Author Topic: [IC] LCARS keyboard set - GB LIVE!!!  (Read 127304 times)

Offline bahamot

• bistropolis - dine with style
Re: [IC] LCARS keyboard set
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 06:19:42 »
OK, so I went back to some of the original Sternbach production memos and the Okuda mock-ups from the TNG technical manual published by Pocket Books back in the 80s and I came up with what is (I think) a set of legends that is very accurate to the original LCARS spirit, building on and playing off of Moz's original draft.

There was one correction that I thought was particularly important for accuracy: small lettering always top-bottom aligned to the one side large color bands is very characteristic of LCARS. Black lettering was almost never center-aligned in LCARS. It also makes this set much more subtle and classy set, IMO, more in keeping with the original aesthetic of the show.

I have also mocked up some potential keyset breakdowns.

Bear in the mind the color suggestions are still tentative until I can verify them with the SP color rings (which are in the mail!)

Looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks!

Here is a general low-res image to give you the feel of the three sets
(Attachment Link)

Here is a hi-res detail on the ABS legends set
(Attachment Link)

Here is the PBT dyesub with legends
(Attachment Link)

Here is a potential keysets breakdown for the legends sets
(Attachment Link)

And one for blanks
(Attachment Link)

The idea from the NumPad is obviously to invoke the common LCARS graphical trope:
Show Image

That's really awesome! Now this can't be cancelled for humanity to defense against ugly borg!  :D

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 06:34:17 »
This set is really coming together. I'd like to reiterate my vote for PBT Dyesub and anything but DSA profile. Plus, I'm in love with that numpad.

The one thing I would say, is I'm not a big fan of all of the standard mods (tab, ctrl, alt, windows key).
Is there a possibility of getting an alternate mod set with completely new (or extremely old) phrasing?

Maybe Tab could be Injct (interject)
CTRL could be CMD
ALT could be Proxy
Windows could be Prime

Just some ideas. If you've got something better, please speak up.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 06:49:22 »
Make every Star Trek nerd a MK nerd! That is our ulterior motive :P

Let's get the legends ready and some more mockups. And roll this thing out.

On the note of social media, I have a tumblr account set up where I've advertised my designs with WASDKeyboards for Tolkien's Tengwar alphabet, and the fan made Gallifreyan, of Doctor who.
That being said, my tengwar post has 14,000 reblogs and likes, where Gallifreyan (the newer of the two posts) has about 8,000.
I have 600 followers that hang on my every post waiting for updates on getting permissions so I, and WASD, can sell these keyboards.

I would HAPPILY put my following to use to promote this keycap set, and I know a significant amount of my followers are trekkers. But the vast majority of these followers are not MK nerds. Would you consider offering an upgrade options, MOZ, where they pay you to buy an unbranded QFR, and replace the keycaps for them? It might bring in potentially hundreds of extra buyers (just add a few dollars to the price for your labor) and you can have a cutoff. Say you'll only do 20, or 50 of the keycap swaps. Anybody else interested will have to buy a QFR on their own and figure it out.

Though, assuming this is still months down the line, I could offer to help swap some keycaps myself. I've got a busy month or so ahead of my with my own GB.

What do you guys think?

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 06:55:06 »
Unfortunately, Tumblr works best with pictures. Maybe it'd be best to hold that option for round two, when we have the chance to take some nice photos of the set and really entice people to buy in.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 07:12:13 »
FWIW, I think dyesub would also make the whole after-market illicit imsto logo thing much easier, for those who wanted to go that route.  :p

Then the PBT route it is, please make it SA because the thickness of each cap would be truly sublime.  Also Imsto can help out easily, because China rules when it comes to manufacturing logos/images  ;) .

Plus I've seen some of his work and it's really good.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 07:37:36 »
FWIW, I think dyesub would also make the whole after-market illicit imsto logo thing much easier, for those who wanted to go that route.  :p

Then the PBT route it is, please make it SA because the thickness of each cap would be truly sublime.  Also Imsto can help out easily, because China rules when it comes to manufacturing logos/images  ;) .

I think the biggest reason for my desperate plea for SA profile here is this picture

Taken from the set of Doctor Who, that's the TARDIS I/O.
I think SA in all R3 (flat top) would look AMAZING. It would have that futuristic retro feel.
I would **** myself if we did this in row3 SA profile.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #156 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:02:36 »
This set is really coming together. I'd like to reiterate my vote for PBT Dyesub and anything but DSA profile. Plus, I'm in love with that numpad.

The one thing I would say, is I'm not a big fan of all of the standard mods (tab, ctrl, alt, windows key).
Is there a possibility of getting an alternate mod set with completely new (or extremely old) phrasing?

Maybe Tab could be Injct (interject)
CTRL could be CMD
ALT could be Proxy
Windows could be Prime

Just some ideas. If you've got something better, please speak up.

That's an awesome idea. I have added some additional modifiers to the legend set (NB: though I am using the ABS colors in the mock-up, this would apply equally as well to PBT).

36940-0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #157 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:12:04 »
That ABS set with that num pad??

* CPTBadAss passes out from drooling too much

Offline norbauer

« Reply #158 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:20:25 »
On the note of social media, I have a tumblr account set up where I've advertised my designs with WASDKeyboards for Tolkien's Tengwar alphabet, and the fan made Gallifreyan, of Doctor who.
That being said, my tengwar post has 14,000 reblogs and likes, where Gallifreyan (the newer of the two posts) has about 8,000.
I have 600 followers that hang on my every post waiting for updates on getting permissions so I, and WASD, can sell these keyboards.

I would HAPPILY put my following to use to promote this keycap set, and I know a significant amount of my followers are trekkers.

Unfortunately, Tumblr works best with pictures. Maybe it'd be best to hold that option for round two, when we have the chance to take some nice photos of the set and really entice people to buy in.

That's very kind of you to offer, CalmB4tehPwn, and I for one would certainly be down for your promoting the GB once we have the details nailed down.

Also, if you want to wait for a second round when we have actual photos, etc., that suits me too.

PICARD: Yes. Consider the first time a run-through, a rehearsal to shake out the flaws.

It's a shame one can't get production samples from SP before committing to a final order. Moz: or can we?

But the vast majority of these followers are not MK nerds. Would you consider offering an upgrade options, MOZ, where they pay you to buy an unbranded QFR, and replace the keycaps for them? It might bring in potentially hundreds of extra buyers (just add a few dollars to the price for your labor) and you can have a cutoff. Say you'll only do 20, or 50 of the keycap swaps. Anybody else interested will have to buy a QFR on their own and figure it out.

I had actually been giving some thought to this. You're absolutely right that it's a problem: people who would otherwise be interested but who wouldn't have the first idea what to do with a set of keycaps not attached to a keyboard.

So I was actually thinking of maybe doing a very user-friendly video or other tutorial on my personal site, themed to this keyset, introducing people to MKs and explaining what they would need to buy and do in order to be able to have an LCARS set on a working board. Doing the swap-out ourselves just sounds like too much work, coordination, and investment in physical goods, which would then need to be stored, re-shipped, etc.

Thanks for all your friendly help and thoughts, CalmB4tehPwn!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #159 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:24:34 »
I think the biggest reason for my desperate plea for SA profile here is this picture

Show Image

I think SA in all R3 (flat top) would look AMAZING. It would have that futuristic retro feel.

In general terms, I love the idea of an all-same-height SA profile keyset. However, I personally just don't think it's right for this particular project/theme. It feels way too retro for LCARS. Even DSA seems to retro, IMO, but unfortunately it's our best option for a more or less flat keyset.

That being said, I'd love to, in a separate project, make a set basically exactly like the TARDIS one you posted! :D I find that super-retro "mainframe terminal" kind of look really exciting. It lends itself especially well to doubleshot too. But we digress. ;)

Offline vierax

« Reply #160 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:27:24 »
You need to look if SP lilac is warm or cold (that's the subtleness of the violet-purple range) but why not replacing some purple keys by red or pink to warm a bit the colours design (for example the modifiers row or tab, capslock and Lshift )

Offline norbauer

« Reply #161 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:37:07 »
You need to look if SP lilac is warm or cold (that's the subtleness of the violet-purple range) but why not replacing some purple keys by red or pink to warm a bit the colours design (for example the modifiers row or tab, capslock and Lshift )

I'm actually quite interested in this myself. I'm hoping I'll find something suitable when the color swatches arrive (this week or early next), and will report back then. It's hard to tell based on the online colors.

Just to be clear, though: were you referring to ABS or PBT?

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #162 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 13:48:22 »
Does anyone else think staggered QWERTY layout looks silly on 24th century or Timelord equipment?  ;D
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:02:34 »
Does anyone else think staggered QWERTY layout looks silly on 24th century or Timelord equipment?  ;D

Yes we need an awesome scheme for the ErgoDox.

Offline vierax

« Reply #164 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 15:07:06 »
Just to be clear, though: were you referring to ABS or PBT?
no ref in mind but if you ask :
easy in ABS since there is few choices : RCJ+RCR or RCS
harder in PBT : I like RCM it's warm but seems too dark to your purpose… maybe RCB+RCL because this salmon colour is warmer than a TPaper pink as RCA (according to the unaccurate SP pictures)

I think Matteo has a PBT sample ring, maybe he can confirm that.

Remember that you don't need a pure warm yellow because this colour is the brightest for the human eyes way more than white (I'm a figurative painter) and it surely be more eye-candy to have a yellow in pastel too because a pure one will be too aggressive, like a fluorescent colour. Pastel scheme is considered to be kitsch but it's relaxing too, it was very used in 80/90's deco so it's totally retro.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 September 2013, 23:23:09 by vierax »

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #165 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 22:33:27 »
We need a non-staggered TKL sized keyboard for this to go with.

I'd buy that.

Next project?

Offline vierax

« Reply #166 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 23:25:28 »
We need a non-staggered TKL sized keyboard for this to go with.
As a Tipro ? :D

Offline crazee64

« Reply #167 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 01:27:22 »
Good lord I think I would die if I could get a Dye-subbed PBT set in those colours.  :thumb:

I'd almost certainly buy a set if it's in DCS or DSA profile. Not sure how I'd feel about SA, even though I want a set - it feels wrong for this one somehow.
One question, how do you think it would look with the pale blue for F9-F12?
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 September 2013, 01:31:42 by crazee64 »
Keyboards: Ducky 9008G2PRO PBT (MX Browns)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #168 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 02:20:28 »
Good lord I think I would die if I could get a Dye-subbed PBT set in those colours.  :thumb:

Yep, I would join him if it could be done in those colours for sure.  They would have to make extra room in HELL/Heaven - for me.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #169 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 03:46:43 »
Damn it there are takers for:

- Blank ABS
- Blank PBT
- Legends ABS (Double Shot)
- Legends PBT(Dyesub, Double Shot?)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 03:47:43 »
Once we finalise the colors. we will decide the material and printing via a poll.

We all need that numpad.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #171 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 04:06:19 »
Accurate colours are the priority for me. I'm warming up to the legend version too.

Edit: Also can we get an IC thread for that Doctor set? I'm not even into the new ones , but would be a great SA set.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 September 2013, 04:08:45 by stoic-lemon »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #172 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 04:16:31 »

Show Image

This looks very doable. If noone takes this one, I'll start an IC for this. :)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #173 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 04:22:39 »

I hope so.  Because having them as SA alone, puts them in the "I will MURDER a MILLION MM's to GET THEM" list.  Count on that :thumb: .

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #174 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 04:29:13 »

I hope so.  Because having them as SA alone, puts them in the "I will MURDER a MILLION MM's to GET THEM" list.  Count on that :thumb: .

YES. I'll wait if someone want to take command, otherwise I'll have to do it.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #175 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 05:56:50 »

Just be careful if YOU want to run a Group Buy here on Geekhack.  It's not easy that's why I would personally never do it, because of the huge amount of pressure applied to someone when the money starts rolling in.  Plus the problems and obstacles that need to be sorted out quickly along the way.

I would pass it onto i3oiler for instance because that individual runs his business perfectly with no lag between designing, manufacturing and sorting key-sets.  Hence please beg him to take this on if you can.  I know there are others here on Geekhack that could also do it professionally with no problems but I haven't dealt with them yet.  i3oiler always lets you know what's happening and there are no surprises to the customers when he runs a Group Buy (aka. relax he's not my buddy or relative).

Jil_jil32 is another individual who could run this but I think he's too preoccupied with other Group Buys to successfully run this one.  But who knows, he maybe a masochist that enjoys that much pressure being applied onto him.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 September 2013, 05:58:36 by Elrick »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #176 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 11:32:42 »

Just be careful if YOU want to run a Group Buy here on Geekhack.  It's not easy that's why I would personally never do it, because of the huge amount of pressure applied to someone when the money starts rolling in.  Plus the problems and obstacles that need to be sorted out quickly along the way.

I would pass it onto i3oiler for instance because that individual runs his business perfectly with no lag between designing, manufacturing and sorting key-sets.  Hence please beg him to take this on if you can.  I know there are others here on Geekhack that could also do it professionally with no problems but I haven't dealt with them yet.  i3oiler always lets you know what's happening and there are no surprises to the customers when he runs a Group Buy (aka. relax he's not my buddy or relative).

Jil_jil32 is another individual who could run this but I think he's too preoccupied with other Group Buys to successfully run this one.  But who knows, he maybe a masochist that enjoys that much pressure being applied onto him.

I'm running 3 GBs, one is almost in completion of receiving money and production is almost beginning, alos doing Asian proxy for one.

I also have multiple ICs, prototypes and some custom work too. So I think I can handle it ;)

Besides there is always a first, current GB organizers didn't drop from the sky, they started somewhere?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #177 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 12:33:04 »

I'm running 3 GBs, one is almost in completion of receiving money and production is almost beginning, alos doing Asian proxy for one.

I also have multiple ICs, prototypes and some custom work too. So I think I can handle it ;)

Besides there is always a first, current GB organizers didn't drop from the sky, they started somewhere?

I'm sure you can handle it Moz!:D (I'm very excited for the switch sticker GB, btw!)

Though I'm not really much of a Dr Who nerd—and thus, unlike TNG, I can't help so much with the production background info, etc.—I would be happy to take a crack at the design and mock-ups for the row-3 SA TARDIS board if you guys want to explore that project seriously. I think it would be really cool. It should be relatively straightforward since we have a photograph of an actual keyset we'd be basing it on, whereas LCARS has required a somewhat creative interpretation of the abstract LCARS theme into to the retrograde technological realm of the physical keyboard.

Re the ergodox issue, I would be happy to mock-up a keyset for that, but I would need some base artwork, and a guide on which keys go where. Or do ergodox folks mostly prefer blanks? I tend to see ergodox sets in blanks for some reason in other GBs.

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #178 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 12:38:55 »
Now that everything is changed up a bit, I find myself actually liking the legends!
They look more realistic and less like a toy.
[pic]shut up and take my money[/pic]

so are you saying that if we went the route of dye sub pbt, we could combine the moq for blanks and legends into a single moq.
then ship the correct amount of sets to imsto for the dye subbing or have them all shipped to imsto and only legend however many?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #179 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 13:25:33 »
Re the ergodox issue, I would be happy to mock-up a keyset for that, but I would need some base artwork, and a guide on which keys go where. Or do ergodox folks mostly prefer blanks? I tend to see ergodox sets in blanks for some reason in other GBs.
Check my CAD resources thread, it has the layout for the ErgoDox. Most users either use the alphas and blanks or all blanks, so color scheme is what we are aiming for here.

Now that everything is changed up a bit, I find myself actually liking the legends!
They look more realistic and less like a toy.
[pic]shut up and take my money[/pic]

so are you saying that if we went the route of dye sub pbt, we could combine the moq for blanks and legends into a single moq.
then ship the correct amount of sets to imsto for the dye subbing or have them all shipped to imsto and only legend however many?
We could go both ways:
1. Get blanks and dye subbed legends (Non - logos) from SP and distribute simultaneously gt the logos dye-subbed from IMSTO and then distribute them separately.
2. All keys from SP, all dyesubbed at IMSTO and then distribute them

We'll take whichever ends up being cheaper

Offline norbauer

« Reply #180 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 15:18:22 »
The color rings arrived! I'm currently sorting through them, comparing them to my sample from the TNG set, and will report back shortly.

First impression: ABS color looks way better in person than in the online photos from the SP site.

Anyway, I'm hard at work figuring out the best batches from both materials and I'll provide my own photos shortly!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #181 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 15:20:36 »
The color rings arrived! I'm currently sorting through them, comparing them to my sample from the TNG set, and will report back shortly.

First impression: ABS color looks way better in person than in the online photos from the SP site.

Anyway, I'm hard at work figuring out the best batches from both materials and I'll provide my own photos shortly!

You are a rock star!

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #182 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 15:23:11 »
i think the legends are essential with this set and they need to be good quality and preferably a little larger than normal Cherry or WYSE legends but not like childish. Without recognizable legends i am not sure if anyone will connect this is a LCARS/Trek set, it may look like a vomit board instead; i guess no matter what though by definition this will be a vomit board.

I think these would go good on a black acrylic keyboard with large bezels so that you can apply maybe some neat vinyl LCARS stickers to finish it off and rock with style. the ergodox could have that large open area on the top layer covered with some neat sticker (would only work if the top layer is black or dark opaque).  i dunno something like these things https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1734&bih=692&q=lcars+shapes&oq=lcars+shapes&gs_l=img.3..0.1341.4011.0.5212.12.7.0.5.5.0.134.673.5j2.7.0....0...1ac.1.27.img..0.12.678.Hj0gOWkANSA

i hope i am making sense.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 15:36:13 »

Just sayin'

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #184 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 15:51:41 »
i think the legends are essential with this set and they need to be good quality and preferably a little larger than normal Cherry or WYSE legends but not like childish. Without recognizable legends i am not sure if anyone will connect this is a LCARS/Trek set, it may look like a vomit board instead; i guess no matter what though by definition this will be a vomit board.

I think these would go good on a black acrylic keyboard with large bezels so that you can apply maybe some neat vinyl LCARS stickers to finish it off and rock with style. the ergodox could have that large open area on the top layer covered with some neat sticker (would only work if the top layer is black or dark opaque).  i dunno something like these things https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1734&bih=692&q=lcars+shapes&oq=lcars+shapes&gs_l=img.3..0.1341.4011.0.5212.12.7.0.5.5.0.134.673.5j2.7.0....0...1ac.1.27.img..0.12.678.Hj0gOWkANSA

i hope i am making sense.

If the GB happens, I might supply case with the shapes made in acrylic itself (So no need to paste vinyl)for any of my open source designs with larger bezels. I know I would make one for msyself for sure with a yellow rounded elbow int the top-left corner. Matching exact colors might be a problem.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #185 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 19:22:34 »
We could go both ways:
1. Get blanks and dye subbed legends (Non - logos) from SP and distribute simultaneously gt the logos dye-subbed from IMSTO and then distribute them separately.

Careful about the "Cheaper" mentality because you will get what you paid for.  That is why really excellent dye-sub work costs, plus you need samples of the company's work to determine if they could accomplish the task accurately.  No fussiness (GMK's work is near perfection) and equal spacing for each key in their thousands.

I've seen some horrors in dye-sub, simply because they did it for a very cheap price.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #186 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 19:26:24 »
We could go both ways:

Careful about the "Cheaper" mentality because you will get what you paid for.  That is why really excellent dye-sub work costs, plus you need samples of the company's work to determine if they could accomplish the task accurately.  No fussiness (GMK's work is near perfection) and equal spacing for each key in their thousands.

I've seen some horrors in dye-sub, simply because they did it for a very cheap price.

"Cheap" would not b the only weighing factor :D

We've heard good things about IMSTO, and some bad as well. I know GMK does a good job. Not sure about SP.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #187 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 21:03:06 »
We've heard good things about IMSTO, and some bad as well. I know GMK does a good job. Not sure about SP.

Very curious about SP's ability to make perfect Dye-subbed Key-caps.  We still haven't seen any samples of whole key-sets being done.  I have bought their RGB versions some time back and they looked pretty nice.  But doing a whole keyboard of caps, that is another venture entirely and have never seen any examples.  I just wish Melissa would show some photos of a keyboard with their latest dye-sub work, including some close up visions.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 September 2013, 21:04:45 by Elrick »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #188 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 22:16:46 »
We could go both ways:

"Cheap" would not b the only weighing factor :D

I would personally favor choosing whoever could offer the highest quality.

Based purely on what I've seen online, I would guess that IMSTO and SP both do excellent dyesub work, with SP perhaps being slightly crisper. I would love to hear from someone who has samples from both in hand for direct comparison.

You can have a look at Ragnarock's threads to see recent IMSTO work. A random sample:

Here is a pic of a SP dyesub:

Offline norbauer

« Reply #189 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 22:24:10 »
If the GB happens, I might supply case with the shapes made in acrylic itself (So no need to paste vinyl)for any of my open source designs with larger bezels. I know I would make one for msyself for sure with a yellow rounded elbow int the top-left corner. Matching exact colors might be a problem.

I wonder if you could do a case that matches the color of the bridge LCARS panel housings. It is a sort somewhere between a tan and a beige. And then you could have the deck underneath the keys be black (which would hopefully show through a bit, like on the KMACs you often see with red decks which are visible below the keys).

Still working on the color combinations and matching with the sample rings, btw. I now have what I think are my best recommendations based on seeing them in real life. I plan to update the mock-ups this evening, and then tomorrow when there is natural light, I'll take photos of them all together and post them. I was very surprised that many of the colors looked radically different in real life. It has been a struggle to balance screen-accuracy with finding a set of 4-5 colors that also actually look good together—all within the confines of a very limited set of color options within each material. But I think I've come up with something workable! More soon. :)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #190 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 22:27:26 »
And thus why I said we'll go with cheaper option since both are of top-notch quality.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #191 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 01:17:11 »
OK everybody. Here is the new dyesub mock-up. I struggled with this all night, compared the SP color ring samples to my translite from the TNG set, compared them to many different screencaps, and also just considered how the colors looked together as an actual set of colors in the real world together. This was a lot of concerns  to balance (especially within the constraints of the very limited SP color palette), but I'm pretty happy with the result.

I found that a several of the real-world colors varied drastically from the digital samples online. While I tried my best to get the Illustrator mock-up colors to resemble how the plastics look in real life, doing that perfectly wasn't possible. In particular, OAY is a very bright orange-sherbert sort of color that I haven't been able satisfactorily to replicate in RGB.

Anyway, I have a lot of arcane reasoning for why every single little choice was made, but I'll save that for subsequent discussion, because frankly I've been at this all afternoon and evening and am exhausted. ;)

I'll work on the ABS tomorrow morning. I have the colors all worked out and photographed together. I just need to put them into the mockup.

Hope you like where things are headed. This turns out to be a lot of work, but it's fun. :)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #192 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 01:22:32 »
7 colors? We better hit good numbers or this might be very expensive.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #193 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 01:28:17 »
7 colors? We better hit good numbers or this might be very expensive.

Well, I can easily reduce that to 5-6. I don't have a good grasp on how much a color addition impacts the costing. Two of the colors used are only used in single modifier keys in the add-on pack.

The reason I added the purple was that some people said that they though it was too heavily skewed toward the red/pink, and going over screencaps I've noticed that LCARS actually uses tons of purple.

Would you like me to re-do the mockup to a version using 6 colors (i.e., ditching the tan spacebar and reddish Esc)? Unforch we have to keep the gray, even though it's only used in a single key, due to the need for the spacebar to be ABS.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #194 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 01:30:58 »
Don't worry let me get some pricing once we decide on the ABS as well and printing mechanism

Offline norbauer

« Reply #195 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 01:37:54 »
Don't worry let me get some pricing once we decide on the ABS as well and printing mechanism

OK, that makes sense. I kind of figured I would design for the ideal scenario and then we can trim back as needed anyway. I know people love having mod and options, so I tried to give people interesting variants. Will do the same with the ABS tomorrow.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #196 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 03:41:36 »
Good....good lord. It's beautiful. Legends all the way for me now. I'll have to get a TK board as well. Looks likes the Topre I'm typing this on will go to my wife.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #197 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 06:02:54 »
Looks likes the Topre I'm typing this on will go to my wife.

For sure, Topre's were always made for women  :p .  Men tend to stick with BS and/or Cherries  :thumb: .

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #198 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 08:20:07 »
How are SP's DSA PBT caps? I've got some of their ABS caps and am THOROUGHLY unimpressed. To the point where I would probably be out of this GB if that's what we went with. I'm still hesitant with PBT as well, as I can't imagine they'll be that much different.

SA keycaps just have substance like DSA specifically doesn't. They're thin, and just sound hollow typing on them.

Are their PBT caps any better?

Offline Artichoke

« Reply #199 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 08:52:45 »
I've got a set of pbt dsa, and I am quite happy with them personally.