Author Topic: AcidFire's modular keyboard system - Axios [In Development]  (Read 664565 times)

Offline clickclack123

Re: AcidFire's modular keyboard system - Nexus [In Development]
« Reply #1000 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 22:38:04 »
I'm curious, what controllers do the rgb leds that you're using have?
I'm currently using standard LEDs that are connected to NXP PCA9685 12-bit 16 Channel i2c LED controllers. These allow the LEDs to produce 4096 color per channel, instead of 256, or 68,719,476,736 colors as opposed to 16,777,216 (8-bit.)

For the single color backlights, the LEDs are connected to NXP PCA9674 8 Channel & PCA9675 16 Channel 8-bit i2c LED controllers.

Both of these chips have a couple of distinct advantages, chief among them being an internal PWM clock, meaning they don't need to be constantly updated like the TLC5940. Basically that means they're set & forget, which is very processor friendly.

Nice. The reason that I asked is because I've been playing around with WS2811 leds and they use the same kind of system, and I was thinking how easy it would be to use these for keyboard backlighting, if only you could physically fit them in, that is! It's so tricky that they can do all that with only a single data line. Technology is getting so amazing these days.

I'm currently looking at three accessories/addons that sit at the thumbs.

1) Scroll Wheels - The code/electronics for this are actually quite simple, mechanically however it's a bit more of a pain as the wheels need to be sourced, mounting worked out, etc which all needs to be set up within an enclosure that would allow an end user to add it to their set up.

2) Jog Wheels - A horizontal version of the scroll wheels with a high precision, the problem mostly comes with how much space a wheel needs. I do however see this + the RGB backlight being quite useful to editors.

3) Mouse/Trackball/Trackpoint - This is the most requested option that currently isn't being included in the base project, mainly due to cost & sourcing (mouse actions will be supported in software however.) I think this may also provide a viable alternative to the scroll wheel, since it should be possible to map the mouse to the scroll functions.

As for KISSASS, this is something that has been guiding the project from the start. The only major revisions/feature changes that have been made are those core to the functionality of the project. I have a long list of additions and features that can be added due to the open nature of the firmware & modularity of the hardware.

DROOL!! I like the tactile feedback of a physical scrollwheel personally. I hate using the trackpad on a laptop, even if it has the scroll controller down the side. I would buy one if it was the only option though, of course.  :)

I've also nearly completed the new versions of the PCBs, including the seperate control PCBs for the keys & backlight. This also includes the new thumb clusters which can be customized in a number of different configurations. This does present a problem with doing RGB backlight plates unfortunately, so most likely the plates that will be released will be voted on which layouts to do first.

As I mentioned previously I've managed to reduce the cost of the RGB addon significantly, and am currently in the design stage of the PCB layout for these boards. While they most likely won't go in with the next batch of board designs, I intend to get them in within the next 30 days so that they can be made a part of the kickstarter campaign.

A cool thing would be if the backlight pattern/animation could change according to which layout is selected, but I'm sure that you've already thought of this.

Awesome! Great work. Thanks for keeping us posted. I'll need to buy a new F5 key soon, the way I've been refreshing this thread.

Excellent stuff, I hope people are helping you with the ARM programming. I would if I could but I'm pretty new to mucking around with Arduino, and my Teensy v3.1 is still in the mail!

Offline yakitysax

« Reply #1001 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 05:15:18 »
Excellent stuff, I hope people are helping you with the ARM programming. I would if I could but I'm pretty new to mucking around with Arduino, and my Teensy v3.1 is still in the mail!
I have a sneaking suspicion that the prevalence of ARM in embedded projects, especially hobby projects is going to lead to more people knowing the ARM instruction set than Power or Intel in the future, plus IDA Pro works with it now, which is awesome.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #1002 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 23:20:26 »
I know a number of you are anxious to help me beta test and we're definitely close to that mark. As previously mentioned, testers will only be paying for the cost of materials for their kits. While most of what would be included should be considered production ready parts, the final case will not be, partially since the final design will be based on their feedback. Instead, 3D printed and hand finished (sanded) cases will be sent for testing, with the final case being made available when ready at cost.

Is the 70% still on track? Or did it get put on the back burner? (I'd go back and read, but holy hell this thread gets a lot of updates).

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #1003 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 08:11:01 »
I know a number of you are anxious to help me beta test and we're definitely close to that mark. As previously mentioned, testers will only be paying for the cost of materials for their kits. While most of what would be included should be considered production ready parts, the final case will not be, partially since the final design will be based on their feedback. Instead, 3D printed and hand finished (sanded) cases will be sent for testing, with the final case being made available when ready at cost.

Is the 70% still on track? Or did it get put on the back burner? (I'd go back and read, but holy hell this thread gets a lot of updates).

The 70% is just another configuration for the main board if I recall correctly, not much more than a different case and a couple different connectors on the inside.

Offline AcidFire

• Axios - The Open Source Modular Ergonomic Keyboard
« Reply #1004 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 02:00:13 »

The 70% is just another configuration for the main board if I recall correctly, not much more than a different case and a couple different connectors on the inside.

Exactly this. I'm currently working on the version of the main clusters that would allow them to connect to a board in the middle without needing another controller. While there is still a bit more routing that needs to be done, I thought I'd share my current progress:

I'm sure a few of you will be excited to see that I've included (and completed) the add on that would allow for an extra row of function keys, including the LED backlight. To the left of that is the new LED Indicator module. I'm currently toying with the idea of making it reversible, hence the through hole pad for the LEDs. I'm not sure if that will pan out yet, it'll all depend on whether the components end up in the way and whether SMD RGB LEDs end up being cheap enough in both purchase and assembly to warrant having two seperate boards. Currently, the pricing is looking at around 20-30.00 for the F keys module (less without the switches) & roughly 15.00 for the indicator modules (pair.)

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #1005 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 05:45:26 »
Great work AcidFire. I am so keen for this keyboard!

Offline smferris

« Reply #1006 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 12:56:17 »

I'm sure a few of you will be excited to see that I've included (and completed) the add on that would allow for an extra row of function keys, including the LED backlight. To the left of that is the new LED Indicator module. I'm currently toying with the idea of making it reversible, hence the through hole pad for the LEDs. I'm not sure if that will pan out yet, it'll all depend on whether the components end up in the way and whether SMD RGB LEDs end up being cheap enough in both purchase and assembly to warrant having two seperate boards. Currently, the pricing is looking at around 20-30.00 for the F keys module (less without the switches) & roughly 15.00 for the indicator modules (pair.)

It's great to see function keys come back.  I would have missed them.

Any chance you could add another column of keys for the index fingers?  I'd like to get as many useful keys as I can near the thumbs and index fingers, since they're the strongest.  I was sad to see the innermost column reduced to three keys in order to make more room for the thumb cluster, though having useful thumb keys is more important than index finger keys.  Still, another column of index finger keys would really help make up for the loss.  I need lots of modifier keys for emacs, preferably enough so that each hand has Shift, Control, Meta, Alt, Super, Hyper, and Command, all in reasonable locations for the thumbs or index fingers, along with all the common punctuation chars like tab, return, backspace, etc.  My thumb clusters are looking to be pretty crowded, and index finger keys are the next best choice, and where I'll probably end up putting Tab, Return, and so on if I can get enough index finger keys for them.  I'd like to completely stop using my pinkies for modifier keys, which most keyboards force me to do.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1007 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 14:09:11 »
It's great to see function keys come back.  I would have missed them.

Any chance you could add another column of keys for the index fingers?  I'd like to get as many useful keys as I can near the thumbs and index fingers, since they're the strongest.  I was sad to see the innermost column reduced to three keys in order to make more room for the thumb cluster, though having useful thumb keys is more important than index finger keys.  Still, another column of index finger keys would really help make up for the loss.  I need lots of modifier keys for emacs, preferably enough so that each hand has Shift, Control, Meta, Alt, Super, Hyper, and Command, all in reasonable locations for the thumbs or index fingers, along with all the common punctuation chars like tab, return, backspace, etc.  My thumb clusters are looking to be pretty crowded, and index finger keys are the next best choice, and where I'll probably end up putting Tab, Return, and so on if I can get enough index finger keys for them.  I'd like to completely stop using my pinkies for modifier keys, which most keyboards force me to do.

There's still a column available since the controller can now handle an 8x8 array, so its possible. The only potential problem I see is in the ergo 70% having to be set a bit wider. But I will agree with you on the pinkies, I find it can be rather awkward & painful to constantly use them for modifiers. Also, since there will already be connectors on that side for keys for the 70% designs, it's entirely possible to add a set of keys, just like the F keys. The only issue comes with the housing, since the design is going injection molded, it's a fair amount of space to leave open for those keys. In saying that, it may not end up being much bigger than the current acrylic designs, since they've already got a roughly 6-7mm border from the keys. I'll have to do some test plates to work it out.

Offline Dynamo

« Reply #1008 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 22:04:32 »
The more keys the better.  :thumb:

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1009 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 02:05:03 »
Thought I'd throw out a quick update. I received the samples for the 3.5mm TRRS jack, microSD slot, micro & mini USB and a number of the 2mm connectors. I still need a few more samples, which I've ordered today, but I'm nearly done sourcing all the required parts. The other good news is that I've managed to source enough of the 3.5mm TRRS jack (the only part I had trouble sourcing in quantity) to build the batch of beta units, as well as a couple of development units for myself and whoever I can get to assist me with the firmware.

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #1010 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 04:46:27 »
Excellent stuff AcidFire!

I have a question, will the longer keys have stabilizers?

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #1011 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 16:28:16 »
AcidFire,

I know you've been working your butt off on many technical aspects, but could you throw some keyboard p0rn our way so we can see what your latest design is, in terms of ergonomics?

I remember seeing a post earlier of your S.O. buying you an amazing photo setup - perhaps you can throw a snapshot or two of your latest renditions our way?

TIA!
⌨White Blank HHKB P2 ⌨Filco TKL SA MXRed
Interests: ⌨AcidFire's Board ⌨Kinesis Advantage LF

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1012 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 12:39:06 »
AcidFire,
I know you've been working your butt off on many technical aspects, but could you throw some keyboard p0rn our way so we can see what your latest design is, in terms of ergonomics?

I remember seeing a post earlier of your S.O. buying you an amazing photo setup - perhaps you can throw a snapshot or two of your latest renditions our way?

TIA!
I wish I could! The latest revision is in various stages of design, from the completion of the new PCBs to the case which I've had several offers of help with, there isn't much to see at this point. I will however be cutting some new test plates tonight to show how the modularity with the f-keys and the extra column will work, but that won't be in a full case. I can take pics of that if you like.

Offline PhineasRex

« Reply #1013 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 19:57:17 »
I check this thread every day hoping for more pictures of this amazing project.

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #1014 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 21:53:01 »
I check this thread every day hoping for more pictures of this amazing project.

My life's been a little easier now I turned email notify on. Now I just check my email obsessively...  ^-^

Offline yakitysax

« Reply #1015 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 05:43:40 »

Exactly this. I'm currently working on the version of the main clusters that would allow them to connect to a board in the middle without needing another controller. While there is still a bit more routing that needs to be done, I thought I'd share my current progress:
Show Image

What is the use of a SD slot on a keyboard?

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #1016 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 16:50:36 »

* 1x PCA9670 - This additional expander will act as a set of configurable dip switches (using shunts to stay cheap), telling the main CPU unit what kind of set up it is, whether it has a backlight, etc. I'm also considering using it purely as an address system, potentially setting aside a block of addresses, with the remaining open to custom user set up. A config file on the microSD card would instruct the CPU unit on how to handle each device.

Keylogger.  ;)  j/k

Config files.

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #1017 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 14:08:03 »
Quick question about keycaps for the present version of this board.

If I were to order an ergodox-compatible set of spherical doubleshots from 7-bit's Round 5, would it be sufficient to fit onto the current version of this board?

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1018 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 14:13:43 »

* 1x PCA9670 - This additional expander will act as a set of configurable dip switches (using shunts to stay cheap), telling the main CPU unit what kind of set up it is, whether it has a backlight, etc. I'm also considering using it purely as an address system, potentially setting aside a block of addresses, with the remaining open to custom user set up. A config file on the microSD card would instruct the CPU unit on how to handle each device.

Keylogger.  ;)  j/k

Config files.

Also, in looking at what flash memory would cost, and what kind of space & requirements the board needs to support the BGA sized module that would fit, SD made far more sense. It's simplier to interface, there is more documentation & support for them available in the modding community, and it allows for a simple user upgrade/replacement.

As for why at all vs building it into the firmware, it comes down to accessibility & ensuring a simpler operation for the end users. While the Cortex M0 I've chosen does support live rewriting of the firmware, you can run into a huge problem if a cable gets pulled or something else happens while you're updating the firmware each time you edit your layout (which can be often if your trying to find the right scheme.) Even if there's a problem with your memory card, not only is it user servicable, but it is also something you can find in just about any electronics store at this point.

Quick question about keycaps for the present version of this board.

If I were to order an ergodox-compatible set of spherical doubleshots from 7-bit's Round 5, would it be sufficient to fit onto the current version of this board?

It should. The spacing is identical to the ergodox, the only difference has been the shift in the columns. I'm currently using off the shelf keycaps from Signature Plastics in all my testing. The only thing of note is that my board has a few more keys than an ergodox, so you might want to keep that in mind when you order.

Offline anotherjunkie

anotherjunkie
« Reply #1019 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 14:25:22 »
Really excited to read through all the progress, and that we're going to be able to edit layouts on SD instead of firmware. I somehow missed that decision previously... While being able to make edits to the layout "on the keyboard" is a huge thing for me, frequently playing with the firmware itself has always made me hesitant.

Can't wait to get my hands on one. I almost caved on a 'dox before Christmas, but one look back here had me set straight.

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #1020 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 17:27:49 »
It should. The spacing is identical to the ergodox, the only difference has been the shift in the columns. I'm currently using off the shelf keycaps from Signature Plastics in all my testing. The only thing of note is that my board has a few more keys than an ergodox, so you might want to keep that in mind when you order.

For a standard ergodox set as a reference, (76 keys total or 38 keys a side):

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Round_5#HONEY.2FERGO.2FRED.2FWHITE_.28ErgoDox_red_white_kit_.7C_.2455.29

What would be the sizes/labels/positions on the extra keys?

It would be great to prepare a full set of quality keycaps for the board - adds to the anticipation!

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1021 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 14:37:10 »
For a standard ergodox set as a reference, (76 keys total or 38 keys a side):

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Round_5#HONEY.2FERGO.2FRED.2FWHITE_.28ErgoDox_red_white_kit_.7C_.2455.29

What would be the sizes/labels/positions on the extra keys?

It would be great to prepare a full set of quality keycaps for the board - adds to the anticipation!

Currently, the layout includes:

Split:
 - 6x 2u keys
 - 10x 1.5u keys
 - 66x 1u keys
Total: 82 keys

Ergo & Straight:
 - 16x 1.5u keys
 - 62x 1u keys
Total: 78 keys

However, more keys are available via the addon modules, so that needs to be kept in mind.

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #1022 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 15:01:53 »

Currently, the layout includes:

Split:
 - 6x 2u keys
 - 10x 1.5u keys
 - 66x 1u keys
Total: 82 keys

Ergo & Straight:
 - 16x 1.5u keys
 - 62x 1u keys
Total: 78 keys

However, more keys are available via the addon modules, so that needs to be kept in mind.

Thank you.  For reference the standard sets above includes 76 keys:
4 x 2u
12 x 1.5u
60 x 1u

so that means the following are missing/needed for split:
2 x 2u
6 x 1u

and for ergo:
4 x 1.5u
2 x 1u
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 January 2014, 15:09:01 by kfmfe04 »

Offline kfmfe04

« Reply #1023 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 16:23:23 »
Slightly OT, but for those of you also interested in Round 5, this is what I ordered for AcidFire's split configuration (white/red, white/black, black/red, all black possible sets):

HONEY/ERGO/RED/WHITE 1
HONEY/ERGO/BLACK 1
HONEY/MUIRIUM/BLANK 1
BLANK/R3U100D/WHITE 2
BLANK/R3U100D/BLACK 2
BLANK/R3U100D/RED 2
BLANK/R3U200/BLACK 2
BLANK/R3U200/RED 2

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Round_5

All keys are blank and I've ordered pairs of deep-dish WHITE BLACK RED for the F/J key positions (I LOVE deep-dish SPH!).
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 January 2014, 16:28:20 by kfmfe04 »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #1024 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 10:45:11 »
This thread needs to be stickied.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #1025 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 11:03:18 »
It get so many posts, and it's so awesome, it should.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1026 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 12:03:37 »
So some interesting news this morning. A friend of mine who is sponsoring the Seattle Mini Maker Faire has offered me space in his rather large booth to show off a couple of working prototypes. The goal is to have everything done by March 17th so that I have time to have everything shipped down ahead of me. That leaves me with 47 days to finish the electronics, get the firmware running, and get a case designed and 3D printed. Thankfully, I should have help with all these things, so those of you in the Seattle area should come down to the Seattle Mini Maker Faire on the weekend of March 22nd and see all my hard work :D

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #1027 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 12:30:14 »
So some interesting news this morning. A friend of mine who is sponsoring the Seattle Mini Maker Faire has offered me space in his rather large booth to show off a couple of working prototypes. The goal is to have everything done by March 17th so that I have time to have everything shipped down ahead of me. That leaves me with 47 days to finish the electronics, get the firmware running, and get a case designed and 3D printed. Thankfully, I should have help with all these things, so those of you in the Seattle area should come down to the Seattle Mini Maker Faire on the weekend of March 22nd and see all my hard work :D

Excellent news and congratulations!

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #1028 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 17:57:51 »

Great news! Might be a bit far for me to attend (13000km!), but I hope somebody will attend and put lots of good pictures up!!

Offline Legorandir

« Reply #1029 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 23:55:29 »
Hey!
AcidFire regarding pointing devises I found out about these:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9320
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10835

When I was lurking trough Input Nirvanas signature kinesis thread and assorted cross-linked treads.

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #1030 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 05:16:23 »
Hey!

When I was lurking trough Input Nirvanas signature kinesis thread and assorted cross-linked treads.

That blackberry trackball thing looks good, pity it's out of stock.

Edit: actually doing a google search for "blackberry trackballer" came up with some places that have it in stock. Interesting.

Edit2: after reading some reviews on the quality of the blackberry trackball, I'm now less enthusiastic about this controller.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 January 2014, 05:31:06 by clickclack123 »

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #1031 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 07:12:26 »
The maker faire sounds like a good break.  Hope it works out. 

Don't forget that it doesn't have to be finished to your very high standards in order to show off the product...
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1032 on: Fri, 31 January 2014, 19:47:16 »
Hey!

That blackberry trackball thing looks good, pity it's out of stock.

Edit: actually doing a google search for "blackberry trackballer" came up with some places that have it in stock. Interesting.

Edit2: after reading some reviews on the quality of the blackberry trackball, I'm now less enthusiastic about this controller.
I've actually got both sitting on my desk, and I haven't really enjoyed either of them tbh. I'm lucky because through the company I work for I can get these sorts of things below retail, which has let me try a couple of different options without breaking the bank. I'm still hard pressed to find a solution I enjoy more than the nub mouse.

The maker faire sounds like a good break.  Hope it works out. 

Don't forget that it doesn't have to be finished to your very high standards in order to show off the product...
This is something I've been reminding myself of. My current target is to get the electronics and the case done, since writing firmware isn't going to do much good if it isn't providing the comfort and strain relief that are the core goals of this project. If I can get it done as well, all the better.

Offline sordna

« Reply #1033 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 04:33:27 »
By nub mouse you mean trackpoint? We have hope to get it? ???
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline tups

« Reply #1034 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 06:58:47 »
I'd be more interested in something like clicky scroll wheels to use as left/right and up/down arrow keys. Never liked trackpoint mice much.

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #1035 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 08:51:01 »
I'd be more interested in something like clicky scroll wheels to use as left/right and up/down arrow keys. Never liked trackpoint mice much.

I've also never been that impressed with using trackpoints myself but after reading the comments at http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/05/touchpad-vs-trackpoint.html comparing touchpads and trackpoints, it sounds to me like people who give the trackpoint a bit of time to get used to end up liking them better. There wasn't much mention of trackballs there though.

I personally hate touchpads. Too much lifting of your finger to get across the whole screen, then if you turn the speed up, they're not accurate enough.

The article could be dated as it is from 2006, although the comments go up until 2011.

Offline yakitysax

« Reply #1036 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 01:21:29 »

I've also never been that impressed with using trackpoints myself but after reading the comments at http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/05/touchpad-vs-trackpoint.html comparing touchpads and trackpoints, it sounds to me like people who give the trackpoint a bit of time to get used to end up liking them better. There wasn't much mention of trackballs there though.

I personally hate touchpads. Too much lifting of your finger to get across the whole screen, then if you turn the speed up, they're not accurate enough.

The article could be dated as it is from 2006, although the comments go up until 2011.
I prefer trackpoints still, but the older trackpads were a lot less useful than the multi-touch ones made by Apple or Logitech, which are the only decent ones made and worth mentioning IMO. I prefer trackballs to either, but they are not easily implemented in a keyboard regrettably.

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #1037 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 04:32:20 »
I prefer trackpoints still, but the older trackpads were a lot less useful than the multi-touch ones made by Apple or Logitech, which are the only decent ones made and worth mentioning IMO. I prefer trackballs to either, but they are not easily implemented in a keyboard regrettably.

A small trackball could be implemented in a keyboard, like the smaller ones in wireless media keyboards. I had one that was ok, but you still had to move your hand over to the trackball. What I think would be really cool is one that you could move with your thumb without leaving the home row. That's what I was thinking of with the blackberry trackball, but it sounds like garbage from people's reviews of it. I might look into trackpoints. Not sure how to get it working even if I do get a hold of one, but I'll order one off ebay and give it a go.

53001-0
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 February 2014, 04:34:22 by clickclack123 »

Offline BlueByLiquid

« Reply #1038 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 23:36:12 »
Looks like good progress acidfire! On a related note did you see the rgb corsair demos at CES? Really makes me want to grab this upgrade on your board even more. I am excited that corsair is making them fully addressable and providing an API to write your own code.

As usually let me know when your ready for both the standard and the 70% board rgb upgrade or not. Just got my latest tube amp built so I'm ready to get back to soldering!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #1039 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 13:12:37 »
I would love to have a trackpoint integrated into the 70% model. That would be sex

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #1040 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 11:30:07 »

Either trackpoint or trackball, I'm definitely still looking at making it happen. It may just end up being a stretch goal on the KS ;)

Looks like good progress acidfire! On a related note did you see the rgb corsair demos at CES? Really makes me want to grab this upgrade on your board even more. I am excited that corsair is making them fully addressable and providing an API to write your own code.

As usually let me know when your ready for both the standard and the 70% board rgb upgrade or not. Just got my latest tube amp built so I'm ready to get back to soldering!

I did! It's very frustrating to see that the clear key switches that are designed to fit an RGB LED are exclusive to Corsair, but then again that would mean you'd have to completely replace your setup in a configuration like mine, so I feel a bit better knowing that mine should work quite nicely as an addon for those that want it.

On the development side, I've taken a bit of a step back to ensure that the boards are done and will work 100%, and instead of working from schematics on paper and in my head, I'm building them properly in Altium before designing the new boards. This has been massively beneficial in a couple of ways, including coming across a different way of setting up the controllers that drops $12 cost/$30 retail from the price :D I've also changed the pattern for the key switches a bit, which potentially allows for a surface mount, bottom entry header below the key switch, allowing you to change your LEDs/Diodes without needing a soldering iron  :thumb:.

The only thing I'm currently debating on is the inclusion of the buzzer on the default model. Because of the new change of the controller, there wouldn't be 1 included in a kit there would be 4, one for each controller board. If I source them right now from one of the bigger distributors, they potentially add $9 - $13 to the retail price. Just like the RGB LEDs I was looking at, this is unacceptable, and so I have a couple of quote requests out to chinese suppliers, if the pricing comes back at 0.50 or lower per unit, their inclusion will have a minimal impact on the cost and you'll be able to make your keyboard sing to you :D

Offline BlueByLiquid

« Reply #1041 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 11:44:00 »
Awesome! I love the IDEA of switching out the LEDs without soldering. I don't mind soldering but with keyboards their is so much of it, especially with the LEDs too.

Yeah I didn't like that the Cherry ones would work with any setup and I'm definitely on board for yours! To be honest I am surprised corsair made it addressable. I spoke with one of their higher end reps over a year ago and specifically told them how I had tested surface mount RGB leds and thought they were the way to go but specifically mentioned it HAD to be programmable and addressable because with so many options it has so much potential that would be wasted without an API. Not sure it influenced their decision but at the time he laughed at my suggestion on both the RGB surface mount and making it programmable so I guess I will never know.

Also the audio sounds like a great idea as well but you are right adding it with tons of cost isn't a good solution unless it can be added on separately if a user wants to source them his/her self.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #1042 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 03:07:08 »
As for the buzzer, I've got my Kinesis set up to bleep when a key is activated - it's a fantastic feature and well worth it (well, I think so anyway). 

If you're using them to help the user from bottoming out, then you won't really need a bleep on the modifier keys - I don't know about anyone else, but I def. bottom out on those.  You might be able to cut costs by only having two buzzers.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #1043 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 06:44:48 »
I can't think of anything more annoying than a keyboard with a buzzer on it.  :eek:

My girlfriend would kill me, and I'd want to kill myself!!  :p

Offline sordna

« Reply #1044 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 10:57:23 »
Buzzer is configurable bro, you can turn it off :-) It's actually quieter than having say cherry blues.

Anyway, for me a buzzer on my keyboards is a must, but I'm happy to solder it myself if there's provision for it... I wouldn't want to have to drill holes or hack the firmware as I had to do on the Ergodox. The buzzer I used on my Ergodox is this, I paid $1.95 retail:
http://www.abra-electronics.com/products/COM%252d07950-Buzzer-%252d-PC-Mount-12mm-2.048kHz.html
It's sparkfun model COM-07950, also known as CET12A3.5.  It only needs a brief voltage applied, no waveforms or anything. It buzzes itself, at around 2khz.

Chirping away in my ears as I type this, it's an amazing help to avoid bottoming out on cherry reds. :-)
Click for my ergodox buzzer sound sample. First I type without the buzzer, then with the buzzer on.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 February 2014, 11:01:35 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #1045 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 11:17:39 »
To each their own. Both of those sounds were much louder than I'd want...

Enjoy your buzzing!

Offline BlueByLiquid

« Reply #1046 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 14:54:02 »
The Kinesis sound is much quieter than the browns. I like it

Offline kaltar

« Reply #1047 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 19:17:12 »
The Kinesis sound is much quieter than the browns. I like it

Is not quieter. The keys use a broader spectrum of frequencies, so it gives the impression of being louder. (Additionally, you can type really loud if you have no o-rings)

Offline yakitysax

« Reply #1048 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 20:20:52 »

Either trackpoint or trackball, I'm definitely still looking at making it happen. It may just end up being a stretch goal on the KS ;)

I did! It's very frustrating to see that the clear key switches that are designed to fit an RGB LED are exclusive to Corsair, but then again that would mean you'd have to completely replace your setup in a configuration like mine, so I feel a bit better knowing that mine should work quite nicely as an addon for those that want it.

On the development side, I've taken a bit of a step back to ensure that the boards are done and will work 100%, and instead of working from schematics on paper and in my head, I'm building them properly in Altium before designing the new boards. This has been massively beneficial in a couple of ways, including coming across a different way of setting up the controllers that drops $12 cost/$30 retail from the price :D I've also changed the pattern for the key switches a bit, which potentially allows for a surface mount, bottom entry header below the key switch, allowing you to change your LEDs/Diodes without needing a soldering iron  :thumb:.

The only thing I'm currently debating on is the inclusion of the buzzer on the default model. Because of the new change of the controller, there wouldn't be 1 included in a kit there would be 4, one for each controller board. If I source them right now from one of the bigger distributors, they potentially add $9 - $13 to the retail price. Just like the RGB LEDs I was looking at, this is unacceptable, and so I have a couple of quote requests out to chinese suppliers, if the pricing comes back at 0.50 or lower per unit, their inclusion will have a minimal impact on the cost and you'll be able to make your keyboard sing to you :D
On that trackpoint board that you linked, do you know where one would source the actual joystick part for it similar in size to the IBM/Lenovo ones? I am wanting to put a couple in a custom board I am working on but would prefer to not have to harvest existing keyboards to do so, so that would be grand if I could find it.

Offline yakitysax

« Reply #1049 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 20:26:26 »
Also Acidfire, have you tried out the Kinesis Advantage or another keyboard that uses 1.25x keycaps on the sides instead of 1.5x? 1.25x would shave a marginal amount of size off the keyboard and at least personally between the 1.5x that the Ergodox uses and the 1.25x the Kinesis Advantage uses I do not see much benefit with the marginal increase in size for those keys myself. It is just as easy to accurately place the 1.25x keys for me at least.