Author Topic: [IC] Moment - 60% | GB Open Oct 1 - Oct 16  (Read 140863 times)

Offline Ustinj

[IC] Moment - 60% | GB Open Oct 1 - Oct 16
« on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 01:24:52 »
Thanks to shannie, dandruff, telly, r4wromg, Keebs, westfoxtrot / Max for inspiration, hineybush (used H60 here), and ai03 for his documentation.

Moment - 60% Keyboard Interest Check

GB Thread is open: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=118523.0

After over a year in IC, it surprises me that this project still is one of my favorite boards in typing feel and sound. Let's get it moving...

2022 IC Form (please fill out if interested, even if you filled out the old version): https://forms.gle/hhNV2KpkCReaSiA6A

Introduction & Inspiration

Moment, previously known as Phase, was my first foray into custom keyboard design in September 2020. Though I often find myself scrapping designs and abandoning ideas, it's been pretty noteworthy that Moment has managed to survive this long. Cloudline took precedence over this design last year due to clear demand in the layout and the hovering uncertainty regarding the MOQ of a 60% from a no-name designer. Now that the F13 TKL design has been accounted for, and my self-fulfilled limited run of Moment is nearing completion, it makes sense to redirect my sights on this project (that being said, I do happen to have another 60% in the works / lined up... IYKYK).

In 2020, as I continued to fall into the seemingly-bottomless hole of mechanical keyboards, I seemed to struggle to find something that I loved 100%. The Leaf 60 was one of my favorite designs from an aesthetic standpoint - the multi-axis curved side profile, the smooth and flowing design really was striking and just a joy to touch. However, the typing feel was just not quite up to par, I found myself loving the bounciness of boards like the Polaris and IDB60. So I decided to create something with a side profile I loved, along with the typing feel I loved.

I initially themed this board around the word "Phase" - as keyboards, much like headphones, hifi audio, knives, fountain pens, seemed to just be another phase for me. I'd be obsessive for a year or two or three, and before I know it I'd be ogling over something completely different. It featured a moon phase insignia beneath the USB port. After a while, a naming conflict came up and I decided to transition the project over to a new name - Moment. I found the idea of opportunities, chances, and time to be super relevant to this project and in how things have panned out over the past couple years - how my love for creating new and unique designs really have branched out just from some decisions made in a single Moment.

In summation, here are the goals kept in mind while fleshing out this design:
  • Curves, a nice side profile
  • Cues that identified it / made it unique
  • Reasonably heavy
  • Softer typing feel
  • My own

Details
  • Layout: 60% (FULL / WKL / HHKB)
  • Mount: Half-gasket Isolation
  • Materials: Aluminum 6063, Stainless Steel (Sandblasted)
  • Weight: 1.7kg / 3.75 lbs
  • Typing Angle: 7 degrees
  • Front Height: 17.9mm (22.2mm EKH)
  • Plates: Polypropylene Full / Half, Aluminum Full / Half, possibly Forged Carbon Fiber, FR4, Polycarbonate

*Pricing depends on MOQ. With the number of keyboard projects struggling as of late, it's hard to make an accurate statement until I discuss with my vendor and determine a safe MOQ. I am aiming to target a ~$4xx price range.

GB & Vendor Information

Group buy is slated to begin October 1st - October 14th, 2022.

• US: Cannon Keys, 400 available, $460 USD
  • CA: Deskhero, 70 available
  • EU: mykeyboard.eu, 70 available
  • UK: Prototypist, 30 available
  • OCE: Switchkeys, 70 available
  • AS: ILUMKB, 210 available

Colors

Colors for this keyboard were chosen to be reminiscent of the sky during the day's quieter hours of transition, tying together the themes of time and being present in every fleeting moment.

• E-white
  • Dawn Blue (Faded Blue)
  • Dusk Purple (Faded Purple)
  • Midnight Gray (Dark Gray)

Expand for color renders
More

Design & Renders

Identifying tapered side chamfers, visible while in use. Hourglass insignia beneath USB port. Fluid curved side-profile.

Emphasized seam around the perimeter improves perceived anodization consistency and machining tolerances.

Ran out of things to say ... bottom weight has Moment engraving (hand written!)

Half-Gasket Mount

Moment uses a half-sandwich gasket mount, in which there are poron gasket strips beneath tabs on the northern and southern perimeters of the plate, with nothing but clearance above. In order to prevent the build from falling and hitting the top case, there are two strips on the left / right of the build - which would have quite literally near-zero compression, especially when the board is sitting on your desk and you are typing on it. Downward force will move the plate away from these tabs.

My initial theory was that this would allow for the plate to pivot / flex upwards as downward pressure was applied to the build, but realistically it didn't work that way as the downward compression of the poron takes less force than it does to pivot the plate tabs. That being said, I know some people love to say isolation gasket strip boards are just sandwich mounts (hardly true, unless they're designed with extreme compression...) - here's a contrasting design. All I know is that the typing feel is precisely what I had been looking for a while back, especially when paired with a polypropylene full / half plate.

Project Timeline / Status

Updated February 6th, 2022.

• Prototype 1 - done
  • Prototype 2 - done
  • Prototype 3 - done
  • Limited Run (Discord) - currently in fulfillment
  • Vendor Discussions
  • Full-scale GB begins October 1st - October 14th

FAQ

FAQs can exist before people ask questions on an IC ... people ask the same questions over and over throughout previous ICs... for example:

Q: When is the group buy?

A: Estimating we may be able to move into group buy late Q1 2022, or early Q2 2022. It's in the information above.

Q: How many units? Can it be unlimited?

A: If you are worried about not getting one, I don't think you need to worry. If you are hoping for it to be extremely limited (for whatever reason this may be), then you may have been happier joining the limited run in silver with a polished weight.

Q: If you've already done a small GB for this and have several prototypes, how come you don't know your pricing?

A: Different MOQ, and also now factoring in vendor splits. Just aiming for a general range of <$4xx if possible.

Q: Do you know that removing side mounting tabs will make the build more flexible?

A: The side tabs on the plate are not mounted and are free to move; they are only there to keep the plate from rattling.

Q: What PCB will this board use?

A: The board is designed for compatibility with commonly available PCBs, including the Hineybush H60 and Wilba.tech 60% PCB line with JST connectors. That being said, depending on vendor discussions, it's possible we may opt for an in-house PCB design to lower costs.

Q: Split space support / ISO?

A: Depends on interest check reception and MOQ. Personally I don't like the look of an ISO-compatible plate built with ANSI, so I don't think I'll have a universal plate as the default. Same goes with split-space, but fill out the IC form if these are must-haves for the buy.

Q: Half plates available?

A: Absolutely, I think they kick butt on this board!

Q: Why no silver?

A: I chose silver on the limited run and want to keep it to that - plus that means we get to have e-white for this buy :)

Media

More coming in this section soon, especially with fulfillment of the limited / small GB happening.

These typing tests with BoW caps are Geekark BoW.

Typing test from Jintae, MX blacks on PP

Links

2022 IC Form: https://forms.gle/hhNV2KpkCReaSiA6A

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jjw_kb

Discord: https://discord.gg/uwBXETHrP9

« Last Edit: Fri, 14 October 2022, 16:32:52 by Ustinj »

Offline Ustinj

Re: [IC] Phase (60% Keyboard)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 01:26:12 »
Current Project Standing
  • Initial IC
  • Prototype #1
  • Prototype #2: Prototype has completed production, currently waiting for shipment.
  • Limited Run (Discord)
  • Finalize Group Buy Details (Unit Ct, Pricing, Date)
  • Group Buy Start

UPDATE: October 10th, 2020 - Prototype 1 received, onto revision 2!

I had a few changes already lined up, but Prototype 1 has given me the opportunity to make a few more tweaks that I think will improve the board. Prototype 1 was mostly a success. I very much enjoy the shape and feel of the board's edges on my desk, but was not satisfied with the quality of finish from factory 1. Assembly was a smooth process, and typing feels good for aluminum. I don't have the opportunity to use the PC plate as I intended because the factory messed it up so badly it won't fit.

Changes:

- Lowered overall board height by 1mm
- Increased the thickness of the bottom interior of the case by 2.4mm, the interior surface is now almost completely aluminum (versus the previous 50% alu 50% steel). I suspect this will bring changes to sound..
- Upgraded screws from M2 x 0.4mm to M2.5 x 0.45mm for peace of mind - I don't want to push into M3 territory as that will make the bezels wider than I envisioned.
- Increased the mass of the board from ~1198g to ~1400g (2.6lbs to 3.2lbs)
- Sandblasted steel weight instead of polished. The polished weight was nice, for the first 15 minutes..
- Flex / auditory cuts for spacebar uniformity
- Will be giving the following plates a shot - POLYCARBONATE, POLYPROPYLENE, ALUMINUM
- Increased seam chamfer size. I want the emphasized seam to pop even more.
- Cuts made on interior to accommodate for JST connector position of both H60 and WT-60

UPDATE: November 28th, 2020 - Project renamed to 'Moment'

Hello all,

Many may be aware that there is currently another project being run on Geekhack sharing the name 'Phase': https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109807.0

I reached out to LZ to discuss the names - it turns out that LZ had shared this project to his personal blog on August 28th, about a week before I posted my project on Geekhack. Unfortunately, I was not aware of his personal blog and wasn't able to find another board named Phase - so that is why I went through with it. LZ mentioned that his project was already undergoing production so it was too late to make any changes. HOWEVER, he also mentioned that it should be fine if the boards share a name due to the fact that the two boards are very different in layout, design, etc.

I did have a particular attachment to the name 'Phase' for my project, due to the theming. It's very true that often times, my hobbies and obsessions turn out to be temporary (see: headphones, knives, pens, certain games, etc.) - by naming my keyboard 'Phase', it seemed consistent to include keyboards into the broad overarching theme of being 'just a phase'. Also the middle letter of PHASE is an A and it lets me throw in my logo ;) That being said, I have the "O.K." to keep the name Phase. But for reasons, I will be renaming the project:

- Courtesy; LZ first posted for his project before mine, so naturally it would be polite to move.
- Identity; I would like for the project to have its own identity. I want future owners (myself included as a creator) to feel a sense of pride in ownership of something unique and 'itself'.
- The two go hand in hand!

Renaming the project is a very difficult decision for me to make, especially since many hours have been put into it as it is. Unfortunately, the 'moonphase' engravings will no longer be present under the USB port ... this one especially pains me as I received a few DMs about how the moon theme is quite possibly the most attractive point of the board! :(

I understand that some of you may not be happy with the name and branding change for the board.

I'm going to be renaming the project to Moment. I've been planning to make a board with this name for a while - I guess the 'moment' came a bit earlier than expected. The word 'Moment' still fits my initial theme for the board, one that revolves around time and how things change over it. The word has such a suave, liquid feel to me - something that is there one second and then gone the next, something that can shift from 'one moment to another'. It feels smooth, it feels fluid, it feels suiting for the side profile.

Hopefully it sits well  :) have a good weekend!

Typing tests will come from Prototype 2, I'd like for it to more represent the production run product (in case things sound different).

thank

UPDATE: December 16th, 2020 - Prototype 2

Link to full update: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108593.msg2993464#msg2993464

A few typing tests: https://soundcloud.com/user-453131246/sets/moment-prototype-2/s-JlHqcZmErHT

• Aluminum plate, RT Blacks (205g0)
  • PC Plate, RT Blacks (205g0)
  • PC Plate, Gateron Inks (205g0)
  • PP Plate, CK Lavenders (JWK) (205g0)

Flex (PP Plate)

Some thoughts:
  • Finish is superb. Anodization is spotless (externally), the dark-gray is exactly what I wanted.
  • Sandblasted steel weight is interesting - feels very smooth, smoother than aluminum. It can shine quite brightly under direct light, but otherwise appears as dull warm gray. I really like the feel of it.
  • Forgot to add some relief cuts to the aluminum plate - we'll get 'em next time.
  • A lot of flex with the plastic plates... PP can get a super soft typing feel.

TODO:
Next prototype will be more or less the same structurally, but will have the updated engravings and will be a chance to test another production anodization. Might look to tighten up some tolerances / discuss with the manufacturer to make the top and bottom fit near-perfectly. May look back into mirror-polished SS (would cost more), or coated brass weight for e-white (gold + white is a great combination in my eyes). Also want to pick up an aluminum half plate ... keep forgetting that!

TL;DR. Prototype 2 arrived, very happy and very close to what I envisioned the final keyboard to be. Prototype 3 should hopefully be the final revision, then we can proceed to GB.

UPDATE: March 10th, 2021 - Timeline Update

Hello,

Just wanted to post an update for those following this project! Over the past few months I've leaned closer towards the idea of having reputable vendors run this project rather than a self-run groupbuy for the following reasons:

1. More peace of mind for buyers
2. Can handle higher quantities, and get lower prices
3. Saves time

While the ideal scenario would be to run this prior to my other project, finding a vendor willing to run this project for the US was a little bit more difficult than anticipated. The primary issue I find is regarding risk and being able to price the board according to demand, making sure that said amount of boards would even sell. In the end, it seems that the most likely scenario is for Cloudline to run first, build some reputation, then have Moment run as a follow up. This board is still on the timeline though - it is by no means being abandoned or scrapped.

TL;DR.. currently holding for vendors on Moment for higher unit counts, ideally lower prices - downside is we must wait.

Some supporters have pitched the idea of running it in a smaller self-run group buy (basically, the original plan) while waiting for vendors to open up for a public vendor-run group buy. I'm not opposed to this idea, but things to be noted are that prices will without a doubt be more expensive in a small buy (which is kind of a bummer when group buy prices later on will be cheaper). To compensate, it figures that the small buy would have to be 'special' in some way - something I am still brainstorming with.

On another note, still waiting for the (hopefully) final prototype for this board. Factories have recently resumed progress through Lunar New Year which, as expected, increases wait time. Also revisiting the mirror-finish, trying an alternative method to working with engravings on mirror polished steel.

Typing Test - Hyperglide MX Blacks, PC plate

UPDATE: Prototype 3

Third prototype is great. As of now I'm aiming to launch the Cloudline project and then see if vendors would be interested in running Moment. The board sounds and feels fantastic - usually I would not feel confident tooting my own horn, but I think the latest prototype is getting better than the previous. Also pretty set on including this color when it happens; it's a dull and slightly faded shade of lavender that I think looks amazing. Will get an updated typing test out soon, but I'm very happy with it. I think if / when vendors are ready for Moment, this could move to group buy fairly quickly as I've been making changes in the background.

UPDATE: May 2nd, 2021 - More Waiting ... Unless?

Same as before - happy with the prototypes, ready to go into full scale group buy when my vendors are willing. However, in the mean time, I'd highly recommend joining Discord / following on Instagram for updates. There are possibilities of small Discord sales, small updates / media sharing, etc.

Discord: https://discord.gg/XPEFcn8
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ascend.kb/

This is still slated to proceed for a full group buy when opportunity arises. The reason it's not going now (even if I have the bandwith to do a small self-fulfilled run) is because I'd love to get better pricing (higher order qty) for a later buy.

« Last Edit: Sun, 06 February 2022, 23:05:15 by Ustinj »

Offline JumpStream

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 01:31:39 »
Loving the look of it so far

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Offline Space_Case88

• keebs, anime, video games and coffee
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 01:59:03 »
This looks good! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

Offline gbenz

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 02:10:40 »
Renders are super clean! I'd love to see a standard layout though!

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 02:32:59 »
Beautiful board! I’m really interested in the mounting design. I can’t really imagine how it works. Not sure how the 2mm gap is being implemented.

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 02:41:32 »
Yummy!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline deedz

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 03:22:04 »
Looks awesome to me, good job on the design and I'd back this if it reaches GB stage.

Offline cutesy

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 03:44:43 »
im in

Offline Suavity

• Smile more! 🙂
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 04:26:07 »
Looks like a very promising project! The stainless steel weight is a beauty. Certainly different to the typical brass or aluminum finishes. Curious to know what is the projected price for the board.  :thumb:

Offline ddnomad

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 06:02:50 »
Dang. That actually looks quite nice.

Already see myself missing the FCFS sale or totally loosing in a raffle.  But yeah, looks nice man!

Not entirely sure your plate mounting idea will work as intended but well, time will tell :)

Offline $W4GK!NG

• Keyboard/Car/Audio Enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 06:49:15 »
Side profile and ai03 style weight design is looking cool af, would probably get my hands on this if I am able to :))

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 07:25:10 »
Well, I would be into it if it had std ISO and depending on price but, since its your first group buy i understand if there will be no iso for less options and so on.

Offline Clay333

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 09:27:23 »
I am definitely interested if HHKB layout isn't the only option. This looks very nice and well thought out. I am especially interested in the mounting system and really hope it comes out nice in the prototype. I will be following closely. Good luck.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 09:30:55 »
Yup, count me in on this one

Offline alleneentrekin

• j
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 09:37:33 »
Really interested in this board, while I love the look of the HHKB layout, I think a standard layout would be a good addition. Also, this board seems like it could be in very high demand, so I would consider raffleing some, if not all of the kits.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Offline mikeduran

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 12:01:27 »
The design and the details are out of this world, really like this! It looks mega expensive, hope that the manufacturer of your choice can do it reliably and cheap. Also I agree with the rest of the users, maybe a standard layout would be nice, but as is it's beautiful anyway. I would love to be one of those 50 group buyers, but something tells me this is going to be mad expensive.

Offline MadsMe

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 13:53:39 »
This is absolutely gorgeous!

Offline huey

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 13:57:30 »
This is a cool project. My only point of concern is putting a USB port hole in the middle of a piece of material that is going to be polished.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 14:24:21 »
Really nice design  subscribing

Offline Blastoise

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 14:27:17 »
Definitely interested. Subscribed and looking forward to how this turns out!

Offline frostykoala

• consider Nightlight
    • Check out some Renders :)
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 14:40:48 »
Hmmm 25-50 you say

Offline mongoose27

• WKL FTW
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 16:13:57 »
This looks outstanding, very interested in a WKL version.  Great work  :thumb:

Offline Ramen Champ

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 16:42:03 »
very handsome - IC filled out and looking forward to seeing more!
twitch.tv/ramenchamp_

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 16:43:33 »
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I opened up a Google form for those who may stop by and have input.

https://forms.gle/Shy3QZPji9djoX1u8

This is a cool project. My only point of concern is putting a USB port hole in the middle of a piece of material that is going to be polished.

Valid concern, thank you - I spoke to one manufacturer and they got back to me saying that things were fine, but the small engraved lettering on the inner-face of the weight would not be polished. Since they mentioned this and not the port, I think I'll test my luck and see how the proto goes.

Offline Tyler

• hhkb >
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 16:44:05 »
Wow. Definitely interested.

Offline zuggykeys

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 17:01:53 »
I like the gentle curves.  Gotta be careful not to scratch the USB port area, for sure.  Interested.

Offline huey

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 17:04:00 »
Valid concern, thank you - I spoke to one manufacturer and they got back to me saying that things were fine, but the small engraved lettering on the inner-face of the weight would not be polished. Since they mentioned this and not the port, I think I'll test my luck and see how the proto goes.

I'll rephrase since that wasn't what I was getting at.
My concern is: If it were on my desk and in rotation with other boards, I wouldn't want the USB cutout near a highly sensitive finish. We're all bound to get a bit assertive with our USBing. This is just my two cents though; The M-60 has done it and I've never seen any owners complain about it.

Offline Janoma

• certified nerd
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 19:22:28 »
+1 for standard layout, the sound signature on this should be interesting with that mounting. Polish looks beautiful.

GLWIC :)

Offline Rynxe

• Braccas Meas Vescimini
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 20:12:36 »
Filled out the form. You sir just got a new follower.

Hoping you could increase the number of units for the GB, you'll have a lot of people crying over that number, and I mean a lot, maybe including myself.

Offline SherlockBunny

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 21:07:11 »
Love the look and the interesting mounting system. Would definitely buy

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 21:38:16 »
I like the logo. It reminds me of the Eclipse 70% in IC

Interesting choice eliminating brass from the plate materials. I would probably go with pc or fr4 myself but have you given any consideration to POM or carbon fiber?

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 01:16:38 »
Interesting. Count me in if WKL!

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 02:11:51 »

Interesting choice eliminating brass from the plate materials. I would probably go with pc or fr4 myself but have you given any consideration to POM or carbon fiber?

Thanks for your input. I had considered the idea that people may draw similarities to other boards with moons on them - funny enough, I had not been thinking of the Eclipse keyboard but the Moon TKL that people would become privy to:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90037

That being said, I wanted to ensure that I do not intend to 'copy' or 'rip off' any ideas. I want to emphasize that searching Google for "moon vectors", "moon phases", etc will return a the fairly universal "moon phase" diagram that these all feature. On the other hand, I did not want to make the moon the primary theme of this board, but the PHASES. It is just the moon that 1. serves as a pretty nice symbol for phases, and 2. is painted on my wall. I have considered using a silly engraving of an ice cube melting, but felt I wanted to keep things a bit more elegant and relevant to my own history.

I hope this clears things up! Not trying to come off as defensive, just wanted to give a bit more insight into the reasoning behind the board's theme.

Small updates, more details on mounting, and commonly asked questions

I will be testing some cuts in the plate. This is to encourage that the plate tabs will stress at its weak points. We will see how this plays with the original plan to use the bottom case as a 'fulcrum' for the plate to lever on. However, this does detract from my original intent to keep the tabs with a wide area of contact on the bottom case for a more consistent sound. Testing will be the teller here; I will be giving both the solid plate, as well as the cut plate a try to see which one fares better.

Q: Details on PCB?

Currently undecided on the PCB, but it will take any universal 60% layout PCB that is compatible with the C3 Unified daughterboard connection (JST). I will be reaching out to Wilba from wilba.tech and Hineybush for potential small-bulk orders for PCBs, once group buy is complete and numbers are tallied.

Q: Don't you think you should remove the mounting tabs on the side, so that the typing experience is better / sound is better?

I got this a few times... I guess at first glance it is easy to assume that the tabs are going to all be sitting on the bottom case. Beneath the left / right tabs, is nothing but free space!

I would agree, if I were using the tabs on the side to hold the plate up. However, I am actually using the tabs on the side to hold the plate DOWN. The tabs on the side provide zero upwards force against the plate, when the plate is pressed down. The tabs on the side should not affect typing feel - they are simply there to ensure that the plate does not rattle in the case, since there is no downward force on the top / bottom tabs.

I made a diagram to more clearly explain the mounting system, please see original post (or click this spoiler).

Q: More colors, more layout options?

At the quantity I plan to create, I will be limited with the color choices that will be available - likely will be settling with 2 - 3 colors. **With such an even divide among layouts in the interest check form, I figure I will lean towards including all layouts as possibilities to those who are entered to purchase a board.**

« Last Edit: Mon, 14 September 2020, 02:22:05 by Ustinj »

Offline sendrim

• Instagram
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 02:44:30 »
If the price is right, I'll definitely join!   :thumb:
I like SA

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 05:15:33 »
If layout is still open for consideration, split spacebar would elevate this a notch

Offline honoka

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 05:16:51 »
You need to put the link to the form in the OP for people who are just as lazy as I am

Offline Mel

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 11:23:07 »
Definitely an interesting design, assuming I can afford the price  :thumb:

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 11:44:31 »
Looks like a racecar version of Verne. I like it.

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 19:53:21 »
Really enjoy this. The seam really is a nice accent to the board; it reminds me of Zambumon's Verne, which also has some flowy lines in its profile.

The moon phases is a nice touch, and actually is very similar to the Eclipse 70% back weight. This isn't a bad thing, just makes me want to secure both :)

Looking forward to see how this progresses.

Offline taiminhle4920

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 22:35:04 »
Do you have a targeted price for this one?

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 14 September 2020, 23:39:02 »
Added some commonly asked q's on the main post, regarding price, PCB, unit count, mounting, etc.

I appreciate all the feedback and responses! I will do my best to ensure that the end result is something special.

Offline FredBananaz

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 00:02:16 »
Definetly interested in this one. Keeping a close eye on this thread

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 21:24:53 »

Thanks for your input. I had considered the idea that people may draw similarities to other boards with moons on them - funny enough, I had not been thinking of the Eclipse keyboard but the Moon TKL that people would become privy to:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=90037

That being said, I wanted to ensure that I do not intend to 'copy' or 'rip off' any ideas. I want to emphasize that searching Google for "moon vectors", "moon phases", etc will return a the fairly universal "moon phase" diagram that these all feature. On the other hand, I did not want to make the moon the primary theme of this board, but the PHASES. It is just the moon that 1. serves as a pretty nice symbol for phases, and 2. is painted on my wall. I have considered using a silly engraving of an ice cube melting, but felt I wanted to keep things a bit more elegant and relevant to my own history.

I hope this clears things up! Not trying to come off as defensive, just wanted to give a bit more insight into the reasoning behind the board's theme.

oh totally! I didn't mean to insinuate that at all. The Eclipse was just the first thing that came to mind. FWIW this board doesn't remind me of that one in any other way but the moon phases logo. Plus it's not so similar that it appears to be a rip-off in any way. Also, this design looks to be MUCH better executed that the Eclipse. And yeah... nobody owns the moon. That's just silly.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 March 2021, 21:33:16 by paperassgasket »

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 16:30:28 »
oh totally! I didn't mean to insinuate that at all. The Eclipse was just the first thing that came to mine. FWIW this board doesn't remind me of that one in any other way but the moon phases logo. Plus it's not so similar that it appears to be a rip-off in any way. Also, this design looks to be MUCH better executed that the Eclipse. And yeah... nobody owns the moon. That's just silly.

Oh I see, I may have misunderstood - in the end, I'd say to each their own! I don't find much value in comparing the two at all because both boards' designers have different goals and priorities in mind - and from what I've seen, I'd say I was quite intrigued myself by the layout of the eclipse :)

Prototype order placed with manufacturer #1

I have submitted an order for the board from one manufacturer. there are several manu's I'd like to try, but I will roll with this one first for fitment testing and stainless steel testing.

After hearing many stories of nightmares with mirror-polished stainless steel QC, there is a possibility that polished steel units will either be limited, or simply not feasible. that being said, I've done some quick renders using matte / satin stainless steel for the weight and I think it is seriously growing on me. I suspect that a polished finish on steel from the factory will not have the picture-perfect mirror finish I'd hope for. In that case, I will be hand-polishing these weights from the factory if I decide to go that route - this prototype unit will hopefully serve both as a proof of concept, and a polishing experiment.

The arrival of the prototype will answer 90% of the questions I have at the moment. I will run another IC form to take in more information later.

thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 September 2020, 16:41:16 by Ustinj »

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
Re: [IC] Phase (60% Keyboard) | Prototype #1 Order Placed!
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 02:22:29 »
Oooooh matte looks very nice

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 03:22:07 »
Even more interested if you decide to offer a matte stainless steel weight.

Offline Cloods

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 02:47:25 »
finally something more curvy and less angular, looks good

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 05:48:39 »
I love the side profile on this board. The subtle curves combined with the pronounced seam. Chef's kiss.

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 08:40:18 »
I like the curvy yet clean design and the subtle moon phase engraving near the USB C port! Very interesting mounting idea, will be waiting to hear on the results from proto testing.