Author Topic: [IC] REBEL - SA keycap set  (Read 209554 times)

Offline y11971alex

• Looking for Toronto meetup
It's a modest 10u.

compensating for something?  :))
Yes indeed, compensating for two missing Alt buttons.  :p
Keyboards owned: IBM Selectric | 3278 | 3101 | 5251 | Model F XT | AT | 122 (6110344) | Model M 1390120 | 1390131 | 1391472 | 1392464 (DisplayWriter SSK) | 1395100 (SSK) | Honeywell RD IBM 09F4230 | Leading Edge DC-2014 (Blue Alps) | Chicony 5891 (Monterey Blue) | E&E-101 (KPT Blue) | BTC 5100 | 5100C | 5369 | DEC VT100 (Hi-tek Linear) | Burroughs TP109 (Hall) | Realforce 87 (55g)

Keyboards wanted: IBM Model F 104 (Unsaver) | Model M 1391401

Offline JDragon

I would like specific novelties for each set which the Y wing would be perfect for its respective set.  Whether this happens is probably pretty unlikely although not impossible.  I have yet to hear a peep from MD as of yet regarding the current set even.

Having each starfighter set have its own "outline" novelty would look great imo. Maybe have the X-Wing outline be orange, A-Wing green, etc. to give it a bit more pop?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Speaking from experience, have you checked with SP if they can do the sharp corners in some of the Aurebesh legends. With double-shot legends, you can't get perfect corners.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
Speaking from experience, have you checked with SP if they can do the sharp corners in some of the Aurebesh legends. With double-shot legends, you can't get perfect corners.

I sent the file in to Melissa a few months ago for a quote and nothing was ever said about it.  I'll double check with her to make sure everything is good when I go over novelties with her.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Yeah, when designing keys fro the Galaxy Set, we faced the same issue and thus had to opt for PBT dyesub, just wanted to let you know before you put even more effort into what looks like an amazing set.

Offline entr0py33

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 January 2021, 11:47:36 by entr0py33 »

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
Have you considered including non-homing versions of the "F" and "J" aurebesh legends in either the aurebesh alpha or the homing kit?  I think some people prefer to have a uniform feel throughout, and if this set ends up being made in DSA or R3 SA, then it'd be easy to swap around the keys without messing up the correspondence of the legends.

Yes, they are supposed to be there I just forgot to add them back to the kit.

Have you considered splitting the modifier kit into a 60% kit and a "TKL" kit (F row + arrow keys + navigation modifiers)?  I know a lot of people are partial to the 60% layout, so this would help them get into this set without having to add a bunch keys that they'd never end up using.

With having 2 color options for modifiers, I feel that it would be a little more overwhelming than it may already be.  I may revisit this idea and see what I can come up with though.  I can certainly see the appeal as 60% are quite popular.

From what I've found looking online about the Aurebesh alphabet, there are some legends that correspond to punctuation (http://www.omniglot.com/images/writing/aurekbesh.gif).  Have you tried replacing the standard english punctuation legends with these, or is it more confusing if that is done?  Alternatively, there are the legends from this font (http://boards.theforce.net/threads/new-aurebesh-font.50009464/), which deviate slightly from the original, but look more in line with standard english punctuation.

I am aware that there is punctuation but the thing with that is that it adds another $50 per custom legend.  That is the reason I chose to go with single centered punctuation.  It will keep the cost down and still give it a unique look over the standard alpha kit.  If there were to ever be any subsequent rounds of this set, I will gladly revisit this idea as well since the Aurebesh alpha molds will have already been done.

Offline entr0py33

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 January 2021, 11:45:35 by entr0py33 »

Offline deeoh

I am aware that there is punctuation but the thing with that is that it adds another $50 per custom legend.  That is the reason I chose to go with single centered punctuation.  It will keep the cost down and still give it a unique look over the standard alpha kit.  If there were to ever be any subsequent rounds of this set, I will gladly revisit this idea as well since the Aurebesh alpha molds will have already been done.

Aw man, I liked how the custom square brackets looked before. I'm more than willing to pay more for the custom punctuation. Can you spot the software engineer?

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards

Aw man, I liked how the custom square brackets looked before. I'm more than willing to pay more for the custom punctuation. Can you spot the software engineer?

I'll get some quotes to see what the price difference there would be.

Also, passed 600 votes on MD!

Offline Dadrophenia

Any ETA on this going on MD? Amazing set by the way.

Offline Niomosy

Dasher/Dancer was listed as late 2016 by MD and zslane put that request in a while back.  Guessing this one will be a bit as MD seem to want each big cap set to run separately.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
The Filco set seems to be an ongoing thing for SP/PMK. I'm guessing that they run specialty sets in between Filco set runs. I've seen the Filco doubleshot stock replenish a few times on Keyboardco. But what's really happening could be completely different AFAIK

Offline tacnificent

Judging from rd2 Jukebox on an indication of timeframe, that IC was in April 2015. Order deadline just finished for that drop and won't ship out until earliest Nov 2016.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
Judging from rd2 Jukebox on an indication of timeframe, that IC was in April 2015. Order deadline just finished for that drop and won't ship out until earliest Nov 2016.

I think LSB just used the same IC thread as the first round. 

Offline ninjanano

AUREBESH ALPHAS should have more keycaps for ISO?

Offline deeoh

I'll get some quotes to see what the price difference there would be.

Also, passed 600 votes on MD!

Cool! And of course it all depends on what everyone is willing to spend on these, just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Offline gutsack

Registering interest.

Offline Phenix

neat set!
Winter is coming.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
Well.. spoke with Yanbo sometime last week and it looks like this wont be dropping this year unless something comes up.  I'm still not sure if there is even a guarantee that MD wants to even drop this, but I guess it will be a waiting game.  Unless another vendor wants to help out but realistically MD is the best option I feel for this set.

I have some changes I've slowly been making that I'll update soon.  Also working on a few other things that I've talked a bit with another vendor but that is very early yet so we'll see where that goes as well.

Thanks for the support from everyone.  Nearly 700 votes on MD.. I honestly was stoked just to see it make it over the 200.

Offline wongie

That's a damn shame. I would have given a leg for this to be released in time for Rogue One.

As you say it'll be a waiting game and with 700 votes on MD you'll definitely have the support for it however long it takes.

Offline Niomosy

Well.. spoke with Yanbo sometime last week and it looks like this wont be dropping this year unless something comes up.  I'm still not sure if there is even a guarantee that MD wants to even drop this, but I guess it will be a waiting game.  Unless another vendor wants to help out but realistically MD is the best option I feel for this set.

I have some changes I've slowly been making that I'll update soon.  Also working on a few other things that I've talked a bit with another vendor but that is very early yet so we'll see where that goes as well.

Thanks for the support from everyone.  Nearly 700 votes on MD.. I honestly was stoked just to see it make it over the 200.

Unfortunately, for those keeping an eye on the Dasher/Dancer thread, the noted time frame isn't a surprise.  I believe zslane had coordinated things a good month or two ago and was looking at late 2016 for a launch. 

It sounds like MD wants to run it if you've got info from them but they've likely got a big back log of sets to get through and want to avoid problems of having too many keycap buys going at the same time.  There's a DSA set up right now and likely several that are already have estimated time slots.  That and they seem to be spacing the buys out a little bit, possible to help wallets recover for the next round.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
Well.. spoke with Yanbo sometime last week and it looks like this wont be dropping this year unless something comes up.

For me, this is good news, I wouldn't have the budget this year - but the next...!

Offline Niomosy

Well.. spoke with Yanbo sometime last week and it looks like this wont be dropping this year unless something comes up.

For me, this is good news, I wouldn't have the budget this year - but the next...!

Yeah it's not all bad, really.  I've got the money but wouldn't mind being able to spend some more elsewhere for the time being. 

Offline JDragon

Is the backlog due to MD or to the popularity of SA sets in general?

Offline Niomosy

Is the backlog due to MD or to the popularity of SA sets in general?

MD is the greater backlog from what's been mentioned in the Dasher/Dancer thread.  MD is balancing buys that include more than just SP sets and seems to be trying to keep the premiere sets (SP and GMK predominantly) spaced apart from each other to avoid these sets eating into each others sales.  Or at least that's what I'm getting from what's being done right now.

Offline wongie

I'm fairly new to all this MD stuff about SP backlogs and all that, but would not doing the set in an alternate key profile like DSA not be an option?

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
I'm fairly new to all this MD stuff about SP backlogs and all that, but would not doing the set in an alternate key profile like DSA not be an option?

MD is booked for the year regardless of profile.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards

Yeah it's not all bad, really.  I've got the money but wouldn't mind being able to spend some more elsewhere for the time being.

I'm fine with it too, honestly.  I really just want either a yes or no from MD, regardless of the time frame.  That would help me a lot lol.

Offline Niomosy

I'm fine with it too, honestly.  I really just want either a yes or no from MD, regardless of the time frame.  That would help me a lot lol.

Agreed.  It's the unknown that sucks in these types of situations more than anything.  The wait isn't a huge problem so long as we've got a decent idea of when the buy will launch even if it isn't an exact date.

Offline Phenix

so those are all R3?
Does this mean that I can do e.g. Colemak or Dvorak without any problems (because anything is same profile)?
Winter is coming.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
so those are all R3?
Does this mean that I can do e.g. Colemak or Dvorak without any problems (because anything is same profile)?

Yes indeed.

In other news, still no news.   :(

Offline Parzival

Yes please give me this

Offline Niomosy

so those are all R3?

Yes indeed.

With the popularity of SP and SA, specifically, it's not too surprising.  It is frustrating though.  At least it gives everyone ample time to set their wallets up for this.

Offline Geckt

so those are all R3?

Yes indeed.

With the popularity of SP and SA, specifically, it's not too surprising.  It is frustrating though.  At least it gives everyone ample time to set their wallets up for this.

Very true, wouldn't hurt to wait a little longer for this set to drop. Definitely don't want to miss this out after losing out on IMSTO'S Aurebesh.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
so those are all R3?
Yes indeed.

Aww. Sadly, there goes my interest, then. Didn't look at the renders good enough, I guess, I have not noticed it's all R3. Oh well, wallet saved, at least!

(Still a beatiful set, but same row-profile across the board just doesn't work for me)

Offline Phenix

I never had an SA set, so I will just check it out (as long as prices arent astronomical)
Winter is coming.

Offline Geckt

I never had an SA set, so I will just check it out (as long as prices arent astronomical)
If you ever tried DSA before this is basically the "tall" version as it's uniform R3.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
Re: [IC] REBEL - SA keycap set [Massdrop poll & render are up!] *Updated 5/25
« Reply #338 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 18:57:43 »
If you ever tried DSA before this is basically the "tall" version as it's uniform R3.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Uniform R3 still isn't 100%.  I'd personally like that at least for a first run because of all the options there already is.  Sculpted just means I'll need to add even more.

Also, OP was updated a bit.  Nothing huge, just some small changes.

Offline Niomosy

Re: [IC] REBEL - SA keycap set *Updated 8/02*
« Reply #339 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 00:57:44 »
I've yet to try R3 SA though am typing on sculptured SA right now.  I'll say that I like sculptured SA though I could see giving R3 a try. 

The one limitation I see with R3 is that you'd only be able to mix/match with other R3 sets.  The importance of that will vary from person to person, though.

Offline Vigrith

Re: [IC] REBEL - SA keycap set [Massdrop poll & render are up!] *Updated 5/25
« Reply #340 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 09:52:25 »

I love the set, here's hoping Massdrop manage to squeeze it in early next year, I'll for sure buy it as soon as it goes up!

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #341 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 16:16:38 »

I love the set, here's hoping Massdrop manage to squeeze it in early next year, I'll for sure buy it as soon as it goes up!

Dasher/Dancer was submitted to MD in March.  It's a maybe for this year at best.  I'm wondering how far out this one will end up.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #342 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 18:20:16 »
NOVELTIES: [Updated 05.25.16]

Show Image

I think it would have been better with a solid V and a open ring. Then you could fill that ring with red or yellow as you'd like.

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #343 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 18:38:41 »
NOVELTIES: [Updated 05.25.16]

Show Image

I think it would have been better with a solid V and a open ring. Then you could fill that ring with red or yellow as you'd like.

My original concept for those particular novelties:

I may revert back, I'm not sure yet.  The novelties are always a work in progress.  Trying to capture the theme while staying away from any copyright issues is a struggle.

I'm always open to suggestions of course, so if anyone has any, let them be known!

Offline Vlie

« Reply #344 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 08:05:15 »
i hope it come soon

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #345 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 05:05:46 »
i hope it come soon

If 2017 is soon to you, then yes.  :p

While I'm here:
Sculpted with white mods?
Uniform R3 with both mod options?

I'll get a legit poll up sometime.

Offline wongie

« Reply #346 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 15:15:34 »

While I'm here:

In the grand scheme of things 2017 isn't actually that far off.

As for your mini survey, I'm definitely choosing uniform R3 with white mods considering all my boards are 65% so I need uniform keys for my right hand mods.

Offline anorphirith

Re: [IC] REBEL - SA keycap set [Coming in 2017]
« Reply #347 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 00:19:49 »
I want

Offline sinetwo

« Reply #348 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 07:30:05 »
Looks pretty sexy! would be up for this with a UK ISO set!

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #349 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 12:48:34 »

While I'm here:

In the grand scheme of things 2017 isn't actually that far off.

As for your mini survey, I'm definitely choosing uniform R3 with white mods considering all my boards are 65% so I need uniform keys for my right hand mods.

I think at the rate we're going, 2017 is when it would drop on MassDrop.  That would put production in late or very late 2017, potentially 2018 depending.  The SA train doesn't seem to be slowing as people still keep coming up with new sets and have started looking at vendors other than MassDrop as MD seems to be chock full of cap sets to run and tries to keep them separate from each other.

Still, this set will be sure to please once it's in hands.  Great combination of colors.