Author Topic: [IC] LCARS keyboard set - GB LIVE!!!  (Read 126916 times)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Re: [IC] LCARS keyboard set
« Reply #200 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 12:32:49 »
How are SP's DSA PBT caps? I've got some of their ABS caps and am THOROUGHLY unimpressed. To the point where I would probably be out of this GB if that's what we went with. I'm still hesitant with PBT as well, as I can't imagine they'll be that much different.

SA keycaps just have substance like DSA specifically doesn't. They're thin, and just sound hollow typing on them.

Are their PBT caps any better?

Didn't SP make the DS ABS DSA Retro set? I can't speak to the feel, but it seems to have been wildly popular.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #201 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 13:22:05 »
SP DSA would be perfect for this, though i only like DSA on normal keyboards and not my ergodox. SP DSA dont feel thin in my opinion.

SA would look too retro for a LCARS set.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #202 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 22:03:26 »
Latest round of mock-ups—the full set of four this time—with color based on in-person matching with actual Signature Plastics color rings (matching, that is, to each other, to original screenshots, and to my original LCARS backlit graphic from the production set), as best as I was able given the limited palettes available in the two materials.

Comments/suggestions welcome. :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 September 2013, 00:41:53 by norbauer »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #203 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 00:50:15 »
FWIW, after seeing the color rings IRL, I think both materials have color matches that are about equally good, all things considered. The PBT set has the best color matching for all the colors except for the yellow/orange. ABS has the better yellow/orange but slightly worse matches in the other colors. Since the yellow/orange is rather more important than any of the other colors, I'd say it's basically a wash—or that ABS comes out slightly ahead, since it also means crisper legends.

To describe the issue with the PBT orange/yellow more precisely, the best and only suitable color for that role within the PBT palette is a very light/pastel orange, almost like an orange sorbet or Creamsicle.

It is more orange and pastel than the traditional LCARS yellow (which should actually be somewhat orange), and it just doesn't look like anything we ever really see as part of an LCARS interface.

But as I say, in similar ways, the other colors for PBT are better matches for their own respective positions.

Anyway, hopefully my mock-ups and the pictures in them will give you some sense of the difference, but it's a little hard to convey virtually.

Maybe it would be a good strategy simply to make your choice based on which material you prefer for its inherent properties (legend crispness, feel, sound, etc.). Because I think either one of these color sets is going to make for an amazing LCARS-themed production.

Looking forward to hearing other people's thoughts. Hopefully we'll be able to start voting on these soon.

[updated to add clarifications, and added a pic for illustration]
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 September 2013, 05:01:11 by norbauer »

Offline vierax

« Reply #204 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 01:02:15 »
wow Norb, that's so great !

The only thing I dislike is the red escape which looks too vermilion to me in the neighbourhood of the other colours. Maybe something more magenta is a better compromise between the quiet ambiance and the emergency command of the key.

And all of the pure yellows in the PBT palette are too harsh and look like French's mustard
You mean the fluorescent one with turmeric, not the Dijon's ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustard_%28condiment%29

Offline norbauer

« Reply #205 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 01:38:27 »
wow Norb, that's so great !

;D

The only thing I dislike is the red escape which looks too vermilion to me in the neighbourhood of the other colours. Maybe something more magenta is a better compromise between the quiet ambiance and the emergency command of the key.

I kind of agree. The reason I chose it is because it is actually color-matched to one of the colors in my original TNG graphic from the set. (I keep meaning to post a pic.) I also wanted something slightly muted to match the rest of the set rather than a loud primary-color red. Otherwise, it would draw attention from the rest of the colors, or so I felt anyway.

This is probably an irrelevant concern, however. As Moz pointed out, we are probably a little high on colors as it is right now, so cutting down on them may be necessary cut costs to a price that people would actually be willing to pay—and the red Esc would seem to be the first color on the chopping block. I don't know much about the economics of GBs, so I'll defer to him on that matter.

And all of the pure yellows in the PBT palette are too harsh and look like French's mustard
You mean the fluorescent one with turmeric, not the Dijon's ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustard_%28condiment%29

Quite correct. Je n'ai pas voulu décrire la moutarde Française quand j'ai écrit « French's ». Ironiquement, il y une moutarde qui existe aux Etats-Unis sous la marque « French's », qui est en fait composée de curcuma. Moi, je prefere celle de Dijon. ;)

Pardon, if you will, my French. lol
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 September 2013, 01:40:06 by norbauer »

Offline vierax

« Reply #206 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 04:06:09 »

This is probably an irrelevant concern, however. As Moz pointed out, we are probably a little high on colors as it is right now, so cutting down on them may be necessary cut costs to a price that people would actually be willing to pay—and the red Esc would seem to be the first color on the chopping block. I don't know much about the economics of GBs, so I'll defer to him on that matter.
yeah, I read it but my subconscious reach of (almost) perfection has spoken :)

Quite correct. Je n'ai pas voulu décrire la moutarde Française quand j'ai écrit « French's ». Ironiquement, il y une moutarde qui existe aux Etats-Unis sous la marque « French's », qui est en fait composée de curcuma. Moi, je prefere celle de Dijon. ;)

Pardon, if you will, my French. lol
Your French is excellent, way better written than a lot of French citizens does and than my poor English skill  :-[
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 September 2013, 04:08:23 by vierax »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #207 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 04:55:40 »
I was just watching the episode "The Mind's Eye" tonight and ran across some great LCARS shots, which I thought I'd share. They make me feel even better about the color choices/matches in my previous post with the latest mock-ups. :)

Until I started this project I never realized how much pink, purple, salmon, and other such colors were prevalent throughout the TNG sets. I like it.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #208 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 07:57:49 »
This is excellent. Now do me an Ergodox mockup as well. I will then start a poll and start getting pricing from SP?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #209 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 11:19:56 »
This is excellent. Now do me an Ergodox mockup as well. I will then start a poll and start getting pricing from SP?

will do. legends,blanks, or both?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #210 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 12:15:29 »

Both

Offline norbauer

« Reply #211 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 18:05:36 »

Both

Hey Moz. I looked in your CAD thread but can't find an Ergodox vector/dwg file with legends like the one you originally posted for the normal ANSI layout. If you have those can you post it here or PM it to me?

Thanks!

Offline crazee64

« Reply #212 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 18:11:43 »
I love what you've done with the asymmetry of the colours. I like the PBT mockups best - they just have a more inviting feel, seems more in keeping with the intent of LCARS. I also prefer the feel of PBT so that's a bonus.

Now we just need someone to manufacture PBT double shots for us  ;D
Keyboards: Ducky 9008G2PRO PBT (MX Browns)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #213 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 18:14:45 »
I think SP does PBT DS DSA, I might might wrong.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #214 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 18:15:25 »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #215 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 18:46:34 »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gskvuhild4f0w1s/keylayouts.dwg

Here you go

Thanks, Moz. But the Ergodox layouts in that file all seem to be missing the legends. Am I missing something?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #216 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 19:04:37 »
You only need the alphas, and since you had/changed them, I don't have them as a layout :/

Offline norbauer

« Reply #217 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 23:16:12 »
You only need the alphas, and since you had/changed them, I don't have them as a layout :/

Oh, sorry. Ergodox is a foreign world to me! ;) I can take care of that then. I just wasn't sure what all the modifier keys were, but I'll just leave all those blank.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #218 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 23:35:25 »

Oh, sorry. Ergodox is a foreign world to me! ;) I can take care of that then. I just wasn't sure what all the modifier keys were, but I'll just leave all those blank.

So, just to clarify, I'll basically be making something that looks like this (for the legends sets):

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #219 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 00:25:33 »
Yeah, those are the only legends we need.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #220 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 02:31:42 »
OK, these are all the new sets including Ergodox. I'll do some cleaning up of the final mock-up once we select what is actually going to be made.

Actually having the swatches in hand—and having deliberated on this for a couple of days and shown it in person to some other TNG fans—I think my personal endorsement is ultimately for the ABS set. I think the most important thing for this set is good color-matching, and overall I think ABS offers the best set for this particular project. The fatal flaw in the PBT set is, IMO, the yellow/orange, which (based on how it looks in person), is frankly, all wrong.

I know some people feel strongly about the materials themselves, and I myself tend to prefer PBT. But given that we're talking about doubleshot, I'm agnostic on that point (I hate thin ABS, but I'm told that doubleshot mitigates the normal high pitched sound of ABS by making the keys twice as thick).

ABS Doubleshot also means we'll not only have crisper legends, but that the legend colors for the helm nav wheel region (where, rather than black legends, I use key colors from other parts of the set) will exactly match the other colors because the legends will actually be made of the same plastic, whereas any dyesub will never exactly match with the plastics colors.

At any rate, I look forward to moving forward with voting ASAP and seeing what other people think.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 October 2013, 02:38:43 by norbauer »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #221 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 02:39:28 »
Those look great! I'll have a poll up soon.

Offline BakerMan1971

« Reply #222 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 07:00:04 »
+1 interest :)

« Reply #223 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 07:47:00 »
Thanks for all the hard work norbauer! Truly awesome stuff. I can't wait to get my hands on the color approved ABS doubleshot set.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff

Offline AlexJP

« Reply #225 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 12:43:59 »
37426-037426-1
I modified the first mockup just to follow the reference.

Yes! this one please
and SA profile
PBT
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 October 2013, 12:51:03 by AlexJP »

Offline AlexJP

« Reply #226 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 12:54:33 »
please add this one...
: /

Offline Dansor

« Reply #227 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 12:59:59 »
Beautiful work so far Norbauer  :thumb:

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #228 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 13:04:42 »
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)
I modified the first mockup just to follow the reference.

Yes! this one please
and SA profile
PBT

Albeit the color scheme would look really good in SA PBT, it is essentially very similar to Yolch, however it doesn't follow the LCARS theme, and hence was not taken forward.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #229 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 13:15:20 »
Thanks for all the hard work norbauer! Truly awesome stuff. I can't wait to get my hands on the color approved ABS doubleshot set.

Welcome to geekhack Lt.J.G.AstroPhysicist! And thanks for voting. (Also what are you doing dawdling here in this thread?! Cmdr. LaForge is still waiting in engineering for that statistical analysis.)

Poll is up: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1tR0EEzZUPdmYVlYieoIwpxYbuAE7UFhE20NlVgqCXG8/viewform

Moz: Awesome. Thanks! Would you mind updating the OP thread topic to add "VOTING NOW," or something similar, at the end?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
Re: [IC] LCARS keyboard set - TAKING VOTES
« Reply #230 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 16:05:33 »
voted. i honestly would prefer the dyesub but ill do doubleshot as well.

the ergodox color scheme looooookkks gooood, i hope the interest grows enough that it would be possible. i'm not going to join without ergodox.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #231 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 16:09:14 »
voted. i honestly would prefer the dyesub but ill do doubleshot as well.

the ergodox color scheme looooookkks gooood, i hope the interest grows enough that it would be possible. i'm not going to join without ergodox.

You do realize that I am going to be running the GB, a fellow ErgoDox staunch, thus alphas or not, there will be an ErgoDox kit :P

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #232 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 16:16:35 »
Voted. Glad to see my choice is the most popular one. :)

Down with yucky PBT. Keyfeel is abhorrent to my fingertips.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline bahamot

• bistropolis - dine with style
« Reply #233 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 20:40:10 »
Voted for PBT dye sub, apparently it's not too popular here  :eek:

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline divito

« Reply #234 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 20:53:56 »
Ugh, those responses are so disheartening. Want my blanks :(
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #235 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 20:58:14 »

Hmm. I want a blank set too! =\

Where are you seeing the updated results? All I can see is the form itself when I follow Moz's link.

Offline divito

« Reply #236 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 21:25:50 »

Where are you seeing the updated results? All I can see is the form itself when I follow Moz's link.

The response to thank for submission offers a link to see the results so far. As far as I know, you'd have to do another submission to be able to see it.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #237 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 21:48:00 »
Just filled out "LCARS (aka Galaxy Class) Keyset Poll" and I didn't think the PBT set would ever get a look in - but alas we can't have everything here on Geekhack.

I hope your Group Buy takes off and helps some Trekkie fans get a little joy put onto their keyboards  :thumb: .

Offline norbauer

« Reply #238 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 22:56:38 »

The response to thank for submission offers a link to see the results so far. As far as I know, you'd have to do another submission to be able to see it.

Ah, OK. If anyone snags the public link (or if you have it, Moz), maybe they could share it here? I'm curious. :)

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #239 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 23:06:04 »
God, I was really hoping to get a set of PBT out of this.

And has DSA been decided, then? Since there's no vote option for profile?
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #240 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 23:08:45 »
God, I was really hoping to get a set of PBT out of this.

And has DSA been decided, then? Since there's no vote option for profile?

I'm with you regarding the PBT manufacture but it looks like the masses want plain old ABS.  Hence ABS they shall get.  Also no info relating to key-cap profile has been mentioned yet.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #241 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 23:16:40 »
With the ABS DSA SP keycaps I've got, and my displeasure with how they feel, I will not be going in on this if it's ABS -and- DSA. One or the other, I'm all for it, but those particular keycaps make me feel like I need to take a shower.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #242 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 00:23:17 »
I'm down for this set....if anything just the spacebar would be nice.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #243 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 01:53:23 »
I'm pretty sure DSA was chosen since the low profile fit better with the theme of the set. Also, people probably chose ABS for the sharp legends and accurate colours. Blank PBT might still be an option?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #244 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 04:09:16 »
DSA has been chosen as it suits the theme best.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #246 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 06:36:38 »
DSA has been chosen as it suits the theme best.

Damn this is starting to look interesting now.  Although PBT is off the books right?

Offline bahamot

• bistropolis - dine with style
« Reply #247 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 06:42:01 »
Damn this is starting to look interesting now.  Although PBT is off the books right?
Based on the poll result, both DS ABS and PBT dye sub are pretty closed

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #248 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 06:47:29 »
Based on the poll result, both DS ABS and PBT dye sub are pretty closed

Damn, I wish PBT pulls through because thus far I don't have a full PBT Key-set with dye-sub - which might be the most under-rated one presented thus far on Geekhack.

Only 27 in total bothered to answer the Poll requirements, is there no liking to buy more valued key-sets anymore?  I'm just shocked with the almost dead response from our fellow members here.  I thought there would be at least 60 to 80 responses by now.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #249 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 07:20:21 »
Not even worth voting for IMO, the new mockups omitted all the cool symbol keys...

I mean COME ON, a Star Trek themed keyset with no Starfleet emblem?
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches