Author Topic: Group Buys  (Read 10176 times)

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Group Buys
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 13:11:53 »
I suppose it's the semantics of the word - profit. Profit is generally thought of as the cut on each transaction - in the PMK sales through SP, that doesn't happen.

Personally I think that if I started up an interest check, generated the colour images and the key profiles (as well as custom image caps), and I spent time accepting advice and changing the set to meet the wants of the group, I would like to get something out of it like a discount.
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 13:18:05 »
I never said that the GB leaders on PMK do not put in the effort, but saying I get "nothing" is not true either. Many GB leaders put a tremendous amount of effort and time into making the GBs on PMK successful.

However, if you say spending 20+ hours and getting a free st is not a profitable situation (Which I agree), then ALL GBs are a loss, specially those involving tremendous amount of sorting and shipping time.

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 13:24:07 »
Right, but I was under the impression where the group buys involved the OP purchasing the sets, then selling and distributing each set themselves - they would incorporate a profit margin on top of the set that would cover the time and labor.

Now, whether these people are ACTUALLY profiting given their margins, I don't know.
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline scubaste

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 13:29:58 »
I never said that the GB leaders on PMK do not put in the effort, but saying I get "nothing" is not true either. Many GB leaders put a tremendous amount of effort and time into making the GBs on PMK successful.

However, if you say spending 20+ hours and getting a free st is not a profitable situation (Which I agree), then ALL GBs are a loss, specially those involving tremendous amount of sorting and shipping time.

Right, and I totally agree with your sentiment. I just wanted to further point out that plenty of people put in way more time and effort than they could ever really be repaid for(even through PMK), compared to the few bad apples or just plain misguided people that try and get something for "free". I think PMK is a great utility and like Krogenar said, its great option for someone who wants to design and keep out of the logistic side of things. Anyway, not trying to split hairs here!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:15:00 »
I agree, and Norbauer and I were the second after matt3o to use PMK for a GB (Galaxy Class), and were are getting 5 complete sets, of which we are keeping one each and donating three in some way to raise money for geekhack in some way.

I was just pointing out that GB leaders on PMK do get something return, yes not making profit, but they do get something in return.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 15:46:24 »
moz dont you have pending group buys?

you recieve money on those?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 16:15:02 »
moz dont you have pending group buys?

you recieve money on those?

Pending GBs? I had the sticker GB, during which I pretty much became bankrupt due to a fire, dropped out of college, moved in with my parents, went into depression (Getting better now) and haven't spent a dime on keyboards since.

I had the Galaxy Set, which I ICed and kickstarted, but it really has been norbauer's baby ever since, and is currently in production by SP and they are handling sorting and shipping.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 16:22:52 »
did people pay for stickers? mind opening the thread until that is resolved?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 16:27:39 »
did people pay for stickers? mind opening the thread until that is resolved?

Yes, they did, they were produced, most of them were packed and ready to ship as well, I posted pictures in the GB thread. Then the fire thing happened and things have been downhill from then on. Many of the guys in support said not to refund the money, but I wasn't in a position to refund the money anyway and haven't been since, and why I haven't spent on keyboards or anything for that matter. The mods just yesterday locked the GB thread since it wasn't heading anywhere. I have made a personal point that when and soon as I can, I will refund everyone from that GB. If the community feels I cheated them, I am willing to accept suspension or a ban, I can understand if it may seem as I cheated them. There really isn't anything I can do.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 16:33:08 »
what you deserve is not my decision. i was just curious on the outcome of said gb.

Offline keyton

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 11:31:57 »
 What is wrong with profits?

Beats everybody going bankrupt here and failed group buys.