Author Topic: 60% Keyboard PCB  (Read 24697 times)

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers
60% Keyboard PCB
« on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 10:52:41 »
Im looking into building a 60% keyboard and im just curious what the best PCB is. Is it NerD, FaceW, GH60, etc.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
Re: 60% Keyboard PCB
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 11:22:09 »
I just posted a similar thread about building a 60% board too lol. What requirements do you need for your board? For me the 2 main features I wanted were backlighting and programmable layers and so far I've gone with the Gh60 Satan as the official Satan doesn't support backlighting.

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 14:30:17 »
I just posted a similar thread about building a 60% board too lol. What requirements do you need for your board? For me the 2 main features I wanted were backlighting and programmable layers and so far I've gone with the Gh60 Satan as the official Satan doesn't support backlighting.

I dont need backlit keys, i just would like the underneath and sides of the PCB to glow, and i just ordered zealio switches for it but yea! and where did you order the GH60?
Why didnt you choose the NerD or the FaceW?

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 08:21:34 »

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 11:10:30 »

I dont need backlit keys, i just would like the underneath and sides of the PCB to glow, and i just ordered zealio switches for it but yea! and where did you order the GH60?

I ordered a Satan Gh60 off aliexpress. The main reason I got the Satan is the price, I ordered the pcb with diodes and resistors already soldered, 70 cherry red switches, 70 LEDs, stabilisers and the plate for $88 shipped to me from aliexpress. The FaceW and NerD pcbs are about $55-60 on their own, add the cost of the plate, switches and everything else they will be way over $88! Them 2 pcbs are probably better quality but for my first build I don't plan on spending a lot and I'm sure the Satan pcb will be just fine for my needs. Oh and apparently they don't do some led customisation I need where the Satan can. Will see how it turns out.

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 11:14:30 »

I ordered a Satan Gh60 off aliexpress. The main reason I got the Satan is the price, I ordered the pcb with diodes and resistors already soldered, 70 cherry red switches, 70 LEDs, stabilisers and the plate for $88 shipped to me from aliexpress. The FaceW and NerD pcbs are about $55-60 on their own, add the cost of the plate, switches and everything else they will be way over $88! Them 2 pcbs are probably better quality but for my first build I don't plan on spending a lot and I'm sure the Satan pcb will be just fine for my needs. Oh and apparently they don't do some led customisation I need where the Satan can. Will see how it turns out.

Thanks that's a lot of help I just wish the gh60 wasn't green!

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 11:19:18 »
I really would have liked an 'official' GH60 but it lacks full backlighting without some extras AND the fact that it was green as well lol. But if you are using a plate I guess you can't really see the green pcb.

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 12:16:57 »
I really would have liked an 'official' GH60 but it lacks full backlighting without some extras AND the fact that it was green as well lol. But if you are using a plate I guess you can't really see the green pcb.

Why did the official gh60 stop? Also is programming on it easy?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 12:19:59 »

Why did the official gh60 stop? Also is programming on it easy?
The official GH60 was developed years ago so at the time it had the features people wanted. The official group buy stalled for a long time and is currently in recovery mode.

All these other PCBs are much newer thus having the 'fancier' things people look for now.

Many developments have been made in the way of mechanical keyboards in the last 3 years.

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 12:21:34 »
So if I order the gh60 from tech keys that's a fine pcb? Also are the resisters and diodes pre soldered? And does the gh60 support LEDs underneath the pcb?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 12:32:29 »
The GH60 was originally designed as a group buy started in March 2013(!) but the guy who started it disappeared.  A rescue effort was launched last year and is ongoing, so they are finally appearing in the wild.  It never really stopped so much as didn't start...

For firmware you can use TMK or EasyAVR (both have threads in this subforum, EasyAVR is a gui so very easy) and it's about as hard as any other board to actually flash, that is to say easy enough that anyone can do it.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 13:14:47 »
Awesome thank you! Does the gh60 support LEDs underneath the pcb like the nerd 60 does? Also are the resistors and diodes already soldered?

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 14:17:53 »
It does not have on-board support for under-mounted LEDs

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 14:25:20 »
You could use some of the switch LED pads if you don't use them for backlighting, a couple of resistors on the expansion header would be enough for that :thumb:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 12:33:37 »
As a crazy 60% guy I can say that I have tested almost all 60% PCB's (except for the insane expensive 356 and KMAC , and Duck Viper/Eagle) . I use keyboards as tools so stability and compatibility with any operating system, BIOS etc... is very important, also build quality, fluff comes on the last place.
So my top is:
1. NerD60 - great hardware, original firmware is quite buggy for my taste but you can convert it to TMK and that makes it the best 60% ever, you have also backlight and underlight.
2. GH60 (the original not Satan clones) - the PCB's from the original GB are OK'ish, decent hardware quality. Runs TMK, Easy AVR, easy to program, good stability, great tool :) The PCB's from techkeys.us are way better from the quality point of view, I like them a lot! No fluff for GH60, if you want LED's this is not the board :) You can put just a few (WASD, Esc, Caps, Fn)
3. faceW - very good hardware, backlight support, can be programmed with just a text editor, you have also a GUI but I hate it. The keyboard ia pretty much useless under BIOS.
4. winkeyless.kr boards (B.face, X2 and co) - very good hardware, only GUI for programming and only from Windows or Mac (if you use Linux you are dead), backlight, underlight, rgb in word fluff :P same problems in BIOS as faceW. It's on 4th place because faceW can be programmed on any OS with just a text editor.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 12:56:48 »
As a crazy 60% guy I can say that I have tested almost all 60% PCB's (except for the insane expensive 356 and KMAC , and Duck Viper/Eagle) . I use keyboards as tools so stability and compatibility with any operating system, BIOS etc... is very important, also build quality, fluff comes on the last place.
So my top is:
1. NerD60 - great hardware, original firmware is quite buggy for my taste but you can convert it to TMK and that makes it the best 60% ever, you have also backlight and underlight.
2. GH60 (the original not Satan clones) - the PCB's from the original GB are OK'ish, decent hardware quality. Runs TMK, Easy AVR, easy to program, good stability, great tool :) The PCB's from techkeys.us are way better from the quality point of view, I like them a lot! No fluff for GH60, if you want LED's this is not the board :) You can put just a few (WASD, Esc, Caps, Fn)
3. faceW - very good hardware, backlight support, can be programmed with just a text editor, you have also a GUI but I hate it. The keyboard ia pretty much useless under BIOS.
4. winkeyless.kr boards (B.face, X2 and co) - very good hardware, only GUI for programming and only from Windows or Mac (if you use Linux you are dead), backlight, underlight, rgb in word fluff :P same problems in BIOS as faceW. It's on 4th place because faceW can be programmed on any OS with just a text editor.

Thank you that is very helpful i actually ordered the satan gh60 pcb due to its price and also that it is my first keyboard build. have you played around at all with the satan?

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 14:07:27 »
No, I have never worked on a Satan PCB. I don't care about LED's so I'd rather get a GH60 :)

Offline cpeterson19

• Curis Computers
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 14:12:07 »
Fair enough! ^-^

Offline need

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 14:16:56 »
No, I have never worked on a Satan PCB. I don't care about LED's so I'd rather get a GH60 :)
People always say GON PCBs are exceedingly good quality, does it deserve its status in your opinion?

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 15:42:28 »
People always say GON PCBs are exceedingly good quality, does it deserve its status in your opinion?
I have 3 of them so I'd say : Yes!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 16:14:13 »
So Gon > GH60 from Techkeys > GH60 from GB in terms of build quality?  I've given my GB board some abuse (repeated desoldering of a couple of the switches) and the pads are still perfect so the only improvement I can see would be a through hole mounted USB port so it's a bit tougher.

Another consideration when chosing a PCB is the layout - Gon and Winkeyless don't support 1-1.75 split shift which is a deal breaker for me, a big FN and a 1.5-1-1-1.5 bottom row means I instantly forgot about needing dedicated arrow keys.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline MediocreBadGuy23

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 19:14:18 »
So where does the KC60 stand with all these other PCBs. I have the choice between the KC60 and GH60 and I think I read somewhere that they're the same except the GH60 has ISO support (which I don't need)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 23:50:19 »
KC60 is another low-end PCB, not saying it's bad, it will do the job and it's OK for a first project. I would take an original GH60, but that's me.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 02:37:46 »
@DanielT, just out of curiosity, what do means when you say high quality hardware? The components used (Most important being MCU, which is almost always Atmel), PCB quality, etc?

Offline need

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 04:55:55 »
@MOZ that's what I'm confused about too, hence my question above.

I smell BS with this quality thing.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 05:40:22 »
@MOZ that's what I'm confused about too, hence my question above.

I smell BS with this quality thing.

Hahaha, not saying it's BS, but maybe some placebo (More expensive = better). Just want to know what are the signs of a quality GON vs cheap KC60/Satan, PCB thickness, alignment of holes, finish of the solder mask, or something else?

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 06:36:33 »
I know the compenents are the same, that is not an issue, but the PCB quality is the problem. The cheap PCB's have a lot of flex, you see part of the material comming off on the edges, the edges are not smooth, the solder pads are thin and you end up very easy with lifted pads. The material used for the traces and pads is of lower quality. If the PCB comes presoldered the components are sdered like ****, cold joints. You want me to go on?
I'm not a snob that shells out $$$ on a board only because is a ****ing 356 or made by Angels, but I do want quality. And I'm talking from experience, at least in the 60% keyboard area I've had a lot of experience, I have built almost 20 boards and my current collection consists in 3 NerD60, 2 GH60, 1 faceW, 1 B.face and Alps64 prototype, all built by me with different setups (thick alu plate, 1.5mm alu plate, acrylic plate, PCB mount, steel plate, heavy alu case, light alu case, stock plastic case) . I have compared a lot of designs and I stick to my opinion.
For example a PCB mount NerD60 feels like typing on the softest surface, the density of the PCB material is just right, you don't feel flex.

But I understand why cheap board appeal to people, many of them change the boards like socks and lose interest in this hobby after a year (saw that so often...) , I consider keyboards tools, and I need good tools because I use them for my work. Sometimes I sell one of my boards only to get something better (and no, not for fluff like RGB and pulsating lights or futuristic cases but for better layouts, firmware or PCB quality).
But I'm an old fart, I have other priorities :))

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 07:08:56 »
I know I may sound like an arrogant know it all,
- Cheap assembly and PCB flex is definitely worrying
- Residual flux and unclean edges can be attributed to cheap assembly houses, they don't make a difference in terms of functionality or quality of PCB, however I can understand why you'd want a nice clean PCB, we are all KB enthusiasts here.
- Regarding the quality of traces/pads - almost all PCBs will use copper, I think the issues with lifting pads and harder to solder are because the quality Korean PCBs have HASL finish, the GH60 and Satan PCBs use ENIG. HASL has lead, so easy to solder, the process involves dipping the whole PCB with exposed copper in a solder bath and then using hot air to level and remove excess solder. So the pads on a HASL board are already tinned. Pads are thicker but no levelled correctly, this doesn't really make a difference for keyboard PCBs as we aren't using BGA chips. ENIG has no lead, rather it has a thin layer of immersion gold. That is why the pads are thin but all level. ENIG finish doesn't involve dipping a solder bath. No lead means higher temperatures are required. ENIG is ROHS compliant.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 08:29:36 »
That is some very interesting information :)
I know that basically the technology is the same with some variations, but the small details make all the difference. When you touch a good quality PCB if feels smooth and solid, soldering is a pleasure and you can make clean soldering joints without any effort, and when you have to solder SMD it makes all the difference.
With a cheap PCB, well it does the same job but it's not the same.

What I don't get is this, people complain that a good PCB is too expensive but never have a problem to shell out insane ammounts of cash for artisan caps and expensive keysets and fancy cases, they should know that the end product is as good as the worst component they have used... And I don't want to go in the Gateron land, that is another story I don't get...

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 08:37:18 »
Don't ask me about Artisans and chunks of aluminum slabs.

As I said, HASL has the effect that it is higher quality due to ease of soldering and reworkability. ENIG is generally considered more superior but for keyboards it provide no advantage over HASL, and is less friendly for new builders.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 May 2016, 09:27:02 by MOZ »

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 08:45:10 »
Thanks for the info :) I have learned something very interesting today :)

Offline need

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 08:56:14 »
Alu slaps are like monuments.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 08:58:14 »
Alu slaps are like monuments.
Yeah aluminium slaps take all the fun out of everything.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 09:15:05 »
Monument, reminds me, we are yet to see a ceramic/marble/glass keyboard case, right?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 09:16:49 »
Monument, reminds me, we are yet to see a ceramic/marble/glass keyboard case, right?
I've seen marble wrist supports and discussions on glass keycaps but that is about it.

Offline MediocreBadGuy23

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 15:35:50 »
KC60 is another low-end PCB, not saying it's bad, it will do the job and it's OK for a first project. I would take an original GH60, but that's me.
What's the difference between the two? The GH60 is better quality? I thought the GH60 was better for backlighting and RGB and it can do ISO. But that the KC60 could do all that too except the ISO.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 16:46:11 »
Since there's good discussion going on here I think a comparison table would be good - corrections, blank fills and missing PCBs appreciated.  Might make a good sticky?

PCB  BacklightingFirmware   UnderglowISORight shift optionsRoHS
B.face (Winkeyless)  Single colour  ps2avrU  1 colour top, RGB bottom  Yes   2.75, 1.75-1 
B.face X2 (Winkeyless)  Single colour  ps2avrU  RGB top & bottom   Yes   2.75, 1.75-1 
FaceW (Sprit)   Single colourps2avrU  Yes (unknown)Yes2.75, 1.75-1   
GH60 (GB)Not yet   EasyAVR / TMK   No   Yes   2.75, 1.75-1, 1-1.75   Yes
GH60 (Techkeys)Not yet   EasyAVR / TMK   No   Yes   2.75, 1.75-1, 1-1.75   Yes
GH60 Satan   Single colour  EasyAVR / TMK   No   Yes   2.75, 1.75-1, 1-1.75   Yes
KC60   Single colour   EasyAVR / TMK   No   No   2.75, 1.75-1, 1-1.75   
NerD60 ver2.0 (Gon)   Single colourNerDy GUI   Single colour on sidesYes2.75, 1.75-1   

« Last Edit: Sun, 22 May 2016, 05:46:56 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 16:58:54 »
Since there's good discussion going on here I think a comparison table would be good - corrections, blank fills and missing PCBs appreciated.  Might make a good sticky?

B.face (Winkeyless)  Single colour  ps2avrU  1 colour top, RGB bottom  Yes   2.75, 1.75-1 
B.face (Winkeyless)  Single colour  ps2avrU  RGB top & bottom   Yes   2.75, 1.75-1 
GH60 Satan   Single colour  EasyAVR / TMK   No   Yes   2.75, 1.75-1, 1-1.75   Yes
NerD60 ver2.0 (Gon)   Single colourNerDy GUI   Single colour on sidesYes2.75, 1.75-1   

maybe change Right shift options to supported layouts to cover some other distinctions, I would do it just don't know how to do the fancy tables and have a legend, i.e. WKL - 1.5-1-1.5 bottom row, HHKB - split r-shift + 2x1u backspace, STP - stepped caps lock support

Offline MediocreBadGuy23

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 17:23:32 »

B.face (Winkeyless)  Single colour  ps2avrU  RGB top & bottom   Yes   2.75, 1.75-1 

Thanks so much for this info.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 17:48:29 »
maybe change Right shift options to supported layouts to cover some other distinctions, I would do it just don't know how to do the fancy tables and have a legend, i.e. WKL - 1.5-1-1.5 bottom row, HHKB - split r-shift + 2x1u backspace, STP - stepped caps lock support

I thought about caps lock but they all do both so I didn't add it.  Just looked and they all support split backspace too, so unless I'm missing some boards there's no point adding that either.

Bottom row would be good to add, can you think of any options that can't be made by looking at these?  Might need to split them up more if the left side works but the right doesn't...

Raw keyboard-layout-editor code below for portability.

More
[{a:6,w:0.5},"1",{x:0.5,a:7,w:1.25},"1.25",{w:1.25},"1.25",{w:1.25},"1.25",{w:6.25},"6.25",{w:1.25},"1.25",{w:1.25},"1.25",{w:1.25},"1.25",{w:1.25},"1.25"],
[{a:6,w:0.5},"2",{x:0.5,a:7,w:1.5},"1.5",{w:1},"1",{w:1.5},"1.5",{w:6},"6",{w:1.5},"1.5",{w:1},"1",{w:1},"1",{w:1.5},"1.5"],
[{a:6,w:0.5},"3",{x:0.5,a:7,w:1.5},"1.5",{w:1.5},"1.5",{w:7},"7",{w:1.5},"1.5",{w:1},"1",{w:1},"1",{w:1.5},"1.5"],
[{a:6,w:0.5},"4",{x:0.5,a:7,w:1.5},"1.5",{w:1},"1",{w:1.5},"1.5",{w:7},"7",{w:1.5},"1.5",{w:1},"1",{w:1.5},"1.5"]
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 12:32:46 »
Very good idea to make an inventory with all the PCB's. You can add for NerD60 for firmware also TMK and in the future maybe also Easy AVR. For more details take a look here https://deskthority.net/wiki/Converting_NerD60_to_TMK

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 19:29:47 »
Nice!  Anywhere TMK can go EasyAVR can, they will have to be italic or something though - if you need this list you probably shouldn't be playing with the bootloader...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 02:15:10 »
Nice!  Anywhere TMK can go EasyAVR can, they will have to be italic or something though - if you need this list you probably shouldn't be playing with the bootloader...
Yep, that is true :)) If you don't have experience with these kind of things you can break your board, in reality it is little you can do to make an atmega32u4 unusable but if you are inexperienced you will have a hard time to bring it back to life.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 09:26:40 »
I am trying to decide on either the GH60 at techkeys or its fork at eBay, I would appreciate a lot your feedback on them regarding the layout at the bottom, that I think either can take and considering I do not need backlighting and working with it at the BIOS level is a priority.

The bottom row I need is 1.25-1.25-1.5-7-1.5-1.25-1.25

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 14:28:48 »
I don't think the original GH60 has support for that layout https://geekhack.org/?topic=34959.0 .
Now that I see it it's very interesting.

For BIOS support you don't have to worry, it works. I have it with TMK and no problems

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 14:36:58 »
I don't think the original GH60 has support for that layout https://geekhack.org/?topic=34959.0 .

For BIOS support you don't have to worry, it works. I have it with TMK and no problems

I am totally positive about the support for ISO, splitted right shift in 1+1.75, central 7u space bar with 1.5u mods at both sides; but, the only part I am not that sure is the two 1.25u mods at each side; however, that is an standard distribution of modifiers, therefore it is very likely that can be fit. I will try it with my GON this weekend, I suppose the arrangement at the bottom is pretty close to the GH60, but the Nerd60 has some issues with my BIOS.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 23:00:49 »

I am totally positive about the support for ISO, splitted right shift in 1+1.75, central 7u space bar with 1.5u mods at both sides; but, the only part I am not that sure is the two 1.25u mods at each side; however, that is an standard distribution of modifiers, therefore it is very likely that can be fit. I will try it with my GON this weekend, I suppose the arrangement at the bottom is pretty close to the GH60, but the Nerd60 has some issues with my BIOS.
Why don't you comvert your NerD to TMK? I did that on 3 boards and never regreted it a moment.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 23:09:16 »

GH60 should support that layout -- it uses the two outermost key positions from the 1.25-1.25-1.25-6.25-1.25-1.25-1.25-1.25 bottom row, and the innermost key positions from the 1.5-1-1.5-7-1.5-1-1.5 bottom row. 1.5-1 takes up the same physical space as 1.25-1.25, and I believe the logical key positions of the two outermost modifiers are the same regardless of which of those two configurations is used. It's not common, so it's not listed explicitly, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 23:18:51 »

GH60 should support that layout -- it uses the two outermost key positions from the 1.25-1.25-1.25-6.25-1.25-1.25-1.25-1.25 bottom row, and the innermost key positions from the 1.5-1-1.5-7-1.5-1-1.5 bottom row. 1.5-1 takes up the same physical space as 1.25-1.25, and I believe the logical key positions of the two outermost modifiers are the same regardless of which of those two configurations is used. It's not common, so it's not listed explicitly, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I will give it a try with a GH60 from techkeys, I do not need backlighting and I want my board to be fully compatible with my BIOS, so I will explore that option. One last question: Does the GH60 have support for in switch LEDs? I may want at least the Caps Lock.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 23:20:38 »

I will give it a try with a GH60 from techkeys, I do not need backlighting and I want my board to be fully compatible with my BIOS, so I will explore that option. One last question: Does the GH60 have support for in switch LEDs? I may want at least the Caps Lock.

It has pads for LEDs. I'm not sure exactly how they are wired up, but if you only want caps lock it should be possible to make things work. I'd need to take a look at the electrical layout of the board to be certain though.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)