Author Topic: [IC]GMK Triumph Adler [LIVE!!!!]  (Read 175178 times)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: [IC] GMK Triumph Adler
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 15:35:01 »
- Negotiate back w/ them to lower MOQ as much as possible, and try to get significant vendor/overseas support. If we can get MOQ down to 700, GH could buy 300, Koreans 100-200, and vendors the rest. Very difficult but not impossible.

I really want this set to be made so if we can't hit MOQ I'll kick in extra money for more sets, not sure how anyone else feels about this.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline intelli78

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 15:58:24 »
After sleeping on it, I think we should go with the first option. Let me ask them about the 700 number and see how much we can drop down the MOQ.
Then, I want to get some preliminary renders from them. In terms of key selection, I will probably duplicate what Ivan did in the Dolch GB just as a point of reference.

I want people to see the renders, which I think will drum up more excitement.
Then, we'll take it from there and reach out to Korean forums, DT, vendors and possibly Massdrop -- they might be able to play a big role in reaching buyers.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 16:02:18 »
After sleeping on it, I think we should go with the first option. Let me ask them about the 700 number and see how much we can drop down the MOQ.
Then, I want to get some preliminary renders from them. In terms of key selection, I will probably duplicate what Ivan did in the Dolch GB just as a point of reference.

Then, we'll take it from there and reach out to Korean forums, DT, vendors and possibly Massdrop -- they might be able to play a big role in reaching buyers.

If you go with Ivan's key selection please add "`~" and "\|" keys in both colors so people can chose between classic and symmetrical look.

And just for the record:    I'd also prefer ANSI icon + text legends and not only icons :)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 16:03:38 »

This sounds sensible. Good luck! Keep us posted!

Add an A-profile bottom row and exact 3000HAU legends and I'd love you forever :-*
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline intelli78

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 16:04:57 »
We can definitely have that conversation later... For now I just want to get something tangible so people can see how awesome the set will look.
I will talk to GMK about how to best duplicate the color, since we'll be going off of images on a computer screen (unless someone is willing/able to lend a TA keycap)

Offline Den441

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 17:28:08 »
We can definitely have that conversation later... For now I just want to get something tangible so people can see how awesome the set will look.
I will talk to GMK about how to best duplicate the color, since we'll be going off of images on a computer screen (unless someone is willing/able to lend a TA keycap)

Yeah I think you should go with the 700 approach too. Higher cost maybe? I don't know how others feel about that, but I would be willing to pay a little more for a set if that helped it get made. If you can get it past that point, I think an interest check form would go well with the mockups to gauge interest and help decide other features of the set. The blue used on the alphas was darker on the original TA sets. You may be able to use just one custom teal though to get the look down. Two custom colors is probably out of the question anyway.
Custom Wrist Rests, Artisan Keycaps, and more - http://battlestation.io

Sales Thread - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74835.0

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 19:30:58 »
If you go with Ivan's key selection please add "`~" and "\|" keys in both colors so people can chose between classic and symmetrical look.

And just for the record:    I'd also prefer ANSI icon + text legends and not only icons :)
glad to see you tirelessly fighting the good fight :D i too would cancel any other potential GMK purchase to buy more than one TA set if it helps reach MOQ. if i ever wanted to, reselling/trading them would be simple enough (like how a bunch of people were late to Ivan's Dolch GB)

Offline Cherry1990

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 06:10:58 »
Show Image
I am interested in the original colours set, very nice. This one seems compatible with Cherry G80-3000 anche I have a lot of them...
PBT only, of course, for me. :(
PBT forever!

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 06:44:46 »
Show Image
I am interested in the original colours set, very nice. This one seems compatible with Cherry G80-3000 anche I have a lot of them...
PBT only, of course, for me. :(

Well this set is probably going to be in abs only since that's the only way to get white on teal legends.
I seriously don't get why people swear by PBT. Gmk is amazing.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 08:57:04 »
Could we get a cheaper set of gmk mods only?
I would also like only a modifier pack, but with a ISO Return key. This is to be used for when/if I get hold of a set from a typewriter with my national layout.

I suppose that, like in most other groups buys, that the alphanumeric keys are most likely to be offered only in US-ANSI layout.

Offline pasph

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 11:06:43 »
Maybe with some blanks too?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 17:03:18 »
I'd be interested in the original colorway. I don't think we should even bother discussing the aged teal color. It's impractical and prohibitively expensive to replicate what is essentially the yellowed look of aged ABS plastic. The classic TA/Olivetti is clearly the superior colorway

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 18:19:31 »
The original actually is beautiful before it was yellowed. Having the lighter blue N5 plastic for a mods kit to be ran along with Olivetti would be a smarter and more realistic goal in my opinion.
Kind of a bad photo, but I can't find a better one of what it's really supposed to look like at the moment

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 18:45:13 »
Now THAT would be quite a GB. Olivetti w/ Dario 286 mod pack in place of the usual color splash packs. Ivan has me convinced, we gotta have it this way.

Offline Elocutive

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 18:52:50 »
If you ran a mod only pack you have a legitimate chance of hitting the MOQ for this.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 November 2014, 19:32:42 by Elocutive »
LZCE- Black, red, ergo clears

Wanting Skeldon

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 18:55:00 »
If ran a mod only pack you have a legitimate chance of hitting the MOQ for this.

I like this idea. I really only care about having the coloured caps since blue on grey keys could easily work for the others.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Rainbow_

• zealio master race
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 19:25:23 »
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY
oh wait I'm broke
Zealio Master Race

Offline intelli78

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 19:34:59 »
Although it would be a damn shame not to produce teal-on-gray alphas at the same time, I would at least be open to considering a teal mod pack, better to have that than nothing at all. However, there can be no compromise on using blue. The teal is, existentially, what would make it a TA replica. The original color of the TA caps isn't relevant as far as I am concerned... there is already an Olivetti IC, and there is Raindrop... blue sets already exist.

Offline Elocutive

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 19:47:41 »
Although it would be a damn shame not to produce teal-on-gray alphas at the same time, I would at least be open to considering a teal mod pack, better to have that than nothing at all. However, there can be no compromise on using blue. The teal is, existentially, what would make it a TA replica. The original color of the TA caps isn't relevant as far as I am concerned... there is already an Olivetti IC, and there is Raindrop... blue sets already exist.
I only came up with the idea as brainstorming to get this to actually happen. I want the alphas just as bad as you  :))
LZCE- Black, red, ergo clears

Wanting Skeldon

Offline intelli78

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 19:50:12 »
Yea. Good. I'm preparing another email to GMK, will keep everyone updated.

Right now the most helpful discussion would be re: how to meet a high MOQ. There is no point in debating the legends at this point, and not to be a ****, but sacrificing the teal just isn't going to happen. As I have stated, a blue colorway would be a totally different GB.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 19:53:41 »
Awesome, I completely agree that teal is the way to go. Also it would be perfect if alphas were also available.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 20:44:54 »

I am totally agree with this.  If running a blue mods, it would just become a raindrop mods..

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 07:02:02 »
Seriously this set would suit my bluish grey anodized lightsaver
as long as there is a support for 1800 layout... (1x "0", 1x "+", 1x "-")
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 07:46:56 »

glad to see you tirelessly fighting the good fight :D i too would cancel any other potential GMK purchase to buy more than one TA set if it helps reach MOQ. if i ever wanted to, reselling/trading them would be simple enough (like how a bunch of people were late to Ivan's Dolch GB)

Haha, yeah I post this in every god damn GMK IC. I think this is a reasonable wish and adding two simple keys wouldn't cost a fortune.

On Topic:

I'll definitely buy 2 extra sets to help MOQ if needed. I'd also be okay with a teal Mod only set that includes all neccessary Mod keys for fullsize ANSI / ISO boards.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 15:19:09 »
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ TEXT MODS OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ ANSI MODS OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 11:56:26 »
Any update? I don't want this idea to die  :'(

Offline renne

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 18:15:28 »
Any update? I don't want this idea to die  :'(
+1

Offline intelli78

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 18:16:09 »
I'm very busy with work right now. I'll follow up with GMK in a week or so.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 00:51:51 »
Cool thanks!

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 01:15:38 »
In for a set

Offline tobias

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 11:47:41 »
Oh my god... Looking good... Make it happen!!!

Offline intelli78

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 14:44:34 »
Email dispatched to GMK about how we can reduce the MOQ. I told them that GH is a good source of business but 1,000 may be impossible. Let's see if they have any ideas about how to make it happen.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 11 December 2014, 15:07:01 »
Great news! Fingers crossed.

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 01:42:28 »
Wow 1000  :eek:

Definitely try a lower MOQ. How much can we expect it to cost roughly? Something like the Dolch ~$150?

Offline intelli78

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 03:16:24 »
Some potentially VERY good news-- they are open to using a 500 MOQ with a price premium. Not sure what that would be yet-- but that's a major hurdle out of the way.

Price will of course depend on the premium, whatever that is, and the layout. there will be people advocating for adding all sorts of keys, as you know, and every one will increase the price. broadly we will have to choose something on the spectrum between a minimal, low price set of ANSI TKL only, and a full set with a huge mod pack. Where we come down will affect the price significantly, but will try to be as accommodating as possible by splitting it into a base and mod pack, and maybe a number pack too.

Another thing-- ideally we need an original yellowed (teal) cap to send them for color matching. If anyone has one,  please PM me, I am also contacting some people whom I know to own the board. If no one is willing to lend a cap, we'll likely need to order some color chips or a Capsure device to read the color.

I'm out of the woods with my work project, so I'm free to put more time into this...expect more news soon...and hopefully some initial mockups.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 04:18:16 »
Hopefully I'll have a job by the time this goes into ordering phase. Great news intelli!

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 04:42:15 »
Thats great news Intelli!

Ideally I'd prefer a well rounded set like Ivan did in his Dolch GB with full ISO Support and everything.

Looking at the MOQ and the premium price though, I think this won't work.

Therefore I think it's best to focus on a simple ANSI 104 fullsize set including a Tsangan kit - not more not less  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 December 2014, 04:45:55 by LechnerDE »

Offline renne

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 05:22:31 »

Ideally I'd prefer a well rounded set like Ivan did in his Dolch GB with full ISO Support and everything.

Therefore I think it's best to focus on a simple ANSI 104 fullsize set including a Tsangan kit - not more not less  :thumb:
Agree! 104 full size + tsangan + iso + 1.75 shift = good for everyone.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 06:10:57 »
simple ANSI 104 fullsize set including a Tsangan kit - not more not less  :thumb:

Agree!

+ iso + 1.75 shift

ahaha, so it begins  :p

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 06:28:28 »

Agree! 104 full size + tsangan + iso + 1.75 shift = good for the people it's good for and useless for everyone else

FTFY
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline geniekid

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 08:37:19 »
Personally I wouldn't buy a minimal set but objectively that's probably the best choice.  You will need vendor support to meet this kind of MOQ and I'm inclined to believe vendors prefer minimal sets.

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 13:34:01 »
If I was to have only one GMK set it would be this one, so I'm fine with a complete kit.

Offline Rainbow_

• zealio master race
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 15:48:46 »
I vote we have the same set of keys that the Dolch GMK buy had, being ISO, Tsangan, and a 104 ANSI set.
Zealio Master Race

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 16:04:32 »
I vote we have the same set of keys that the Dolch GMK buy had, being ISO, Tsangan, and a 104 ANSI set.

I second this

Offline intelli78

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 07:44:18 »
I have requested an initial mockup. I asked them to duplicate Ivan's recent Dolch base set, although this may change. Will try to accommodate different needs as much as possible without inflating price. Also, I have requested normal text legends with shift arrows, not icon-only.

Right now I asked them to approximate the teal color for the modifiers based off a HEX code I provided, but for the final product, they will need at least one sample keycap. They promise to return it in undamaged condition. Does anyone have one of these boards? We need your help. May be able to get away with a teal cap from one of the other more common TA boards if needed.

Will keep you guys posted.

Offline intelli78

Re: [IC] GMK Triumph Adler [initial mockups requested]
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 07:45:22 »
Quick update: I have an initial mockup but I have some changes to make. Should be able to post something in the next week or so.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 11:18:04 »
Quick update: I have an initial mockup but I have some changes to make. Should be able to post something in the next week or so.

Thanks for the update  :thumb:

I really, really hope this GB will make it!!

Offline renne

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 16:43:33 »
good to know. thank you.

Offline mrdar206

• Tickle me Pink
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 01 January 2015, 01:07:54 »
Found some images of ANSI board from QINQIN- member of kbdmania and OTD forum:

« Last Edit: Thu, 01 January 2015, 12:53:55 by mrdar206 »

Offline intelli78

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 05 January 2015, 11:06:19 »
Still waiting, contact is on holiday