Author Topic: [IC] GEECKERS PANAVISE 301  (Read 3553 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
[IC] GEECKERS PANAVISE 301
« on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:47:25 »
I currently have 20 units of panavise 301s. My plan with them is to powdercoat them in site colors OR custom colors (see the GEECKERS TOOLING thread), then upgrade the retaining devices to hold much better than stock. i run prototypes of this upgraded retainer on my units, but i spent nearly 10$ per unit on parts alone to upgrade the units, and i've found deficiencies even at that 10$ mark. however, i was not carefully managing costs, and i think I can get it down to 5$ my cost per unit to upgrade (not including labor). IF there is demand for more than 20 units, I will purchase more. otherwise, i will leave this be at 20.

note that retail price on these will be in the range of 60$. so, slightly more than a retail panavise unit with the factory not-very-good-paint or retaining mechanism. that said, once i get the retaining mech upgrade worked out, i will stock just the upgrade kits for around 10-15$ depending on how my costs work out. SO, for 60$ you can get a full unit with powdercoating and upgraded mechanism or for 60$ you can get a factory unit from amazon and the upgraded mechanism from me.

note that this isn't quite accurate, because you will have to pay for shipping from me to you, whereas amazon will give you free shipping.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: [IC] GEECKERS PANAVISE 301
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:49:43 »
Where's that meme where I tell you to shut up and take my money? :P

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:51:26 »
The  PanaVise 301 Standard PanaVise  is ~$45 at amazon.

Are these the one's radioshack had on sale?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:02:41 »
yes, my plan is to clean out radioshack. because radioshack is a bizarre company, you have to have a secret code of some kind to do so. i happen to know the secret code because i am a friendly guy.

however, i don't want to get stuck with a thousand dollars in panavises sitting in inventory. this does not help the community at all.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:06:17 »
yes, my plan is to clean out radioshack. because radioshack is a bizarre company, you have to have a secret code of some kind to do so. i happen to know the secret code because i am a friendly guy.

however, i don't want to get stuck with a thousand dollars in panavises sitting in inventory. this does not help the community at all.

So your taking a $20 radioshack deal, modding them and selling for $60?

I'm just trying to make sense of the numbers. If it's sell it for $60 because thats what they are supposed to cost but it's better and helps out geekhack that's fine.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:14:52 »
it was 23 with tax, now it is 20 with tax. but yes, i would be disassembling then, powdercoating them, machining parts by hand to make them sturdier, sourcing better locking nuts, lubricating, reassembling, QCing, then selling them to you at low margin, completely disregarding my labor. (if you count my labor, it's way WAY negative).

i will also be making these parts available to international customers, who have to deal with the crappiest third hand things ever right now.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:15:55 »
if i had to buy them at distributor prices (best case) or normal retail (worst case) i wouldn't even bother. frankly i had the opportunity to clean them out for a few bucks more earlier, when i thought i had powdercoating for fixed cost, but chose not to because i was so unsure of demand.

to be very clear, what i'm saying is that the only reason i can even offer this for 60$ is that they are being sold at or under cost right now by radioshack, period. if no one cares about that and wants to suffer through crappy third hands, i will just let it lie. i make very negative money on this site, which makes everyone i care about in real life quite angry. i do what i do because i consider the community to be my friends and family as well.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:18:03 by mkawa »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:18:25 »
Maybe take some actions shots so people can get an idea of how exactly hey can use these and how helpful they will be, might get interest up!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:20:08 »
it's a solid vice on a ball head. they are the best desktop vices in the world. i don't have time to add extensive marketing to the list of things i lose money on, sorry. if there's no demand with the world as it is, there's no demand, and i drop it.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:20:20 »
I should really get one of these. Can I play with one at your place next month to test it kawa?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:20:35 »
of course

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:22:28 »
I'm still in. I really want a vice and this is perfect for my needs. Ray do you ever need something clamped or something held in place? It's a vice, use your imagination for the uses.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:33:45 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:23:40 »

I'm still in. I really want a vice and this is perfect for my needs. Ray do you ever need something clamped or something help in place? It's a vice, use your imagination for the uses.

Kinky ;)

Yea I'll take one kawa.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:27:23 »
I'm still in. I really want a vice and this is perfect for my needs. Ray do you ever need something clamped or something help in place? It's a vice, use your imagination for the uses.

Well I'm still in the 'planning' phase I haven't gotten my hands too dirty yet. I am just a visual person, words only take me so far and sadly I have no imagination :P

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:36:22 »
the panavise website and googling panavise on youtube will give you a mich better idea of how they work. my modifications just make them better to use and give them the functionality of the big cast iron vices that are impossible to use but exert a ton more clamping force.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:37:03 »
the powdercoating gives them color and the liquid paint on the diecast not-very-high-quality aluminum is basically crap.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:48:13 »
Can you autograph mine?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:58:18 »
I already have one. I'm interested in the upgrade kit, and maybe the powder coating, but probably not.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:05:31 »
upgraded by dr.kawa. yes please!

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:23:19 »
I'm in for 2 :D Still in hoarding mode

Can I just get 2 and have you ship them with QFR cases and lube from geekhackers.org store?

:D:D:D:D

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 17:07:11 »
ok, i'm just not seeing more demand. this is closed. will only attempt to finish off and move the units i have.