Author Topic: [GB] GMK Aegyptus ☥  (Read 10841 times)

Offline savageastr0naut

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
[GB] GMK Aegyptus ☥
« on: Fri, 02 July 2021, 18:32:33 »
GMK Aegyptus

A keycap set themed around one of the greatest and most powerful civilizations in the history of the world.

Ancient Egypt, the mysterious civilization that dates as far back as the 4th millennium BCE. Its wonders preserved throughout the times in various forms of art, monuments, and hidden secrets to be rediscovered thousands of years later. The impact of such a civilization would ruffle the pages of history and change the world forever. Ancient Egypt was truly a civilization like no other. The agriculture, unique society, and of course the beliefs of the people truly made it a marvel of the ancient world – an oasis in the desert, Kemet. However, all things, no matter how great, eventually come to an end. Egypt was resurrected several times, but it never attained its former glory. The Egypt of antiquity came as close as it ever would to its mythical status. Some believe that the Greek and Roman influence of antiquity did more harm than good. Perhaps extraterrestrials are to blame. After all, how did they build the pyramids back then? Nonetheless, the impact of this once pinnacle civilization will echo throughout history and the sands of time for all eternity, even in the realm of the Duat - or so they say.

Scarab (coming soon) x GMK Aegyptus

Vendors
☥ USA – Mechs & Co.
☥ Canada – DeskHero
☥ EU – CandyKeys
☥ UK – proto[Typist]
☥ Oceania – DailyClack
☥ SEA – ILUMKB
☥ Asia – ZFrontier

Pricing

Kits
renders by sGhost (sGhost#3666)

Pschent – Base Kit

Hedjet – Novelties Kit

Deshret – Spacebars Kit

Keyboard Renders
Atlas by Koobaczech

Dawn by Finite Design

Hubble65 by Mechs & Co. and Yoni Wolf

TGR Jane by yuktsi

Deskmats
designed by goldiwolfi

Collaborations
☥ RAMA
☥ Latrialum
☥ Artkey
☥ Nork Studios
☥ Sui Paracords - Custom Cable
☥ MarbleK - Wrist Rest
☥ Handemade by G.C.W. - Custom Keyboard Carrying Bag
☥ Leonardo Da Mouse - custom Aegyptus themed mouse

Scarab

RAMA

Latrialum

Nork Studios

SuiParacords
https://suiparacords.store/collections/group-buy

*please note: the production units will have gold USB connections

MarbleK - Serpentine Green Marble Wrist Rest
https://marblek.com/product/pre-order-serpentine-green-wrist-rest-x-gmk-aegyptus/

Handmade by GCW
https://forms.gle/6PSJziNB99bPHXBs7

LeonardoDaMouse
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSefktEqm_8wLHntkfx1z932nochKxALmLyHd5yx7rWghgYHLw/viewform

Asero Foundry

Colors
GMK L9, GMK N7, Pantone 4019C

It was rumored that Ancient Egypt was pristine hdj (white) and nbw (gold), everywhere you looked. However I believe it to have realistically been more beige/ivory as opposed to a pristine white. There is no way something remains white with that much sand around. Therefore, I think that GMK L9 and N7 capture that depiction beautifully. Moreover, wadj (green) was a popular color in Ancient Egypt. The Ancient Egyptians believed in a god who they called Osiris: the god of fertility, agriculture, the dead, and resurrection. It is said that Osiris' skin is wadj (green) in color. Therefore, it is incorporated into several aspects of the Ancient Egyptian culture and can be seen in things ranging from the use of Malachite rock (the source of all things green in Ancient Egypt) in ceremonial scarabs to the almighty Osiris himself and the Field of Reeds.

GMK Aegyptus Signature Banner
Show your support for GMK Aegyptus with this banner for your signature!
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112098.0][img=https://i.imgur.com/NxbaUQz.png][/img][/url]

Special Thanks
I want to thank everyone who played a part, no matter how small or large, in the making of this set. My love for history and the worlds of past would not have come to life as the first keycap set that I have designed without you all. I am humbled to have designed a keycap set with such a powerful theme as this. My sincerest thanks and gratitude to the following people: CoolMike, goldiwolfi, sGhost, Fatboycarney, Break, Meika from Latrialum, Koobaczech, Konstantin – whose knowledge and insight on kitting has indirectly helped me, the guys over at Asero Foundry, and my fellow team members at Mechs & Co. 

Groupbuy Date - July 02, 2021 - August 02, 2021

Follow me on Instagram!

« Last Edit: Thu, 05 August 2021, 21:50:39 by savageastr0naut »
Mechs & Co.

Offline Zeryph

Re: [GB] GMK Aegyptus ☥
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 17:05:44 »
Beautiful Set! Love the colors and reasons as to why each one was chosen.
I'm in!
GLWGB!!!

Offline savageastr0naut

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 July 2021, 17:31:21 »
Beautiful Set! Love the colors and reasons as to why each one was chosen.
I'm in!
GLWGB!!!

Thank You! I'm glad you like the set. I did research to justify my choices for GMK Aegyptus, glad it's appreciated. 𓂀
Mechs & Co.

Offline nanooq

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 07:46:27 »
Great color selection! Two questions w.r.t. the asero artisans - they only seem to be available on mechas&co? This is a big pain for us EU folks :( The picture on mechs&co shows a green artisan as a third cap instead of the speckled white one shown here - which one is the correct one?

Offline savageastr0naut

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 14:26:20 »
Great color selection! Two questions w.r.t. the asero artisans - they only seem to be available on mechas&co? This is a big pain for us EU folks :( The picture on mechs&co shows a green artisan as a third cap instead of the speckled white one shown here - which one is the correct one?

I am deeply sorry about the Asero artisans, but it seems Mechs & Co. is the only vendor who will be offering them. For everyone outside the US that would like to purchase an Asero artisan and the shipping is expensive, please consider reaching out to us via the Mechs & Co. Discord or our Contact Us page on the website. Perhaps we can get a slightly cheaper shipping rate for you.

As for the Asero artisan colorways offered, I simply forgot to update this post with the latest Asero artisan renders - my apologies. As shown on the Mechs & Co. product page, the green w/white-gold specks colorway is being offered alongside the gold and the white. I have updated the Original Post with the correct render.

I appreciate the kind words and your questions.

Thank You! ;D
Mechs & Co.

Offline savageastr0naut

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 23:16:28 »
Hey everyone,

I have co-designed a keyboard in collaboration with GMK Aegyptus. It's called Scarab, check it out here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=113738.0
The inspiration for it was heavily influenced by Ancient Egypt and GMK Aegyptus. We're going to be offering it in two colors that match GMK Aegyptus and the bottom brass weight is the scarab design from the Novelties Kit.

Mechs & Co.

Offline savageastr0naut

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 July 2021, 10:42:23 »
BUMP, please consider GMK Aegyptus!

☥ USA – Mechs & Co.
☥ Canada – DeskHero
☥ EU – CandyKeys
☥ UK – proto[Typist]
☥ Oceania – DailyClack
☥ SEA – ILUMKB
☥ Asia – ZFrontier

Mechs & Co.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 July 2021, 21:56:50 »

Offline savageastr0naut

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 29 July 2021, 21:07:28 »
Hey everyone,

All keyboard kits will be made and everything else is on track to hit MOQ by GB close. Final numbers will be shared towards the close of the GB/after the GB ends.

Mechs & Co. is doing a giveaway for 2 GMK Aegyptus Base Kits! Check out how to join that free giveaway here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CR7vccWHIeA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Thank You all for the support, we're almost there! Get your orders in now while you can! The GB will end in a few days on August 2nd, 2021.
Mechs & Co.

Offline savageastr0naut

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 31 July 2021, 19:35:44 »
ArtKey raffle is happening soon, likely this upcoming week, as is the Nork Studios raffle. The Latrialum raffle will happen at a later date, pay attention to Meika's Instagram (@latrialum) and this thread for that.

There are a couple of days left to join the GroupBuy! Get your last minute orders in ASAP.
Mechs & Co.

Offline savageastr0naut

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 01 August 2021, 14:19:10 »
It's the last day, join the GroupBuy now, before it's ancient history! 𓂀
Mechs & Co.

Offline savageastr0naut

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 August 2021, 21:46:58 »
GMK Aegyptus x Latrialum: raffle at a later date

GMK Aegyptus x Nork Studios: raffle on August 08, 2021

Mechs & Co.

Offline MossG1

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 August 2021, 21:55:47 »
take my money

Online Jo_hannes

• You can never learn less. You can only learn more.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 06 August 2021, 08:44:39 »
I mean, last Dvorcol-update is from 19th July, but it's rough to see a set designed with so much heart and effort not performing extremely well. I guess we have passed the point of saturation, or the speed with which enthusiasts are becoming designers is now exceeding the rate of influx of new people into this hobby.

I really hope you get rewarded for all your effort, savageastr0naut, and this makes it across the finish line with all kits alive and well.

Best,
Johannes

Offline savageastr0naut

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 06 August 2021, 20:30:43 »
I mean, last Dvorcol-update is from 19th July, but it's rough to see a set designed with so much heart and effort not performing extremely well. I guess we have passed the point of saturation, or the speed with which enthusiasts are becoming designers is now exceeding the rate of influx of new people into this hobby.

I really hope you get rewarded for all your effort, savageastr0naut, and this makes it across the finish line with all kits alive and well.

Best,
Johannes
Jo_hannes,

First, thank you for the kind words. I appreciate your recognition of the time and effort devoted to this set. As cheesy as it sounds, it makes me happy to have read that. History is something I enjoy and I am honored to have designed my first keycap set around one of the most powerful and influential civilizations throughout history.

Second, GMK Aegyptus is going to be made. There was a slight surge in sales towards the end of this GroupBuy. Although it wasn't enough, the vendors for GMK Aegyptus were kind enough to purchase a generous amount of extras to make this set a reality. Nonetheless, I am thankful for those who supported me by purchasing this set and for the awesome vendors who ran GMK Aegyptus. I will post the final numbers before and after extras soon. The numbers are finalized with all vendors, I just have to message dvorcol and they can post the graph when ready. Everything surpassed MOQ, aside from the RAMA trays, which Mechs & Co. later purchased more of to hit MOQ.

To address the rest of your comment, I agree with you. I designed this set to translate my passion for history into a hobby that I am a proud member of and moreover knowing that GMK Aegyptus likely was not going to push high numbers and sales. Nonetheless, I was shocked to see the numbers, especially the first couple of weeks.

What was the reason? Well, there has been an increase in designers/sets lately and an influx of new people into this hobby, as you mentioned. I speculate that the longer manufacturing times are not something the new people in this hobby, and truthfully a lot of the older people in this hobby, want to deal with. Furthermore, as a co-owner of Mechs & Co. I have the humbling point of view of vendor in this hobby. This month was a rough month for all sets. There were several well designed sets in GroupBuy all throughout late June and July. I further speculate that several hobbyists could not/did not want to join in on several keycap set buys within the same month.

Nonetheless, I appreciate your comment and kind words. Know that I am rewarded in my efforts in the sense that I was able to show people a blimp in the timeline of our history and that those who supported me and purchased this set are going to get it.

Lastly, my last name is Ohannessian and your forum name is Jo_hannes. I am assuming that is either German, Dutch, or perhaps Swedish. Regardless, it is interesting to see the similarity between names. The -ian ending in Armenian last names means "son of", so my lineage traces back to a man named Ohanness.

Anyway, it's a pleasure - thank you everyone!
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 August 2021, 20:39:22 by savageastr0naut »
Mechs & Co.

Offline RoyalOak88

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 07 August 2021, 09:31:56 »
Happy to see that this will be made.
One of the sets that I'm most excited to receive.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 07 August 2021, 18:16:45 »

More
<-- without extras

Offline savageastr0naut

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 22:31:28 »
Artkey x Aegyptus raffle is now LIVE!

Enter here: https://artkeyuniverse.com/shop/detail/malachite

Mechs & Co.

Offline savageastr0naut

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 20 August 2021, 21:06:44 »
Artkey x Aegyptus raffle Part 2 is now LIVE!

Enter here: https://artkeyuniverse.com/shop/detail/malachite-pv

Mechs & Co.

Offline savageastr0naut

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 15 September 2021, 22:22:49 »
Mechs & Co.