Author Topic: Problem programming Teensy for Ergodox [Solved]  (Read 11159 times)

Offline vatin

Problem programming Teensy for Ergodox [Solved]
« on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 11:12:10 »
I followed the programming step by step as listed here https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/assembly.
When reaching step 18, after having loaded the eep file, pressing the teensy button thereafter produce nothing. No confirmation, no progress bar, no error message, no nothing. The blinking just stops and change to continuous dimly illumination instead. I did this in Ubuntu Linux. Got any idea?

Thank you

Edit1
It turns out to be my silly mistake. I didn't insert the USB pin into Teensy fully so I have bad connection. Pushing in further to establish proper connection solves the problem. Now half of the keys don't work. I'll examine the problem and start a new thread if needed.

Edit2
I have completed my ergodox ;D
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42772.msg1407236#msg1407236
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 July 2014, 05:10:08 by vatin »
OLKB Planck V6

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Re: Problem programming Teensy for Ergodox
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 11:26:38 »
you load the eep file, press the button, something might happen, nothing might happen. Then you drag the hex file on it and press the auto button in the teensy window, press the button on the teensy again.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 21:45:05 »
you load the eep file, press the button, something might happen, nothing might happen. Then you drag the hex file on it and press the auto button in the teensy window, press the button on the teensy again.

This.

Offline vatin

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 23:02:59 »

Thanks, but what if despite doing all that and yet in the end "nothing happens", as in replugging the teensy and it still show the default blinking mode. Is it normal to have "nothing happens" at all?
OLKB Planck V6

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 03:18:01 »
If you did what I said in that order then it should work, if it doesn't work after that then you may have gone wrong somewhere, something is probably broken.

Offline OldDataHands

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 06:41:54 »
I used the teensy_loader_cli program under Ubuntu, and it was flawless.
You issue the command, it waits for you
to hit the button on the teensy, then
 flashes your new image in.

Don't forget to pass it the right cpu model parameter...

Offline vatin

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 09:36:08 »
To be able to program, is it necessary for teensy to be soldered into place while doing the programming?  Because I was trying to do it while my teensy is sitting on its anti static foam, which might be the cause of running into brick wall all these time. :-\

Anyhow, my ordered parts starts arriving and I'm going to try my second attempt.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 09:55:27 »
To be able to program, is it necessary for teensy to be soldered into place while doing the programming?  Because I was trying to do it while my teensy is sitting on its anti static foam, which might be the cause of running into brick wall all these time. :-\

Anyhow, my ordered parts starts arriving and I'm going to try my second attempt.

Anti static foam is conductive, so yeah, don't do that. It doesn't have to be soldered in to program it, though.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline vatin

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 10:22:36 »
I've been trying it dozens of time while it sitting on the foam, so I guess it is ruined. Ahh.. haven't seen such warning written anywhere.....

OK.... just ordered another teensy.....   I won't stop fighting until I got a fully assembled ergodox on my desk, rattling along with mx red.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 June 2014, 11:06:24 by vatin »
OLKB Planck V6

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 12:17:27 »
Anti-static foam is conductive in the mega-ohm range at best, very unlikely it would break the Teensy. If it doesn't enter the boot loader after pushing the button briefly while out of the foam and hooked up to an USB port, it most likely was DOA.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 June 2014, 12:19:34 by Grendel »
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 13:40:11 »
I did have one Teensy that never blinked the LED on first power up. I emailed PJRC, and they had me send it back to them. Sent me a new Teensy replacement.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 22:04:47 »

remember that it won't do anything unless it's soldered to the pcb, also using the usb jack / header.

I ran into this issue myself.

Offline vatin

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 05:48:19 »
Ok I've ordered a brand new teensy 2.0 to start all over. This time I've completed the ergodox assembly with the new teensy and everything all solder in. Yet I'm facing the same exact problem.

1. Plug in the ergodox, confirmed teensy light is blinking.
2. Open teensy loader drag eep file into teensy loader click on auto button till light up green.
3. Press the reset switch on the teensy board, blinking light stops.
4. Nothing happen on teensy loader message "press button to activate" remains, while according to https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/tutorial.html this message should dissapear when reset button is pressed. I waited about 2-3 minutes not a single message signify that the program has been loaded.
5. Drag hex file into teensy loader window make sure the auto button is light up.
6. Press reset button on the teensy board. Nothing moves, nor was there a single message signify anything.
7. Try pressing keys on the ergodox. Nothing respond.
8. Unplug ergodox and replug just to see the blinking light all over again.
9. 300 usd turns into air.

Do you guys have any idea?
BTW OS used is Windows 8.1, does that seem to be the problem?
I've tried running in Windows 7 and Vista compatibility mode. Doesn't seemed to help.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 July 2014, 06:14:45 by vatin »
OLKB Planck V6

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 09:45:04 »
It looks like your computer doesn't see teensy, or you don't have permission to access usb.
Does your other usb devices working?
Maybe you can try to start teensy loader as administrator?

Offline Grendel

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 18:26:26 »
Did you try a different USB cable ?
- I'm game !

Offline vatin

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 01:24:56 »
It looks like your computer doesn't see teensy, or you don't have permission to access usb.
Does your other usb devices working?
Maybe you can try to start teensy loader as administrator?

Yes. All other USB device works fine, such as my KBT Pure is working
This is the admin account on this computer and I have tried loading teensy loader as admin account - doesn't help.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline vatin

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 01:29:09 »
Did you try a different USB cable ?

I even tried with my working KBT Pure's usb cable - doesn't help

Plugging my ergodox into my other Windows 8.1 computer got my teensy to be recognized as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" and teensy loader doesn't work. I consider this to at least be some progress. I'm downloading Ubuntu and would try to flash it in the live CD environment.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline tbc

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 02:01:48 »
are you plugging it intto a usb hub?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Grendel

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 03:17:55 »
I even tried with my working KBT Pure's usb cable - doesn't help

Plugging my ergodox into my other Windows 8.1 computer got my teensy to be recognized as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" and teensy loader doesn't work. I consider this to at least be some progress. I'm downloading Ubuntu and would try to flash it in the live CD environment.

This points at a problem w/ the USB path. Are you plugging it into the connector on the ErgoDox or directly into the Teensy ? If the former, double check the  wiring of the connector that is soldered to the board and plugs into the Teensy, something is wrong there.
- I'm game !

Offline vatin

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 04:07:49 »
This points at a problem w/ the USB path. Are you plugging it into the connector on the ErgoDox or directly into the Teensy ? If the former, double check the  wiring of the connector that is soldered to the board and plugs into the Teensy, something is wrong there.

Tried as suggested, reconnecting the mini USB directly to the teensy, still nothing.

I think I did a fine job at teensy soldering as picture attached.

Edit
If this could be a useful information. This unit of teensy 2.0 when I took right out of the package, removed the anti static foam, I've tried connect it with a USB cable, nothing happened. No single message indicating that Windows has detected new device. And as one of the poster said that it must be solder in in order to work, hence I completed my assembly, and now still nothing.

This is my 2nd teensy 2.0. Both of them showing the same behavior -no device found in Windows even trying to plug into computer use when newly open.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 July 2014, 05:32:47 by vatin »
OLKB Planck V6

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 04:51:31 »
Can't see the images, you can upload the images to geekhack as attachments.

So you plug the cable directly to teensy? If not, you should try this, because the connection between teensy and the USB port on the PCB may be faulty.

If you use Ubuntu or other linux, you need to add udev rules, follow the direction in pjrc.com
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/loader_linux.html

Offline Grendel

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 13:18:20 »

Tried as suggested, reconnecting the mini USB directly to the teensy, still nothing.

I think I did a fine job at teensy soldering as picture attached.

Edit
If this could be a useful information. This unit of teensy 2.0 when I took right out of the package, removed the anti static foam, I've tried connect it with a USB cable, nothing happened. No single message indicating that Windows has detected new device. And as one of the poster said that it must be solder in in order to work, hence I completed my assembly, and now still nothing.

This is my 2nd teensy 2.0. Both of them showing the same behavior -no device found in Windows even trying to plug into computer use when newly open.

Remember that the default program the Teensy's come with will not enumerate as a USB device -- connecting them to USB will just blink the LED, nothing else. In order to see if the USB enumeration works you have to briefly press the button to activate the boot loader while connected to a USB port. If you have a Teensy not mounted, try to connect it to a USB port, then hit the button. It now should enumrate and be visible as a generic HID device in the device manager.
- I'm game !

Offline vatin

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 18:55:14 »
It turns out it is my false. I didn't push the USB plug in fully into the Teensy.
Now I'm able to load the firmware finally.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 July 2014, 08:17:12 by vatin »
OLKB Planck V6