Author Topic: The Toxic set [restructuring with ctrl alt store]  (Read 433299 times)

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
Re: The Toxic set [taking orders](Waiting on Cherry replica set)
« Reply #1450 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 17:37:03 »
Daniel did you ever see if there were any more price breaks from SP?

At 500 there is, but I need to get completely new price quotes anyways so once everything settles and I know what we are going to do, then updated prices will be posted. I have a phone call at 9:30 EST to discuss this group buy.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1451 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 17:55:44 »
Thank you for your continued attention towards this thread, Daniel :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nopunchespulled

« Reply #1452 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 18:03:22 »
are we going to redo the orders? or will you just invoice the 500 or so people and see who has fallen off from that?

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #1453 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 18:52:39 »
GMK keys would be a great thing to have for this GB, but I understand going through with things as originally planned may be for the best. I haven't put in an order yet, but I probably will whichever company this goes ahead with.

Offline Irisviel

« Reply #1454 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 05:41:21 »
GMK also want to try to start..

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1455 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 08:09:23 »
I found no interest in this set until someone say it could be GMK :D
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1456 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 08:51:39 »
Call me old fashioned but if you start talking business with a company and due to the size of the order/whatever if another option opens up you should stick with the company that you originally started conducting the business with.  Plus if SP has already developed the custom color that we are using for this then they have already put money on the line.  And don't give me the "they are a large enough company to soak the cost of that color".  Granted they may be but that isn't the point.  It would be very bad business to suddenly change vendors after SP has already forked out the money for the new color.  Therefore, my vote is to keep this GB with SP.  If massdrop wants to do their own groupbuy with GMK we can't say anything to stop them.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1457 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 09:04:35 »
I agree with your point concerning business ethics. But that's why Dan proposed to do all the special keys with SP so they can use the color. The base set could be done by GMK.

But it's actually not even worth discussing before we know whether GMK would actually do these colors. And even if they could we will still have to get more than 400 orders with the higher prices...

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1458 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 09:12:39 »
I agree with your point concerning business ethics. But that's why Dan proposed to do all the special keys with SP so they can use the color. The base set could be done by GMK.

But it's actually not even worth discussing before we know whether GMK would actually do these colors. And even if they could we will still have to get more than 400 orders with the higher prices...

If this was the route we took then those extra caps would probably get expensive as the cost to cover the custom color would only be spread across what 2 or 3 caps a set?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1459 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 09:19:09 »
Well, there are also a lot of novelty caps in the vendor packs. We could make these mandatory so everybody contributes to reaching the order minimum for SP.

But this is way too much speculating right now. Dan will tell us what he thinks is best for his GB :)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1460 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 09:25:02 »
I count a total of 22 novelty caps all tallied up between the base sets, the winkeyless set, the toxic mod set, and the vendor sets.  Would still be very pricey.  I still vote just to keep this GB with SP for the duration.  If someone wants to run a massdrop gb after this via GMK, well.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #1461 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 09:58:07 »
Call me old fashioned but if you start talking business with a company and due to the size of the order/whatever if another option opens up you should stick with the company that you originally started conducting the business with.  Plus if SP has already developed the custom color that we are using for this then they have already put money on the line.  And don't give me the "they are a large enough company to soak the cost of that color".  Granted they may be but that isn't the point.  It would be very bad business to suddenly change vendors after SP has already forked out the money for the new color.  Therefore, my vote is to keep this GB with SP.  If massdrop wants to do their own groupbuy with GMK we can't say anything to stop them.

So far all that has happened is I've given SP $90 out of my pocket for two new caps, and I asked for some preliminary pricing that is no longer valid.

There is no money for a new color. They got a small bit of sample color and they will only get a new color if the order is large enough to consume it all.

For example if I was going to get some black caps made SP would have to buy the material to make my caps. If the order was large enough it makes no difference if they are buying black or a new color because the materials cost the same no matter what. At least that is my understanding from conversations with Melissa at SP.

At the moment SP has groupbuy after groupbuy pouring in but most of them are only in quantities of 75-200. Since we reached such a high number of "orders" or interest in this groupbuy we should seize the opportunity to hit the MOQ at GMK IF they can get our custom color which would match SPs because I gave them a Pantone number, and we'll still get a ton of extras from Signature plastics as well (vendor set, center-stemmed stepped caps lock, 8x and 10x spacebars in both colors, toxic bubbles and beaker mod keys, and blanks in both colors in case someone wants to make their own otaku set.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1462 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 10:10:39 »

So far all that has happened is I've given SP $90 out of my pocket for two new caps, and I asked for some preliminary pricing that is no longer valid.

There is no money for a new color. They got a small bit of sample color and they will only get a new color if the order is large enough to consume it all.

For example if I was going to get some black caps made SP would have to buy the material to make my caps. If the order was large enough it makes no difference if they are buying black or a new color because the materials cost the same no matter what. At least that is my understanding from conversations with Melissa at SP.

At the moment SP has groupbuy after groupbuy pouring in but most of them are only in quantities of 75-200. Since we reached such a high number of "orders" or interest in this groupbuy we should seize the opportunity to hit the MOQ at GMK IF they can get our custom color which would match SPs because I gave them a Pantone number, and we'll still get a ton of extras from Signature plastics as well (vendor set, center-stemmed stepped caps lock, 8x and 10x spacebars in both colors, toxic bubbles and beaker mod keys, and blanks in both colors in case someone wants to make their own otaku set.

I see says the blind man

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1463 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 12:05:48 »
So far all that has happened is I've given SP $90 out of my pocket for two new caps

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. In this case there is not even a moral respsonibility to do the set with SP in my opinion...

If I am not mistaken Ivan said that GMK could do all colors, so getting the toxic color shouldn't be a problem :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1464 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 15:43:49 »
Biggest thing with a split approach would be colour-matching between SP and GMK.

Also profile-matching.

Either way this GB got hundreds of orders when it was from SP.

If it switches to GMK and the price goes up, a few people might drop out, but will sufficient new people join because it is GMK?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #1465 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 17:03:37 »
Biggest thing with a split approach would be colour-matching between SP and GMK.

Also profile-matching.

Either way this GB got hundreds of orders when it was from SP.

If it switches to GMK and the price goes up, a few people might drop out, but will sufficient new people join because it is GMK?

I think yes, and if MassDrop helps then even more people will see it. MassDrop adds on 15% of what the items cost so I think we would be at or possibly cheaper than what GMK sets cost from  originative. Especially if you take the recent dolch buy into account where 87 keys was $95+$25 for winkeyless add-on + $25 for numpad = $145 for what they normally sell a 110 set for $95-100.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #1466 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 17:05:37 »
MD also has very relatively cheaper shipping.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #1467 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 18:27:33 »
Yes working with MassDrop would mean cheaper shipping for everyone, they would do the sorting, and I wouldn't have to worry about the tax ramifications of moving so much money though my PayPal and/or bank account.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #1468 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 18:28:49 »
Begin talks with GMK/MD you must

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1469 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 18:32:43 »
Yes working with MassDrop would mean cheaper shipping for everyone, they would do the sorting, and I wouldn't have to worry about the tax ramifications of moving so much money though my PayPal and/or bank account.

Would that mean that we would have to sign up with, and go through, Massdrop in order to take part in this?

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #1470 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 18:32:59 »
Begin talks with GMK/MD you must

Had about an hour conversation with MassDrop last night, shooting off an email to GMK shortly  ;)

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #1471 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 19:55:15 »
New here and just placed my order.

1 base kit, 1 modifier kit, 1 numpad kit, 1 winkeyless kit, 1 stepped caps lock, 1 vendor set- small flat box to canada

Offline berrymxblue

« Reply #1472 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 20:22:04 »
I just remembered I may have ordered this set a long time ago... not sure what I ordered at this point but really looking forward to how the samples would look.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #1473 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 20:26:12 »
I just remembered I may have ordered this set a long time ago... not sure what I ordered at this point but really looking forward to how the samples would look.

If we end up going through MassDrop (this is looking more and more likely every day) then you will be placing your order again anyways. I will just be using peoples email addresses to notify them to go to MassDrop.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #1474 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 20:38:10 »
Daniel, what sets are you proposing with GMK? Since they are slightly more expensive, it might make more sense to have simple and fewer kits.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #1475 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 21:26:43 »
Daniel, what sets are you proposing with GMK? Since they are slightly more expensive, it might make more sense to have simple and fewer kits.

Probably going to combine the numpad with the base kit, and the winkeyless kit with the modifiers. Appropriately colored ISO keys will be with the correct colored sets. Still trying to decide if the color accent stripe from the base kit will get added with the modifiers to save on duplicate keys. The toxic bubbles and beaker will not be included from GMK if we go with GMK and will be replaced with blanks or windows keys depending what size they are. Best news for our ISO crowd is that generic ISO keys can be included with legends instead of blanks.

Offline GeeNDL82

« Reply #1476 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 21:40:09 »
i hope you can make deal with GMK, danielucf.

But final decision is yours.
Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club: http://vietnammechkey.com/

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1477 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 22:26:00 »

Probably going to combine the numpad with the base kit, and the winkeyless kit with the modifiers. Appropriately colored ISO keys will be with the correct colored sets. Still trying to decide if the color accent stripe from the base kit will get added with the modifiers to save on duplicate keys. The toxic bubbles and beaker will not be included from GMK if we go with GMK and will be replaced with blanks or windows keys depending what size they are. Best news for our ISO crowd is that generic ISO keys can be included with legends instead of blanks.

If this does go to GMK would we still be doing the vendor kit  and other novelty keys via SP?  Or are the profile differences between cherry and DCS large enough that people won't want to do it?

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #1478 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 22:37:05 »
I'll still do it. People always want all kinds of keys for all kinds of uses.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #1479 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 22:39:55 »
I just like fancy keycaps

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1480 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 23:09:08 »

Hush, child, don't say things like that around here.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #1481 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 23:52:26 »

But dem designs and fancyness

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1482 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 23:54:43 »

Saying things like that you'll get all sorts of people trying to sell you all manner of nice shiny things ...

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #1483 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 00:11:40 »

Saying things like that you'll get all sorts of people trying to sell you all manner of nice shiny things ...

In my wtb thread I say I want used shiny things.

Well not in that wording

but you know what i mean

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1484 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 00:42:20 »
Best news for our ISO crowd is that generic ISO keys can be included with legends instead of blanks.

Awesome news!

This GB is getting better and better. I was already excited for the original one, but the prospect of thick GMK keys makes me drool :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1485 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 04:36:14 »
Best news for our ISO crowd is that generic ISO keys can be included with legends instead of blanks.

Awesome news!

This GB is getting better and better. I was already excited for the original one, but the prospect of thick GMK keys makes me drool :p

If they can do the colour.  We went to a lot of trouble to select that particular colour.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1486 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 05:10:36 »
why don't we have those toxic bubles and geekhack keycaps made by GMK ? The new Dolch set  have new windows and menu legends so custom legend is not impossible with GMK right ?
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #1487 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 07:39:53 »
The toxic bubbles and beaker will not be included from GMK if we go with GMK and will be replaced with blanks or windows keys depending what size they are.

No chance of alternate windows keys?  Maybe something they already have, like diamonds?
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1488 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 08:04:30 »
The toxic bubbles and beaker will not be included from GMK if we go with GMK and will be replaced with blanks or windows keys depending what size they are.

No chance of alternate windows keys?  Maybe something they already have, like diamonds?

They may not have the means to cut new legends or the cost may be higher than what we are willing to pay.

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #1489 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 08:12:15 »
I would be in for a GMK set.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1490 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 08:27:51 »
So, since it seems likely that this will be a GMK order, all the waiting for the Cherry replica legends from SP has become moot, and this could have gone forward almost a year ago?

:))
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1491 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 08:33:42 »
So, since it seems likely that this will be a GMK order, all the waiting for the Cherry replica legends from SP has become moot, and this could have gone forward almost a year ago?

:))

Also has anyone had any experience with massdrop customer service in the event there are any issues, missing keys etc?

And we still don't know what the prices will be so there's always that  ::)

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #1492 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 08:45:11 »
We did not have such high orders until a couple months ago when more people saw replica legends almost finished and started ordering. I was also not aware of GMK potentially doing custom colors until recently, although I should have suspected it and asked.

Offline nopunchespulled

« Reply #1493 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 09:31:11 »

Would that mean that we would have to sign up with, and go through, Massdrop in order to take part in this?

I'm confused, I just want this set, who do I give money to?

Also would mass drop have a listed number of sets available? Never used them and it would suck if people missed out on getting this set that have been waiting for it

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1494 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 09:34:06 »
This has not been ordered yet.  The set was waiting on new legends to be cut.  They are now done and with an influx of new orders the manufacturer of choice for this set is up in the air.  No money changing hands yet.

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #1495 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 09:36:37 »

I'm confused, I just want this set, who do I give money to?

Also would mass drop have a listed number of sets available? Never used them and it would suck if people missed out on getting this set that have been waiting for it

Nobody yet.

Just the opposite, there'll be a minimum number of orders before Massdrop group buy succeeds. In rare cases, they have limited supply, but this likely isn't one of them

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1496 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 09:43:20 »
Daniel can we get an update in the op on the current state of affairs?

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #1497 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 11:34:03 »
Daniel can we get an update in the op on the current state of affairs?

Done. For the most part.

GMK rep got back with me, here are the essentials of what he said:
They can't work with Pantone colors but he suggested RAL 1016 Sulfur yellow which is kind of off from our color.
If that color is fine with us (we can probably get SP to use the same color) it may be possible to get the custom color MOQ from 1000 down to 600  :-\

I'm not enthused about the color. If you look up images of "RAL 1016" on google some of them look good and similar to what SP made, and others look closer to a regular yellow.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1498 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 11:36:42 »
That kind of sucks.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #1499 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 11:58:44 »
What about Signature Plastic's VAT color?

43852-0