect for, it's a slightly different target market. Just like Soarer, I am surprised at how cheaply they can offer them, though.

Do you think using an iron and a little extra solder would improve the connector mount strength?
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 06:02:00 »
Teensyduino won't work unless you install the halfKay bootloader onto the chip - and if you're able to install a new bootloader you might as well just load the hex directly onto the chip without a bootloader at all.

Not sure about ArduinoBuilder - never tried that.

Here are instructions about how to load a hex onto a Pro Micro (or any board with the Leonardo bootloader) directly with avrdude:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48650.msg1060586#msg1060586

How would one go about loading the HalfKay bootloader onto one of these cheap Pro Micros? I bought 3 of them.

I don't particularly want the bootloader for any reason, but can you develop using all the teensy libraries then just directly load the hex onto a Pro Micro? I'm a bit of a newbie to all this as well, think there's something I'm not understanding about how the bootloader/hex/etc works.

I also bought a teensy 3.1 to support pjrc btw.

Offline Soarer

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 06:28:36 »
You can compile for Teensy 2 and load the hex onto a pro micro - they have the same cpu.

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 11:15:10 »
I have no idea how they can sell those Pro Micros so cheaply - they're even cheaper now than when BCG bought them - but they appear to work just fine, and the soldering looks OK. Even just buying the ATmega32U4 chip, you'd have to buy a lot to get them at that price! The design is open source, so it's not fair to call the direct-from-China ones knock-offs or clones :)
I do have more than 15 here and never had problems with. Sometimes the dammed USB connector get loose but it's one common issue with this kind of chinese board.

The main difference (as far as I can tell) is the bootloader (teensy uses some tiny black magic assembly code that is not open source).

I would love to see one ergodox using this board, actually my dream is to replace teensy totally!
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 18:33:12 »
Also... on about half of the Pro Micro boards that I've purchased... the micro USB has broken off very easily.  Even SparkFun has complaints on their product page about that on the genuine article.  They attributed it to a tendency of the solder around that connector to not reflow properly.

Given that, I have had good results reinforcing the connector with superglue.  First test the board by carefully inserting a micro USB cable.  An LED should light up.  If it does your board is probably working ok.  You can also check if its recognized by your computer.

If its working, CAREFULLY apply superglue across the 5 pins behind the connector, and at the corners of the connector and any other place that you could get good contact between glue, connector, and board.  Let dry for a while and should be good to go.  I've not had any break after that is done.  I say CAREFULLY apply the glue because you don't want any to get inside the connector and it is riddled with little openings.  If you get too much glue in there you won't be able to insert a cable.  Or you could just put a cable or adapter in before applying glue and glue the thing in place.  Whatever makes you smile.

If I just plug it in and out max 10 times, will it break or no?

Offline bcg

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 21:33:37 »
If I just plug it in and out max 10 times, will it break or no?

Probably not.  Just be careful and insert the cable gently and hold the connector in place as you do it.  Just in case I would by two.  Two is one and one is none.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 21:37:02 »
EDIT: How the **** did I post that here?

Wrong thread.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 January 2014, 21:44:37 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 21:48:44 »
I do have more than 15 here and never had problems with. Sometimes the dammed USB connector get loose but it's one common issue with this kind of chinese board.

The main difference (as far as I can tell) is the bootloader (teensy uses some tiny black magic assembly code that is not open source).

I would love to see one ergodox using this board, actually my dream is to replace teensy totally!

From what soarer just said, couldn't you just load the hex of the ergodox onto it? Not sure how much wiring rearrangement would be necessary though. Hopefully all the necessary pins have a hole on the Pro Micro. Document how you did it for everyone if you do it, cause I'd like to do that as well!!

edit: I just checked and from how I see it, you need 17 digital outs for an ergodox. Unfortunately the Pro Micro doesn't have enough pins. Damn.

It'd still work for Soarer's converter though.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 January 2014, 06:47:37 by clickclack123 »

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 07:02:29 »

From what soarer just said, couldn't you just load the hex of the ergodox onto it? Not sure how much wiring rearrangement would be necessary though. Hopefully all the necessary pins have a hole on the Pro Micro. Document how you did it for everyone if you do it, cause I'd like to do that as well!!

edit: I just checked and from how I see it, you need 17 digital outs for an ergodox. Unfortunately the Pro Micro doesn't have enough pins. Damn.

It'd still work for Soarer's converter though.
There are 16 pins ready to be used - we could do a little hack soldering the pin that is missing into the uC (it's not that hard).

Sure, I'm assuming that this 17th pin is really used ...
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 January 2014, 07:50:16 by agodinhost »

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 08:00:29 »
There are 16 pins ready to be used - we could do a little hack soldering the pin that is missing into the uC (it's not that hard).

I wasn't that careful counting, colud be wrong. You could leave out a layer led or something.

Is it easy to rearrange the pins used in the ergodox software?

I think you could take the resistor/led attached to PD5 (pin 22). Schematic is here.

So it might be doable, but it'd still look pretty ugly hacked onto an ergodox pcb.

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 11:15:23 »

I wasn't that careful counting, colud be wrong. You could leave out a layer led or something.

Is it easy to rearrange the pins used in the ergodox software?

I think you could take the resistor/led attached to PD5 (pin 22). Schematic is here.

So it might be doable, but it'd still look pretty ugly hacked onto an ergodox pcb.
It's definitely doable and yes, it would be pretty ugly - even a few wires can make a huge difference!

I'll do some tests (I'm still waiting for my friend, the postman, here at home with my ergodox stuff).
IF it works (I think it will) I can change the PCB for those willing to use this setup.

However, I can't promise. I don't think it will be happening before 1 month - I'm kinda swamped. I really need to finish a few projects before starting this one ...