Author Topic: [IC] LCARS keyboard set - GB LIVE!!!  (Read 126910 times)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
[IC] LCARS keyboard set - GB LIVE!!!
« on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 05:56:17 »
Based on this keyboard here: http://cptrick.deviantart.com/art/LCARS-keyboard-98329154

Here is a mockup of the standard layout based on that color scheme. Since the real attraction of this set would be the legends, thus we need to get them dyesubbed, otherwise ABS DS from SP would have been a solid choice (Which is still a possibility if people want the color scheme).

I asked IMSTO if he can do Dyesub on SP SA/DSA caps, he said he can. I think either SA/DSA would look good, not too sure about DCS, anyone know if SP does PBT SA? I know they do ABS, but those can't be dyesubbed. I will ask QWERkeys as well if they can do UV printing on ABS/PBT SA/DSA caps.

So help me here:
1. ABS? PBT?
2. SA? DSA? DCS?
3. UV Printed? Dye subbed? Double-shot?
4. And the biggest question, legends, what sort of legends would you like?

Here is the new poll with the mockups. Please vote and let's make this happen:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1tR0EEzZUPdmYVlYieoIwpxYbuAE7UFhE20NlVgqCXG8/viewform

Poll results: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1tR0EEzZUPdmYVlYieoIwpxYbuAE7UFhE20NlVgqCXG8/viewanalytics

41001-0

We are currently working with Massdrop to make this keyset happen in the coming few weeks. Sign up on our notification list and we’ll let you know when the group buy ordering goes live.

If you’d like to help us promote this group buy, please add the following to your signature
Code: [Select]
[url=http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48839.0][img width=394 height=80]https://e2ij2g.dm2302.livefilestore.com/y2pRH67ha3l3S3xmkgfQnHnqhaAEOMpMChfJWsvbcCTBYsFkP9TiorRQeLmfvGxISxwZ11mhAO1ERQf4w3puYvEX3F_ZOcuCZMeAYsT4Kds6C4/galaxyclasspromo.gif?psid=1[/img][/url]
[/s]

The Group buy is now live.

Please read full details and move the discussion from this thread over to the Group Buy thread.

Engage!
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 May 2014, 16:39:56 by MOZ »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Re: [IC] LCARS keyboard set
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 06:31:50 »
So help me here:
1. ABS? PBT?
2. SA? DSA? DCS?

1) PBT.
2) SA.
3) Dye-subbed.
4) Anything you like, as long as it's not Infantile.......

We've yet to GET a fully built SA Profile done in PBT, yours would be the absolute FIRST on here.  I wish you Good Luck in getting it done Sir.

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 06:41:58 »
That's a surprisingly solid color scheme you've got up there. I wasn't excited about this one till I saw that.
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline Artichoke

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 12:42:41 »
So help me here:
1. ABS? PBT?
2. SA? DSA? DCS?

1) Either works for me
2) SA or DSA
3) DS or dyesub, UV printing is less preferable but also fine with me.
4) Personally I like the font from the picture you linked, could use the star trek logo as the windows key legend, but that's my only idea.

Would love to buy one of these if the pricing is reasonable. Seems like it could be a lot of new legends though?
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 September 2013, 13:10:42 by Artichoke »

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 12:48:05 »
The color scheme makes me think of the Knicks.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 12:49:03 »
Dsa dye sub? wasn't that the $8000 issue?
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 13:25:43 »
Dsa dye sub? wasn't that the $8000 issue?

What issue? I asked IMSTO and he said he can, just give me the idea (Designs)

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 13:59:16 »
We can't get PBT spacebars from SP I'm pretty sure. Other than that I like the colors, and PBT dye sub in either dsa or sa will make me happy.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 14:05:56 »
I love the color scheme. It would be cool to use a font other than the normal Cherry or WYSE font. Maybe something more vintage looking?
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 14:47:09 »
I love the color scheme. It would be cool to use a font other than the normal Cherry or WYSE font. Maybe something more vintage looking?

I am leaning towards http://www.lcarsdeveloper.com/downloads/lcarsfont.zip

Now I was just looking at the LCARS standards and this is the color scheme we should follow:

So change the color scheme a bit? Replace the grey with 66 46 66?

Offline divito

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 14:57:05 »
So change the color scheme a bit? Replace the grey with 66 46 66?

Definitely change the color in line with the standards. I was just looking over some TNG helm pictures and it's definitely along those lines.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 15:58:10 »
Firstly, OMG YES.

I am an obsessive TNG fan—have been almost all my life. I also own an original LCARS back-light Okudagram from the set with the full range of colors and am happy to share photos and to assist in screen-accurate color matching. I actually have spent much of my career thinking about the LCARS interface and how best to translate that vision and aesthetic into contemporary technology (happy to discuss, but I'll save the details for another venue). I also have a lot of experience building screen-accurate Trek prop replicas (with a particular emphasis on the 24-century era stuff like this).

At any rate, I'm willing and happy to do anything I can to help make this a reality. I also do a lot of graphic design work in the Adobe suite, have a lot of experience with color work (mostly in the Pantone color space) and color-matching, typography, etc and I would be happy to take a first crack at designing legends/graphics.

In short: let's make this happen!

My initial thoughts on the physical form factor are this:

ISA and DSA are very retro, and I think something LCARS should be ultra-sleek and modern by contrast. As close to flat as possible, just like the original LCARS interface panels themselves, would seem to be more in order. In PBT, I would favor Cherry profile, or something similarly low-profile. If we went the double-shot route, I think the SP LP profile might even be the best one suited to this. We should take the opportunity to do something unusual.

Material
The most important thing would seem to be to use the material that will allow us the most precise color-matching. That being said, I personally prefer PBT and thick where possible, purely for their feel, sound, and durability. Double-shot ABS would be a good second choice if it offers other better aesthetic properties (such as better color matching or crisper legend graphics).

Legends
The traditional LCARS font can be a little clunky when used in physical print. It looks great and stylish on the show when used as a small component of a busy display graphic, but the fonts used are typically heavy in font-weight yet highly condensed. This would make for very ugly single-letter caps. I would recommend trying to find a font that has better typographic properties for use in a keyboard legend set but still has a futuristic TNG-like "feel" without actually trying to be too literal in using replicas of the original font set. Something like Tungsten by Hoefler & Frère-Jones (or a number of others I could come up with) would offer a much more professional range of font weights and flexibility in making legends but while still feeling sleek and futuristic.

Another big question is whether to do the rounded borders that are commonly present in LCARS designs (like the deviant art one linked to above). If we could figure out a way to make it work, it could be awesome. But I think just doing it for the sake of it could leave us with something looking pretty ugly; lots of blank ink bleeding to the edge of key cap tops but then the underlying color being visible between keys at the edges would just look amateurish and weird. A lot of creativity and thought would have to go into doing this properly.

Blank option
Along similar lines, if possible, I would love to see a blank keyset option—something suggestive of the TNG era in its color scheme, but not too busy. I think people who aren't Trek fans might even find this appealing. The LCARS color scheme is, I think, inherently beautiful and has broad intrinsic appeal.

Offline Forever

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 16:04:55 »
SP can do PBT keycaps, but I dont know about the spacebars

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 16:09:51 »
this is really cool moz

Offline divito

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 16:13:14 »
Firstly, OMG YES.

I am an obsessive TNG fan—have been almost all my life. I also own an original LCARS back-light Okudagram from the set with the full range of colors and am happy to share photos and to assist in screen-accurate color matching. I actually have spent much of my career thinking about the LCARS interface and how best to translate that vision and aesthetic into contemporary technology (happy to discuss, but I'll save the details for another venue). I also have a lot of experience building screen-accurate Trek prop replicas (with a particular emphasis on the 24-century era stuff like this).

At any rate, I'm willing and happy to do anything I can to help make this a reality. I also do a lot of graphic design work in the Adobe suite, have a lot of experience with color work (mostly in the Pantone color space) and color-matching, typography, etc and I would be happy to take a first crack at designing legends/graphics.

In short: let's make this happen!

My initial thoughts on the physical form factor are this:

ISA and DSA are very retro, and I think something LCARS should be ultra-sleek and modern by contrast. As close to flat as possible, just like the original LCARS interface panels themselves, would seem to be more in order. In PBT, I would favor Cherry profile, or something similarly low-profile. If we went the double-shot route, I think the SP LP profile might even be the best one suited to this. We should take the opportunity to do something unusual.

Material
The most important thing would seem to be to use the material that will allow us the most precise color-matching. That being said, I personally prefer PBT and thick where possible, purely for their feel, sound, and durability. Double-shot ABS would be a good second choice if it offers other better aesthetic properties (such as better color matching or crisper legend graphics).

Legends
The traditional LCARS font can be a little clunky when used in physical print. It looks great and stylish on the show when used as a small component of a busy display graphic, but the fonts used are typically heavy in font-weight yet highly condensed. This would make for very ugly single-letter caps. I would recommend trying to find a font that has better typographic properties for use in a keyboard legend set but still has a futuristic TNG-like "feel" without actually trying to be too literal in using replicas of the original font set. Something like Tungsten by Hoefler & Frère-Jones (or a number of others I could come up with) would offer a much more professional range of font weights and flexibility in making legends but while still feeling sleek and futuristic.

Another big question is whether to do the rounded borders that are commonly present in LCARS designs (like the deviant art one linked to above). If we could figure out a way to make it work, it could be awesome. But I think just doing it for the sake of it could leave us with something looking pretty ugly; lots of blank ink bleeding to the edge of key cap tops but then the underlying color being visible between keys at the edges would just look amateurish and weird. A lot of creativity and thought would have to go into doing this properly.

Blank option
Along similar lines, if possible, I would love to see a blank keyset option—something suggestive of the TNG era in its color scheme, but not too busy. I think people who aren't Trek fans might even find this appealing. The LCARS color scheme is, I think, inherently beautiful and has broad intrinsic appeal.

Yay, another TNG fan!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 19:21:52 »
So based on the standards:

Which color scheme looks best, or if you have other ideas, they are most welcome.

Offline mtl

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 19:23:31 »
Great colors. :-) +1 for SA profile.
MX13 SpaceSaver | Phantom | Tactoblack Filco -10 | Realforce 103U-UW | Variable Clicky Deck 82 | Deck Legend

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 19:24:40 »
Why is my wallet crying as I look through this thread.

Offline Artichoke

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 19:32:50 »
I like the top left one the most personally, not a big fan of the legend on the spacebar though, maybe could offer both?

Could also make the escape key yellow as well on that one possibly.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 September 2013, 19:37:18 by Artichoke »

Offline RapidCancel

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 22:44:45 »
I like the top left one as well as the one below it.  I'd say DSA, but I have little experience in different keycap profiles.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 22:50:05 »
So based on the standards:

Show Image

Which color scheme looks best, or if you have other ideas, they are most welcome.

It would make it easy if you numbered/lettered each proposal.  Then the selection could be placed in a poll for the ones here interested in buying into this GB.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 01:02:35 »
I'm not a fan of the phrases on the keys. Kind of reminds me of the Poker 2 space bar in that they seem awkward. Colours look really good on the one directly under the deviant art mockup.

This is exciting. Make it so.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 September 2013, 01:07:19 by stoic-lemon »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 01:14:01 »
Agreed, this could be fun and a very unique set. However it SP do not have 6.25u spacebar in the LP profile. I will however check with them.

Material
ABS DS is going to be hard since the legends will end up costing a fortune. I can't think of why I put that up there, maybe if we go for a normal font.

Legends
I created the mockup before I read your post. Still have a look, lookslike the spacebar isn't very popular.

Blank option
We might have to do this.

The initial color scheme seems to garner most acceptance, even though it doesn't follow LCARS standards. Remember there are only so many colors available with SP, so we can't go for exact match in most cases.

Offline darkfire32

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 04:08:04 »
Just tossing in my opinions:
I would rather get PBTs due to the feel but if it is really expensive then I wouldn't mind ABS.
I would like DCS profiles but it appears I'm alone in this. If we are going wacky with the profile, dare I mention the KT/SS profiles or does no one like those for a reason?
I am not really into the pink/red colors, I think the grey color does match up better.
And, FOR GOD'S SAKE NOT THE "MAKE IT HAPPEN" FOR THE SPACEBAR!!! ANYTHING ELSE BUT THAT. Seriously though, I can stand all the other words used except for make it happen.

Offline vierax

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 06:00:27 »
Definitively the one in the middle-left (royal deep blue + gold yellow + purple is an excellent balanced scheme IMHO) but dye-sub on the purple may be not contrasted enough.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 06:26:50 »
And, FOR GOD'S SAKE NOT THE "MAKE IT HAPPEN" FOR THE SPACEBAR!!! ANYTHING ELSE BUT THAT. Seriously though, I can stand all the other words used except for make it happen.

Unfortunately he is absolutely right,  please do not go with "Make It Happen"  8) .

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 08:44:47 »
+ interest

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 08:53:02 »
So help me here:
1. ABS? PBT?
2. SA? DSA? DCS?

1) PBT
2) SA or DCS (edited)
3) Dye-subbed
4) as long as the legends are not italicized lol
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 September 2013, 11:42:51 by TLSC.wipeOut »
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline bahamot

• bistropolis - dine with style
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 09:15:49 »
I modified the first mockup just to follow the reference.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 September 2013, 09:17:30 by bahamot »

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Artichoke

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 09:57:05 »
Personally, I'd prefer blank PBT DSA over the current mockups as I'm not a big fan of the modifiers personally. I would love to have the ST logo win keys, and the UFP symbol on the FN key, but other than that I don't like the giant font or switch and switch mod. Those alone are enough of a turn off for me, but that could just be me I suppose.

I really don't think that anything other than blanks would be good price wise though, as with DS it would cost a ton for new legends, and even at ~25 cents a cap for dyesub you would be adding $26 to the cost of the set along with shipping to and from imsto.

I really love the idea of this set, but it seems like the costs would just start to pile up quickly if we have anything written on the caps.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 10:39:14 »

Make it ABS SA! And the exact font!  :eek:
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline GeeNDL82

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 11:16:01 »
i love SA profile. But please check on productor, i think they cannot use these color on S.A profile
Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club: http://vietnammechkey.com/

Offline norbauer

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 11:31:36 »
I would suggest that the proposed designs so far have been too literal. What about doing something like what they did in the Turtle Power group buy? Rather than putting a bunch of logos from the series all over everything, they went for something subtle and suggestive of the original theme.

We want this to be something tasteful that feels custom and fan-made, not like a cheap officially-licensed novelty souvenir. That already exists, and frankly, I don't think we need a repeat of this monstrosity:
36487-0

Also, any manufacturer in the US is likely to refuse to do something like the proposed designs because they contain so many Paramount trademarks.

Why not something like this?
36489-1

Subtly suggestive of the original design aesthetic, but without a) overdoing it or b) infringing on anyone's intellectual property.

It would also, incidentally, save us a ton on legends. We would just need to find a nice low profile with the right colors (I again suggest something like LP family, or Cherry-profile PBT, as close as we can get to chiclet, in keeping with the flat feel of the original LCARS designs).

I think this design would look amazing on a plain black Filco (etc). And of course the no-legends thing makes it super l33t. ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 September 2013, 11:34:24 by norbauer »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 11:36:05 »
Legends can be dye subbed from IMSTO.

I think everyone wants some SF and UFP logos at the least.

We can do blanks, but feel we do need a legends version. Blanks aren't for everyone.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 11:51:39 »
As far as I'm concerned using the official Paramount trademark logos is a no-go, but it's of course up to everyone else if you want to infringe.

Here is a version of my blanks design using actual PBT colors from signature plastics, very close the original reference design colors:
36498-0
(updated with profile diagrams)

I personally think this is extremely evocative of something you'd actually find on the Enterprise D—much more than any of the other designs proposed.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 September 2013, 12:03:29 by norbauer »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 11:59:56 »
As far as I'm concerned using the official Paramount trademark logos is a no-go, but it's of course up to everyone else if you want to infringe.

Here is a version of my blanks design using actual PBT colors from signature plastics, very close the original reference design colors:
(Attachment Link)

I personally think this is extremely evocative of something you'd actually find on the Enterprise D—much more than any of the other designs proposed.

That does look good as far as colors are concerned. I can understand different people have different view on licensed logos, and stuff. But we are not doing this on a commercial basis, but each person is getting them made for their own personal use.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 12:07:46 »
I can understand different people have different view on licensed logos, and stuff. But we are not doing this on a commercial basis, but each person is getting them made for their own personal use.

To be honest, my objections to the other proposed logos and legends are more aesthetic than legal. They make the keyset looks like a licensed toy about TNG rather than trying to simulate something you'd actually encounter in the show. This of course is just a question of choice and preference as to what people want.

I realize that blanks aren't for everyone, but again, such a project as this is, as you say, just an enthusiast/hobbyist concern. Might as well try to do something interesting and unusual that wouldn't otherwise be produced on a commercial basis.

But I am happy to concede the above is all just a question of my personal aesthetic take on the matter. Take it for whatever it's worth. ;)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 12:11:25 »
I'm interested in having a blank is LP profile ie the real deal

And DSA/SA with legends, for those that like the overall look but not really digging the whole "real feel"

Offline norbauer

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 12:37:21 »
I'm interested in having a blank is LP profile ie the real deal

And DSA/SA with legends, for those that like the overall look but not really digging the whole "real feel"

I think that sounds like a good balance, actually. Two very different approaches to the same theme/idea, together as a single Group Buy.

Perhaps call it "Galaxy Class: an LCARS-Inspired Family of Keysets" ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 September 2013, 12:56:29 by norbauer »

Offline divito

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 12:48:59 »

(Attachment Link)

I fully endorse this post and idea.

Offline Dansor

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 13:56:14 »
Definitely interested.  :) It's like you read my mind or something!

I would prefer SA, but DCS would also be suitable.

The color scheme should definitely be updated to more closely match the specs.

The windows key MUST be the starfleet logo if at all possible, and while I'd like the enter key to say "Make it so!", I think "Engage" might have more popular appeal while still maintaining the requisite level of nerdiness.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 14:06:07 »

I would suggest that the proposed designs so far have been too literal. What about doing something like what they did in the Turtle Power group buy? Rather than putting a bunch of logos from the series all over everything, they went for something subtle and suggestive of the original theme.

We want this to be something tasteful that feels custom and fan-made, not like a cheap officially-licensed novelty souvenir. That already exists, and frankly, I don't think we need a repeat of this monstrosity:
(Attachment Link)

Also, any manufacturer in the US is likely to refuse to do something like the proposed designs because they contain so many Paramount trademarks.

(Attachment Link)

Subtly suggestive of the original design aesthetic, but without a) overdoing it or b) infringing on anyone's intellectual property.

It would also, incidentally, save us a ton on legends. We would just need to find a nice low profile with the right colors (I again suggest something like LP family, or Cherry-profile PBT, as close as we can get to chiclet, in keeping with the flat feel of the original LCARS designs).

I think this design would look amazing on a plain black Filco (etc). And of course the no-legends thing makes it super l33t. ;)

I like these two the most. A StarFleet logo would be sick. And ABS SA is my preference. Followed by DCS. If it's PBT of any kind, I probably won't buy.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 15:34:14 »

(Attachment Link)

This color scheme.

Also, I agree about logos. I'd rather have blanks than logos.

As for font, I'm not overly picky. I like the original font, but I'd like just about anything else, too.

I'm all for SA profile. I'd love to see PBT SAs here. And actually, I think in keeping with the "retro future" theme, all row 3 profiles (essentially tall DSA profile) would look outstanding, and give it a hard retro look. But I might be alone looking for an all Row3 keyset here, and I acknowledge that.

And lastly, Please make the spacebar blank, and is there ANY way to not split "dis" and "engage" on the esc key?
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 15:49:46 »
Update:

Got information from SP:
1. LP profile is for Cherry ML
2. PBT SA/DSA is possible
3. No PBT Spacebar
4. DSA is the lowest profile they have for Cherry MX

Offline Dansor

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 16:03:46 »
Perhaps instead of a wrapped "disengage" for the escape key, "Eject Core" would work better.  If we're going to split, it might as well be two words.

Plus, "Eject Core" is essentially the "Oh Sh#t" of Star Trek.  Obviously, "Eject Warp Core" would be ideal, but that's pushing it in terms of length.

No offense to anyone, but I'm still trying to figure out where "Make It Happen" came from.
Is that a translation artifact of going to German?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 16:06:26 »
Update:

Got information from SP:
1. LP profile is for Cherry ML
2. PBT SA/DSA is possible
3. No PBT Spacebar
4. DSA is the lowest profile they have for Cherry MX

Interesting. Between SA and DSA I think I would favor DSA (for maximum flatness, as per the spirit of LCARS). I have never personally seen a photo of a full SA key cap set on a keyboard, so it's hard to say how that would suit the LCARS theme. (Really looking forward to getting my Calm Depths set to see what it looks like!)

However, both DSA and SA seem too retro for a TNG-era theme. SA would be perfect for a TOS set, but that is basically the opposite of LCARS.

I actually think of the MX profiles from SP, DCS makes the most sense because its roundness is more similar to the gently rounded rectangles and sleek modern look of LCARS.

Re material: I would still prefer PBT if they can color-match an ABS spacebar to the other letter keys in PBT. I already have to deal with an ABS spacebar on my Realforce, and I'm coming to terms with it. Maybe we can just include an extra couple spacebars in each set as a hedge against future shining of the plastic surface (I wish Topre would do this!) ;)

Might want to talk to QWER and see what they can do.

Also, any idea what sort of color-matching options can imsto offer in terms of PBT?
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 September 2013, 16:10:58 by norbauer »

Offline erson

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 16:08:33 »
No offense to anyone, but I'm still trying to figure out where "Make It Happen" came from.
Is that a translation artifact of going to German?

I'm thinking it is just a misquote of "Make it so"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 16:12:33 »

(Attachment Link)

I like these two the most. A StarFleet logo would be sick. And ABS SA is my preference. Followed by DCS. If it's PBT of any kind, I probably won't buy.

I would also like to throw my vote in for the original LCARS font.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 16:19:26 »
zomg.  I LOVE St@r W@rs.  May the force live long and prosper!  I can't wait for this.  Starfleet Jedi FTW !!101!!

I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 16:31:41 »
zomg.  I LOVE St@r W@rs.  May the force live long and prosper!  I can't wait for this.  Starfleet Jedi FTW !!101!!

Show Image

36532-0

Behave.