Author Topic: [SHIPPED] Tai Hao 110 Coloured DS Set GB  (Read 474177 times)

Offline elton5354

Re: [CLOSED - Moving to Production] Tai Hao 110 Coloured DS Set GB - $9/set
« Reply #1500 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 05:28:10 »
I know there won't be any updates until production is finished, but as soon as I get my set of samples from them, I'll scope what size boxes I'll need at this packaging company.  I'll need 328 boxes :eek:.  Maybe I'll order them and store them in my garage.  Or should I order them when the keys get here?

I'm thinking of buying 2 common sizes.
1st size to fit 1-3 sets - smaller box to keep the weight to a minimal since it has to be under 1LB
2nd size to fit 4-11 sets
and the 4 outlier orders will have their own custom box.

Also a 20 cubic ft of peanuts for protection.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 August 2013, 05:32:17 by elton5354 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1501 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 06:04:37 »
That's a lot of packing material :eek:

If you've got the space, I'd say to order it now.  Nothing worse than ordering it later only to find that it is not sufficient or delayed or something else goes wrong with it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #1502 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 06:54:48 »
Please post closeup shots when you have the samples. That'll sweeten the wait. :)

As for packaging (wow) I'd buy something, not all at once. Shipping will take some time for you anyway.
But all depends on the various timings and space that can be held hostage.
IBM M - UK  |  QFR reds  |  QFR blacks  |  HPE 87 browns  |  HPE 87 blues

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #1503 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 07:20:55 »

If you've got the space, I'd say to order it now.  Nothing worse than ordering it later only to find that it is not sufficient or delayed or something else goes wrong with it.

+1
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #1504 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 07:21:26 »

+1

+1

Offline elton5354

« Reply #1505 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 07:38:46 »

Yeah definitely.  That was what I was thinking as well.  It was either after I get the samples or few weeks before the shipment arrives.  I worded it wrong when I said I'll order them when the keys arrived.  :-X

Please post closeup shots when you have the samples. That'll sweeten the wait. :)

As for packaging (wow) I'd buy something, not all at once. Shipping will take some time for you anyway.
But all depends on the various timings and space that can be held hostage.

For sure.  Maybe I'll give it away to a secret member afterwards. ;)

Offline Halvar

« Reply #1506 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 08:25:33 »
Who wants a bunch of leftover boxes?  ;)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #1507 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 08:35:42 »
Who wants a bunch of leftover boxes?  ;)

He is talking about the sample

Offline tobr1an

« Reply #1508 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 14:46:56 »
Any extra/left overs sets available?

Offline xpistalpetex

« Reply #1509 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 18:03:45 »
keypop would have sets when production is done

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #1510 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 00:23:52 »
Elton gonna swim in a big box of peanuts before diving into keycaps  :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1511 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 01:09:35 »

Elton gonna swim in a big vat of antibacterial surgical alcohol before he even considers swimming in, and rubbing his naked parts against, my keycaps!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline oaklandishh

« Reply #1512 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 01:21:09 »

Elton gonna swim in a big vat of antibacterial surgical alcohol before he even considers swimming in, and rubbing his naked parts against, my keycaps!

Rubbing of ones naked parts against key caps really doesn't sound like something one would do intentionally. Does this imply if he wears a swim suit its okay?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1513 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 01:30:03 »

Rubbing of ones naked parts against key caps really doesn't sound like something one would do intentionally. Does this imply if he wears a swim suit its okay?

That might depend on how much of him the swim suit covers, but on the whole I would have to say no.  Sorry Elton - I prefer my keycaps un-swum-in.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1514 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 02:41:14 »

Déjà vu..... I think this was already discussed in this thread at some point :D

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #1515 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 03:00:42 »

Déjà vu..... I think this was already discussed in this thread at some point :D

Multiple I think.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1516 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 04:21:27 »
Yeah, it comes up from time to time.

Consensus is that Elton will NOT be swimming in the keycaps.

And in fact they will be pre-sorted at the factory (and probably provided in set bags or something), which would make swimming in them even more difficult.

But it helps to break the monotony of waiting for them :)

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #1517 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 04:59:09 »
Yeah, it comes up from time to time.

Consensus is that Elton will NOT be swimming in the keycaps.

And in fact they will be pre-sorted at the factory (and probably provided in set bags or something), which would make swimming in them even more difficult.

But it helps to break the monotony of waiting for them :)

Imagine if it just comes in a pile where nothing is sorted. LOL
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline Mad_Doktor

« Reply #1518 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 10:14:34 »
I know there won't be any updates until production is finished, but as soon as I get my set of samples from them, I'll scope what size boxes I'll need at this packaging company.  I'll need 328 boxes :eek:.  Maybe I'll order them and store them in my garage.  Or should I order them when the keys get here?

I'm thinking of buying 2 common sizes.
1st size to fit 1-3 sets - smaller box to keep the weight to a minimal since it has to be under 1LB
2nd size to fit 4-11 sets
and the 4 outlier orders will have their own custom box.

Also a 20 cubic ft of peanuts for protection.

Have you thought about bubble mailers for the small orders and kraft paper instead of peanuts? Also,  where are you sourcing these supplies?

I am curious about the logistics of these large group buys and working for a small company that ships stuff, we take shipping discounts wherever we can get.

md
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 August 2013, 10:41:02 by Mad_Doktor »
CM QFR - Cherry Blue | CM Storm Trigger - Cherry Brown | Keycool 84 - Cherry Black | Corsair K95 - Cherry Red | IBM Model M '93

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #1519 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 10:49:51 »
I REALLY don't think bubble mailers are a good idea.

International orders (at least) may suffer unimaginable tortures.
IBM M - UK  |  QFR reds  |  QFR blacks  |  HPE 87 browns  |  HPE 87 blues

Offline elton5354

« Reply #1520 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 15:44:34 »

Have you thought about bubble mailers for the small orders and kraft paper instead of peanuts? Also,  where are you sourcing these supplies?

I am curious about the logistics of these large group buys and working for a small company that ships stuff, we take shipping discounts wherever we can get.

md

I have considered it  for orders with 1 set, but given there are only 8 orders with that amount, there is no point really cause the place I'm buying it requires large orders.  For simplicity sake, I'm only going to 1 location.

The place I'm getting the supplies are here http://www.coltpak.com/index.php

If you know a cheaper place, let me know!

EDIT:

Actually I found a cheaper place and they sell kraft paper too.  I think that is a better choice than peanuts.

They're cheaper by 50%! They're a bit further, but that's okay.

http://www.gmpackaging.com/
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 August 2013, 23:18:24 by elton5354 »

Offline Mad_Doktor

« Reply #1521 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 08:33:50 »
Try ULine. depending on the sizes you want, their prices can be better relative to GM-Packaging.

http://www.uline.ca/Promotion/MonthlySpecial.aspx?pagename=sp000_Best_Selling_Boxes.htm

Our company always gets packaging materials delivered (costs $$$) so I don't know if they have a brick-and-mortar storefront. Their contact page say they are located in Brampton...

Have you also considered signing a Canada Post commercial account? You save a little bit more and you can use their online order form entry to print shipping labels.

Our company is on volume-based contract which requires us to ship +750 shipments a year (also allows us to use their shipping software) but even if you are not on the same contract, you still get to save about 2% per order... which does add up for +300 orders.

Check out the info at: https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/business/support/customernumber.jsf

md
CM QFR - Cherry Blue | CM Storm Trigger - Cherry Brown | Keycool 84 - Cherry Black | Corsair K95 - Cherry Red | IBM Model M '93

Offline elton5354

« Reply #1522 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 09:09:37 »
Thanks for the info.  They seem to be a warehouse only, so no walk-ins.

I think I'll stick with GM-Packaging since I'll need to go there and physically check the size and weight of the box.  I may well have underestimated the weight of the box for shipping, so I hope I didn't screw myself!

I'm planning on printing the shipping labels from PayPal and they do offer little discounts on shipping for domestic, not sure about international though.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #1523 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 17:56:27 »

I think I'll stick with GM-Packaging since I'll need to go there and physically check the size and weight of the box.  I may well have underestimated the weight of the box for shipping, so I hope I didn't screw myself!

I'm planning on printing the shipping labels from PayPal and they do offer little discounts on shipping for domestic, not sure about international though.

It works well actually, but if you just cross the border to NY or something, might be tad bit cheaper to ship all the USA orders haha. (Talking like $3-5 per order) but it is quite strenuous to drive that long. I find it is very hard to print labels for things that were not sent to me as a payment :|
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1524 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 19:33:55 »

It works well actually, but if you just cross the border to NY or something, might be tad bit cheaper to ship all the USA orders haha. (Talking like $3-5 per order) but it is quite strenuous to drive that long. I find it is very hard to print labels for things that were not sent to me as a payment :|

It would be interesting watching the customs agents trying to understand why someone would have so many key caps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1525 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 19:46:41 »

It would be interesting watching the customs agents trying to understand why someone would have so many key caps.

He'd probably just think it was a store.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #1526 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 00:28:24 »
Then I'll have to pay a ton of tax just to get through! :eek:

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #1527 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 01:31:10 »
Smuggle them in your pants? Oh wait, never mind, Rowdy will freak out again if his caps are stored anywhere near your twig and berries!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1528 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 01:48:57 »
Smuggle them in your pants? Oh wait, never mind, Rowdy will freak out again if his caps are stored anywhere near your twig and berries!

I heard that!

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #1529 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 03:03:44 »
Then I'll have to pay a ton of tax just to get through! :eek:

Oh wow my girlfriend told me about like $300 per person to get into Canada if they had purchased things in the USA.

Didn't know it was for the same out >.<.

But hey, you could just say that its all packing peanuts ._.

Do you really check for it?
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline elton5354

« Reply #1530 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 03:46:43 »
Oh wow my girlfriend told me about like $300 per person to get into Canada if they had purchased things in the USA.

Well it depends on how long you stay and how much you're bringing back.

http://www.dutyfreecanada.com/customs-allowances/

Pretty sure they'll check if my car is packed full of cardboard boxes and key caps ;)

Also US customs officers are pretty strict..

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #1531 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 09:31:05 »
I hate handling customs!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1532 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 15:04:21 »
I hate handling customs!

Just as long as they don't handle you ;)

Offline ikoma

« Reply #1533 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 09:53:52 »
Haven't checked the thread in a long while. Good to see things are moving along!
QFR x2 | HHKB Pro2 | IBM Model M2 x2 | IBM Model M | Razer Blackwidow | NeXT Keyboard (Alps)

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #1534 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 09:56:08 »
Hey Elton, any word on possible GB for the spacebars from sp? 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline elton5354

« Reply #1535 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 11:46:09 »
I'm not doing it anymore, but Key Pop said they're working on something with it. No idea though.  Maybe Key Pop can confirm? ;)

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #1536 on: Sat, 17 August 2013, 08:02:54 »

Well it depends on how long you stay and how much you're bringing back.

http://www.dutyfreecanada.com/customs-allowances/

Pretty sure they'll check if my car is packed full of cardboard boxes and key caps ;)

Also US customs officers are pretty strict..

I believe it's only strict on the way back into Canada, apparently you can cross into the USA with $6,000 in cash.. although it is somewhat sketch if it is all postage stuff >.<. Who knows, maybe its not worth the effort but shipping might be saving a lot more, would be a pain to be at the post office trying to ship hundreds of boxes :P
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline Topre

« Reply #1537 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 18:48:32 »
I crossed the Canadian and New York border a few times, in different locations. Usually I noticed they are more strict coming back to New York. Also, if you drive with a family or extra people they often don't check your car at all. If you don't cross the border often in a car, they usually don't check. Never once have I been checked while crossing the border to each side, once I even had a passenger with an expired passport and all they said was to renew it.

Offline last_sd

« Reply #1538 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 20:43:59 »
This looks real cool.
Would've been nice since it's not real expansive and I am new to the mech keyboards and clueless :D

elton5354 are you from Toronto?
Do you think you will have extra sets I could buy off from you directly once they ship it to you?(Maybe someone will back out?)
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 August 2013, 20:45:35 by last_sd »
Home: CM QFR MX BLUE      Work: Razor Arctosa      Tried: Das MX BLUE  

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1539 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 21:12:53 »
This looks real cool.
Would've been nice since it's not real expansive and I am new to the mech keyboards and clueless :D

elton5354 are you from Toronto?
Do you think you will have extra sets I could buy off from you directly once they ship it to you?(Maybe someone will back out?)

If no-one does back out, it is quite possible that KeyPop might have a few sets for sale.

Offline last_sd

« Reply #1540 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 08:34:44 »
no-one does back out, it is quite possible that KeyPop might have a few sets for sale.
Nice!
Although I would rather not deal with international shipping, it seems like it is almost impossible not to with mech keycaps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1541 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 15:07:03 »
no-one does back out, it is quite possible that KeyPop might have a few sets for sale.
Nice!
Although I would rather not deal with international shipping, it seems like it is almost impossible not to with mech keycaps.

Tell me about it!

Offline elton5354

« Reply #1542 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 16:10:52 »
I'm from Toronto. I am going to do a pickup session when I get them.

Offline KeyPop

• * Vendor
  • www.KeyPop.net [키팝.net]
    • KeyPop.net
« Reply #1543 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 20:12:51 »
There seems to be much discussion on our part regarding the space bars.
Our current plans are to incorporate polycarbonate spacebars for each color(with the exception of black, having a normal black space bar or a clear polycarbonate space bar)

So red sets will have red polycarbonate space bars and yellow will have yellow polycarbonate space bars.
We will be hosting a group buy soon for the space bars once the bumble bee set group buy has met it's deadline (Aug 24th) for those who are interested.
We will also be providing standard white space bars for those who prefer not to have a polycarbonate version.

We will not be pursuing other solid colored space bars for now.

Hope this helps clear any confusion!
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 August 2013, 20:14:51 by KeyPop »

Offline last_sd

« Reply #1544 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 21:10:04 »
I'm from Toronto. I am going to do a pickup session when I get them.
Nice!

Offline Flamingchook

• There are no dumb questions, only forbidden ones.
« Reply #1545 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 21:13:23 »
Our current plans are to incorporate polycarbonate spacebars for each color(with the exception of black, having a normal black space bar or a clear polycarbonate space bar)

So red sets will have red polycarbonate space bars and yellow will have yellow polycarbonate space bars.
We will be hosting a group buy soon for the space bars once the bumble bee set group buy has met it's deadline (Aug 24th) for those who are interested.
We will also be providing standard white space bars for those who prefer not to have a polycarbonate version.

That sounds fantastic thanks KeyPop!
MX: Filco Majestouch Metalic Blue 104-key w/ MX Brown, JD40 w/ MX Green, ErgoDox w/ MX Blue, GHPad w/ MX Blue. Topre: Realforce 87U 45g. BS: IBM Model M 52G9700 29-OCT-93
Soon™: GH60 w/ 62g MX Clear, [CTRL]ALT 60 w/ MX Green

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1546 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 21:16:55 »

That sounds awesome!

Thank you very much ;D

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #1547 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 21:51:07 »
Keycap sets are $9 without space bars.
Matching space bars are an additional $45 each. ;)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #1548 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 01:35:03 »
Polycarb spacebar? Yay!

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1549 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 02:24:12 »

Thank you for presenting your plans concerning the spacebars!

I am not really sure though whether I'd like to have a single polycarbonate key on my board. Might look a bit off. Maybe it should come with a matching polycarbonate ESC key to have something else in the same style on the board.

I assume those will be made by SP and not match the Tai Hao profile right?
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 August 2013, 02:36:30 by LechnerDE »