Author Topic: CPTBadAss' Razer Orbweaver Mod  (Read 34197 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
CPTBadAss' Razer Orbweaver Mod
« on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 21:02:41 »

First and foremost, I want to give people some shoutouts forhelping me on my little Orbweaver mod journey: Binge, Peter Pinard, Melvang, and Explosivo. Melvang answered all my random questions. Peter Pinard and Explosivo posted some helpful pictures. And of course, Binge is the man and sent me a Razer Orbweaver FOR FREE. :D

Now I was pretty happy with the Orbweaver. The layout took a little while for me to figure out. And it was a little awkward until I took Binge’s advice to extend the base all the way. You then rest your palm on the curved surface, not the flat one where the logo is. Anyways, I got used to it, I enjoyed this, and it was interesting….but not good enough. I mean look at this (Three pictures all borrowed from this lanoc review):

Orbweaver with the Green LEDs on

Stock Orbweaver – Top view

Stock Orbweaver – Bottom view

It’s so normal!! And green. We all know I like purple/pink/magenta.  So I make it that color and then added vintage MX Blacks. This mod wasn’t very easy because it was hard to open the case and there are a lot of very small parts. I ended up with four “extra” screws. And there’s a tiny ball bearing in the arm that I managed to lose. If you’re going to do this mod, TAKE PICTURES OF WHAT YOU TAKE APART. Literally every step, take a picture. I should’ve taken more. So here goes: a walkthrough of my mod.

This is my Orbweaver, there are many like it but this one is mine. And since it’s mine, I need more purple.

Removed thumb cluster

Bottom of the thumb cluster arm, note the removed bolts

This is a close up of the bottom, underneath the switches

Another close up of the bottom, underneath the palm rest

First, remove the three exposed screws that you see underneath the thumb cluster.  Gently try and slide this off. The arm has a groove that a small ball bearing sits in. SAVE THIS SOMEWHERE SAFE AND NOTE HOW THE BEARING RIDES IN THE GROOVE. I managed to lose mine. The arm still moves but it’s not as smooth. The thumb cluster will stay attached due to the cable but it will be out of the way for now.

Next you take off all the little plastic strips on the bottom. There will be screws like these from Peter Pinard on the top side underneath the switches. Under the palm rest, in the second photo in this set, you pull the bottom plate off. It’s glued on so you might need to pry it off. Don’t poke in the holes. Hold the Orbweaver around the palm rest, then put your flat head screwdriver in the little slot where the silver arm is. Gently pry up until it separates and then work the head around.

Bottom plate removed

Just the bottom plate pulled off

Thumb cluster arm with the screws removed.

Take out the screws in the bottom of the thumb cluster arm and pop off the arm. Extend the Orbweaver and then recline the wrist rest as far as you can go. Then you have to work what I’m calling the top plate. There is a lip on it that press fits against the bottom. You’ll have to work that off then slide it out from underneath the palm rest. This might take some time and is hard. When removed, it will look like this:

Bottom of the top plate

Top of the top plate

Now you have this: Exposed PCB

Remove the thumb cluster finally by unhooking the cable and sliding the cable out of the connector. Then work on the PCB.

The exposed PCB has two (or three) screws. Remove those. And then the PCB has four retaining arms that are molded into the case around the PCB, holding it in. YOU WILL HAVE TO BEND AND BREAK THESE. Literally just bend them aside to free the PCB. When you’ve bent the PCB arms, then flip the ribbon cable connector up. The little black thing will flip out. You can then remove the PCB. Then you swap in the switches like any other PCB. This solder on the PCB is terrible, so if you’re having a hard time, add a bit of new solder and then the joint should become wet.

Freed PCB with MX Blue switches

Bottom of the switch area, note the loose ribbon cable

Bottom of the PCB

PCB with MX Blacks partially swapped in

Once all the switches are swapped, then just work the process backwards. Put the PCB into the clips that remain. Put the screws back in, etc etc. When you reconnect the ribbon cable, you don’t need to force it. Just let it go in as far as it can, then flip the black bit down. MAKE SURE YOU TEST THE LEDs FIRST. It will light up even mostly unassembled.

IT’S SWAPPED BABY

LED check one two, one two

I don’t care if this picture’s lighting is off. I like how it looks. Assembled.

Better representation of the LED color

Me testing out the Orbweaver controls in Borderlands 2. I have a Level 58 Gunzerker right now.

Done. It works; even if I missed a few bits of hardware.

Question I have for all of you. Do you think I could dremel out the top plate so I can fit actual caps? The caps that are on it are currently derpy.

The plate has this weird design that is blocking the use of regular caps. So they have a super weird cap profile.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 September 2013, 09:00:58 by CPTBadAss »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: CPTBadAss' Orbweaver Mod
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 21:02:55 »
Mine just in case

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
Re: CPTBadAss' Razer Orbweaver Mod
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 21:11:05 »
"hey..hey..lets **** this guy over and make it impossible to open up the case" - Razer

This is really cool and if i ever get a gamepad, then i'll probably mod it just like you did.

also...dem pics. no more potatoes..it's a wonderful day   :))

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 21:19:02 »
Very throughout guide with good pics. I love it  :thumb:
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 21:32:16 »
Nice work cap'n love the new color on the LEDs, I suggest going full-monte and mod the plate.

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 21:38:59 »
Nice job BA.

John

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 23:37:29 »
Best LEDs :)
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 00:27:45 »
Awesome job man, can't wait to see it!

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 01:16:32 »
Nice! 

As far as modding that top plate, it looks as though if you cut out the grid, you would be removing 2 of the mounting points.  How structural is the top panel?  Could you just grind down the top area so that all that is left is the narrow grids underneath?  That might let you have enough structure to hold it together.  Or maybe epoxy some additional support on them after grinding down the top?  Short of that, get some dsa blanks and cut the skirts down. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 05:40:09 »
Awesome. Apart from the missing ball bearing, does it feel any different after having been taken apart and put back together again?

Also those LEDs look great, would love to do that to mine but that wouldn't really fit in that well on my desk :/

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 05:58:41 »
Thanks for all the kind words. This was pretty hard. Like dubsgalore is alluding to, I was *****ing about opening the case up for a few days because it was a PITA. Plus I didn't know the plate was a snap fit. OH! SHOUTOUTS TO THESOULHUNTER FOR TELLING ME THAT!

Nice! 

As far as modding that top plate, it looks as though if you cut out the grid, you would be removing 2 of the mounting points.  How structural is the top panel?  Could you just grind down the top area so that all that is left is the narrow grids underneath?  That might let you have enough structure to hold it together.  Or maybe epoxy some additional support on them after grinding down the top?  Short of that, get some dsa blanks and cut the skirts down. 

I literally had the same thought process that you did. I think you have to cut the entire grid out because if not, the grid literally leaves no room for caps. I was also thinking that I could either cut the mounting points off and epoxy them back in or literally epoxy the top shut. The top plate holds the top together though. Even though there were a billion screws, I think its still necessary for all the mounting points to be there in some form.....but I'm not 100% sure. I have some DSA and SA caps. I'll have to play with those to see how it goes.

Awesome. Apart from the missing ball bearing, does it feel any different after having been taken apart and put back together again?

Also those LEDs look great, would love to do that to mine but that wouldn't really fit in that well on my desk :/

It feels exactly the same except now instead of having a smooth rolling action, the arm is a bit loose. I also managed to pop out the spring that controls the angle in the palm rest so that feels a little off as well. But everything still actuates and moves as it should. And when I have it setup on my desk, it feels exactly as it did pre-mod.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 06:08:30 »
Really nice!
bought again for right hand make ergo keyboard :p
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Xtract

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 08:51:00 »
This is amazing! I am considering on buying it and if i will, will you help me do something like you did?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 09:00:02 »
Really nice!
bought again for right hand make ergo keyboard :p

Good luck with that project. Binge told me he did something similar but I couldnt get used to how he had to setup all the function layers to get access to all the letters and numbers.

This is amazing! I am considering on buying it and if i will, will you help me do something like you did?

Help you like answers questions or help you like mod it for you?

I'm more than happy to help you with questions, but after my own experience with my orbweaver, I've decided I shouldnt mod anyone else's until I get more practice. I dont want to mess anyone else's up. Like I said I lost a ball bearing and have extra screws since I wasnt careful.

Offline Xtract

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 09:04:49 »
I want question and answers.. It will be very helpful if i will get the Orbweaver i guess i will contact you

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 09:12:51 »
Oh absolutely, in that case I'd be more than happy to help. PM or post here :D. I don't mind modding stuff for other people but since I messed mine up a little, I didn't want to chance it for anyone else. That's all ^__^

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 10:35:27 »
Doublepost!

mistakemistake and I were taking a closer look at this last weekend. Even if I dremel out all of the grid, the caps are slightly different and taper at the bottom. I'd have to shave some keycaps to get it to fit. Not sure if I want to do that. Thoughts anyone?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 00:57:55 »
For future reference this is where the ball bearing came from.  You shouldn't need to pull this part from the arm that it slides on.  If you feel you must take it apart if you want to avoid losing the ball bearing put the thumb pod inside a gallon sized ziplock baggie before you take the cover off.  This way if the ball bearing falls out you know exactly where it is.

37160-0

Also when reassembling if you tighten the middle screw to much the  thumb pod will not slide on the plate.  Just loosen the middle screw up say 1/4 turn until it moves freely or set it where you like and lock it down.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 02:51:35 »
Btw, if you cut down OEM keycaps they will work with the Orbweaver...
Another option would be some sort of stem extenders (male one side, female on the other).

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 04:08:00 »
Another option would be some sort of stem extenders (male one side, female on the other).

Wouldn't an extender make the caps wobbly?

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 05:16:02 »
If it fits well, probably not more wobbly than the stock Orbweaver caps...
If someone wants to make DIY extenders, best go with clear stems and tight fit key-stems (SP DSA perhaps).
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 September 2013, 05:20:31 by TheSoulhunter »

Offline CYBER-NINJA

• The Grim Reaper is my Alter-Ego!!!
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 17:29:32 »
@BadAss' -

Top job and a very through build log. I have a couple of questions if I may?  :))

1). I was thinking about swapping the switches for MX Reds, are the switches easy to swap?

2). Are the LEDs also easy to swap?

3). Was there much soldering required within the build?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 October 2013, 17:41:17 by CYBER-NINJA »
:cool: Seduced by the Dark Side!!! :cool:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 17:31:32 »
1). I was thinking about swapping the switches for MX Reds, are the switches easy to swap?

0) Please don't post in that font, it hurts my eyes.

1 and 2) The actual swapping of the LEDs and switches was the normal modding experience. If you need a reference point, it takes me about 8 minutes to solder an entire row on a TKL board and about the same to desolder. Pretty easy. It was opening the case and disassembly that was a *****.

3) Yes, most keyboard modding will require you to learn how to solder.

I was trying to avoid cutting any keycaps. I think it will affect how they feel in a negative way.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 October 2013, 17:37:59 by CPTBadAss »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 18:31:56 »
So I opened mine up today, ball-bearing is still there although it got lost in the thumb pad so I had to open that and get it out. Making sure the bearing stayed in place where it's supposed to go was a real pain.
Other than that it wasn't really that hard to take apart, the hard part was desoldering due to the lead-free solder. I did 2 switches, then realised I had no idea what I'd actually do, since I want to save the blacks I have and I don't know how I'd go about making the blues into linears, so for now it'll stay blue until I figure out what to do with it. But at least I know how to take it apart for when I finally do figure it out.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 02:44:49 »
Doublepost!

mistakemistake and I were taking a closer look at this last weekend. Even if I dremel out all of the grid, the caps are slightly different and taper at the bottom. I'd have to shave some keycaps to get it to fit. Not sure if I want to do that. Thoughts anyone?

Measure the key spacing (centre to centre). If it's at least 19mm you should be able to use normal caps. Otherwise filing the edges of standard caps may do the job if they interfere with each other. Some DSA caps are a little smaller edge to edge than OEM cylindrical caps, but then you lose the nice contour.

I'd probably go with removing the whole grid area and filing down some PBT caps to fit if they interfere with each other. If you prefer POM, I'm not sure how they take to filing, but I suspect it would be easier to shave them with a sharp knife instead.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 09:38:09 »
Doublepost!

Measure the key spacing (centre to centre). If it's at least 19mm you should be able to use normal caps. Otherwise filing the edges of standard caps may do the job if they interfere with each other. Some DSA caps are a little smaller edge to edge than OEM cylindrical caps, but then you lose the nice contour.

I'd probably go with removing the whole grid area and filing down some PBT caps to fit if they interfere with each other. If you prefer POM, I'm not sure how they take to filing, but I suspect it would be easier to shave them with a sharp knife instead.

Standard caps will fit onto the switches but due to the weird grid that Razer installed between the switches and the caps they will not press down far enough to trigger a key press.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 12:30:19 »
If I'm going to destroy caps, I'm going to get my hands on a cheap set to do so. Maybe a set of Cherry ABS or PBT from a G80-MY1800. I'm not sure how I want to proceed with this project yet. Going to play with it and enjoy it as is and see if any ideas come from me or the community later ^__^.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 13:41:58 »
If I'm going to destroy caps, I'm going to get my hands on a cheap set to do so. Maybe a set of Cherry ABS or PBT from a G80-MY1800. I'm not sure how I want to proceed with this project yet. Going to play with it and enjoy it as is and see if any ideas come from me or the community later ^__^.

You should cut up an original Cherry red Esc key for the top left corner.  ;D

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 13:44:17 »

I could always make cast orbweaver caps :p
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 13:45:41 »
Have you considered cutting out that grid under the caps?  With that gone I don't see how standard caps won't fit.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 18:38:06 »
Yes I talked about this in the OP but I think the way the switches are laid out, the bottom row of caps is going to fit weird.

Offline roads

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:09:15 »
The thumb side part how do I open it? Please someone.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:16:23 »
I said this in the other post but I think that is glued/snap fit shut. You'll have to carefully work it open. I didn't see any other screws.

Offline neoezekiel

• My GW2 Guild - The Fallen Souls [SouL]
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 04:50:51 »
I have one that has been on the shelf for a few months now. It saw about 16 hours of play before I raged over the layout and caps, sad too as it could ave been wonderful.

I may try out swapping to to the vintage blacks I have laying around after my 1800 project ( which is still a WIP  :rolleyes: ) .

Any suggestions as far as dealing with the crappy synapse lock-in?
WTB: Cherry G80-2550, GnCC/CCnG sets, led mx greens, mx dark greys, Plate Design Service, Case Design Service

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 05:05:57 »
I have one that has been on the shelf for a few months now. It saw about 16 hours of play before I raged over the layout and caps, sad too as it could ave been wonderful.

I may try out swapping to to the vintage blacks I have laying around after my 1800 project ( which is still a WIP  :rolleyes: ) .

Any suggestions as far as dealing with the crappy synapse lock-in?

Some people have talked about hacking the firmware and some have talked about doing a teensy mod but to my knowledge neither has been finished.

Offline neoezekiel

• My GW2 Guild - The Fallen Souls [SouL]
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 06:56:48 »
From how it looks the switches should be easy to change once the top of the unit is removed and I doubt that the LEDs would be any more difficult to change that any others.

Switches are just a matter of changing the stems and springs, LEDs should just be 2 solder points.

@BadAss' -

Top job and a very through build log. I have a couple of questions if I may?  :))

Thanks

WTB: Cherry G80-2550, GnCC/CCnG sets, led mx greens, mx dark greys, Plate Design Service, Case Design Service

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 09:32:43 »
From how it looks the switches should be easy to change once the top of the unit is removed and I doubt that the LEDs would be any more difficult to change that any others.

Switches are just a matter of changing the stems and springs, LEDs should just be 2 solder points.

@BadAss' -

Thanks

The LEDs are a bit tougher than it looks.  Small pads with lead free solder can be a pain depending on your equipment.

Offline EpicBlob

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 09:42:40 »
Hey sweet mod! thinking of doing this once I get my Orbweaver as well.

Also, I was wondering if the keycaps can have o-rings put on them. I bought the regular version so noise might be an issue for me. Do the modified keycaps not allow o-rings or will it be fine? Thanks!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 10:03:37 »

Also, I was wondering if the keycaps can have o-rings put on them. I bought the regular version so noise might be an issue for me. Do the modified keycaps not allow o-rings or will it be fine? Thanks!

You should still be able to put o-rings on them but it is fairly quiet as far as blue switches go.  If you want to swap out the stems and springs all you have to de-solder is the LEDs.  After that you can pull the switch tops off and swap what you want.  I would recommend moding the top half to allow the removal of the top after the LED is reinstalled.  If you want to change the color of the LEDs the voltage being applied to the LEDs is 3.4 with the brightness in synapse set to high.

Offline EpicBlob

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 10:17:35 »

You should still be able to put o-rings on them but it is fairly quiet as far as blue switches go.  If you want to swap out the stems and springs all you have to de-solder is the LEDs.  After that you can pull the switch tops off and swap what you want.  I would recommend moding the top half to allow the removal of the top after the LED is reinstalled.  If you want to change the color of the LEDs the voltage being applied to the LEDs is 3.4 with the brightness in synapse set to high.

Alright thanks, I'll probably buy some as it's only like $8 for a pack on amazon. So if I wanted to say, put MX blacks on the orbweaver, All I'd have to do is by some black keys, take the stem and springs out, replace the cherry blues, and de solder the LEDs? Would the new keys be able to have the LEDs isntalled onto them or is that what you were talking about with modding the top half? Thanks! Thinking of going with blue and modding my sidewinder x4 to blue aswell.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 10:55:40 »

Alright thanks, I'll probably buy some as it's only like $8 for a pack on amazon. So if I wanted to say, put MX blacks on the orbweaver, All I'd have to do is by some black keys, take the stem and springs out, replace the cherry blues, and de solder the LEDs? Would the new keys be able to have the LEDs isntalled onto them or is that what you were talking about with modding the top half? Thanks! Thinking of going with blue and modding my sidewinder x4 to blue aswell.

The mod to the top half of the switch just involves cutting out the plastic where the small circle with the slot is out.  so that the LED will slide through the hole you cut into the switch top.  After this you can solder the LEDs back in and the switch top will be able to be removed without removing the LEDs.  Just remember you only have to desolder the LEDs.  The switches do not need to be desoldered because they are PCB mount and no plate is installed.  Just keep in mind that due to the plastic piece that fits around the switches standard caps can't be used without cutting the sides of the cap down.

Offline EpicBlob

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 11:01:48 »

The mod to the top half of the switch just involves cutting out the plastic where the small circle with the slot is out.  so that the LED will slide through the hole you cut into the switch top.  After this you can solder the LEDs back in and the switch top will be able to be removed without removing the LEDs.  Just remember you only have to desolder the LEDs.  The switches do not need to be desoldered because they are PCB mount and no plate is installed.  Just keep in mind that due to the plastic piece that fits around the switches standard caps can't be used without cutting the sides of the cap down.

Oh ok sweet. Doesn't seem that bad actually. Probably won't be able to accomplish this for a bit (in the middle of finals) but once I do I'll write up on it. Btw do you know if someone sells a row of keys with the different MX switches on them? Never used a mechanical keyboard lol so i probably want to feel each one before deciding.

Edit: Found these. Are these the cheapest I'll find? http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-keycap-cherry-mx-switch-o-ring-sampler-kit.html
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 January 2014, 11:04:29 by EpicBlob »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 11:29:59 »
That will be about your best bet.  Keep in mind that the switches will feel different in a keypad/board but will give you an idea how they compare to each other.  I believe there is a link in the simple questions and answers thread  comparing the 9 MX switches to each other.

Offline cdh

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 23:34:02 »
Hello,

Nice job on the mod! I would like to mod mine only to change the LED color. Can you explain how that is done? I was not able to determine what to do from the pics. Also would it be possible for me to put in a RBG Led mod so I can change the color at any time from maybe software?

Thank you!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 07:51:46 »
I would like to mod mine only to change the LED color. Can you explain how that is done? I was not able to determine what to do from the pics.

Buy a different color LED, desolder the original Blue LEDs in the Orbweaver, solder in the new LEDs. LED color swap complete.

Also would it be possible for me to put in a RBG Led mod so I can change the color at any time from maybe software?

Synapse, the software that Razer forces you to use on your Orbweaver, does not allow you to switch colors. In fact, from my disassembly, I think that they don't ever intend on the enduser opening the unit. I've also never seen a replacement for the Synapse software so I'm not sure if you can do this.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 07:53:25 »
I would like to mod mine only to change the LED color. Can you explain how that is done? I was not able to determine what to do from the pics.
Buy a different color LED, desolder the original Blue LEDs in the Orbweaver, solder in the new LEDs. LED color swap complete.
Might want to change the resistor(s) too.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 08:07:40 »
I didn't switch out the resistors when I put in some UV/purple 2x3x4mm LEDs. Worked fine for me but you're right that it might be needed for different colors.

Offline -Karakurt-

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 10:38:41 »
Hi,

Sorry to bump the thread but I need some help.

So I was trying to disassemble the thumb pad and see why it was moving, but when I did that the ball bearing dropped, fortunately I didn't lose it however I didn't see where it dropped from. Where and how exactly am I supposed to put the ball bearing back in?

Thanks in advance!

Offline -Karakurt-

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 18:31:12 »
Nobody owns it or what?

Offline -Karakurt-

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 07:30:07 »
Bump!

I can't use my Orbweaver until I get the ball bearing issue fixed. Please help.