Author Topic: [IC]Nasu - A premium Alice layout keyboard - Extras on Sunday 23/10  (Read 176189 times)

Offline TjarleN

Re: [IC]Nasu - A premium Alice layout keyboard (Important sale update)
« Reply #500 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 04:56:15 »
But this means the buyer will still have to solder the switches on?

Yes, the sentence was probably reused from the Mega. product page (which is a hotswap board).
In this case we most likely will have to take the case appart, solder our own switches on the pcb and put it back together.

The only option of Keebwerk even having switches for your order is if you purchase the one offered switch from the configurator.

Offline HephaestusWorks

« Reply #501 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 05:00:43 »
Hi HephaestusWorks,

Silly question. But this means the buyer will still have to solder the switches on?

“ Please be aware of:
this is a barebone keyboard – We assemble your board ready for you to place your switches and caps”

Not that your team will assemble and solder the switches on for the buyer right?

Thanks in advance!
Spoke to keebwerk about this, they accidentally transferred the text from the mega web page, which is hot swap. The Nasu will not come assembled and you'll have to solder it yourself.

Offline Taziza

« Reply #502 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 05:54:36 »
Quick question, will other alice style boards fit on this keyboard?

Offline acidbern

« Reply #503 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 06:16:55 »
Hi HephaestusWorks,

Silly question. But this means the buyer will still have to solder the switches on?

“ Please be aware of:
this is a barebone keyboard – We assemble your board ready for you to place your switches and caps”

Not that your team will assemble and solder the switches on for the buyer right?

Thanks in advance!
Spoke to keebwerk about this, they accidentally transferred the text from the mega web page, which is hot swap. The Nasu will not come assembled and you'll have to solder it yourself.

Thanks for sharing. Thought of just asking to clarify my doubts. I’m looking for hotswap options as I’m an idiot with soldering at the moment. The purple nasu looks really nice though…..  :confused:

Offline HephaestusWorks

« Reply #504 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 06:35:37 »
Quick question, will other alice style boards fit on this keyboard?
No they will not

Offline Taziza

« Reply #505 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 07:38:38 »
Hi HephaestusWorks,

“ Please be aware of:

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for sharing. Thought of just asking to clarify my doubts. I’m looking for hotswap options as I’m an idiot with soldering at the moment. The purple nasu looks really nice though…..  :confused:

I will try the millmax, the same PCB creator has made other boards on the past and, they supported that.
Unfortunately I don't have many switches in stock, and I want to try different plates as well. Therefore, for this type of experimentation it is always good a hotswap board, so lets see how it goes.

Nevertheless, I feel that keebwerk is missing an opportunity by not having a hotswap version. Thus, attending the price advantage, I don't see many people buying plates and PCBs just for the sake of experimentation.

Nevertheless, looking for the board in 5-6 months  ;D

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #506 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 08:04:24 »
Are there any pictures of the gaskets that you are using for the leaf spring? Are they mounted like on the left or on the right?

Offline HephaestusWorks

« Reply #507 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 08:11:57 »
Are there any pictures of the gaskets that you are using for the leaf spring? Are they mounted like on the left or on the right?

Show Image

Close to the right, we'll get some CAD pics soon

Offline HephaestusWorks

« Reply #508 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 08:16:26 »
Hi HephaestusWorks,

“ Please be aware of:

Thanks in advance!

I will try the millmax, the same PCB creator has made other boards on the past and, they supported that.
Unfortunately I don't have many switches in stock, and I want to try different plates as well. Therefore, for this type of experimentation it is always good a hotswap board, so lets see how it goes.

Nevertheless, I feel that keebwerk is missing an opportunity by not having a hotswap version. Thus, attending the price advantage, I don't see many people buying plates and PCBs just for the sake of experimentation.

Well, it was a conscious design decision not to include hot swap. We feel that hotswapable boards feel well, kinda horrible. But obviously it's up to you to do what you want with your pcb.

Offline HephaestusWorks

« Reply #509 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 08:18:23 »
Hi HephaestusWorks,

“ Please be aware of:

Thanks in advance!

Well, it was a conscious design decision not to include hot swap. We feel that hotswapable boards feel, a little bad if not done properly. There's nothing wrong with them obviously, just a personal decision not to include them as we felt that's not representative of the board and experience we wanted to deliver. But obviously it's up to you to do what you want with your pcb.

Offline HephaestusWorks

« Reply #510 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 08:56:08 »
Hi HephaestusWorks,

“ Please be aware of:

Thanks in advance!

Well, it was a conscious design decision not to include hot swap. We feel that hotswapable boards feel, a little bad if not done properly. There's nothing wrong with them obviously, just a personal decision not to include them as we felt that's not representative of the board and experience we wanted to deliver. But obviously it's up to you to do what you want with your pcb.

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #511 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 09:02:04 »
Hi HephaestusWorks,

“ Please be aware of:

Thanks in advance!

How do hotswap sockets make a board feel different at all?

Offline HephaestusWorks

« Reply #512 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 09:10:05 »
Hi HephaestusWorks,

“ Please be aware of:

Thanks in advance!

How do hotswap sockets make a board feel different at all?
Because the switches can move in the sockets. The soldered board is one rigid unit. While the hot swap is either, not connected to the pcb at all, allowing for play. Additionally if you remove all the switches the plate falls off. The other way to do hotswap is with standoffs that screw into the plate and keep rhe plate and pcb together. Which is bad because it creates hard spots around the places of the screws, a little counterintuitive on a gasket board that's supposed to create a comfortable feel.

Offline mariocs

« Reply #513 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 09:13:43 »
I did my order yesterday, but now I was thinking to add an extra pcb, and maybe even an extra plate.

Is that possible to do? Thank you!

I feel like this got unanswered, is this a possibility? thank you!

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #514 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 09:21:01 »
Because the switches can move in the sockets. The soldered board is one rigid unit. While the hot swap is either, not connected to the pcb at all, allowing for play. Additionally if you remove all the switches the plate falls off. The other way to do hotswap is with standoffs that screw into the plate and keep rhe plate and pcb together. Which is bad because it creates hard spots around the places of the screws, a little counterintuitive on a gasket board that's supposed to create a comfortable feel.

This might be kind of true for 3 pin switches, but not for 5 pin, which are the clear standard in the community. If the plate is well made it will not be a problem.

And I don't see how the plate falling off is relevant? If you desolder all the switches and take them off, the plate will also fall off...    And there's a neat little trick to make the plate not fall off which everyone uses, which is to not remove all the switches at the same time...

Offline HephaestusWorks

« Reply #515 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 09:34:52 »

This might be kind of true for 3 pin switches, but not for 5 pin, which are the clear standard in the community. If the plate is well made it will not be a problem.

And I don't see how the plate falling off is relevant? If you desolder all the switches and take them off, the plate will also fall off...    And there's a neat little trick to make the plate not fall off which everyone uses, which is to not remove all the switches at the same time...
Sarcastic tone aside, from our experiment 5 pins also suffer from the same issue. Also falling off is a little relevant since one of the supposed nifty little features of hotswap is the ability to ya know, hot swap switches without opening the board. We personally haven't yet come across a board that you can desolder without opening. Now thank you for your snarky comment but I don't feel like we have to elaborate further.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 July 2021, 09:42:27 by HephaestusWorks »

Offline HephaestusWorks

« Reply #516 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 09:35:31 »

Sarcastic tone aside, from our experiment 5 pins also suffer from the same issue. Also falling off is a little relevant since one of the supposed nifty little features of hotswap is the ability to ya know, hot swap switches without opening the board. We personally haven't yet come across a board that you can desolder without opening. Now thank you for your snarky comment but we don't feel like we have to elaborate further.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 July 2021, 09:42:03 by HephaestusWorks »

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #517 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 09:43:50 »

Sarcastic tone aside, from our experiment 5 pins also suffer from the same issue. Also falling off is a little relevant since one of the supposed nifty little features of hotswap is the ability to ya know, hot swap switches without opening the board. I personally haven't yet come across a board that you can desolder without opening. Now thank you for your snarky comment but I don't feel like we have to elaborate further.

Ah yes, I love when I am taking a single switch out from my hotswap pcb and the whole pcb falls off and then the whole keyboard falls apart, damn you hotswap pcbs

THE PCB WILL FALL OFF IF YOU TAKE OUT ALL THE SWITCHES AT THE SAME TIME.
How are you not understanding this?

Also, if your 5 pin swiches wobble in hotswap sockets, you either have a swich housing problem or a plate problem (cheese grate plate or bad tolerances).

Offline Scriba

« Reply #518 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 09:49:45 »
Hotswap has a worse sound signature

Offline Taziza

« Reply #519 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 09:50:17 »

Sarcastic tone aside, from our experiment 5 pins also suffer from the same issue. Also falling off is a little relevant since one of the supposed nifty little features of hotswap is the ability to ya know, hot swap switches without opening the board. I personally haven't yet come across a board that you can desolder without opening. Now thank you for your snarky comment but we don't feel like we have to elaborate further.

I might be wrong, but in case of a case foam that is less of an issue in terms of damaging the PCB and the plate.

Furthermore, I believe people change their switches differently specially on custom hotswap boards. On my case, for instance I prefer to take both apart from the case and disassemble as I see fit, I saw the same suggestion on some "how-to" on youtube.

Lastly, no harm on including a note on the keyboard highlighting how to replace switches on the hotswap version.

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #520 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 09:59:41 »

Do you have a source on this?

Offline HephaestusWorks

« Reply #521 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 10:09:36 »

Sarcastic tone aside, from our experiment 5 pins also suffer from the same issue. Also falling off is a little relevant since one of the supposed nifty little features of hotswap is the ability to ya know, hot swap switches without opening the board. I personally haven't yet come across a board that you can desolder without opening. Now thank you for your snarky comment but I don't feel like we have to elaborate further.

Ah yes, I love when I am taking a single switch out from my hotswap pcb and the whole pcb falls off and then the whole keyboard falls apart, damn you hotswap pcbs

THE PCB WILL FALL OFF IF YOU TAKE OUT ALL THE SWITCHES AT THE SAME TIME.
How are you not understanding this?

Also, if your 5 pin swiches wobble in hotswap sockets, you either have a swich housing problem or a plate problem (cheese grate plate or bad tolerances).
Oh we understand alright. On the last comment we were just highlighting your non sensical comparison to the pcb falling off after being desoldered. Also, different switches have different tolerances, it's not all about the plate and pcb design, although it does play the biggest role.

P.S: just because you don't remove all the switches at once it doesn't mean that the assembly will go flawlessly, if the pcb isn't supported from underneath. There have been many occasions of the pcb being pushed down from something random, enough that you have to disassemble the board to get it back in place. That's why newer boards implement the screw and standoff on rhe plate system.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 July 2021, 10:16:37 by HephaestusWorks »

Offline growler

« Reply #522 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 10:18:50 »
Where's my popcorn, this is getting spicy!

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Don't just stare at it ...

Offline HephaestusWorks

« Reply #523 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 10:34:31 »

No, not really haha. It's just a very pointless debate that happened for..... some unknown reason. Considering that Nasu doesn't even have hot swap. We didn't think that being honest about why we didn't include an option was a crime, but at this rate we'll probably have to hire at attorney to give vague answers and leave everyone equally unsatisfied.

Offline growler

« Reply #524 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 10:37:14 »

No, not really haha. It's just a very pointless debate that happened for..... some unknown reason. Considering that Nasu doesn't even have hot swap. We didn't think that being honest about why we didn't include an option was a crime, but at this rate we'll probably have to hire at attorney to give vague answers and leave everyone equally unsatisfied.
Wait, what????

Are you telling me you don't have hotswap? What on earth have I bought???

(Jokes)

« Last Edit: Tue, 13 July 2021, 12:06:36 by growler »

Offline cutemelon

« Reply #525 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 12:04:52 »
It's up to the designer imo.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 July 2021, 12:12:24 by cutemelon »

Offline gloomycloud

• me enjoy 60s
« Reply #526 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 14:38:14 »
Just ordered. Btw, any particular reason you go with silicon gaskets instead of poron gaskets?
HHKB Pro 2 || Polaris || Kei || Meridian || X60 V2

Offline HephaestusWorks

« Reply #527 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 14:43:02 »
Just ordered. Btw, any particular reason you go with silicon gaskets instead of poron gaskets?
Yes, our vendor keebwerk actually recommended silicone, and after testing both materials on the first prototypes we felt that the silicone provided an overall more unique and comfortable typing experience and acoustic profile.

Offline mariocs

« Reply #528 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 15:32:54 »
I did my order yesterday, but now I was thinking to add an extra pcb, and maybe even an extra plate.

Offline HephaestusWorks

« Reply #529 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 15:34:59 »

It is, please contact keebwerk support and ask them

Offline rt_es

« Reply #530 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 19:48:59 »
Do you plan on having more sound tests of different switches/plates configurations?

Offline SkyBoy

« Reply #531 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 20:44:33 »
Will any protos/finished units be sent to streamers?
A professional video/sound test would be nice

Offline Altain

• Formerly zungzangbi
« Reply #532 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 21:22:20 »
Despite joining the GB with full understanding that this won't come with the wrist rest, I really do hope someday a GB for that would happen.
really expecting to get this board on hand!

Offline gloomycloud

• me enjoy 60s
« Reply #533 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 00:35:21 »
Yes, our vendor keebwerk actually recommended silicone, and after testing both materials on the first prototypes we felt that the silicone provided an overall more unique and comfortable typing experience and acoustic profile.
Sg, looking for a discord server for getting updates easier
HHKB Pro 2 || Polaris || Kei || Meridian || X60 V2

Offline Scriba

« Reply #534 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 01:12:13 »

mainly personal experience, but i have heard the same comments from most enthusiasts. there are of course (as about everything) also videos of it.

Offline Curin Derwin

« Reply #535 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 01:33:40 »
Will the anno have a smooth/glazed finish or a matte, fingerprint color-bend finish? It's hard to tell from the photos, but the purple looks nice and smooth.

Offline HephaestusWorks

« Reply #536 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 13:02:04 »
Will the anno have a smooth/glazed finish or a matte, fingerprint color-bend finish? It's hard to tell from the photos, but the purple looks nice and smooth.
The ano will be matte and very smooth to the touch, the grain is pretty fine. We'll get some close-up shots of the anodized proto for you to inspect.

Offline HephaestusWorks

« Reply #537 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 13:03:01 »
Sg, looking for a discord server for getting updates easier
The server is being made as we speak, will go live tomorrow evening most likely.

Offline Scriba

« Reply #538 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 14:30:45 »
The ano will be matte and very smooth to the touch, the grain is pretty fine. We'll get some close-up shots of the anodized proto for you to inspect.

nice, I am looking forward to it

Offline tsolin01

« Reply #539 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 15:07:47 »

mainly personal experience, but i have heard the same comments from most enthusiasts. there are of course (as about everything) also videos of it.

This video says he can't tell a difference between hotswap sockets and soldered in terms of sound... from your response I was expecting the video to say hotswap sounds worse.

Offline cutemelon

« Reply #540 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 15:25:08 »
What colors did you guys end up going with?

Offline growler

« Reply #541 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 15:28:39 »
BLUE, BLUE AND BLUE

Offline HephaestusWorks

« Reply #542 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 15:31:28 »
BLUE, BLUE AND BLUE

We are hephaestus works, and we approve of this statement

But we're definitely most excited about the purple.

Offline growler

« Reply #543 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 16:49:24 »
Oh no, maybe I got the wrong one....

Offline PhantomKyubii

« Reply #544 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 17:13:24 »
What colors did you guys end up going with?
Purple on Purple on Pom :^)

Offline growler

« Reply #545 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 17:26:56 »
Any news on opening up to more than one pp if not yet fully subscribed?

Offline nihonjam

« Reply #546 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 18:07:49 »
I did white white silver/pom. Still think I should get red base but keeping it all white gives the most flexibility for various sets and might look better with brass than red. hmmmm

Offline HephaestusWorks

« Reply #547 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 18:12:08 »
Any news on opening up to more than one pp if not yet fully subscribed?

Yes, we most likely will. We are currently figuring out the logistics of that, shipping will obviously have to be paid again since the volume and mass essentially doubles.. But anyone who wanted it had their chance, so we don't see why we should keep the limitation. That said we're giving buyers some more time, probably untill Friday or Saturday. But we'll let you know for sure by Friday.

« Reply #548 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 19:07:06 »
In for a purple top, e-white bottom, with blue alu plate and a pom plate extra! Purple and blue looked awesome together on the configurator and thought it would be cooler than just purple on purple. And very glad I got a chance to do a purple top / e-white bottom build after I passed over this option on the ESNTL TKL for maroon and white instead.

This is my first alice-style board, been waiting for a nice looking GB for a couple months now. Love the color options and flexibility and it looks like it will be a very solid board.

While this wasn't on my radar at all until the GB post showed up in r/mechgroupbuys, it is very quickly shooting to the top of my list of most-anticipated GB boards that I have pending completion!

GLWGB, eagerly awaiting mine.  :thumb:

Offline forbidden404

« Reply #549 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 19:12:57 »
I wasn't aware of this GB until today, thankfully managed to get a red one, first Alice layout I get.