Author Topic: GMK white/dark grey US/GB full set + 'Gamer' add-on {Closed}  (Read 245959 times)

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
Re: GMK white/dark grey US/GB full set + 'Gamer' add-on
« Reply #1050 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 08:58:55 »
I honestly don't understand why people will pay $105 plus shipping for a dolch base set to a vendor who is absent, uncommunicative and has many outstanding unfulfilled orders but they won't support a community effort.

Why not buy the set Ivan is offering here?

He has great communication, flawless shipping and the price is right for a much larger variety of keys.

We can always do alpha group buys later to make this set Dolch or any other crazy combination people want.
I think I know why. People like dual color sets and known from many previous group buys that works for them, on the side Dolch is the most popular hence why so many chose that over this. Honestly I think Dolch is boring and this set is a great start for mix and match in future but many people don't like to wait for that and will rather stick to the already popular set which you can't buy anywhere at the moment. Heck I think even if GMK classic beige can get to MOQ quite easy these days. There is the argument that for lets say someone who use 60% or TKL keyboards he won't like to go for a $120 set which includes so much unnecessary keys for their board. Yes I know you might want to switch to tsangan in the future and whatnot but I doubt many people will use the 1u backspace, the shortened caps etc. I think easier to reach MOQ are those kind of GB which include adapter pack f.e ISO kit, tsangan etc. it might not be in favor of everyone but at least reaches MOQ quicker. Don't get me wrong I like this set and if I could afford it at the moment I would sign up without a doubt.
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline Halvar

« Reply #1051 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 09:59:50 »
(deleted, I think I misunderstood candyflip.)
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 March 2014, 10:08:11 by Halvar »

Offline redeye

« Reply #1052 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 16:49:11 »
Sorry i may have ordered twice. I just want the one set. :-[

Offline avtar

« Reply #1053 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 17:00:18 »
Ivan, has the order count increased at all since the Mar 23 total or dipped down again?

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1054 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 21:06:49 »
I'm curious on order count too. This only ends on the 1st if it hits MOQ right? I'd like to get in but need to scrape the funds together first.

Offline avtar

« Reply #1055 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 21:08:26 »
I'm curious on order count too. This only ends on the 1st if it hits MOQ right? I'd like to get in but need to scrape the funds together first.

My impression is that it ends on the 1st one way or the other :(

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1056 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 21:10:19 »

Oh well that sucks. Bring on classic beige!!! :D

Offline mousesony

« Reply #1057 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 21:35:45 »

Bring on classic beige!!! :D

This please.

Offline ebacho

« Reply #1058 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 21:45:40 »

The thing is, you can get 90% of the way there by buying a normal Cherry DS board.  The only reason to get a GMK made set is to get the 1.25x mods and maybe a 2.75x shift if you got your caps from a 1800 variant.  I don't see the appeal of getting a group buy together for something that's not extraordinarily hard to source, at least any more so than other vintage stuff.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1059 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 22:19:32 »

The thing is, you can get 90% of the way there by buying a normal Cherry DS board.  The only reason to get a GMK made set is to get the 1.25x mods and maybe a 2.75x shift if you got your caps from a 1800 variant.  I don't see the appeal of getting a group buy together for something that's not extraordinarily hard to source, at least any more so than other vintage stuff.
I disagree, its not as easy as it used to be. Especially to find new/like new sets. THose boards get pretty expensive. A complete set, brand new, no wonky keys or sourcing a moogle, for about $100. Sounds much better to me.

Offline goonx

« Reply #1060 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 01:00:17 »
I honestly don't understand why people will pay $105 plus shipping for a dolch base set to a vendor who is absent, uncommunicative and has many outstanding unfulfilled orders but they won't support a community effort.

He has great communication, flawless shipping and the price is right for a much larger variety of keys.

We can always do alpha group buys later to make this set Dolch or any other crazy combination people want.

I really want to support this GB but it's already quite expensive as it is... Not sure I would be willing to pay again for a set of alphas that may or may not come around the next round. If this had the alphas in grey, i would jump in with both feet.
It's unfortunate about Orginative and you're right about his absence. But if the dolch is in stock, that is exactly the product I want.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #1061 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 01:04:55 »

I really want to support this GB but it's already quite expensive as it is... Not sure I would be willing to pay again for a set of alphas that may or may not come around the next round. If this had the alphas in grey, i would jump in with both feet.
It's unfortunate about Orginative and you're right about his absence. But if the dolch is in stock, that is exactly the product I want.

Quite expensive in what sense? A $120 full set caps more expensive than $105 Originative TKL Dolch set? Plus you never know whether you will get those keys from Sherry. Plus you never know whether any key will be missing. Ok I'd better stop.

Someone please tell me what is this Dolch obsession...
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #1062 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 01:08:14 »
Dolch is sexy. but there are so many more other sets that also look sexy.

Offline goonx

« Reply #1063 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 01:10:56 »

Quite expensive in what sense? A $120 full set caps more expensive than $105 Originative TKL Dolch set?

Someone tell me what is this Dolch obsession...

Well now you're just putting my words out of context. As someone pointed out earlier, I still need to buy grey alphas in the "future" to make this a two-tone set and that would add to the cost if I wanted the dolch colour tones. I don't see myself buying multiple sets of GMK keycaps.

Two-tone colour scheme looks sharper and attractive. It goes with my walnut/ash wood case that I planning on prototyping. It is personal preference really. Some people like legends and some don't. You like blue and I like red. I don't see why the two opinions can't exist together.

Nothing wrong with this set. In fact, Ivan is running it so it's a huge bonus.

Are you talking about vendors or are you talking about colour tones? those are separate things.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 March 2014, 01:17:31 by goonx »

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #1064 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 01:17:59 »

Quite expensive in what sense? A $120 full set caps more expensive than $105 Originative TKL Dolch set?

Someone tell me what is this Dolch obsession...

Well now you're just putting my words out of context. As someone pointed out earlier, I still need to buy grey alphas in the "future" to make this a two-tone set and that would add to the cost if I wanted the dolch colour tones. I don't see myself buying multiple sets of GMK keycaps.

Two-tone colour scheme looks sharper. It is personal preference really. Some people like legends and some don't. You like blue and I like red. I don't see why the two opinions can't exist together.

Nothing wrong with this set. In fact, Ivan is running it so it's a huge bonus.

Are you talking about vendors or are you talking about colour tones? those are separate things.

Ah I see what you mean. If all you really care about is Dolch, then it is too costly to first get Ivan's set and then get grey alphas. I agree.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #1065 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 10:28:12 »
Hmmm - I might have to pull out of this as my car's in the garage and they don't know what's wrong with it.  From experience that usually only means one thing - a large bill...  I'll wait to hear from them before I decide but I hope this makes it either way...
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #1066 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 10:48:42 »
Yeah,  depending on when we get involved for this I too might have to pull out,  the GB has run so long,  and financial situation changes over this time.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #1067 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 13:02:22 »
Had the phone call today - work will come to over £1300 ($2000)

Will definitely have to pull out of this - how would I go about that?  Resubmit a blank order?
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1068 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 13:24:03 »
There have only been a few additional orders. At this time unless either 50ish orders come in the next couple days, or a large order from reseller appears I think will have to admit defeat here.
Assuming that happens I will get an IC going to discuss colorways. I think the key selection should stick as we went through so much work on getting that settled over this time.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 March 2014, 13:25:53 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline avtar

« Reply #1069 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 13:27:08 »
That really sucks :'(

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1070 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 13:39:36 »

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #1071 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 13:46:53 »
lets not let this be the gmk set that got away, itll work with most anything else we do with gmk in the future

ill add an extra set to my order

you can never have enough gmk

if as many people as possible can add a spare set, we can get this done

worst case scenario, if you dont want a spare, as soon as these drop, there will be insane demand, its not like itll be hard to shift

id rather pay 240 for 2 sets than totally lose out trying to spend 120
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline avtar

« Reply #1072 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 14:25:46 »
I only need one set but I'll pick up a second if it makes a difference. The only thing is that I always take a hit getting anything shipped to Canada and then more often than not it's someone in the U.S. that buys from me; I then end up having to cover part of the extra shipping costs again. Would someone in the U.S. be willing to receive the second set on my behalf and ship it for me when I find someone who wants to buy it later? You could increase your order by one and I'll send you a Paypal transfer for the second set when or if invoicing happens.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #1073 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 14:44:46 »
I only need one set but I'll pick up a second if it makes a difference. The only thing is that I always take a hit getting anything shipped to Canada and then more often than not it's someone in the U.S. that buys from me; I then end up having to cover part of the extra shipping costs again. Would someone in the U.S. be willing to receive the second set on my behalf and ship it for me when I find someone who wants to buy it later? You could increase your order by one and I'll send you a Paypal transfer for the second set when or if invoicing happens.

my man

this is the attitude we need to make this happen

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #1074 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 14:45:28 »
There have only been a few additional orders. At this time unless either 50ish orders come in the next couple days, or a large order from reseller appears I think will have to admit defeat here.
Assuming that happens I will get an IC going to discuss colorways. I think the key selection should stick as we went through so much work on getting that settled over this time.

There is another thread gathering orders on EnjoyClick, a Chinese forumn. I'm not sure whether those orders are already submitted on GH, but I will contact the author of that thread and see.

Offline kekstee

« Reply #1075 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 14:51:17 »
Oh god, not another IC. Look I can see the future: "These Gulf Oil colours would look amazing in my use case and go with absoultely nothing else! Let's make those!!! ANSI base set please!"

If that's enough horror for you, +1 your order now :D

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #1076 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 15:07:08 »

Avtar, I'll volunteer to shepherd your additional set. I've already doubled down myself so I'll up my order to three.

Offline gojira54

« Reply #1077 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 15:14:37 »
Two is as many as I can stretch to...
What bunny said is the truth - order as much as you can afford now or regret it when it doesn't happen.
I'm in no doubt that it will be easy to sell extras and recoup the $$$ once they are produced

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1078 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 15:47:28 »
For those that may consider buying extra sets... if you wish, I could hold them in a resell pool to avoid multiple trans global shipping, and simply refund you the original price when they are resold?
Also, for those that can't afford to doubledown... perhaps you could 'donate' a few extra $$$ to pool buying additional sets? When those are resold the proceeds could go to GH/DT or whatever.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 March 2014, 15:49:57 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #1079 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 15:49:08 »
For those that may consider buying extra sets... if you wish, I could hold them in a resell pool to avoid multiple trans global shipping, and simply refund you the original price when they are resold?

good man

lets get this thing done

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1080 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 15:55:53 »
I can't remember if I ordered this or not...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1081 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 15:58:52 »
I can't remember if I ordered this or not...

Story of my life...

Ivan, do you think you could put me down for 1 order in this "pool" that you mention?  If I remember correctly, I have not placed an order yet, so it's slightly different from the scenario you described, but I'm very much on the fence about the money for this one, so this would be the ideal situation for me.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1082 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 16:21:35 »
I will get a form up or something shortly for pool set buy ins. This won't entitle anyone to anything other than a donation to forum on your behalf at a later time after those pool sets are sold.

jdcarpe, I don't see anything for you on my sheet currently.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 March 2014, 16:23:11 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1083 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 16:28:03 »
I will get a form up or something shortly for pool set buy ins. This won't entitle anyone to anything other than a donation to forum on your behalf at a later time after those pool sets are sold.

Or you could sell their set and refund them. Like you said for people buying two. This will help with MOQ right?

When will payment be needed for this if it goes through? I am interested but don't have the funds right now.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1084 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 17:01:35 »
If it proceeds, will probably make payment due something like 15 April.

Sure it would be nice if people could double up and I can resell those sets on their behalf no problem. I am not sure if people are following what I mean by buying pool for additional sets so I will elaborate. So since not everyone can afford multiple sets, but they do want to ensure that this goes forward... someone could chip in an extra $2, $5, etc then when enough people have done that it would go to purchasing additional set. As such it could either be micro loans for the groupbuy, or I could donate the proceeds to the forum or whatever.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1085 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 17:11:59 »

jdcarpe, I don't see anything for you on my sheet currently.

You're one closer to MOQ now.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline avtar

« Reply #1086 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 17:49:12 »
Avtar, I'll volunteer to shepherd your additional set. I've already doubled down myself so I'll up my order to three.

You are a gentleman and a scholar :) Just confirming that I'm taking up Ivan on his offer to resell them directly and save on the extra fees.

Offline avtar

« Reply #1087 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 17:49:47 »
Sure it would be nice if people could double up and I can resell those sets on their behalf no problem.

I've doubled up. I wasn't sure how I should specify that the second set shouldn't get shipped to me or if the order form was even the right place to document that.

The buying pool is a great idea btw.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #1088 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 08:39:26 »
Is the set count still sub-200?

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1089 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 09:34:18 »
Ordered three of each but I don't think this is happening. :(

Offline avtar

« Reply #1090 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 09:41:59 »
I think you're right :/ I'm preparing myself to work through the stages of denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance, and just move on. Unless someone orders 50 by Monday night...

Offline Motan22

« Reply #1091 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 01:41:02 »
If only GMK had lowered their standard MOQ to 200, we would be there or there abouts. It was a heroic feat that Ivan managed to pull them down from 400 to 250. At 400 we would have stood absolutely no chance!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1092 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 11:22:09 »
Close... yet still far.

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #1093 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 11:23:15 »

Close... yet still far.

Bye bye gmk grey :(
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #1094 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 11:28:41 »
Oops  :'(

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #1095 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 11:37:52 »
Close... yet still far.

Ivan needs a Dolch GB :3...

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1096 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 11:58:38 »
+1 Dolch GB :v
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #1097 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 12:03:46 »
Dolch is very popular. I think we should go to others :))

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1098 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 12:06:37 »
red alert?

Offline mousesony

An inverted classic white/beige is one of those exceptions... Like the Commodore style. I would like to do a modern repro of that.

Show Image

This looks pretty good.