Author Topic: What has GeekHack done to me?!  (Read 4403 times)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
What has GeekHack done to me?!
« on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 05:31:19 »
Well it all started a month or two ago (I forgot when exactly) I joined this website to ask what mechanical keyboard i should get, I asked if should get a QFR or a different mech. And people told me their opinion on how the QFR is the best bet for a newbie in the keyboard world.

And so i thought about it for a while and i decided to keep looking! And then i came across a few threads talking about a HHKB pro 2, And i was like "Hmm so what's so great about this keyboard? I looked it up" And then i was surprised by the price and after that i asked why it was so good! And people told me about the smoothness of topre and i learned the secrets are of Thopre. And on shortly after that (And by shortly i mean a month after that) I decided to think on it.

And so i am here now about to get a HHKB for Good 'ol Christmas. I have a topre Brobot on the way and come to think only a month ago i was looking at a QFR and i thought the people who bought these weird things called Clacks where Crazy people! Well i still think to a point people who pay the markup for clacks are crazy but that's a whole other topic

So now i'm on this website most of my webtime drooling over keycaps, Clacks, BroBots. And i'm making my list of Keyboard i'm going to buy next year.

This website has done something to me.. And i think i like it.

I already have my list of keyboards i'm getting, On that list is the Ergodox, IBM Model M/F     A poker 2 and if i get that i plan to drop it in a Aluminium case with some nice keycaps.

Oh god my wallet is already aching.. In only a few months i can picture my self buying Clacks at huge prices like alot of people.

And only 2 months ago (Or So) i thought keyboards where nothing special.

« Last Edit: Thu, 12 December 2013, 05:37:09 by Air tree »

Offline cookiesowns

Re: What has GeekHack done to me?!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 05:34:43 »
GeekHack does quite a bit. Me included... My previous keyboards were blackwidow trash....

But congrats OP, hope you enjoy topre.. It'll be what I'm getting into next once I get these A87 PCB's in :D

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 05:42:00 »
Lol, anyone who thinks they have restraint, even those who start at the very top and then plan to buy only things at that rarefied price point are doomed to the GH hoarding disease. No collection will be complete without the smallfry (40%), perhaps even the Matias 60% etc. etc. etc.

I myself though am adamant that I WILL stop buying keyboards once I reach 200  :eek:

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 05:53:22 »
TP4 will miss you
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline balanar

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 05:59:03 »
The End OP? This is just the beginning...

Oh and welcome to GH! You truly become part of it when you start exceeding thousands spent within a month. I'm sure there's a thread on that on here somewhere.

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 06:06:31 »

Oh and welcome to GH! You truly become part of it when you start exceeding thousands spent within a month. I'm sure there's a thread on that on here somewhere.

You will begin to plan your weekly schedule according to USPS tracking updates  :p

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 06:07:09 »

Well i can't Truly Become part of it because i don't make more than 8300$ a year

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 06:12:21 »

Well i can't Truly Become part of it because i don't make more than 8300$ a year
Show Image

Just go to the supermarket and slip on a puddle and you can buy keyboards for the rest of your life.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 07:02:07 »

Show Image

Just go to the supermarket and slip on a puddle and you can buy keyboards for the rest of your life.

wut

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 07:04:10 »

Show Image

wut
If i where to say get hurt in a supermarket store by 'Slipping' I would be able to sue for my injuries.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 07:29:18 »
I myself though am adamant that I WILL stop buying keyboards once I reach 200

I have the keyboard that I REALLY like, the modded F-122, and 3 backups. Then I have my second choice, the early Model M, with 2 backups, and something over half a dozen other keyboards/switch types that I enjoy using and keep for nostalgia and/or collecting purposes.

There are a couple of nice but unexciting keyboards that I need to sell off, and the other dozen junk keyboards in the house that don't really count. I watch ebay, salvage stores, yard sales, and thrift stores where I stumble across something nice from time to time, but that is more of a curiosity thing. 

My "quest" has generally been fulfilled, and I feel that I am "set for life" with keyboards.

Having said that, since I am an old man, I would like to have a very small, light, but good plastic keyboard (QFR browns, etc with O-rings) for the day when I am confined to a chair or bed with a computing device that does not really have something that I would accept as a keyboard.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 07:39:15 »
Keyboards are addictive, just like virtually every other man-made stuff. I also came here initially to only find stuff about HHKB and it was only google that got me links including places like this.

Little did I know that now as a result I could almost sound like an expert, telling a real programmer the benefits of a mechanical keyboard. This place partially gave me hooks to latch onto even though I am not a programmer but I was surprised that I could eventually convert others to join the mechanical keyboard move.

The world is changing! membrane keyboards may soon be the sort of items only paupers could afford. Whilst the rest of us could spoil ourselves a little with something worth it's price tag is not that far of a reach. This is the world where touch typists can enjoy the comfort of knowing a well spent keyboard means a lot to our fingers.
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline adhoc

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 09:11:05 »
That's okay. I've been (registered, but still) for 1 day or so and have already ordered 5 key caps, HHKBP2 black non-printed, a few keypullers and some additional caps...

that's on top of a few mech boards I already have at home...

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 09:59:14 »
Welcome to wallethack man!
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 10:19:08 »
Oh you're not the only one.  ;D
I want a Fc660C... Cheaper alternative to HHKB. I don't have that kind of cash to say here! Nao GIMMI KEYBOARD!

Offline Belfong

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 10:34:05 »
I'm here for 4 months and in this 4 months I have a Code, Matias, Poker 2, HHKB Pro 2 and R4, R5, Penumbra, feng double shot PBT and because of these key caps, I got a ONI to try them out! Not to mention steel and gold Brobot!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 15:15:57 »
I read somewhere recently that people who check their Twitter feed within 2 minutes of waking in the morning can be considered to have a Twitter obsession.

How soon after waking do you check Geekhack?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 15:22:33 »
Everyday....... And before I walk out of the door. Also when I arrive at school, waiting for class to start, during lunch, during class when teacher allows phones.
I think I have an addiction...

Total Time Spent Online:4 days, 18 hours and 27 minutes.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 December 2013, 15:33:46 by HUNTERANGEL121 »

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 15:23:56 »
is there chart to see how much time on gh?

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 15:33:14 »
Yep.... Go to profile> Summary>And show stats which will be under your avatar.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 15:34:53 »
is there chart to see how much time on gh?

check your stats

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 15:37:39 »
I read somewhere recently that people who check their Twitter feed within 2 minutes of waking in the morning can be considered to have a Twitter obsession.

How soon after waking do you check Geekhack?

Lol literally 10 seconds! My eyes are still adjusting. Have to find out when sales and trades are going! ;)

I was just like you man..

I came here with my rosewill thinking oh my god it was so expensive! Then I ended up selling it and buying an HHKB pro 2 which was 3 times it's price lol got my first clack. It was my "dream clack" I thought I was done... That started a huge beginning of buying and trading and hunting and researching to get all my newly thought about dream clacks. Plus the binge, gasmasks, soon brobots finalllly! Also I've got a custom keyboard being made ;) oh man it's never going to end is it? But I seriously love this place.. Awesome people and awesome "work tools" keyboards haha :)

Nice I didn't know about stats ! Thanks! I guess I'm active all day and night except  7/8 am lol
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 December 2013, 15:41:18 by dustinhxc »

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 15:41:35 »
God I need a job. This sucks. I really want a topre but I don't have any money errrr. I also need to sell my K90 that's lying around.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 16:24:15 »
People out of the keyboard world read us as a bunch of nonsense. Well who cares.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 16:25:34 »
Geekhack really changes a man...

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 16:26:21 »
Mommy thinks I have some disorder... She think I'm addicted, which there is some truth to that.... But who the hell cares? We are a community, and we love what we collect. There is no stopping that.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 16:39:50 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 16:41:11 »

You're not wrong!

[NSFW] http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51895.msg1155740#msg1155740

I tried telling you guys all along I thought kmiller was a girls name

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 16:43:43 »
A prime example you have there.

Offline cookiesowns

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 16:47:43 »

You will begin to plan your weekly schedule according to USPS tracking updates  :p

So sad, but yet so true.  ;D

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 16:57:26 »

You're not wrong!

Well. I don't know what to say about that..... Was he desperate for clacks? I mean really DESPERATE. It's like those girls at school who start flirting with you when you pull up in a Audi, they're like wow you drive? And then will start giggling for about 45 seconds straight...

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 17:00:16 »
Well. I don't know what to say about that..... Was he desperate for clacks? I mean really DESPERATE. It's like those girls at school who start flirting with you when you pull up in a Audi, they're like wow you drive? And then will start giggling for about 45 seconds straight...

I did it on principle. If you say you're going to do something, do it. Don't back out :p

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 17:00:39 »

You're not wrong!

so you drive an audi but can't get your parents to get you a topre board? tell em its for ergonomics and your wrists hurt

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 17:01:38 »

You're not wrong!

so you drive an audi but can't get your parents to get you a topre board? tell em its for ergonomics and your wrists hurt
Wouldn't that be an Excuse for an Ergodox? Not that they would know a Ergo keyboard if they saw one but still.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 17:09:12 »

You're not wrong!

The car was free. And the transmission, well not so free....
I was saving up for 1 year for my first car which was going to be a 91 stealth which was $500, then dad says lets go to NewYork, little did I know my aunt had given me her car...
Transmission and transmission computer came out of my pocket, $1,500.

Offline Tony

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 07:02:50 »
Who cares about the weirdness of collecting keyboards? Other people are busily collecting stamps, coins, girls, money, Magic cards and cars.

They don't care a fig about you. We geekhackers do. And that's all that matters.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 07:25:11 »
Who cares about the weirdness of collecting keyboards? Other people are busily collecting stamps, coins, girls, money, Magic cards and cars.

They don't care a fig about you. We geekhackers do. And that's all that matters.
I have never heard of someone collecting women. Sounds kind of scary.

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 07:28:18 »
Today is my one month anniversary since I joined geekhack. Decided to add up the bill $370 + $135 pending deal, all on keycaps... And none have been clacks so far. I have no idea how this happened, but damn it my keyboard is stylin
sell out and eat ass

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 08:35:53 »
After almost 3 weeks with my Leopold Tenkeyless (Brown Switches), I believe it's time to report eh?

There's NO issue when using the keyboard late at night. Of course I don't go bat-sh*t crazy "Hulk SMASH" bottoming the keys at night but still, there's no way I could wake my parents from typing.

I don't have to use the silencing rings I bought, I'm pretty good at touch-typing and it definitely helps. Brown switches are really silent if you want them to be.

I have never heard of someone collecting women. Sounds kind of scary.
Show Image

Hugh collects em. Playboy mansion…

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 10:31:27 »

True that! I used to collect stamps, coins, and magic cards! Lol

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 10:33:38 »
Today is my one month anniversary since I joined geekhack. Decided to add up the bill $370 + $135 pending deal, all on keycaps... And none have been clacks so far. I have no idea how this happened, but damn it my keyboard is stylin

Uh oh… I'm in a similar boat, but I'm afraid to do the same thing…

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 10:35:51 »

Uh oh… I'm in a similar boat, but I'm afraid to do the same thing…

Okay, I couldn't resist. At least $500 in the last month. Two keyboards, 3 sets of caps (mostly cheaper PBT or POM), 1 CC, a bunch of switches/lube/stickers/springs, and probably more stuff that's not coming to mind. Oh God, what have I done…

Edit: Ah, and probably another $80 that I'm going to spend today.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 10:48:24 »
You guys are good that's not much at all ;)

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 11:34:41 »
You guys are good that's not much at all ;)

Aaaannnddd I just spent $65 on keycaps that I wasn't planning on.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 11:35:27 »
You guys know there is a thread bout how much you have spent right?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 11:37:25 »
You guys know there is a thread bout how much you have spent right?

I do now: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44863.180 for reference

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 14:08:49 »
Wow. You guys sure do love to spend that much money on boards huh. And here I am who spent a total of $285 on both or my boards in the last year....
I really wish I had the money to blow on boards.