Author Topic: [GB] Timber Wolf - Starting to place orders  (Read 67058 times)

Offline Croktopus

[GB] Timber Wolf - Starting to place orders
« on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 11:26:53 »

226644-0          226645-1
proto photos

Design
  • Isolated top mount
  • Plateless
  • 7.5 degree typing angle
  • Centered USB-C
  • Anodized aluminum top and bottom case
  • Small internal brass badge (not a weight)
  • 2.75KG fully built

Layouts
There will be 3 main layouts offered with the Timber Wolf - the TBR-Prime, TBR-A, and TBR-B. These layouts are roughly pictured above (with the TBR-Prime in dark gray, TBR-A in rose gold, and TBR-B in blue), though the actual ones will all have a full column of 5 keys to the left of the 60% zone like you see on the TBR-Prime, as per the results of the IC. The order form will have clear images of this to avoid confusion.

One of the weird features of this keyboard is that you can order a custom layout, changing the physical placement of top case cut-outs, with the PCB designed to allow for some fairly different configurations. I broke down the possibilities by rough regions: Left, Right, and Top.

However, the 60% block also has a bunch of options, illustrated here.

Pricing
  • TBR-Prime: $365
  • TBR-A or TBR-B: $390
  • Custom Layout: $465
  • Extra PCB: $60
  • Extra TBR-Prime Top Case: $150
  • Extra TBR-A or TBR-B Top Case: $175
  • Extra encoder: $5
  • Extra knob: $5

Shipping
I will send out shipping invoices after I've received the items and finalize packaging. Plan is for custom boxes and custom cut foam. Estimates are as follows:
CONUS - $35
Everywhere else - $80-$100
I expect the final prices will be lower, but won't guarantee that. If there is a specific shipping method you would like to opt for, I should be able to accommodate that.

In the Box
  • Timber Wolf bottom case with brass badge
  • Timber Wolf PCB & daughterboard
  • Selected Timber Wolf top case
  • 2 rotary encoders & a brass knob
  • Everything you need to build it

Colors
  • Blue Grey
  • Dark Gray
  • Silver
  • Violet
  • Rose Gold
  • Red

Timeline
GB  opens 9/20 at 8PM PST.
The MOQ is 25, the maximum quantity is 40, FCFS.
GB closes after we hit 40, or after a month, whichever happens first.
People will have 1 week to respond to invoices before they lose their spot.
I’m estimating fulfillment in about 5 months, based on information from my manus, and assumptions that some things will go wrong. Could be less, could be more, but that’s my best guess.

Post-GB
If all goes according to plan, there will be a few extras and/or B-Stock available after the conclusion of the GB. A round 2 is also a definite possibility at some point, depending on how this GB goes, but that'll likely be years away.

After fulfilling the GB, I plan to open-source the PCB and top case design, so that people can design their own custom layouts if they want to.

Disclaimers
I don’t trust my manu to produce quite the colors that I want. Since perfect color matching was nowhere near a focus of this project, and I’m happy with the rest of the work that has been done on my prototypes, I’m not going to be completely starting over with a new factory. However, I’m also not comfortable advertising the color samples that I have received, as I don’t believe the final ones will be in line with them. To give you an idea of the problems I’ve run into, the rose gold was a bit too pink, the blue grey was a bit too blue, and the dark gray was a bit too light gray. That being said, I’m going to try to get the colors as close to my ideal as I can, but if it would break your heart to have suboptimal colors on your Timber Wolf, I would maybe recommend against joining in, or see if maybe there’ll be a B-stock in the layout you want and get it cerakoted.

On a similar note, the most expensive option (custom top case Timber Wolf) is also going to have the worst QA, as I can’t afford to order extras of one-off layouts in order to bin the best products. If I get a piece that’s super damaged, I’ll take the hit and order a replacement, but I highly recommend the TBR-Prime, -A, or -B layouts for best finish quality.

All sales are final, no returns or cancellations.

Switch Compatibility
This is a plateless, MX-only board. That means no Alps switches, no Box switches (unless you somehow get your hands on the custom ones Kailh is making), no Panda switches. Only PCB-mount switches will work on this board (so they need to have the plastic mounting pins), unless you want to spend your night straightening keys.

So, all Zeal switches will work, and I believe there are pcb-mount versions of most Gateron, Kailh, and Cherry switches (with the obvious exception again of Kailh Box, and I’ve also noticed that Kailh Creams fit a bit loose so I’d be wary of those). Most PCB-mount Gaterons will be a tight fit, including round 1 Inks, but Inks since the color options were introduced are much more comfortable.

FAQ:
2u vertical keys???
First thing’s first, all spots with 2u vertical keys support using 2 1u keys instead.
The reason behind using a numpad enter on a keyboard without a numpad, is that it allows you to hit enter with your mouse hand’s thumb. It’s something that I’ve done all my life, but if you’re confused as to why it’s there, I’d just use 2 1u keys instead.
The reason behind using a + key, is mainly for homing. I think that the delete key should be as close to its original position as possible, rather than having to go up a row with your pinky. However, when I’ve tried to use a delete key in the traditional position, but with another key under it, it just felt uncomfortable, so I tried using a 2u delete and I love it. I’d say it’s worth a try, but again, not forced.

The name?
The Timber Wolf is one of the most popular mechs from the tabletop game, BattleTech. This franchise has been my favorite for most of my life, and this keyboard is kind of a tribute to that mech. One of the identifying features of the Timber Wolf (well, omnimechs in general, but let's not get too deep in the lore) is its ability to quickly swap out loadouts, and the flexibility of its payload. Allowing custom layouts is part of how I've attempted to mimic that, and if you order extra top cases + pcbs, you can quickly change from one layout to another.

226650-2226647-3
Internal engravings. Left: The Timber Wolf's silhouette, engraved on a brass badge, bead blasted and electroplated silver. Right: The variant designation of this particular board, engraved on the inside of the top case, stylized after the old-school BattleTech font.

For updates, join me on yet another keyboard discord to put into a folder. https://discord.gg/d96xf2x

IC

226652-4
from the back
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 October 2019, 04:17:09 by Croktopus »

Offline Croktopus

Re: [GB] Timber Wolf
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 11:41:07 »
reserved

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 00:25:03 »
‘Ere we go!

Offline Nigolski

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 01:05:16 »
Damn that TBR-B is nice
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 September 2019, 01:46:15 by Nigolski »

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

Re: [GB] Timber Wolf, opens 9/20 @ 8PM pacific
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 08:49:23 »
A couple of questions:
-Are there any pantones on the colors?
-Is the encoder just a generic encoder? Not sure if I need to buy extras now.

Everything looks great so far. Can't wait to join.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 September 2019, 09:41:33 by Dissitesuxba11s »

Offline Starius

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 08:56:37 »
edit: never mind, saw my answer. 😁

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 08:57:43 »

the TBR-Prime in dark gray, TBR-A in rose gold, and TBR-B in blue

Offline Starius

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 09:00:25 »

the TBR-Prime in dark gray, TBR-A in rose gold, and TBR-B in blue

Thanks.  Trying to sneak a peak at this on a small mobile device at work isn’t ideal. 😉

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 09:59:58 »
A couple of questions:
-Are there any pantones on the colors?
-Is the encoder just a generic encoder? Not sure if I need to buy extras now.

Everything looks great so far. Can't wait to join.

Current plan is 10251-C for blue grey, 10219-C for violet, 10393-C for dark grey, and 10412-C for rose gold. For red, I'm going with the manu's color sample rather than a specific pantone.

The board will come with 2 encoders, both from the Alps EC11 series, one with detents (clicks as you turn it) and one without, so that you can decide. most people prefer with detents, but i'm a fan of without, for the analogue vibes (though it's worth noting that the encoder without detents is a little bit scratchy)
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 September 2019, 10:06:26 by Croktopus »

Offline EvaoftheIvy

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 11:42:54 »
I'm ready, my wallet not so much.

Offline ywcsam

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 11:48:54 »
How does it feel to type on this keyboard? Since it has no plate and it's top mount, did you feel a lot of vibration while typing on it?

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 12:46:47 »
I'm ready, my wallet not so much.

story of my life

How does it feel to type on this keyboard? Since it has no plate and it's top mount, did you feel a lot of vibration while typing on it?

Some vibration definitely travels through the PCB, so if I lightly touch some keycaps with one hand and mash with my other hand, i can definitely feel it. when typing normally, you have to be paying close attention to notice anything. as far as the case goes, you have to really bang on the keys to feel anything from the aluminum (testing that caused me emotional pain). there's a pretty significant amount of flex, but it lacks a massive flex cut in the middle so it's not insane
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 September 2019, 12:49:00 by Croktopus »

Offline ywcsam

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 13:38:46 »
Roughly how much space is between the PCB and the bottom piece? Just wondering how much materials could be put in there for acoustic adjustment.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 13:46:37 »
Roughly how much space is between the PCB and the bottom piece? Just wondering how much materials could be put in there for acoustic adjustment.

it's a 2.8mm gap

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 20:15:59 »
Oh I'm so excited!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 20:17:15 »
Interesting last name considering your affinity to Battletech!

Anywho, good luck with the GB!

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 20:24:40 »
I  was reviewing the pre-list for order details you linked to.  Is the TBR-B base model different then the prototype?  Just checking because the small thumbnail image shows the TRB-B having the 5 keys on the right and TRB-B option 1 on the right side.

Just want to make sure this is the case because that's exactly what I wanted and if so won't have to order a custom layout then.

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 20:26:59 »
Crap missed the detail - "Layouts
There will be 3 main layouts offered with the Timber Wolf - the TBR-Prime, TBR-A, and TBR-B. These layouts are roughly pictured above (with the TBR-Prime in dark gray, TBR-A in rose gold, and TBR-B in blue), though the actual ones will all have a full column of 5 keys to the left of the 60% zone like you see on the TBR-Prime, as per the results of the IC. The order form will have clear images of this to avoid confusion."

Haha I need to read.

Offline vilagefool

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 20:37:35 »
Oh I'm so excited!

same here! So, there's at least 2 of the 25MOQ :)

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 20:49:25 »
Oh I'm so excited!

That bunny guy---he'll make it 3.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 21:27:31 »
Oh I'm so excited!

That bunny guy---he'll make it 3.

Who is this bunny guy? I don't know who he is but he sounds awesome.

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 22:08:02 »
Looking at the submission form now. It says that 2 rotary encoders would come with a PCB. So if I get an extra PCB would I get a total of 4 encoders?

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 22:10:32 »
Placed an order.  Hope I made it in time.  Working on novelty keycap concepts right now for Prost!  Hope I can put it on a timber wolf some day  ^-^    Here's a sneak peak for anyone interested  https://imgur.com/a/l6mIm7Q

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 22:18:14 »
Submitted mine! Please ignore that one form I submitted way too early hehe
Timber Wolf + Zealios + Sanctuary Rebirth, let's do this!!

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 22:22:22 »

Haha are you me?  That's my plan but likely Zilents.  =)

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 22:26:29 »

Haha are you me?  That's my plan but likely Zilents.  =)

Ah I see you are a man of culture as well! I would've picked Zilents if this was my work board, but I love my tactile switches <3

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 22:34:29 »
Yeah I just need the quiet as the late night computing while wife sleeps makes loud clicks trigger wife agro.  I don’t blame her though.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 22:36:14 »
Looking at the submission form now. It says that 2 rotary encoders would come with a PCB. So if I get an extra PCB would I get a total of 4 encoders?

That's right - the base pcb comes with 2 - one with detents (clicks as you rotate it) and one without. an extra pcb, you get an extra of each

Placed an order.  Hope I made it in time.  Working on novelty keycap concepts right now for Prost!  Hope I can put it on a timber wolf some day  ^-^    Here's a sneak peak for anyone interested  https://imgur.com/a/l6mIm7Q

very nice :) so far we're at 16 orders (not counting false starts)

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 22:37:34 »
very nice :) so far we're at 16 orders (not counting false starts)

Nine to go before I can rest easy!

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 22:40:16 »
That's right - the base pcb comes with 2 - one with detents (clicks as you rotate it) and one without. an extra pcb, you get an extra of each

Thanks for the clarification. Order submitted. I look forward to getting my hands on this baby!

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 22:40:22 »
Wow that’s great.  Didn’t see any advertising on mech market or /mk so kind of surprised and happy i stayed up late.  Must have a few lurkers here. 

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 20 September 2019, 23:10:29 »
Must have a few lurkers here.

them's my peeps

Wow that’s great.  Didn’t see any advertising on mech market or /mk so kind of surprised and happy i stayed up late.  Must have a few lurkers here. 

heh yeah, i'll be posting it around on other sites in a bit

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 06:36:03 »

Nice set! I'd be more interested with (1) a beer stein novelty and (2) the possibility of pbt dye-sub.

Offline Croktopus

Re: [GB] Timber Wolf, GB is live!
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 06:55:05 »

Offline Starius

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 07:12:42 »
Just FYI, I had a hard time finding the order form. I had to do a search for it.   It's very hard to see on lighter themes.

226757-0

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 07:14:02 »
Important announcement:

https://soundcloud.com/dixie-mech/moq

YES
Now let's do the IC for your second keeb :))

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 07:25:51 »
Important announcement:

Haha first time I’ve heard that!  Get hype!

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 07:30:17 »

Nice set! I'd be more interested with (1) a beer stein novelty and (2) the possibility of pbt dye-sub.

Oh I plan to do a couple of beer steins.  I want all beer stein variants for that macro row on the glorious Timber Wolf.  My big hold up is graphic design - I’m using Inkscape and learning as I go.  It makes it harder that I have a toddler, and basic home maint eating up my time.  If I could get someone with experience or buy up pre made beer icon novelties for cheap - it’d go a lot faster.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 07:48:12 »
Just FYI, I had a hard time finding the order form. I had to do a search for it.   It's very hard to see on lighter themes.

(Attachment Link)

hey thanks, i always forget about geekhack light theme lol, changed it to red, hopefully more visible now

Important announcement:

YES

haha, putting it together now. sorry, wanted it up earlier but ive been having trouble finding the perfect colors...

Offline Starius

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 08:16:13 »

(Attachment Link)

hey thanks, i always forget about geekhack light theme lol, changed it to red, hopefully more visible now

That looks a lot better now!  :thumb:

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 08:51:10 »

(Attachment Link)

Important announcement:

YES

haha, putting it together now. sorry, wanted it up earlier but ive been having trouble finding the perfect colors...

My comment was mostly tongue-in-cheek, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited :))

Offline h.parks

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 21:00:10 »
Timber Wolf Pantones:

blue grey

rose gold

dark grey

violet

(red is custom, non-pantone as seen in the banner image and IC)

(per Croktopus's IC post with proto swatches, expect some manufacturer variance here)
Bottom-Mount Alps Dactyl | Ergodox | PLA75 | SA Penumbra | DSA Blanks | GMK First Love

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 01:52:12 »
Any chance I could get just a PCB? I like right-side layouts 6 and 7 but I really can't drop the money for a custom top piece.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 02:43:41 »
(per Croktopus's IC post with proto swatches, expect some manufacturer variance here)

emphasis on this bit. i've spent about as much on color samples as it costs to order an extra proto lol, but i havent found them to be particularly accurate, hence the disclaimer in the GB post

Any chance I could get just a PCB? I like right-side layouts 6 and 7 but I really can't drop the money for a custom top piece.

i dont want to sell stuff outside of the main orders as the extra work could slow down GB orders, but after the GB ends i should have plenty of extra PCBs, so definitely get in touch then :)

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 13:05:16 »
We're currently at 37 units ordered, or 39 if the two remaining people who filled it out before the group buy start time respond to my email. Looks like we might not have to wait a month to get started after all!

Thanks everyone <3

Offline kaziolas

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 13:48:15 »
What a shame it has a bad layout, otherwise it would be great

Offline h.parks

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 15:21:34 »
(duplicated post for some reason)
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 September 2019, 17:44:27 by h.parks »
Bottom-Mount Alps Dactyl | Ergodox | PLA75 | SA Penumbra | DSA Blanks | GMK First Love

Offline h.parks

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 15:28:13 »
What a shameluck it has a bad3 great layouts plus a fully customized layout option, otherwise it would bestill be great

FTFY

Offline SuddenlyDonkey

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 18:38:30 »

Ability to customize layout... "has bad layout" 

Sometimes you just can't win.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 20:27:21 »

I don’t get it. The point of the Timber Wolf is that it has multiple layouts.
Unless you’re a troll and I just got whooshed.

Offline soupymeatballs

« Reply #50 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 20:32:11 »

They commented a similar thing on the Austin GB thread too. Seems they feel that they need to comment that on anything that isn't a TKL. Idk why someone would spend their time doing that.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 20:35:31 »

They commented a similar thing on the Austin GB thread too. Seems they feel that they need to comment that on anything that isn't a TKL. Idk why someone would spend their time doing that.

Oh wow you weren’t kidding.

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 21:03:52 »

I haven’t been in th hobby long but it seems some people just crap for craps sake. 

Offline goddream

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 21:21:47 »
We're currently at 37 units ordered, or 39 if the two remaining people who filled it out before the group buy start time respond to my email. Looks like we might not have to wait a month to get started after all!

Thanks everyone <3

I've been offline for a few days, and just filled out my order. Hope i make it in!
Rei XT-60 | Endash | KHDD | Jinsoul | Tengu | PC Dolphin | Nunu | Hyphen | Mc65 | Unikorn | Dahyun | CARDBORD

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 01:24:03 »

I haven’t been in th hobby long but it seems some people just crap for craps sake.

Sounds endemic to any hobby that costs good money

Offline kaziolas

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 16:53:04 »

Its bad for me, I find it really annoying layout, but its good for you, so whats the issue... There are 0 products in the world which are liked by everyone

Offline soupymeatballs

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 16:58:00 »

Its bad for me, I find it really annoying layout, but its good for you, so whats the issue... There are 0 products in the world which are liked by everyone

I think what most of us found confusing is why you would just comment something like that on a GB post. Constructive criticism is one thing (ok on an IC post) but just saying a layout is bad on a GB post is neither helpful nor appreciated.

Offline Croktopus

Re: [GB] Timber Wolf, GB closed
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 22:20:10 »
40/40 slots filled!

Thank you everyone that's participated. There are a few order forms where I need to contact people (I'll be sending all those emails later on tonight), but after we get that all sorted out, I'll be sending out invoices.

Just in case some invoices go unpaid, I've added a standby form.

Time for the real work to start!

Offline h.parks

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 14:24:45 »
congrats on reaching MOQ in 12 hrs and selling out in 3 days!  :thumb:  :cool:

taking this as proof that geekhack can appreciate bold, new layout options

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 19:09:30 »
congrats on reaching MOQ in 12 hrs and selling out in 3 days!  :thumb:  :cool:

taking this as proof that geekhack can appreciate bold, new layout options

lol yeah i'm pretty happy, was nervous it was just me and like 6 other people that were down for something funky

maybe i should fire up the ol' mwo to celebrate

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 19:23:35 »
40/40 slots filled!

Thank you everyone that's participated. There are a few order forms where I need to contact people (I'll be sending all those emails later on tonight), but after we get that all sorted out, I'll be sending out invoices.

Just in case some invoices go unpaid, I've added a standby form.

Time for the real work to start!

Congratulations Crok! May your future IC and GB runs be as awesome and successful!

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 19:30:40 »
Congrats!!!  I’m so happy for you.  I can’t wait to get my hands on this bad boy.  Hopefully the wait will be slightly shorter.

Offline mchaput

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 22:22:39 »

Sorry to be paranoid, but could you please post here when you send out the invoices, so if I don't see it I'll know to check my spam folder or whatever?

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 22:28:39 »

Sorry to be paranoid, but could you please post here when you send out the invoices, so if I don't see it I'll know to check my spam folder or whatever?

np, planning to send them late tomorrow night but i'll post when i do

Offline Bits

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 04:36:23 »
Damn. I totally spaced and missed this. I would have totally loved a Timber Wolf being a fan of Battletech. I'll definitely be looking forward to your other GBs!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 03:38:44 »
Invoices have been sent. Let me know if you didn't receive one, or have questions/want to modify your order. Please get them in by the 10/4 date!

Thanks again everyone <3
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 September 2019, 03:40:19 by Croktopus »

Offline mchaput

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 07:52:51 »
Invoices have been sent.

Woohoo! Can’t wait to see the end product. Best of luck through the whole process!

Offline VelourFog

Re: [GB] Timber Wolf, invoices sent, standby signup still open
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 08:37:39 »
Paid in full  :thumb:

Offline Chaselicious17

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 10:15:38 »
Just found out I will be having heart surgery, and because I'm in America that means I'm gonna be broke af. Still paid invoice but i'm gonna be pissed if I die on the table before I get to see one of these babies IRL.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 11:57:12 »
Paid in full  :thumb:

:D

Invoices have been sent.

Woohoo! Can’t wait to see the end product. Best of luck through the whole process!

Neither can I. Hopefully the 5 month estimate was as super conservative as I thought cuz I can't wait to send these out.

Just found out I will be having heart surgery, and because I'm in America that means I'm gonna be broke af. Still paid invoice but i'm gonna be pissed if I die on the table before I get to see one of these babies IRL.

Hooooooooo buddy. Hope that goes well dude. cuz i mean, i got more boards in the pipeline too ;)

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 12:52:07 »
Just paid, can't wait!

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 28 September 2019, 22:25:09 »
Heads up, I've sent out a few emails to people on standby as a few people have canceled their orders.

Offline goddream

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 01:27:46 »
invoice paid!!
Rei XT-60 | Endash | KHDD | Jinsoul | Tengu | PC Dolphin | Nunu | Hyphen | Mc65 | Unikorn | Dahyun | CARDBORD

Offline goddream

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 01:28:03 »
has it been 5 months yet

Offline Chaselicious17

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 09:05:59 »
Hooooooooo buddy. Hope that goes well dude. cuz i mean, i got more boards in the pipeline too ;)
Oh man that's gonna motivate me so hard during post op ;)
Invoice paid. Idk if i'm more excited for the vertical 2u keys on a 75% or a rotary knob.

"i got more boards in the pipeline too"
Any hints or behind the scenes reveal of what you got coming down to road? :)

Offline Croktopus

Re: [GB] Timber Wolf - Starting to place orders
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 04:32:12 »
Thanks to everyone that paid invoices. Current status: placing order for cases and putting together BOMs and stuff for PCBs. Investigating packaging (not looking to make it ultra premium like norbauer or keycult, but i'd like to go overkill on the protection side of things). If anyone has advice on getting packaging made at a reasonable price for low MOQs, I'd love to chat.

"i got more boards in the pipeline too"
Any hints or behind the scenes reveal of what you got coming down to road? :)

Few other boards at varying levels of progress (one has a completed case and no pcb, one is the other way around, couple others are just rough drafts for both). But the next project is pretty much done with everything pre-proto,though I need to partially re-do the PCB cuz QMK doesn't like me. I posted something in the Timber Wolf IC, but can post a little tease here too. Once the rush to place orders is over, I plan to post a full IC.

227690-0
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 October 2019, 04:40:18 by Croktopus »

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 05:39:54 »
(Attachment Link)

Ooooh that looks nice! Any chance of going full south paw and moving the nav cluster to the left side like the Aegis?

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 21:30:49 »
(Attachment Link)

Ooooh that looks nice! Any chance of going full south paw and moving the nav cluster to the left side like the Aegis?

nah. i respect the aegis, but i wouldnt enjoy using it. i experimented with something similar a while ago and quickly realized that i hate it lol. comes down to just my layout philosophy

Offline h.parks

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 14:37:28 »
any GB status update to share?

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 23:36:12 »
any GB status update to share?

nothing *major*. basically I've spent the last month convincing paypal that I'm a cool dude, trying and failing to convince my bank that I'm a cool dude (it's not a regular bank so I shoulda seen that one coming), convincing my local government that I'm a cool enough dude to run a business, and now I'm working with a new bank to get it all processed. On the bright side, I pretty much expected this bs so I wouldn't even say we're behind schedule. Well maybe a bit behind schedule cuz I also had to move and that kinda ****ed me up for a week or so.

thanks for everyone's patience as I stumble through my first time doing this stuff. I've already learned plenty, and actually thanks for the question because going forward I'd like to make a habit of doing an update post every Sunday, just for better transparency.

11/18 update: everything's squared away, just waiting for money to transfer...
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 November 2019, 10:05:43 by Croktopus »

Offline mchaput

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 23 November 2019, 11:28:32 »
Red Timber Wolf buyers, what caps are you planning to put on your board? I picked up GMK Red Samurai in anticipation, now I have to wait 4 months to see how it looks ;) I figure if that doesn't work, black keys will always look good with the red case.

Also have a bag of Zealios on the shelf earmarked for this board. Why do I torture myself?

Matt

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 12:41:42 »
Dumb question on switch compatibility.  I'm going to be buying all the necessary switches I need from ZealPC - should I be buying any stabilizers or would they not be recommended / useful with this PCB?

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 13:05:19 »
Dumb question on switch compatibility.  I'm going to be buying all the necessary switches I need from ZealPC - should I be buying any stabilizers or would they not be recommended / useful with this PCB?

Since this is a plateless board, you would need screwed in stabs like the Zeal stabs. I personally would go with screwed-in Cherry/GMK/C3 stabs since the Zeal ones are so overpriced, but that's just me.

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 14:57:51 »
I hear you.  Def priced high.  There is a pre-Black Friday sale on them right now that softens the blow.  I just want to make sure I buy all the needed things in one swoop so I'm not paying for shipping twice.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 18:32:45 »
Red Timber Wolf buyers, what caps are you planning to put on your board? I picked up GMK Red Samurai in anticipation, now I have to wait 4 months to see how it looks ;) I figure if that doesn't work, black keys will always look good with the red case.

Also have a bag of Zealios on the shelf earmarked for this board. Why do I torture myself?

Matt

Honestly, Jamon seems the best fit. But if I had to choose among the current ICs/GBs, I'd slap GMK Alter.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 05:09:56 »
"weekly" update that i already missed one of out of the 4 weeks ive been doing them, oops

Manufacturing is ongoing. Assuming nothing goes too wrong, I'm expecting to get the cases delivered to me in less than 2 months.
In pre-production for PCBs (verifying the PCBA files are gucci with a test run)
MetaMechs is a totally legit business. Feels good.
Bushwacker IC is a ways off as I want to have a physical prototype in hand this time.

12/11 update: nothing really new. hopefully more stuff is happening next week!
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 December 2019, 01:15:42 by Croktopus »

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 17:17:57 »
Hopefully everything occurs before Chinese New Year.  I've heard China can kind of 'shut-down' to celebrate.  Either way glad to hear we're progressing well.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 23:46:11 »
Hopefully everything occurs before Chinese New Year.  I've heard China can kind of 'shut-down' to celebrate.  Either way glad to hear we're progressing well.

I'm somewhat optimistic manufacturing of everything will be done by chinese new year, but...not gonna guarantee it

12/18: just unpacked some pre-production pcbs, have to do some testing, I'm worried that my LED adjustment circuit messes with the board's reset function when LED is mega dimmed, so I might have to do another round of test PCB to fix that issue. hopefully i can fix it by just swapping out a resistor value, though.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 09:51:25 »
So my contact at the factory got me some photos of the colors. They're ****ty camera phone pictures, the lighting's not great, and even in the best of cases I wouldn't trust pictures too much with colors but...

Colors were one of my big anxieties going into this, and I gotta say, I'm feeling pretty relieved. The red is nice and rich like I wanted, doesn't look orange like the original color sample did. The violet and rose gold both look very nice, and the blue grey is actually pretty close to my platonic ideal. the dark gray might be just a tiny bit darker than I wanted, but it's really hard to tell from the pictures (in the close up, the section in darkness looks almost black, while the section that catches the light looks pretty on point, so that one I'll definitely need to wait and see in person).

We're not out of the woods yet for anodization - the factory said there were some issues on some pieces that need to be fixed, and color consistency is still up in the air, but I'm feeling good. It's going slower than the factory estimated (whodathunk) but honestly way faster than I anticipated.

233177-1233179-2233181-3233183-4233185-5233187-6
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 January 2020, 09:55:32 by Croktopus »

Offline Chaselicious17

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 09:57:13 »
Obviously a little hard to tell the quality of the ano but the pigments look great! I'm super stoked for how the blue came out

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 12:49:08 »
That red  :) I almost feel bad ordering dark grey over it. Almost.

Offline vilagefool

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 13:02:51 »
I'm kinda regretting getting silver...kinda. Still looking forward to seeing more and eventually getting it into my hands!

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 10:27:18 »
Nice to see the colors.  Still wish white had been offered.  Looking forward to getting more updates!

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #93 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 16:57:49 »
So, cases arrived! I've done some very very initial inspection and I have good news and bad news. Let's start with the bad.

Two of the four boxes were ****ed during shipping - not sure if it was ****ty packing or handling (probably both) but yeah, pretty big vertical holes and crushed corners, that kinda stuff. I've so far examined 6 cases (top and bottom pieces, haven't gotten to badges), two were dark gray and 4 were red. 1 of the dark gray top cases was pretty bad - 3 places on the exterior with anodization issues. one of the red top cases had a small chip taken out of it (the kind of damage cerakote won't fix), and 2 of the other red cases had some minor external issues that would make me classify them as B-stock. I'm still hopeful that these are outliers as they were taken from the most damaged areas, but I'm almost certain I'll need to do a (hopefully small) remanufacturing run.

It's also worth mentioning that on all the bottom cases, the internals have been some measure of pretty bad, but the externals were pretty much flawless on all but one. Since I'm not counting internal flaws against a case unless it's egregious, seems like plenty of A-stock there.

The good news is, the red and dark gray colors are both great, and the two A-stock top pieces I've checked out so far are really nicely done (pretty much flawless externally), so if I can get everything up to those standards, we should be good.

Like I said, this was a super brief initial inspection - it'll probably take me a week or more to catalog each piece. I'm still cautiously optimistic, and will update when i have more information, but I wanted to keep everyone in the loop, even if it's not the happiest of news.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 11:43:20 »
So, cases arrived! I've done some very very initial inspection and I have good news and bad news. Let's start with the bad.

Two of the four boxes were ****ed during shipping - not sure if it was ****ty packing or handling (probably both) but yeah, pretty big vertical holes and crushed corners, that kinda stuff. I've so far examined 6 cases (top and bottom pieces, haven't gotten to badges), two were dark gray and 4 were red. 1 of the dark gray top cases was pretty bad - 3 places on the exterior with anodization issues. one of the red top cases had a small chip taken out of it (the kind of damage cerakote won't fix), and 2 of the other red cases had some minor external issues that would make me classify them as B-stock. I'm still hopeful that these are outliers as they were taken from the most damaged areas, but I'm almost certain I'll need to do a (hopefully small) remanufacturing run.

It's also worth mentioning that on all the bottom cases, the internals have been some measure of pretty bad, but the externals were pretty much flawless on all but one. Since I'm not counting internal flaws against a case unless it's egregious, seems like plenty of A-stock there.

The good news is, the red and dark gray colors are both great, and the two A-stock top pieces I've checked out so far are really nicely done (pretty much flawless externally), so if I can get everything up to those standards, we should be good.

Like I said, this was a super brief initial inspection - it'll probably take me a week or more to catalog each piece. I'm still cautiously optimistic, and will update when i have more information, but I wanted to keep everyone in the loop, even if it's not the happiest of news.

Appreciate the update, chief!

Offline japancakes

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 19:49:14 »
I'm not in this GB but those samples look *****ng sick

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #96 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 10:37:01 »
Any updates?

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 12:58:09 »
Any updates?

Yeah sorry I've been posting in the Discord.

A few of the cases arrived damaged and I need the factory to re-do them, and the cny/coronavirus stuff is delaying that. also the inside of the bottom cases are all varying levels of scuffed, but I'm not counting that against them for QC since none of it mechanically affects anything and none of it is visible when assembled. there's also an issue where they just didn't drill&tap some holes, so I'm gonna either take care of that myself (with the help of a couple machinist friends) or hire a local machine shop to take care of that.

the good news is that the colors are better than i hoped, and i didnt get scammed, the factory is even offering to cover costs for repairs and replacements, will update with more on that when they return.

the PCB is ready (i've been tweaking it bit by bit over the last few months as my pcb design skills have improved), so I'll be ordering that when the factories are back up and running, and I've got most of the auxiliary bits either on the way or in house (screws, feet, rubber washers, etc). Packing is the current source of stress, as it'd be easy enough to just use bubble wrap, foam sheets, esd bags, etc. but i wanna play around with custom cutting foam. final decision on packaging is going to have to wait until we see how much extra i'll have to pay to complete re-manufacturing (they implied that they'd take care of it no charge, but i'm a cautious dude).

ETA I quoted on discord is "march-ish"; I think I can hit that, if it runs a bit late I'll see about throwing in some extras like custom cut foam (no guarantees, but my makerspace just got a lasercutter so i want to experiment)

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 13:15:39 »
Thanks for the fast update.  Somehow I missed that there was a formal discord - I'll have to look up the link.  I look forward to getting the board and someday running my own GB for Prost.  Getting closer to getting all the icons done. 

Offline killchain

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 11:05:09 »
Kind of bummed that I missed that, although the price is a little steep for me.

Is a next iteration is planned? If so, will you consider things like ISO enter and a split spacebar?

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #100 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 13:04:39 »
Kind of bummed that I missed that, although the price is a little steep for me.

Is a next iteration is planned? If so, will you consider things like ISO enter and a split spacebar?

timber wolf r2 is a long ways off. i wouldnt mind doing it some day, but i dont think the demand is actually there, and i am happier focusing on other projects that allow for more of a creative outlet. though, the current design does support iso enter.

Offline h.parks

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 14:53:24 »
Found a great pic of the blue-grey TW on Croktopus' discord, and I thought I'd share it here.

236618-0

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 12:18:58 »
Anyone have a link to the Discord?

Offline vilagefool

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 14:10:42 »

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 14:59:48 »
in the first post: https://discord.gg/d96xf2x

Lol, I completely missed that. Thanks!

Offline mchaput

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 09:30:16 »
I found an email from Crok in my spam folder. If you ordered and don't know what I'm talking about, you should check your spam folder too :)

Offline 4nalee

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 09:53:26 »
I found an email from Crok in my spam folder. If you ordered and don't know what I'm talking about, you should check your spam folder too :)
Hmm, I did not find any email. When was it sent out?

Edit: found it! If you haven't found it, try checking the email you provided for the group buy instead of your PayPal email.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2020, 14:20:30 by 4nalee »

Offline vilagefool

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 13:00:07 »
Hmm, I did not find any email. When was it sent out?

around 3/18 was the last one I received from Crok.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 07:06:45 »

The funny thing to me is that the notifications about GH replies have apparently been going to my spam folder. meanwhile all the phishing goes straight to my inbox. fun fun

Still a fair number of people that haven't filled out the felt plate form, so I'll send out emails to those peoples' paypal emails, too.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 09 October 2021, 20:51:07 »
Hey y'all, been a while.

Finally selling the extras/b-stock for this GB. If you've been waiting, sorry it took so long! Info is already posted on my discord https://discord.gg/ecCNwXgS but to summarize:

photos of all extras: most defects are visible, i may have missed a few with the angle, but thats what the grading is for. for reference, here is how i came up with the grades. prices of course include pcb, encoders, knob:
a-stock: perfect, or only tiny imperfections on the bottom or back. $420
b-stock: great, maybe a small mark but nothing you'll notice if you're not looking for it. $370
c-stock: major finish issue, but should be fully restored with refinishing. $330
d-stock: actual damage that refinishing won't cover up, but still functions. $290

note: prices don't include shipping, which isn't too bad for CONUS but international can be brutal right now

Extras raffle (closes 10:59 pacific oct 15)
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 October 2021, 20:55:16 by Croktopus »