Author Topic: [IC] GEECKERS TOOLING INVESTMENTS  (Read 30463 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
[IC] GEECKERS TOOLING INVESTMENTS
« on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:02:48 »
Hi Folks,

Recently, I've been incredibly humbled by the outpouring of donations into the geekhackers trust fund. Although I am basically liable for Geekhackers the company (hereby, geeckers), as the community pledges into it, they are owning more and more of it in spirit.

I've been trying to figure out what I can do to best serve the community. Inventory is a difficult problem, although I will be expanding my inventory and getting the webstore up, I have to be cautious with that, because, for example, I have a couple thousand in lubricant and ps2 adapter inventory already that is moving pretty slowly. I like having it here so that people can get these things on demand for very reasonable prices (I always try to beat every known price on my inventory).

However, I feel that tooling is a much better way to serve the community. Currently, the major piece of tooling the geeckers owns (that is still very much in the red and basically represents a huge amount of my equity in the company) is the makerbot rep2x. It's a bit problematic, in that the duty cycle I have been running at it has broken almost every piece in the machine at least once, but the result of this is that makerbot, inc is quite aware that we exist and that i serve the community with one of their (quite cool, actually) units. they have helped quite a bit in providing comped parts where they can and keeping my breakage costs down. my current project with the makerbot is to make easy dispensing and rolling spools for the kester 44 i have in my stockroom but not apportioned into sellable units yet.

hence, ideally what i'd like to do is help the community by purchasing one more piece of tooling that is appropriate for the community and can be heavily used (without breaking, has high demand, etc.).

Option a) Purchase a sherline 5400 series CNC-ready mill and design a control system for it. The cost of this will be in the range of 1500$. These mills are extremely high precision, with some care (basically they need to be weighed down). however, they only handle small parts. think 40-65% keyboard cases, and I have no experience with CAM and gcode compilation yet in the subtractive realm. even if i were to purchase the unit tomorrow, it would be months before this service were online.

Option b) Custom powdercoating services. I have been looking into what i can do powdercoating-wise in my apartment. unfortunately we recently lost our custom powdercoater, so i could attack that hole in our tooling availability. i have found benchtop self-contained units that will allow me to bead blast in my apartment; i already have the solvents needed and a solvent setup to do that part of prep. the hopper-based cabinet would allow me powdercoat up to 80% keyboard cases with the colors that we purchased for our last powdercoater. basically i would bead blast in the cabinet, then snake a ground wire in, clean out the cabinet, and then snake the powdercoat gun in and powder, then bake using an industrial quarter-size convection oven. total cost of this, as I have determined so far (although with my inexperience this may be off) is about 300-400 for a compressor i can run in my apartment, 700 for the cabinet, 700 for the powder gun system, and 600 for the oven, for an estimated equipment cost of about 2000$. I would need to pull a donation drive to fund much of this, as geeckers cash flow is not high enough yet to pay for this. however, the first job i run will be the gh edition panavises. i have 20 of these at the moment, but i am going to attempt to double or triply my stock of them in the very near future (ie, today).
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 October 2013, 20:11:02 by reaper »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: GEECKERS TOOLING INVESTMENTS
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:06:38 »
Kawa, I was literally talking about this earlier. PLEASE SHELL OUT FOR THE SHERLINE. We could really use some CNC milling on GeekHack. Brb, donating the money that I wouldve paid to the local hackerspace to GeekHack.

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:13:18 »
Hmm I would vote for option A since that can provide the community with more creative means in developing cases/keyboard designs. However, I guess what I'm also wondering is how much would it cost for a CNC mill that can do up to an 80% keyboard? As in TKL designs, that way the investment can cover both future TKL designs and 60% keyboard designs since the majority of GHers like using TKL or smaller keyboards. Just my thoughts ^_^
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:17:11 »
Option A would be most interesting I think.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:20:24 »
the sherline can technically do up to an 80% with an appropriate tool, but accurate is going to suffer a LOT the chuck, for example maxes out at 1/4". there is literally no 1/2" chuck for sherline mills. they're really not made for carving out even 60% sized billet blocks. the cnc system i set up for it is going to be very very very finnicky. this is the thing. it could easily be a year before i have a workable system. the makerbot worked out of the box and then everything broke and it's been down for weeks. great learning experience for me, but not great for you guys since i can't print ergodox cases, just as one example, until it's back up AND accurate again.

i'm leaning towards B, because if all we need is cnc machine time, we have access to time in myriad places, with up to 3-axis machines at reasonable rates, driven by master machinists. however, small parts powdercoating is something that no industrial powdercoater ever wants to take on, and we love customizing colors here.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:21:23 »
A

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:21:41 »
Yep I think option A is the way to go as well, I think most people would be pretty capable of finding powder coating services but finding custom cases is much harder.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:22:20 »
i'm leaning towards B, because if all we need is cnc machine time, we have access to time in myriad places, with up to 3-axis machines at reasonable rates, driven by master machinists.

Like where? I've heard nothing but people saying they can't get shop time for one-offs.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:28:59 »
I think the #1 goal as far as resources go should be a CNC mill capable of manufacturing parts of the same quality as the 356/456 series for 80%, 100% and beyond cases. I think that's what we should ultimately aim towards (because I want GHs version of 356), but of course I understand that isn't achievable right now. Just thought I'd say it for the record!

The mill would be cool but.. go big (get the above) or go home. Powdercoating would be really useful.

Really cool that you're looking towards getting resources kawa. Thanks a lot.

https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:29:40 »
i'm leaning towards B, because if all we need is cnc machine time, we have access to time in myriad places, with up to 3-axis machines at reasonable rates, driven by master machinists.

Like where? I've heard nothing but people saying they can't get shop time for one-offs.
Yeah. I had a hard time finding my machinist. He has amazing prices but his work takes a very long time to complete.
github

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:30:48 »
maybe they can't get shop time on a local bridgeport for one offs, but i have offhand access to two places that will give me time for 65-100$/hr on 3-axis machines will do either MOQ of 1 or MOQ of < 5. of course this all depends on size and complexity, but keep in mind that a sherline 5400 isn't even really a 3-axis machine and 1500 ONLY covers the tool motor, the frame, and MAYBE will cover the driving hardware and software (half of which i probably have to write mysefl).

A may be exciting, but it's the kind of capital investment that literally won't be ready to use for six months to a year, and is really for small small parts work. a lathe might be easier and have a shorter learning curvebut obviously it can't do trays, only things like feet, spacers, etc.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:31:55 »
oh, i have one more machinist with good rates who is excellent. price unknown. i'll have to ping my POC on him. he is in south africa but my POC is in switzerland and works with him extremely well. they have everything worked out already. i believe he's about 100$ an hour, but his work is beautiful./

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:33:38 »
Between $65 and $100 with 3-axis mills? That would result in awfully high prices... It takes a long time to make things like cases with 3-axis mills. For example I think my TEK-80 took about 5 weekends to make (of course not all day every day.. but you get the idea)? If not more..
github

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:37:48 »
Option a) Purchase a sherline 5400 series CNC-ready mill and design a control system for it. The cost of this will be in the range of 1500$. These mills are extremely high precision, with some care (basically they need to be weighed down). however, they only handle small parts. think 40-65% keyboard cases, and I have no experience with CAM and gcode compilation yet in the subtractive realm. even if i were to purchase the unit tomorrow, it would be months before this service were online.

A may be exciting, but it's the kind of capital investment that literally won't be ready to use for six months to a year, and is really for small small parts work. a lathe might be easier and have a shorter learning curvebut obviously it can't do trays, only things like feet, spacers, etc.

How I read this when I go back through the thread:

"Hey Captain, let's get you really excited then break your heart"

:|

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:39:06 »
65 on a quality 3-axis (not even a bridgeport) with a skilled machinist in the US is CHEAP. we also have chinese machines. hammer obviously does not use US machinists. and people may not know it but they have been using the heck out of korean machines. where do you think all the kmacs and LZs come from? ;)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:39:29 »

How I read this when I go back through the thread:

"Hey Captain, let's get you really excited then break your heart"

:|
THAT'S MY JOB

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:41:11 »
honestly, i'd rather we use the heck out of the machines we have access to, but skip the finishing and have them custom finished very carefully by me in the myriad colors i already have (treble sent me all our colors)

that said, if people don't care about finishing, and won't use it, it's dumb to waste 2k+ in resources on it.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:44:01 »
I just donated my whole paypal balance to you.

Option A please!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:44:46 »
Perhaps I haven't read around enough, but how will this stuff work?  Someone like me can come up with a design and just send it to you to have it made?  I have to pay for fabrication or pay for membership?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:46:04 »
65 on a quality 3-axis (not even a bridgeport) with a skilled machinist in the US is CHEAP. we also have chinese machines. hammer obviously does not use US machinists. and people may not know it but they have been using the heck out of korean machines. where do you think all the kmacs and LZs come from? ;)

Who's the POC for US machines? What about Hammer/Chinese machining? Or Korea?

I know that they *exist* but it's always, yes they *exist* but myself and the community don't get contact info. Do we go through you? How do we contact Hammer? Does LZ do one offs?

Anyways, I'd be all about powder coating. I just think the milling is way cooler which is why I'm grilling you about it.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:47:49 »
Hmm.. So, at $65-100 ROUGHLY how much would a fairly simple, non-angled case like beast's 60% cost to be machined?

I think powdercoating would be really handy.. the small mill not so much. A bigger mill? HELL YES!
github

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:49:20 »
Perhaps I haven't read around enough, but how will this stuff work?  Someone like me can come up with a design and just send it to you to have it made?  I have to pay for fabrication or pay for membership?
i will charge per hour of use on the sherline unit. it will take me more hours to get a design produced than a professional with a 3-axis machine. honestly, the hourly rates won't be much better. (technically my time is worth a ridiculous amount per hour) BUT we would definitely have the resource as opposed to me keeping a mental map of all the machines we have access to.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:51:52 »
Hmm.. So, at $65-100 ROUGHLY how much would a fairly simple, non-angled case like beast's 60% cost to be machined?
more than i know it costs to get it machined at our cheapest 3-axis machining facility, which would be about 250 (rough guess). and tolerances would be worth, and it would still be unfinished. i think it would take me a year to be able to machine his case design on a sherline, 2k+ in tooling investments (1500 is WITHOUT ANY TOOLS. a mill without tools can't mill anything) and thousands of hours of my time developing a control system and learning how to use it.

Offline Parak

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:56:21 »
I think if I were investing in something cnc for non-personal use, there's no way I would bother with anything cheap and chinese. It'd cost a fair bit more, but a proper heavy duty used cnc machine (perhaps with a conversion kit) with power tool change would be the way to go. Stuff would just get done that much faster and more reliably. Of course, that's just my own general opinion about any tool :p

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:01:17 »
i cannot house a proper heavy duty cnc machine, period, and i couldn't operate it to any reasonable tolerances. that's not something within the geeckers purview.

honestly, it sounds like everyone wants proper machine work. the way to get proper machine work done is to go to a proper machinist with a big machine. you give them all your work and they give you good rates. it's not to buy a hobbyist sherline that is made for carving out mostly non-metals and then to try to hack together a cnc system for it. now, building relationships with machine shops is something that is WITHIN the geeckers purview. let's say we were to start with the_beast's 60% design. we get a run made prepaid by you guys so that the per unit pre-finished cost is in the 250$ range. then, we finish the units with our own tooling so we can get custom colors. total cost, maybe 350$, but each purchase would increase the geeckers trust fund to where we can purchase more resources and tooling and have more leverage with machinists and others.

now does THAT sound like something you guys would be interested in?

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:19:15 »
i cannot house a proper heavy duty cnc machine, period, and i couldn't operate it to any reasonable tolerances. that's not something within the geeckers purview.

honestly, it sounds like everyone wants proper machine work. the way to get proper machine work done is to go to a proper machinist with a big machine. you give them all your work and they give you good rates. it's not to buy a hobbyist sherline that is made for carving out mostly non-metals and then to try to hack together a cnc system for it. now, building relationships with machine shops is something that is WITHIN the geeckers purview. let's say we were to start with the_beast's 60% design. we get a run made prepaid by you guys so that the per unit pre-finished cost is in the 250$ range. then, we finish the units with our own tooling so we can get custom colors. total cost, maybe 350$, but each purchase would increase the geeckers trust fund to where we can purchase more resources and tooling and have more leverage with machinists and others.

this actually sounds more convincing.. a proper business relationship with a professional machinist would be a better deal

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:28:33 »
Yes I would like the case that I had a small hand in designing. <3 you The_Beast but metal > wood.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:35:14 »

This sounds a lot better.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:56:29 »
this actually sounds more convincing.. a proper business relationship with a professional machinist would be a better deal
YES. I was about to say. If we can't get the machines ourselves then a business relationship is what's needed! Make that happen kawa and I'll forever love you (even more than I do already)
github

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:38:32 »

This makes more sense than anything posted before this post.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 18:22:37 »
then the question is how much does the community want and/or need this tooling and how much will they use it?

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 18:50:15 »
then the question is how much does the community want and/or need this tooling and how much will they use it?
To be completely honest, I'm not sure how much we would use it.  The projects are expensive themselves, then you add the tooling costs.  May set some people off.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 18:51:37 »
The projects are expensive because of tooling yes?

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 18:55:48 »
The projects are expensive because of tooling yes?
True.  Just playing devils advocate.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 19:29:21 »
yah, and it's extremely reasonable to play devil's advocate here. we want to start with investing into technologies that we will use the crap out of, not things we kind of sort of want.

what is a powder setup good for? coloring metal, coloring metal plated plastic. that's it. that's all it can be used for. the object you paint has to be 1) conductive 2) withstand 350F or so without warping for about 10-20 minutes. most plastics don't fit this bill. IF we stick with plastics for most things, then this isn't going to help us.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 September 2013, 19:31:07 by mkawa »

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 19:33:39 »
yah, and it's extremely reasonable to play devil's advocate here. we want to start with investing into technologies that we will use the crap out of, not things we kind of sort of want.

what is a powder setup good for? coloring metal, coloring metal plated plastic. that's it. that's all it can be used for. the object you paint has to be 1) conductive 2) withstand 350F or so without warping for about 10-20 minutes. most plastics don't fit this bill. IF we stick with plastics for most things, then this isn't going to help us.
If we do get milling services, will you be producing geekhackers products (i.e. aluminum cases, similar to MKC or something) to sell on the site?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 19:57:56 »
it's up to you guys really. i can make contacts, aggregate money, but it's mostly you guys who design and make stuff. we have the printer for rapid prototyping to some extent, but it's just a metal box until you shove a design at it. a 3-axis mill is just a big hunk of metal until you put an expert machinist and good gcode corresponding to a solid into it.

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:17:55 »
How about organizing some form of design contest? I don't think every single GH member would have a specific design idea all at once.
So what we can do is organize time frames:
Design Month --> a bunch of GHers decide to try and tackle in on a design idea. Those particular members who are involved in design ideas post up their ideas, and let GHers vote on what design the deem best etc. or accomodate for a certain number of designs for that particular round.
Designs then are submitted and refined --> develop a prototype --> communicate with the machinist (get quotes on pricing I suppose).
Once the design has been approved you then launch a legitimate interest check in GHers who are interested in buying in and investing on that design
Production then happens....
GHers get their product =)

Next round occurs etc.

I don't know just brainstorming lol

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:20:17 »
How about organizing some form of design contest? I don't think every single GH member would have a specific design idea all at once.
So what we can do is organize time frames:
Design Month --> a bunch of GHers decide to try and tackle in on a design idea. Those particular members who are involved in design ideas post up their ideas, and let GHers vote on what design the deem best etc. or accomodate for a certain number of designs for that particular round.
Designs then are submitted and refined --> develop a prototype --> communicate with the machinist (get quotes on pricing I suppose).
Once the design has been approved you then launch a legitimate interest check in GHers who are interested in buying in and investing on that design
Production then happens....
GHers get their product =)

Next round occurs etc.

I don't know just brainstorming lol

I think that's a good idea.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:21:45 »
What's the end goal of all this?

I mean do we really need more 60% cases?

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:22:49 »

I'm thinking BIG things for some reason LOL

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:23:37 »

Do you mean do we need more designs or more physical cases.

I'd say both, even though I don't even have a 60% board.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:28:52 »

I mean the 60% case market seems pretty saturated.

Maybe some 40% and/or 75% stuff would be interesting.

Or some number pad cases.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:29:27 »

I mean the 60% case market seems pretty saturated.

Maybe some 40% and/or 75% stuff would be interesting.

Or some number pad cases.

Good point.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:35:44 »
I'm thinking the end-goal here is to develop a range of custom keyboard designs that has been developed by the community for the community. A line of excellence in custom mechanical keyboards that can provide a true "enthusiast" level of quality.

I'm thinking along the lines of....

THE "geekhack" TKL... we can name it the GH-80 and have different skus for colour like GH-80BL for blue, GH-80BK for black, etc.
THE "geekhack" 60%... the GH-60 etc.. as in the case specific for the GH60 pcb etc dunno lol

just throwing it out there lol

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:39:33 »
Well the GH60 was designed to be compatible with all these 60% cases. But whatever people want. I'm just curious.

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:41:15 »
true... I guess I was just being optimistic at creating something that can bear the name of "geekhack" on it =P

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:46:03 »
Why don't your get some tooling to make thick pbt double shot cherry profile keycaps?  :p
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 20:47:11 »
A.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 21:09:14 »
because that would require investing about 10 mil in a factory in latin america and then you would need to do about 2-3 mil in business your first year or you would immediately go out of business.

let's keep this realistic, people.