Author Topic: R4 Zealio Switch/Zeal60RGB/Zealencio Silencing Clips/Transparent Screw-in Stabs!  (Read 306684 times)

Offline leang

Hey, Wilba. Appreciate all the hard work. Right now, the options for layer indicators are for one specific LED, all, or none. Any way to pass multiple locations?

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
Hey, Wilba. Appreciate all the hard work. Right now, the options for layer indicators are for one specific LED, all, or none. Any way to pass multiple locations?

Not at this time... it would take up too much space in EEPROM. What do you want to do exactly? I could add other "named" locations like "mods", "alphas", etc. Or only indicate switches that are different in the active layer. Or do a whole row. Or some other preset group of LEDs.

Offline leang

In my keymap, I have both capslock and split-rshift mapped to FN1. Layer indicator is set to turn capslock to red, and it works great, but it would be nice if both capslock AND split-rshift both turned red. I was thinking that it could be possible to pass multiple row/col pairs. Something like:

Code: [Select]
layer_1_indicator_row_col=[0,2][3,13]
That would also allow for some interesting layout lighting, say, for arrows or 10-key.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
In my keymap, I have both capslock and split-rshift mapped to FN1. Layer indicator is set to turn capslock to red, and it works great, but it would be nice if both capslock AND split-rshift both turned red. I was thinking that it could be possible to pass multiple row/col pairs. Something like:

That would also allow for some interesting layout lighting, say, for arrows or 10-key.

Yeah I would like to do that, but storing multiple switch locations would take up too much room in EEPROM. Best case scenario is storing 72 "bits" like I do with the mods/alphas keymap.

However, your use case could be handled... I'll look into a way of turning on the LEDs for all keys that can make that layer active, and you can use a special name like "activators" instead of a list of row/column pairs.

Offline leang

That's quite the limitation! I wouldn't worry too much about my specific scenario. Not sure how helpful it'll be to most people, and it would take up valuable space in EEPROM. I can get around that by using the spacebar LED the universal layer notification. Layer 1 will make spacebar red, layer 2 will make spacebar blue, and layer 3 will make spacebar purple (if it doesn't do weird things to the RGB controls). Perks of an acrylic case is that the R1 LEDs are really really prominent, and the effect is more subtle then all LEDs, but still nice.

Yeah I would like to do that, but storing multiple switch locations would take up too much room in EEPROM. Best case scenario is storing 72 "bits" like I do with the mods/alphas keymap.

However, your use case could be handled... I'll look into a way of turning on the LEDs for all keys that can make that layer active, and you can use a special name like "activators" instead of a list of row/column pairs.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
That's quite the limitation! I wouldn't worry too much about my specific scenario. Not sure how helpful it'll be to most people, and it would take up valuable space in EEPROM. I can get around that by using the spacebar LED the universal layer notification. Layer 1 will make spacebar red, layer 2 will make spacebar blue, and layer 3 will make spacebar purple (if it doesn't do weird things to the RGB controls). Perks of an acrylic case is that the R1 LEDs are really really prominent, and the effect is more subtle then all LEDs, but still nice.

Yeah, I made sure if the spacebar LED is the indicator, the stabs will also light up as well ;-)

I will do some more in this area... I'm thinking about the backlight effects that are there having an "indicator" mode. Rather than indicators being an overlay on top of what the backlight effect is doing, I could make each backlight effect do a different thing when an indicator is active, e.g. gradients get inverted, color 1/2 get swapped, etc.

Offline Mandeor

I thought I could save some EEPROM and not bother with numlock/scroll lock since they're hardly ever used.
I'm working in 2nd level-support, so in some cases it would be very convinient to have those leds. But I understand your point in saving EEPROM space, considering how less people use them.

Triple-tap for Layer 1/2 is easy to add. I assume you mean do the same thing as FN_TT13, hold for layer 1, triple-tap to toggle layer 2.
I'll add FN_TT12 next release.
Exactly, that would be a wonderful addition (for me).

... Or only indicate switches that are different in the active layer...
Would that be possible without burning too much EEPROM space? Very interested in that option.

In the end it's your decision, what gets in to manage the limited space available. I'm fine with that.
If I REALLY need a super special feature, well then I have to move my lazy a** and make my own firmware.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 January 2017, 11:52:38 by Mandeor »

Offline breckstar

I haven't updated to 0.5 yet but is there is a way to make the last color (random colors) to the raindrop mode? Adding in variable brightness and color? Just curious :)

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
I haven't updated to 0.5 yet but is there is a way to make the last color (random colors) to the raindrop mode? Adding in variable brightness and color? Just curious :)

Raindrop mode is in V0.5. :)
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Skuloth

Where are people sourcing plates for zeal 60s from?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline leang

They fit standard 60% plates, so Sentraq, Aliexpress, Massdrop, etc. I'm using a universal black aluminum plate from LeandreN's latest gb.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

Any standard 60% plate works. :)

------------------

R5 GB has also launched, pending approval in GB forums. Zeal60 is back, this time w/o limited quantities.

Offline leang

Aagh. I'm completely satisfied with my current Zeal60 + Zealios switches. Why am I tempted to get another set.

------------------

R5 GB has also launched, pending approval in GB forums. Zeal60 is back, this time w/o limited quantities.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder

------------------

So, I'm a bit strapped for funds since I've bought 3 boards this month already :(

Does this mean that I could join the GB on Feb 26th and still get it in April-May?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.

------------------

So, I'm a bit strapped for funds since I've bought 3 boards this month already :(

Does this mean that I could join the GB on Feb 26th and still get it in April-May?

Yes, though GB end date is subject to change depending on time slots with manufacturers. Will try to keep it open for as long as possible of course.

Offline breckstar

Raindrop mode is in V0.5. :)

Woohoo *high 5* now for that 65 to come out

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Hiya, peeps.  I'm sure it's been documented somewhere else, but I just wanted to tell about my experience with R4 stabilizers.  First off... they rock!  The quality makes authentic cherry feel super cheap.  Thick, rigid plastic, won't pull out when you have tight caps, and no need to clip mod.  What's not to like?

I did have an issue with my particular board, a GH60 Satan RevCHN (the cheap clone GH60s on ebay).  These boards are built for flexible layout and have a lot of extra holes to account for that.  The screw for the right stabilizer post on the enter key makes contact with one of the switch pads on the back, causing they keyboard to register Backspace, / , Enter, Shift, and right Control.  It's an easy fix with some tape to stop the contact, but just thought I would leave a note here for anyone experiencing issues.

Not my original photo, but I've circled everywhere you screw in the stabilizers on the Satan board (Green makes contact with leds which shouldn't cause issues, but red shows where trouble could occur)
159249-0

And here is a closeup of where I had issues on the Enter key stabilizer:

I guess that is an ISO hole?  Anyway, when the screw made contact here, it caused the board to register a lot of key presses and basically not work.  Simple fix was to put some tape over that hole before I screwed in the stabilizer.  Worked!

Great work on these, zeal.  I plan to order 2 more sets!

Offline TheNamesTy45

Ah, Zeal, I just want to say thanks! I have a Zeal60 and some 67G sitting in my cart. There are two voices speaking. Number 1 says, "Don't, your lady will actually end you for this." Voice number 2 says, "Yeah, but you'll die happy." It's been a good ride, but I think voice number 2 will be winning today.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨

Yeah, I made sure if the spacebar LED is the indicator, the stabs will also light up as well ;-)

I will do some more in this area... I'm thinking about the backlight effects that are there having an "indicator" mode. Rather than indicators being an overlay on top of what the backlight effect is doing, I could make each backlight effect do a different thing when an indicator is active, e.g. gradients get inverted, color 1/2 get swapped, etc.

I love the idea of having the 'back-lighting' act as a layer/mode indicator, instead of single LEDs. Something I've thought about for awhile, I think it would look really cool in action. :cool: :p

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
I guess that is an ISO hole?  Anyway, when the screw made contact here, it caused the board to register a lot of key presses and basically not work.  Simple fix was to put some tape over that hole before I screwed in the stabilizer.  Worked!

Great work on these, zeal.  I plan to order 2 more sets!

Unfortunately due to the way some PCBs are designed, there's a possibility of the screw grounding a whole column making the board cause the issues you've described. The solution would be to use a small piece of paper/tape. Zeal60 was designed around the stabilizers to work without issues.

But the upside is that the stabilizers will literally never pop out of your PCB...

Ah, Zeal, I just want to say thanks! I have a Zeal60 and some 67G sitting in my cart. There are two voices speaking. Number 1 says, "Don't, your lady will actually end you for this." Voice number 2 says, "Yeah, but you'll die happy." It's been a good ride, but I think voice number 2 will be winning today.

Cheers. :)

Offline JDT79

Hi Wilba

I've got my bat file setup with layers and working as I would normally with QMK, but I'm not sure how to implement macros? Could you offer some advice? Or, point me in the right direction?
Thanks,

Offline leang

I don't think macros are currently doable with the easy .bat method. You would need the default QMK method of using the make command to generate the .hex file, and flash it manually. It sounds like you have QMK experience already, but just in case:

1. Grab the latest QMK/Zeal6 zip from GitHub (https://github.com/Wilba6582/qmk_firmware/tree/zeal60).
2. Recreate your layout and add macros with config.h and keymap.c in /qmk_firmware/keyboards/zeal60/keymaps/JDT79 (QMK Wiki is very thorough: https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/wiki).
3. Use make command to build the .hex file, and flash it.

If you're on Windows, the easiest way I've found to get this done is to install the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/08/02/how-to-get-the-windows-10-anniversary-update). It gives you access to bash, which gives you access to make for the .hex. Then use skullydazed's QMK Firmware Flasher Gui (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82505.0) to flash it to your keyboard. Unfortunately, make dfu to flash it directly from bash doesn't work.

Hi Wilba

I've got my bat file setup with layers and working as I would normally with QMK, but I'm not sure how to implement macros? Could you offer some advice? Or, point me in the right direction?
Thanks,

Offline JDT79

Thanks Leang! Great advice!

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
Thanks Leang.

Unfortunately it's practically impossible to support all of the QMK features by storing some data in the EEPROM, because some of the more advanced QMK features rely of compiling code, like macros and special keystroke combos. What I'm doing is not like many other "configurators" which essentially compile TMK or QMK source code into a new firmware and program that to the PCB.

But the option is there for "power users" to build QMK with the Zeal60 specific features and do whatever they like.

Offline tofgerl

Zeal6... That would be an awesome name, but a somewhat unusable keyboard...

Offline tkim

Did anyone manage to get the mouse keys working? For some reason when I try to flash the mouse key hex file it makes the rest of the keyboard unusable.

Is it some sort of memory limitation or am I missing something here?

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
Did anyone manage to get the mouse keys working? For some reason when I try to flash the mouse key hex file it makes the rest of the keyboard unusable.

I'm confused, the zeal60_mousekey.hex works fine for me. Are you sure there's no problem during programming? i.e. You can program the zeal60_default.hex and it works, it only stops working after programming zeal60_mousekey.hex.

Perhaps the firmware is working, and the problem is with the host... what O/S are you using?

Offline Onimoger

This might sound stupid, but how do you correctly remove zealeancio silencing clips without breaking them?

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
This might sound stupid, but how do you correctly remove zealeancio silencing clips without breaking them?

Use a small flat head screwdriver from a mag kit and gently pry the tabs on the sides. Once one edge is off, the other end comes off easily.

Offline Mandeor

"...the zeal60_mousekey.hex works fine for me..."
Second that.

Perhaps the firmware is working, and the problem is with the host... what O/S are you using?
Can confirm, it's working for me under WinXP, Win7, Win10, Server2008R2, Server2012R2, LinuxMint, MacOS Sierra

Offline JDT79

What keys move the mouse on the mouse layer? I looked at the keymap and didn't see any keycodes that would move the mouse cursor?

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
What keys move the mouse on the mouse layer? I looked at the keymap and didn't see any keycodes that would move the mouse cursor?

I'll put a demo in the next release.
Unfortunately, I forgot to use the short 6-character aliases for the keycodes, only put the long ones in the last release, so the keymap might get a bit messy with the alignment. Will fix this next release.

If you want to use it right now, try these:

KC_MS_UP
KC_MS_DOWN
KC_MS_LEFT
KC_MS_RIGHT
KC_MS_BTN1
KC_MS_BTN2
KC_MS_BTN3
KC_MS_BTN4
KC_MS_BTN5
KC_MS_WH_UP
KC_MS_WH_DOWN
KC_MS_WH_LEFT
KC_MS_WH_RIGHT

Offline JDT79

Thanks Wilba very helpful!

Offline .mandeor

Unfortunately, I forgot to use the short 6-character aliases for the keycodes, only put the long ones in the last release, so the keymap might get a bit messy with the alignment. Will fix this next release.

Mhh, I'm using the following keycodes (V.05) and they work like a charm.

KC_WH_L
KC_WH_U
KC_WH_D
KC_WH_R
KC_BTN2
KC_MS_U
KC_BTN1
KC_BTN4
KC_MS_L
KC_MS_D
KC_MS_R
KC_BTN5
KC_BTN3

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech

Mhh, I'm using the following keycodes (V.05) and they work like a charm.

KC_WH_L
KC_WH_U
KC_WH_D
KC_WH_R
KC_BTN2
KC_MS_U
KC_BTN1
KC_BTN4
KC_MS_L
KC_MS_D
KC_MS_R
KC_BTN5
KC_BTN3

Thanks, my mistake... the shortened aliases were already in the list.
So ignore my last post, use these:

KC_MS_U
KC_MS_D
KC_MS_L
KC_MS_R
KC_BTN1
KC_BTN2
KC_BTN3
KC_BTN4
KC_BTN5
KC_WH_U
KC_WH_D
KC_WH_L
KC_WH_R
KC_ACL0
KC_ACL1
KC_ACL2

Offline tkim

I'm confused, the zeal60_mousekey.hex works fine for me. Are you sure there's no problem during programming? i.e. You can program the zeal60_default.hex and it works, it only stops working after programming zeal60_mousekey.hex.

I can flash the default firmware just fine, it works as expected but then I try flash with the mousekey.hex and it won't work, but judging by the responses and the plethora of OS's it must be something incorrect I am doing. :) I guess I will have to look at it again.

Offline Chronnoisseur

Recently got a zeal60 and I love it!  I'm having a couple technical issues though so I'm hoping someone here can help.  Forgive me if there are simple solutions, I'm kinda new to this.  I'm having trouble with these two lines in the bat file.

disable_when_usb_suspended=1 ^
After shutting down the computer blue lights stay on the kb.  It's disabled since I cant wake the computer but the lights are still on.  Anyway to turn these lights off completely?

disable_after_timeout=200 ^
I can edit the bat files fine except for this setting.  Changing the timeout doesnt seem to work for me.  The timeout works on the default 200 but seems to be around 10 minutes if I change it to any other value. 

Lastly, is there anyway to edit some of the lighting effects myself?  I like the reactive typing you have on the cycle all effect and would like to have the same reactive effect on some of the others.  Thanks

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
Recently got a zeal60 and I love it!  I'm having a couple technical issues though so I'm hoping someone here can help.  Forgive me if there are simple solutions, I'm kinda new to this.  I'm having trouble with these two lines in the bat file.

disable_when_usb_suspended=1 ^
After shutting down the computer blue lights stay on the kb.  It's disabled since I cant wake the computer but the lights are still on.  Anyway to turn these lights off completely?

disable_after_timeout=200 ^
I can edit the bat files fine except for this setting.  Changing the timeout doesnt seem to work for me.  The timeout works on the default 200 but seems to be around 10 minutes if I change it to any other value. 

Lastly, is there anyway to edit some of the lighting effects myself?  I like the reactive typing you have on the cycle all effect and would like to have the same reactive effect on some of the others.  Thanks

disable_when_usb_suspended=1 ^ will turn off backlight as soon as the host "suspends" the device, such as when the host is put in sleep or hibernate or shutdown.

disable_after_timeout=200 ^ will turn off the backlight after a timeout while the host is still active (i.e. not in sleep mode). A bit like how a screensaver kicks in after a while.

SO to clarify, "disable" doesn't mean the keyboard is disabled, only the backlight is turned off, it should still respond to keystrokes and "wake" a host etc.

It seems like when your host shuts down, it's not sending the usual USB suspend event, so the keyboard is not in a state to "wake" the host on a keystroke. I don't know why. Does this problem happen with other keyboards as well? i.e. can you "wake" your host from sleep using another keyboard?

It's possible that these features broke somehow, so I'll test them out and make sure they still work as intended.

Offline Chronnoisseur

Thanks for the quick reply.  I reset the keyboard settings and now suspend seems to be functioniong correctly.  The timeout seems to be working now too except when I set it to 120 for some reason the lights still go off after 10 minutes.  It's a non issue for me though since I have it set much lower and works fine.  So it seems a reset solved all my problems.  Really not sure how I messed that one up so bad lol.

Offline Jumie

Can I used qmk.sized.io to change the layout?

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
Can I used qmk.sized.io to change the layout?

No, that tool will build new firmware each time you change the layout, and then require programming the Zeal60 PCB with the new firmware.

The Zeal60 firmware only needs to be installed once, and then you can change it using a program on the PC that sends new layouts and backlight settings over USB.

See here for details: https://zealpc.net/blogs/news/programming-your-zeal60-rgb-pcb

Offline Jumie

My case is, I've successfully flash the default hex in flip, and then the next step is to choose the desire .bat file. I choose ansi poker2 but it says "error, device not found" thats where I am stuck right now. Oh I also cannot open zeal60.exe if that is a thing.

Offline Chronnoisseur

My case is, I've successfully flash the default hex in flip, and then the next step is to choose the desire .bat file. I choose ansi poker2 but it says "error, device not found" thats where I am stuck right now. Oh I also cannot open zeal60.exe if that is a thing.

Did you install the right ATMega32U4 drivers? Try following these steps.  It helped me with the initial setup.  After this you will only need to double click a bat file and it should work fine.  gl

http://blandname.com/2017/01/09/getting-started-with-the-zealpc-zeal60-keyboard-pcb/

Offline Mandeor

Did you reconnect the board after flashing?
- Program "zeal60_default.hex" using Flip
- Disconnect USB
- Connect USB
- Double-click on one of the "zeal60_keymap_*.bat" files to program a layout

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech

After "flashing" the hex to the PCB, the Zeal60 firmware needs to be running (i.e. NOT the bootloader) for zeal60.exe to work.

FLIP has a button "Start Application" for this, but you can also just disconnect and reconnect USB.

The .bat files execute zeal60.exe to do the work. zeal60.exe is just a command-line program so double-clicking it will just quickly show a console window - there is no window that stays open if you run it.

Offline JDragon

I saw a post about this on MassDrop as well, but I've been experiencing issues with the screw-in stabilizer wire popping loose when removing keycaps (both lubed and unlubed stabilizers). Would be nice to get the fit a little tighter, if possible, to avoid that issue. It can be really hard to reinstall the wire if it slides away.

Offline Zeal

• Zeal Generation Inc.
I saw a post about this on MassDrop as well, but I've been experiencing issues with the screw-in stabilizer wire popping loose when removing keycaps (both lubed and unlubed stabilizers). Would be nice to get the fit a little tighter, if possible, to avoid that issue. It can be really hard to reinstall the wire if it slides away.

Currently investigating the issue with Gateron. I personally haven't encountered it with my builds, but it may be due to the slightly tighter inserts with certain keycaps. Right now the best solution would be to pinch the horizontal stem a tiny bit once or twice. It should make keycap removal easier without accidentally pulling the wire out.

Offline JDragon

Currently investigating the issue with Gateron. I personally haven't encountered it with my builds, but it may be due to the slightly tighter inserts with certain keycaps. Right now the best solution would be to pinch the horizontal stem a tiny bit once or twice. It should make keycap removal easier without accidentally pulling the wire out.

If it helps with your investigation, it happened to me on Cherry MX Silent stems and Aristotle stems, both in Zealios housings, with DSA and Cherry profile (GMK) keycaps.

Offline Jumie

After "flashing" the hex to the PCB, the Zeal60 firmware needs to be running (i.e. NOT the bootloader) for zeal60.exe to work.

FLIP has a button "Start Application" for this, but you can also just disconnect and reconnect USB.

The .bat files execute zeal60.exe to do the work. zeal60.exe is just a command-line program so double-clicking it will just quickly show a console window - there is no window that stays open if you run it.

I'll try again later at home. How about the key mapping? Do I edit the .bat file to remap the layout?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder

If it helps with your investigation, it happened to me on Cherry MX Silent stems and Aristotle stems, both in Zealios housings, with DSA and Cherry profile (GMK) keycaps.

I thought it was just a random fluke, but it happened to me too.  Using R4 stabilizers, I was actually disassembling a board that I messed up and the wire came loose from the enter key while removing the keycap.  I thought maybe I had just not seated it properly.  It wasn't a big deal b/c I was already in the process of taking it apart.