Author Topic: ErgoDox Massdrop round four! Now with reds, aluminum case, & assembly services.  (Read 14374 times)

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
So you can get a fully assembled ergodox with keys and an anodized aluminum top plate for ~$311

Or $5305 with gold plated aluminium xD

Yea that looks like a typo, I think they meant $500... but then again crazier things have happened
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
im 99% sure the 5 grand is not a typo

--

anyone contact massdrop about selling the aluminium top separate? im sure many round 1,2,3 would be interested

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
I am very tempted, but the ergogp makes me hesitates!

Ahhhhh!  Decisions!   :eek: :eek: :eek:
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline dante

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 20:29:34 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 August 2013, 22:02:59 by dante »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
I wonder who will be doing the assembly service?? Hopefully someone reliable.  ::)
Little known fact ... rumor ... inaccuracy: all ErgoDox keyboards start out fully assembled, but Massdrop wants to keep up their reputation of a part of the hacker/maker community, so desolders everything and sells them as kits. The premium "assembly service" is them charging for simply not taking apart what is shipped to them.

There's so much wrong with this I don't know where to begin. I'll just go with the PCBs.

After closely examining two separate sets of PCBs from MassDrop, I can say with confidence that this is totally untrue. I don't care how good you are, desoldering a whole board would leave marks, and the PCBs I received have been utterly pristine.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 August 2013, 22:37:55 by daerid »

Offline nightsnack

I wonder who will be doing the assembly service?? Hopefully someone reliable.  ::)
Little known fact ... rumor ... inaccuracy: all ErgoDox keyboards start out fully assembled, but Massdrop wants to keep up their reputation of a part of the hacker/maker community, so desolders everything and sells them as kits. The premium "assembly service" is them charging for simply not taking apart what is shipped to them.

There's so much wrong with this I don't know where to begin. I'll just go with the PCBs.

After closely examining two separate sets of PCBs from MassDrop, I can say with confidence that this is totally untrue. I don't care how good you are, desoldering a whole board would leave marks, and the PCBs I received have been utterly pristine.

Whoosh!

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
I'd really like to be able to just buy the to aluminum plate. Does anyone see a way that I can buy one?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel

this is correct, the ergodox i haven't built (#3) is a pristine PCB, likely from PCBwing

MassDrop sources their parts from all over the place before packing up the kit. There no manufacturer of the ErgoDox, which is open source.

Coolermaster/Ducky/Topre needs to step in and clone it.

Please tell me you are kidding. the ErgoDox is not something any of those companies would ever make. I would love a Topre ergodox but that is never going to happen; there is the uTron out there.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
I'd really like to be able to just buy the to aluminum plate. Does anyone see a way that I can buy one?

that will be addressed eventually, I would imagine they would do it right after the round 4 ends or once Round 4 reaches 199$

Offline elton5354

I'm guessing the aluminum case is clear anodized?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
I'm guessing the aluminum case is clear anodized?

its not really a case this time around, just the outer layer, and probably clear yeah

it would look something like this but with a better quality aluminium.

this was my ergodox day #1 in april where i mixed and matched the cases

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Stupid question: does one have to have an account on massdrop to even view the page for ErgoDox?  I always get redirected to the front page with a request to log in when clicking ErgoDox links, which is not what I want to do.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Stupid question: does one have to have an account on massdrop to even view the page for ErgoDox?  I always get redirected to the front page with a request to log in when clicking ErgoDox links, which is not what I want to do.

Why not make an account, you know your going to buy something eventually!!

I can take screen shots if you need it.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
I guess I don't know anything about the site, so I wanted to visit to satisfy curiosity rather than buy anything.  Just wanted to confirm that registration is required.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
I guess I don't know anything about the site, so I wanted to visit to satisfy curiosity rather than buy anything.  Just wanted to confirm that registration is required.

Yes. I learned this the hard way.

You need to create an account to even view the pages.

It's weird.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Poll for Aluminum Top Plate Only: https://www.massdrop.com/vote/unnamed-poll-61

Offline mikelanding

HHKB Type-S | Kinesis Advantage | Maltron 3D 2Hand | Ergodox (62g ErgoClear)

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
5k kb
SmallFry! <3

Offline babyface

God dammit! Why am I so poor atm!
Where do you get the idea that an LZ-GH is basically a filco??

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Don't worry sometimes its best to just walk away knowing you can still eat later.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'

Don't worry sometimes its best to just walk away knowing you can still eat later.

And sometimes its better knowing that you know anything at all because you actually ate.
SmallFry! <3

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone

this is correct, the ergodox i haven't built (#3) is a pristine PCB, likely from PCBwing

MassDrop sources their parts from all over the place before packing up the kit. There no manufacturer of the ErgoDox, which is open source.

Agreed, nightsnack, so much whoosh.

To be clear, the reason "fact" and "rumor" were struck out, leaving only "inaccuracy" was to indicate that this absurdism was not in fact true. Since more than one person seems to have missed this, I figured I'd state it clearly here. What I had said was simply an absurdism (on the face of it, it makes no sense), so no one needs to worry, no desoldering or anything else has been done to these parts before they arrive at your doorstep.

Yikes.

Offline BliTzKiN

Hey guys, anyone knows if the aluminium option replaces the acrylic top plate or its a separate add on? Also, does anodized aluminum get stained with fingerprints? I've already placed my order, was number 50 :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
So if it's going to be anodized aluminum why not offer color options??

Black would be awesome.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
Hey guys, anyone knows if the aluminium option replaces the acrylic top plate or its a separate add on? Also, does anodized aluminum get stained with fingerprints? I've already placed my order, was number 50 :D

It will not stain due to the anodizing, and I was the first to commit, not to buy :)
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline BliTzKiN

It will not stain due to the anodizing, and I was the first to commit, not to buy :)

Thanks for the reply! At the rate its moving, you're probably gonna get one too :D

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce

Thanks for the reply! At the rate its moving, you're probably gonna get one too :D

Oh I definitely will :) I see this hitting at least 400 orders.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Got two weeks left so plenty of time to 'think' about buying one.

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
Got two weeks left so plenty of time to 'think' about buying one.
Should also mean that any group 3 folks getting theirs shipped right now should be able to receive & assemble that one before having to decide if they want to get in on group 4. :D

Offline phx

damn, so tempted....
guess I have 2 weeks to decide whether or not to jump onto this ship.

Offline vatin

My ergodox from r3 is on the way. My next board would possibly be the ergogp, depending on how the final product ends up to be.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
Lowest price has been unlocked!

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
Well... I wonder if anyone brought the gold case.
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

If they do I hope they post pictures when they get it!!

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Not to put down the wonderful organizers, but I think they really need to reconsider their work.

If they had aimed for one solid good group buy with over 1000, garnering interest over 1 year, surely they could have enough economy of scale to drive prices down to $150 or something very competitive with the Kinesis.

Low prices and massive economies of scale are good for everyone. That would be better than running four group buys, one after another in quick succession.

In any case the only group buy I'm targeting is the Model F revival project, and I'd rather they took their time to make a keyboard worth using until the day I die!

Also what makes you think that they can handle one order of 1000 units? They are probably keeping it relatively small so that they can build up the business.

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
I hope not, since five grand is an absurd price for something that's only gold plate.

Online dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Probably $1000+ of that is going into a one-off CNC case.

Offline tobr1an

Any1 know the length of the case if its with the hand?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Any1 know the length of the case if its with the hand?

7.976in x 8.431in